LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

Just now, egg said:

I've registered on the greeves riders forum - on the hunt for any villiers info really, but a search on the forum produced this pic...

ah that might be why its familiar, as I have done some sleuthing on the greeves forums in the past too :) 

if your on the hunt for Villiers info, does this mean we might finally see you make an attempt at a first start? :) (or at least unseize the the lot! im still curious if its the engine that wont turn or something else) 

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

if your on the hunt for Villiers info, does this mean we might finally see you make an attempt at a first start? :) (or at least unseize the the lot! im still curious if its the engine that wont turn or something else) 

Sometime in 2020...!

28 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

This. My 1959 Vespa had no paperwork when I got it from a family member and it didn't show up on DVLA. I went round the houses, trying to find old taxation records to no avail, and - as a last resort - filled in a V62 as if I'd just bought it without a registration document. Bingo! Turns out it had last been taxed in 1979 and not transferred to the new computerised system, but was still on their records. A V5c arrived showing me as the first and only owner! This was closely followed by a letter saying I should return it because there was an error on it. Obviously I did nothing of the sort, but a few days later another V5c arrived with my name as keeper and, this time, my Uncle as the previous owner :D

very interesting! what makes you think that it was not on the DVLAs computerised system? is it an assumption or did someone at the DVLA say so? my understanding that if the vehicle was never added to the computer system at any point in time then your out of luck unless you have a buff logbook, or you V765 it

however I I think your vespa was transferred to the early computer system, then archived after a long period of inactivity, going by that 1979 tax due date

as sounds like it did have a V5 back in the day, and if it had a V5 it would of been on the DVLCs new system they setup starting in 1974, 

certainly I have documented in my thread a Moped with a 1979 V5 that was last taxed in 1979 that no longer shows up on the DVLA checker, telling me that indeed it was added to the computer system (otherwise it would not have a v5) but that the DVLA obviously removed it from the database at some point in time

but its very interesting to hear that you can just V62 them :) did you include any documents or cover letters, or did you literally just fill out the V62 with £25 cheque and send it off?

does it say "number of Former keepers from such and such date" or does it just say Number of former keepers 1? (as generally keeper counts did not transfer over from the buff logbooks, so you would sometimes see "number of keepers from such and such date" telling whoever was interested in the vehicle that there could be more keepers then stated, just that the records only go back to that date)

and the fact that your uncles details are there, is another thing that makes me think that your moped was stuck on the new system, but then fell out of use pretty early on in that new systems life, so at some point they archived it after a long period of inactivity

im still trying to figure out when and why the DVLA did the archiving that they did, I heard stories that they where running out of computer space in the 1980s so archived a bunch of inactive vehicles, but I have not found solid proof of that yet sadly

On 12/14/2019 at 10:49 PM, LightBulbFun said:

dragging this one over here, 

because its very interesting to see such an old V5, 1979 is the oldest V5 I have seen, and its been quite interesting to study :) 

1486859902_s-l1600(15).thumb.jpg.9f40a12ace6929b6af008c291c1fca7d.jpg

first thing of note, is indeed it looks like the 11 digit number has been a thing since the start of the V5,

its also very interesting to see the "No of former keepers, None since March 1978" im guessing thats when this moped was transitioned from a Buff logbook to the V5 system

but very interestingly it does NOT show up on the DVLA checker or my 3rd party tools, im guessing this is one of those vehicles that got archived by the DVLA in the 1980s or so, but its interesting to see that indeed even if a vehicle is definitely part of the V5 system it can still vanish from the DVLA database, it helps explains why even into 1978, there are still the Odd Model 70, that don't show up on the DVLA even tho they would of almost certainly been V5ed from new, and would of most likely survived into the early 1980s at least

it would be very interesting to see what would the DVLA said if you called em up about them and enquired about this moped

(im curious if you would get the same "partial record" response that @egg got with XWC, I still wonder about XWC if it was, ever part of the V5 system, and it got archived or did the DVLA just happen to have the old paper records for it still...)

On 12/17/2019 at 6:28 PM, LightBulbFun said:

was just checking the listing to see if it had ended yet (so that I could then keep an eye on it on the DVLA checker, im curious how it pops up again if the next owner does road registire it once more)

when I noticed the tax disk, which looks to have expired on the 29th of the 2nd 1980,

263603030_s-l1600(9).thumb.jpg.4b452ebcc342272c6554c837bc067c4a.jpg

and this is interesting, because it gives us some idea of how the early DVLA system worked, and how long a vehicle would have to have been untaxed for for it to NOT show up on the DVLA checker/database

this date also roughly lines up with XWC468F's untaxed date of 1st aug 1980 from when that was made alive again

which makes me think that XWC was indeed part of the V5 scheme but it got archived at some point in time still, then unarchived when @egg sent the V62 off for it

I wonder when the decision was made to archive these vehciles,

iv heard stories of the DVLA running out of computer space in 1980s and archiving long inactive vehicles, but its just stories, iv never had any concrete evidence on that all

obviously we do know from this bike and @egg's Mk12 there was some sort of archiving and cut off point going on, but i'm curious when exactly that happened and why

I can say it does look like if the vehicle was inactive/untaxed since 1980 or before it got archived and nuked, at some unknown point in time

(esp as im pretty sure almost all if not all vehicles I know of which do have 1980 or older tax due dates, have Last V5s issued etc from after that date making them still active on the system past 1980 so would not of been archived and hence why they show up still despite the 1980 or before Tax due dates)

one final Mk12 Block discovered and surviving Mk12 identified before the new year/new decade :) 

I think I now have every single known surviving Invacar Mk12E that has a known chassis number fully identified now :) 

said final Mk12 being EWC163H Im pretty sure, part of the EWC101H-EWC200H block

sadly the only one from that block to show up EWC102H and its chassis number is obviously wrong when I pull it, but looking at the dates of first registration etc im pretty confident that the Unknown car is EWC163H (as I knew the car sat in the block just after the ENO101G-ENO200G block)

and ENO-G block spans June-July, and EWC-H starts one starts 1st of August so im confident its the block that comes right after ENO101G-ENO200G, making the unknown Car EWC163H :) 

185299472_Screenshot2019-12-31at21_49_45.thumb.png.cb734489346d76160aaffc9a4b2ef634.png

5 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

very interesting! what makes you think that it was not on the DVLAs computerised system? is it an assumption or did someone at the DVLA say so? my understanding that if the vehicle was never added to the computer system at any point in time then your out of luck unless you have a buff logbook, or your V765 it

however I I think your vespa was transferred to the early computer system, then archived after a long period of inactivity, going by that 1979 tax due date

as sounds like it did have a V5 back in the day, and if it had a V5 it would of been on the DVLCs new system they setup starting in 1974, 

certainly I have documented in my thread a Moped with a 1979 V5 that was last taxed in 1979 that no longer shows up on the DVLA checker, telling me that indeed it was added to the computer system (otherwise it would not have a v5) but that the DVLA obviously removed it from the database at some point in time

but its very interesting to hear that you can just V62 them :) did you include any documents or cover letters, or did you literally just fill out the V62 with £25 cheque and send it off?

does it say "No of Former keepers from such and such date" or does it just say Number of former keepers 1? (as generally keeper counts did not transfer over from the buff logbooks, so you would sometimes see "number of keepers from such and such date" telling whoever was interested in the vehicle that there could be more keepers then stated, just that the records only go back to that date)

and the fact that your uncles details was there, does make me think that your moped was stuck on the new system, but then fell out of use pretty early on in that new systems life, so at some point they archived it

im still trying to figure out when and why the DVLA did the archiving that they did, I heard stories that they where running out of computer space in the 1980s so archived a bunch of inactive vehicles, but I have not found solid proof of that yet sadly

Mine was an assumption based on checking it online and it not being there... your suggestion about it being archived definitely sounds likely, as I did the V888 thing straight afterwards (it was still allowed then) and they said they had nothing at all, indicating that they must have got what they knew from an existing electronic record?

I had no log book, tax discs or anything else that would have got it re-registered, so the V62 was a 'last chance saloon' thing suggested by a mate - no supporting documentation or anything, I just filled in the form and packed it off with the £25 and waited. I got a letter that said my application was being processed, and that made me check online, and to my great joy there it was!

I got the date of registration (10/7/59) which I never knew, and the colour came back as NOT STATED. The first document I got says simply 'NONE' for the previous registered keeper:

image.thumb.png.32caf945e16447143828781d015fc36f.png

and here's the second one (My Uncle's details redacted):

image.thumb.png.7f638ce3914dc132eea244677fec1593.png

The date it says he acquired it is the date of first registration. He very definitely was not the first keeper, as it was about three years old when he (and my Dad) got hold of it.

46 minutes ago, HMC said:

Brilliant, dedicated work. How do you find a starting point for searching a block? Great commitment. 

Thanks :) it can vary somewhat depending on exact circumstances

but for example with the above with EWC163H

I knew of a Mk12 with a chassis number, but no known registration number

now I knew of the ENO101G-ENO200G block from the haywood pictures, this told me that ENO-G contained an Invacar block

MAP671.jpg

and previously I searched the block and found ENO101G that still showed up, and with my tools I was able to pull its chassis number

this then told me "ok the ENO-G block, ENO101G-ENO200G covers such and such chassis numbers"

then looking at the unknown Mk12s I knew of

I could see "oh this Mk12 has a chassis number that is just after the end of the ENO block"

this told me what reg series I should start going through to search for it,

so I know invacar blocks are 100 cars big normally

I knew it was from Just after ENO-G

so then I started going up alphabetically in jumps of 100 through the essex markers until I found the block :) 

so I went though EPU-G ETW-G so forth in jumps of 100 until I found the block in EWC-H :) and then ill search through that block till I find one that shows up and pull its chassis number to confirm things, then its an easy case of "ok this Mk12 AAA123A, is Chassis number 123 my unknown Mk12 is 130 so its registration will be AAA130A"

(I had the extra fun of there being a suffix change in the middle of it all, but thats not too hard to figure out when you switch suffixes)

I hope this all makes sense!

in the past I had chassis numbers which where a good 2 or 3 blocks away from the last known block, but its still the same case of going up alphabeticly finding block after block until you find the block the chassis number sits in

which is what I did here :) https://autoshite.com/topic/32723-invacar-model-70-acquired-and-general-ramble-thread-index-on-page-1-phase-2-finding-a-suitable-driving-schoolinstructor-getting-lessons-and-a-licence-16th-lesson-had-mum-wants-a-car/?do=findComment&comment=1897501

34 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

Mine was an assumption based on checking it online and it not being there... your suggestion about it being archived definitely sounds likely, as I did the V888 thing straight afterwards (it was still allowed then) and they said they had nothing at all, indicating that they must have got what they knew from an existing electronic record?

I had no log book, tax discs or anything else that would have got it re-registered, so the V62 was a 'last chance saloon' thing suggested by a mate - no supporting documentation or anything, I just filled in the form and packed it off with the £25 and waited. I got a letter that said my application was being processed, and that made me check online, and to my great joy there it was!

I got the date of registration (10/7/59) which I never knew, and the colour came back as NOT STATED. The first document I got says simply 'NONE' for the previous registered keeper:

image.thumb.png.32caf945e16447143828781d015fc36f.png

and here's the second one (My Uncle's details redacted):

image.thumb.png.7f638ce3914dc132eea244677fec1593.png

The date it says he acquired it is the date of first registration. He very definitely was not the first keeper, as it was about three years old when he (and my Dad) got hold of it.

18 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

Further to the above:

image.thumb.jpeg.8c3a3d1b721c3a92d49f47cd893e3d2b.jpeg

very interesting :) 

it makes me wonder how many vehicles the DVLA has archived, im surprised the DVLA has not just unarchived the lot

seeing as in this day and age running out of computer space is not really a problem anymore!

although who knows how they are archived exactly or whats involved in unarchiving them

also makes me more specifically wonder about all the Invalid vehicles I have checked that dont show up, I wonder how many the DVLA actually do have info on

I know DOO867G, EWC163H, MPU532J, and NPU156J, belong to Alan hitchcock, the guy with the Garden of Mk12's, for sale, sadly none show up on the checker, but it would be very interesting to see if he wants to V62 them and see what happens :)

(FOO134H belongs the Jesda technik museum, so not in england anymore sadly)

this one has been fun!, having finished off all the Mk12E's I figured id challenge myself to something a bit older and more difficult

in that Simon of the ICR in his gaggle of 7 Mk12's has I think exactly 1 that still has a chassis plate still, so I figured id have a bash at IDing it, only its an early Mk12c so would be much more of a challenge as I have less jumping off points from that period, and less and less vehicles still show on the DVLA checker the older you get 

( @egg's Mk12c is the only Mk12c I know of that's been fully and correctly identified, and this Unknown Mk12c im trying to ID is about 800 cars prior) the only other Mk12c I know of with a registration mark is WOO976F and sadly its chassis number is from a newer Mk12D I think, certainly does not match the registration number sadly)

however thankfully I knew of this Mk12c Brochure, complete with a picture of what i imagine is a very early Mk12c!

Invacar brochure pic 1.jpg

and amazingly going through the block one does show up!, sadly tho its chassis number is very obviously wrong, as in it has the chassis number of a B or C Suffix Mk12!

image.thumb.png.2e3740d2509ddc3a40e73819f7a053ec.png

so that meant I could not use it sadly, as I still did not know what chassis numbers the THK-E block actually covered

but I knew since the car im trying to ID is a Mk12c I could use the THK-E block as a jumping off point to go forward, and I found the TTW101E-TTW200E block, but sadly none show up from that block

then heres where things get proper weird!

after Txx-E comes Uxx-E alphabeticly right?

yet for some weird reason Uxx-E for the essex area was issued BEFORE Txx-E

im not sure why, but its properly weird, and I was about to write off the entire Uxx-E reg ranges because it would mess up the Invacar blocks alphabetically

but low and behold I found the UNO-E block, and one does show up (by the skin of its teeth seeing as the block is UNO301E-UNO400E) and just like the Uxx-E reg series it was registered February 1967!

where as THK195E which was issued alphabetically before it was registered later, at least UNO399E's chassis number looks to be accurate I THINK so I can use it as another jumping off point

(although if UNO399E's chassis number is to believe it is about 1800 cars prior to XWC468F, so if my maths is correct that meant they made 1800 over 12 months, or 5 a day, which sounds a bit high, I know Stuart said they made 3 a day, but im not sure if he was talking about the Model 70 or the Mk12 or such)

image.thumb.png.2b735e18a494d043307bb72b8724d144.png

properly weird, I wonder why Uxx-E was issued before Txx-E,

it will be interesting to know if anyone has any idea! and ill continue going through the rest of the Uxx-E markers in search for blocks

(as a side note it looks like UWC-E was never issued for some reason, and that things thankfully snap back to normal with Vxx-E)

had my 17th lesson today, as my instructor is back from christmas break :)

as mentioned previously a good few pages back now, my roundabouts needed work so today we focused on that (they are easy enough to understand 

think im doing better now when it comes to roundabouts, (but he said my steering in general still needs work, I still go out wide a bit sometimes when making turns etc, I think my main issue there is I get worried ill end up turning in too much and/or won't be able to straighten the wheel in time and end up turning too much, that and I think Im still getting used to the car itself and how it handles etc)

but otherwise it went pretty well, I was especially interested in seeing how I would do after the few week hiatus and im happy to report that I did not have any issues getting back into the swing of things :) 

and next lesson which is on tuesday my instructor says will get back on schedule of treating each lesson as if it was a test etc and seeing how I do so that's a good sign!

I have also topped up my BSM account with some more hours, although I think normally id be taking my practical pretty soon, (but iv not actually asked how many more lessons he thinks I need) 

I figured just to be safe in light of the theory test only happening on the 21st and knowing that I have to do that first before I can even try and take the practical

Id top it up so I can keep taking lessons till the 21st, and just so i'm not sitting around twiddling thumbs if I happen to be ready for my practical before I have taken my theory test/the 21st rolls around, it means I might end up doing more lessons then strictly necessary but I don't mind, it will keep me "fresh" if that makes sense! and more experience is never a bad thing :) 

(if my maths is correct and assuming nothing changes etc, I have about 5 more lessons till the 21st, as I have 2 lessons a week normally)

im hoping regardless by the 21st after my theory test that I will be ready for the practical, but I guess we will have to wait and see how I continue to do :) 

Interesting stuff regarding the DVLA potentially archiving vehicles and removing them from the computer, which makes sense given the limitations of 1980s computer systems. I wonder if this is the reason for the mysterious 'not taxed for on road use' status that no one's ever been able to explain. Seems likely that certain vehicles that were known to still exist but hadn't been taxed for years were set up with auto-renewing tax on an arbitrary mid-month date to keep them live and prevent them being archived onto paper and deleted from the system in case they were put back on the road in future.

1 hour ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Good luck with your theory test @LightBulbFun

1 hour ago, overrun said:

Back on page 1! I was worried for a second. ?

haha, this latest Mk12c I have been trying ID has really been a tough cookie to crack

I have found several Suspect Invacar Mk12 blocks, but sadly none show up on the DVLA, its one of the big issues when trying to ID something this old

so far I have found UVX101E-UVX200E looks like a block but none show up so I cant say for sure currently what chassis numbers those cover (although I dont think theres any blocks between UNO-E and UVX-E so its easy to theorise what chassis numbers it covers)

I then found the VEV401E-VEV500E block and 2 show up from that block in fact consecutively!, but both sadly have chassis numbers that are obviously wrong (VEV446E has 7 total keepers, and VEV447E comes back as a Tricycle with the Cylinder capacity of a Model 70 LOL)

image.thumb.png.5e9c46dc66b53848b0bfecbbb6acdb88.pngimage.thumb.png.46118748647abbe7f1ee3c3d851b627f.png

then I found VPU801E-VPU900E another suspected block, but none show up sadly

then heres where things get a bit tricky VVW601E-VVW700E MIGHT be a block but the problem is VVW-E is right at the suffix change and between VVW551E-VVW853E nothing shows up, so its hard to say if theres an Invacar Block there or just a bunch of registrations that where reserved by someone but never got issued etc

then again from VVX864E onwards I cant find anything, so VVX900E-VVX999E might be block but again hard to say

and as it stands currently ill be going through WHK-F soon (already been through WEV-F and not found anything)

but knowing the chassis numbers at play here, I fear that I have already passed the Mk12c im trying to ID here, so things are going to get interesting if thats the case!

1 hour ago, quicksilver said:

Interesting stuff regarding the DVLA potentially archiving vehicles and removing them from the computer, which makes sense given the limitations of 1980s computer systems. I wonder if this is the reason for the mysterious 'not taxed for on road use' status that no one's ever been able to explain. Seems likely that certain vehicles that were known to still exist but hadn't been taxed for years were set up with auto-renewing tax on an arbitrary mid-month date to keep them live and prevent them being archived onto paper and deleted from the system in case they were put back on the road in future.

indeed tis very interesting and exciting, as until now most people would think if it doesn't show up then you have to register it again when now we know you might not have to :)  the not taxed for on road use thing still perplexes me tho, because I have seen it on vehicles that where first registered with the DVLA in the late 1990s/2000s. (so way after the archiving of the 1980s or so)

image.thumb.png.6edd263ece3cb30d02f24d202e3e87d9.png

I have wondered if its what get displayed when info about when the vehicle was last taxed etc is lost or such, but It would not explain why a large number of Electric Tippen Deltas are down as Not taxed for on road use 

(and as a side note on those Tippens I notice pretty much all, as well as a lot not taxed for on road use Model 64's have Date of Last v5c issued as the 17th of November 1983 for some reason)

image.thumb.png.0a5f72097d6dffed1ce0b24ddf7bd80b.png

and same for this V8 land rover Invacar Model 70

image.thumb.png.456972095e4fa45b35f9c3f9b8de1a3f.png

and this one too

image.thumb.png.e84c1f95f0852e3b10a26cd6ee755fcb.png

I wonder if its some sort of placeholder date or something else? (but iv seen plenty of results that just return not available so I don't think there needs to be a date there)

48 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

What's the difference between the Mk12a/b/c etc? 

post-3924-0-79457700-1550177188.jpg

(NB a few corrections to the text above, the dates of each versions introduction are not entirely accurate anymore, as I know of a Mk12B from Jan 1966 ONO454D, and THK195E which I think is the first Mk12C block is from Feb 1967, but the dates of first introduction are something still under investigation also the parallelogram front suspension strongly looks to have came from the then still under development Model 70, not the Mk14, the Mk14 Acedes still had C tube front suspension)

4 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

IIRC 1967 was the 'short' year when the annual registration letter change date moved from 01-Jan to 01-Aug, so there were only 7 months of issue for the 'E' plates...

indeed it is, but I still wonder why for Essex, Uxx-E was issued first and then Txx-E, then it snaps back to alphabetical order with Vxx-E onwards (so it went Uxx-E Txx-E and then Vxx-E Wxx-F etc)

just weird how its out of alphabetical order, and how pretty much every Uxx-E essex marker was issued January 1967 usually they are staggered through the months (well UOO-E was issued Feb 1967 but thats the only one not issued in jan)

as a side note I just realised that LKE635E is from the block just before UNO-E, the only problem is I did not detect any Invacar blocks before UNO-E. but it looks like E reg essex registrations started from Uxx-E then, so it cant be anything before then (assuming it is actually from 1967...)

so it too is part of this whole mess LOL

(would be really interesting to see the Essex archives right about now LOL)

as a side note there also could blocks of 50 or 25 hiding around the place, but if I go smaller then jumps of 100 especially with how infrequent I get a hit on just regular cars this far back id be bashing the DVLA till the Fibreglass on REV rusts away LOL

(as I go up in jumps when I land on a reg that does not produce a a result I always jog backwards till i pull up a vehicle and forwards till i pull up a vehicle to check if I have actually landed in the middle of an Invacar block or not, but going all the way back to 1967 even regular cars don't show up all that often so it takes a while to go through a registration series)

4 hours ago, quicksilver said:

I wonder if this is the reason for the mysterious 'not taxed for on road use' status that no one's ever been able to explain. 

I thought this was just for vehicles in museums etc.?

23 minutes ago, keef said:

I thought this was just for vehicles in museums etc.?

How do I remove this second quote box?

thats another thing, AFAIK there's way to "choose it" as an option when taxing a vehicle its just you either tax it or SORN it...

so again how comes to be is a bit of a mystery....

(just click edit, click on the space just before "H" in "how" so your blinking curser is just before the H, then hit backspace and you should be able to delete the quote box :)

6 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

thats another thing, AFAIK there's way to "choose it" as an option when taxing a vehicle its just you either tax it or SORN it...

so again how comes to be is a bit of a mystery....

(just click edit, click on the space just before "H" in "how" so your blinking curser is just before the H, then hit backspace and you should be able to delete the quote box :)

No way for public to chose it, but presumably DVLA and maybe museums have different access? ;)

Tried selecting etc. But no joy. will try again: thanks. Edit: secret seems to be adding something, so you can select before that addition before hitting backspace.

2 minutes ago, keef said:

No way for public to chose it, but presumably DVLA and maybe museums have different access? ;)

Tried selecting etc. But no joy. will try again: thanks.

Sadly I dont think so, given all the Tippen deltas that are not taxed for on road use, i somehow doubt sadly that they are all in museums or a museum as much as id like that to be the case!

and, @Mrs6C owns ACK888B which is a Bond equipe that curiously also shows up as Not taxed for on road use, and as impressive as their collection is I dont think the Field of dreams is registered as a museum... yet :)

(try Control A or (or command A if on a mac) then backspace that should highlight and then just delete everything in the text field then ya can retype/requote what ya want?)

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

and, @Mrs6C owns ACK888B which is a Bond equipe that curiously also shows up as Not taxed for on road use, and as impressive as their collection is I dont think the Field of dreams is registered as a museum... yet :)

(try Control A or (or command A if on a mac) then backspace that should highlight and then just delete everything in the text field then ya can retype/requote what ya want?)

Ah, yes, I see that. Don't the owners know? Is it as simple as it isn't taxed, despite there being no MOT requirement? I see the last V5 issued was July 2005. Do we know when it first showed as NTfORU?

Sussed the delete, as per previous reply, thanks. No Ctrl or command key on an iPad. ;)

20 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

i'm hoping regardless by the 21st after my theory test that I will be ready for the practical, but I guess we will have to wait and see how I continue to do :) 

Have you checked how long the waiting time is for your test centre, they can be quite a few weeks so might be worth checking at your next lesson

so that you are not wasting your money on excess lessons.

1 hour ago, 666jjp said:

Have you checked how long the waiting time is for your test centre, they can be quite a few weeks so might be worth checking at your next lesson

so that you are not wasting your money on excess lessons.

I will be asking my instructor next lesson about that :) 

as it also occurred to me as well, what are the lead times like on the Practical as well!

• LightBulbFun changed the title to Invacar Model 70 Acquired! and general ramble thread, index on page 1, Phase 2: finding a suitable driving school/instructor getting lessons and a licence! 17th lesson had! & mum wants a car...
3 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Mrs6C has suggested you might like a P45t bulb in its Wotan box for preservation and we will be pleased to give you one.

I also have some Wotan 5w twin contact bulbs 209 but the individual packaging is unbranded.

IMG_20200105_222312 broad.jpg

IMG_20200105_221344 broad.jpg

ohh thank you for the offer! that would be very much appreciated id be happy to take examples of both :) 

I can send @Mrs6C my address (if she does not already have it) but im more then happy to wait and pick them up in person next time im down at the FoD or such :) 

whichever suits you best im happy to go with :) 

(as a side note those are some very nice photographs!)

BTW I noticed today that Dolly is showing as SORN I assume its been done since she is waiting recommissioning work and as such has no need to be taxed since she is not on the road currently?

16 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

ohh thank you for the offer! that would be very much appreciated id be happy to take examples of both :) 

I can send @Mrs6C my address (if she does not already have it) but im more then happy to wait and pick them up in person next time im down at the FoD or such :) 

whichever suits you best im happy to go with :) 

(as a side note those are some very nice photographs!)

BTW I noticed today that Dolly is showing as SORN I assume its been done since she is waiting recommissioning work and as such has no need to be taxed since she is not on the road currently?

I am happy to post the bulbs, but Mrs6C thinks there is danger of them getting damaged?

I have a bridge camera, but don't bother to get it out for stuff like this because I get just as good results from my phone. Former forum member RichardK suggested if I wanted a phone that took decent pictures I should get a Huawei P9 and that is what I have got. 

I had tacked the Invacar onto my regular insurance to sort the paperwork and needed it off. We will add it to our classic insurance when it is ready for the road.

45 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I am happy to post the bulbs, but Mrs6C thinks there is danger of them getting damaged?

if suitably packaged with some bubble wrap etc I think they should survive the postal service, these small lamps tend to be quite robust :) 

I have much more fragile lamps survive much more hazardous shipping trips like these 2 big beasties I got from the US, which were shipped in nothing more than a cardboard box with a bit of paper shoved in the bottom! im very fortunate both survived without damage

1499399147_ImagefromiOS(101).thumb.jpg.29aea5242d7b1838493b041766dc6eea.jpg 1040992905_ImagefromiOS(102).thumb.jpg.c1da48ce721e9fd22141c84c96f34728.jpg

(the fun really starts when you start sending/getting fluorescent tubes from the US and vice versa:) best method for sending tubes if possible is usually wrap the crap out of the tube in bubble wrap then slide it into a PVC pipe, failing that a triangular shaped cardboard box is one of the strongest shapes you can make out of a cardboard so is also suitable for shipping tubes)

although collection in person is always best with lamps and tubes due to their fragile nature, its one of the things I look forward to doing in REV, there have been many lamps and tubes I have wanted to get but could not because they were collection only and I could not realistically travell to get them without a personal vehicle (ever taken an 8ft tube on a bus? done it twice myself LOL) and I hope ill be able to get such lamps with REV :) (I do wonder just how many tubes can you fit in a Model 70, question is who will find out first me or @Zelandeth :mrgreen: )

45 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I had tacked the Invacar onto my regular insurance to sort the paperwork and needed it off. We will add it to our classic insurance when it is ready for the road.

ah cool I figured it was something along those lines :) 

I was just commenting on it, just incase you were not aware, (ie incase it had SORNed itself due to DVLA shenanigans)

as a side note I noticed you say regular insurance and classic insurance separately, 

insurance is one of those hurdles im going to have to overcome with REV and im wonder do you think either of your insurance companies would insure my "situation"?

its worth noting a lot of people have said id struggle to get Classic insurance, however im happy to go with any insurance, does not have to be specially classic insurance per say 

(although I cant imagine a lot of "regular" insurance companies would touch a 43 year old invacar!)

I plan to make a proper start at insuring REV once I have my full drivers licence just so I at least stand a snowball's chance in hell at finding someone who will insure me and REV

but since you mentioned having Dolly insured via regular insurance, I am curious :) 

The bigger challenges you'll face are your age, length of time with a full driving licence and number of years' driving experience.

A 'classic friendly' insurance company that is prepared to insure a young driver is probably the thing to investigate. Even if you're not insured on one of their actual 'classic' policies, they should have an appreciation that your car is a classic and be prepared to insure it for you, even on a regular policy.

May I suggest you could start by discussing your needs with these? There are others of course but these are companies I have used in the past and the customer experience has been good:

Adrian Flux:
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/young-drivers/

Footman James:
https://www.footmanjames.co.uk/news/classic-car-insurance-young-driver

Peter James (he is the 'James' of 'Footman James' - he set up a new company some years back):
https://www.peterjamesinsurance.co.uk/index.php/products/classic-cars

Limited mileage will reduce costs and may be a requirement of the insurance scheme anyway. If you can park REV off the public highway overnight that would be helpful. Does your apartment block have any off-street parking you could use?

Often insurance cost can be reduced if you are a member of a car club that caters for your kind of vehicle. Joining a microcar club like the Micro Maniacs might be a good start. They have special deals with Adrian Flux and Peter James, for example:
http://www.micromaniacsclub.co.uk/

When you get to 25, insurance becomes a lot easier and cheaper. From 21 to 25 is better than under-21, but a limited length of time with a full driving licence and a low number of years' driving experience (with no claims!) will always be negatives.