LightBulbFun

Invacar Model 70 Acquired! and general ramble thread, index on page 1, Phase 2: finding a suitable driving school/instructor getting lessons and a licence! 15th lesson had!

10 minutes ago, Christine said:

Demand a  company car  plus petrol allowance ....

id probably end up with a Half a Mk12 and a bottle of 2 stroke oil! :mrgreen:

(but if that half still has the door I could give it to @egg LOL, does remind I wonder if simon does have a spare Mk12 door or not I know he has about 7 Mk12s, but sadly i dont think many of them have doors either!)

26 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

so this afternoon/evening went well :)

Simon of the ICR finally found time to drop my house and we spent about 2 and a half hours discussing various things to do with the ICR

but the long and the short of it is, simon was very happy with me and all of my research etc and im officially a member of the ICR now!, which will hopefully open up a few doors for me

still obviously very early days, but simon hopes to instate me in the role of record keeper and vehicle historian (ie the guy who keeps track of all the invalid vehicles known to survive, and the guy who does all the research into them etc, which is what im doing on my own anyway, and thats the role id like to be part of, as well as helping out with the DVLA side of stuff)

but yeah I officially have my foot in the door which is always a good start! its exactly what I had hoped for :)

then hopefully I can work my way up from there!

Well done! :-)

I hope it is the start of a mutaully beneficial and long term association with the ICR and who knows, it could lead to a career in this kind of area in due course.

Thinking about the 'age-related plates', I'm not sure that the DVLA did have a policy of adopting local registrations when these came in first of all, if at all. Cars were allocated 'A' suffix registrations originally, from areas that still had stocks of numbers that hadn't been issued previously, such as Coventry (HP). The first series' of non-suffix numbers I remember being issued were Scottish registrations. The SK series was one of these and a friend had a Triumph Herald with such a plate.

Back when the letter suffix registrations were introduced, if I remember correctly, there wasn't an obligation to adopt the letter suffix until 1966. Some areas used up all their stocks of suffix-free numbers and moved over to 'A' plates in 1963, other areas didn't make the move until 1966 and 'D' suffix plates. Some areas moved over early and ended up with stocks of unused registration numbers and these were allocated as both 'A' suffix and non-suffix numbers to cars that had lost their registrations over time.

There was a bit of a backlash from the classic car community on the 'A' suffix plates being issued, as with the new numbers being non-transferable, pre-1963 cars were ending up with numbers that weren't actually correct for their year and they were stuck with them. One of my cars has an 'A' plate from this early scheme and as such, I could now swap it for a non-suffix number. but I liked the 'A' number and kept it, even though it makes the car appear two years NEWER than it is!

On the subject of NI registrations, one of @Six-cylinder's cars came from NI and retained its 1966 NI registration number, which was four numbers and two letters. He registered it in England in the early 1980s and was offered an age-related British number if he wanted it, in case the car having an NI plate led to issues arising from that at the time. He declined and kept the NI number, which was much more interesting than a 'D' suffix.

38 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Well done! :-)

I hope it is the start of a mutaully beneficial and long term association with the ICR and who knows, it could lead to a career in this kind of area in due course.

indeed I hope the same, and indeed, obviously its early days, but potential employment etc was one of the things discussed which is pretty exciting! :) 

13 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Thinking about the 'age-related plates', I'm not sure that the DVLA did have a policy of adopting local registrations when these came in first of all, if at all. Cars were allocated 'A' suffix registrations originally, from areas that still had stocks of numbers that hadn't been issued previously, such as Coventry (HP). The first series' of non-suffix numbers I remember being issued were Scottish registrations. The SK series was one of these and a friend had a Triumph Herald with such a plate.

Back when the letter suffic registrations were introduced, if I remember correctly, there wasn't an obligation to adopt the letter suffix until 1966. Some areas used up all their stocks of suffix-free numbers and moved over to 'A' plates in 1963, other areas didn't make the move until 1966 and 'D' suffix plates. Some areas moved over early and ended up with stocks of unused registration numbers and these were allocated as both 'A' suffix and non-suffix numbers to cars that had lost their registrations over time.

There was a bit of a backlash from the classic car community on the 'A' suffix plates being issued, as with the new numbers being non-transferable, pre-1963 cars were ending up with numbers that weren't actually correct for their year and they were stuck with them. One of my cars has an 'A' plate from this early scheme and as such, I could now swap it for a non-suffix number. but I liked the 'A' number and kept it, even though it makes the car appear two years NEWER than it is!

On the subject of NI registrations, one of @Six-cylinder's cars came from NI and retained its 1966 NI registration number, which was four numbers and two letters. He registered it in England in the early 1980s and was offered an age-related British number if he wanted it, in case the car having an NI plate led to issues arising from that at the time. He declined and kept the NI number, which was much more interesting than a 'D' suffix.

interesting :)I think that perhaps things where a bit different for Pre suffix cars/plates, and cases where the car being issued a new registration was already a suffix reg car

since with pre suffix plates there would not of been many spare to start with so cant have been issued according to location even if you wanted to, and also as you say the shortage of suffix plates is why A Suffix plates where issued at first

however on something like XEV88S, I imagine there would of been plenty of scottish S Reg plates left still so they where able to give it the local plate, VES108S either that or its just a coincidence that it got issued a scottish plate when it lost XEV88S in scotland!

(but the fact NVW556P got EHJ74P makes me think they did try and issue local plates when possible, because both VW and HJ are chelmsford)

(side note I think the obligation to issue suffix plates came 1965 not 1966)

very interesting to hear of @Six-cylinder NI car, and that he was able to retain its number, it would be interesting to have the number and see how the vehicle date of first registration is shown on the DVLA/my tool :)

im curious @Six-cylinder do you remember if you had to register the vehicle fresh as if it was an imported vehicle/new vehicle, or did they just copy over/transfer the data from the NI V5?

sheds more light on LOI6831 I guess they would of also been given a similar option to keep the number, assuming the rules was the same in 1978

3 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I have heard that some registration offices never actually ran out of the 2 letter 4 mumber plates and were still issuing them into the 1960s.

indeed I remember reading that too would not surprise me for some of the smaller offices in small scottish locations for example, 

(which is also where a lot of the current age related suffix less plates come from these days as well )

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

very interesting to hear of @Six-cylinder NI car, and that he was able to retain its number, it would be interesting to have the number and see how the vehicle date of first registration is shown on the DVLA/my tool :)

im curious @Six-cylinder do you remember if you had to register the vehicle fresh as if it was an imported vehicle/new vehicle, or did they just copy over/transfer the data from the NI V5?

sheds more light on LOI6831 I guess they would of also been given a similar option to keep the number, assuming the rules was the same in 1978

It is my E Type 9477 OZ and while I was the third person to have it on the mainland it was never registered or driven and had no paperwork with it.

In the early 1980s there was deadline announced that all cars not on the DVLA computer would not be able to be registered (from memory the deadline was April 1984) so I set about getting mine on the DVLA computer. I sent them a letter telling them I had it and please could they register it and send me a log book, they said no not without documentary evidence. I had to contact the correct department in NI who issued me a duplicate old style log book and then the DVLA were happy to put it on the computer.

It was the height of the Irish troubles and while I was entitles to use it on it's NI plate in mainland Britain the DVLA were conscious that it was not a good time to be marked out to have an Irish connection and were offering the choice to have a D reg plate instead. I did seriously consider a D plate because of the troubles, but I am glad I did not go that route now and the fact it started life in Belfast just makes it more interesting. 

DSCN9256 Etype crop broad.jpg

3 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

It is my E Type 9477 OZ and while I was the third person to have it on the mainland it was never registered or driven and had no paperwork with it.

In the early 1980s there was deadline announced that all cars not on the DVLA computer would not be able to be registered (from memory the deadline was April 1984) so I set about getting mine on the DVLA computer. I sent them a letter telling them I had it and please could they register it and send me a log book, they said no not without documentary evidence. I had to contact the correct department in NI who issued me a duplicate old style log book and then the DVLA were happy to put it on the computer.

It was the height of the Irish troubles and while I was entitles to use it on it's NI plate in mainland Britain the DVLA were conscious that it was not a good time to be marked out to have an Irish connection and were offering the choice to have a D reg plate instead. It did seriously consider a D plate because of the troubles, but I am glad I did not go that route now and the fact it started life in Belfast just makes it more interesting. 

very interesting, Thanks for the info :)  checking it out on my tool indeed shows no previous registration plates or such, and interestingly no import marker either

I guess if a vehicle managed a "smooth" transition from NI to england it would not gain an import marker (LOI6831 does not have one either) and would be on the DVLA as any other normally registered car over here, just wearing its NI plate

and interesting to see that the date of first registration is 8 March 1966 which I assume was when It was first registered in belfast,

I was wondering if its date of first regiation was going to be the date when you got it registered in the UK in the 1980s or if it would be when it was first registered in NI,

(LOI6831's date of first registration is 03/03/1978 but with the year of manufacture down as 1976 which fits the chassis number and age of NI plate it wears etc, so I think its date of first registration is when it was first regged in england not NI)

as you say the NI history makes it more interesting, dont think i have seen a NI registered E type until now!, (interesting point about the troubles, makes you wonder why they did not issue LOI a new plate to play things safe, unless the user specifically requested to keep the plate or something such?)

(side note, your the only registered keeper, I guess the keeper count from the NI buff? logbook did not get transferred over)

long shot but you dont happen to have any of the corresponding paperwork from when ya did this back in the 1980s? not asking you to go digging for it now, but it would be interesting to unearth it some day have a read of it and see just what wording etc the DVLA used etc etc! because I find this sort of stuff far too interesting!

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

so this afternoon/evening went well :)

Simon of the ICR finally found time to drop my house and we spent about 2 and a half hours discussing various things to do with the ICR

but the long and the short of it is, simon was very happy with me and all of my research etc and im officially a member of the ICR now!, which will hopefully open up a few doors for me

still obviously very early days, but simon hopes to instate me in the role of record keeper and vehicle historian (ie the guy who keeps track of all the invalid vehicles known to survive, and the guy who does all the research into them etc, which is what im doing on my own anyway, and thats the role id like to be part of, as well as helping out with the DVLA side of stuff)

but yeah I officially have my foot in the door which is always a good start! its exactly what I had hoped for :)

then hopefully I can work my way up from there!

Great stuff LBF - its about time all you invacar peeps started talking to each other.  Hope it goes on well - but one step at a time I think - Softly, softly, catchee monkey!  as they used to say.  

8428PH  plate was on a 64  triumph herald , and I sold the plate, the herald was issued with another number. I can't remember what it was though. By then,  the car had a kit car body fitted, but still had the herald v5    . 8428PH is now on a BMW, in the next village actually!  ... Is it possible to see if the herald / kit car still exists?  Plate was sold in the late 80's....

38 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

Great stuff LBF - its about time all you invacar peeps started talking to each other.  Hope it goes on well - but one step at a time I think - Softly, softly, catchee monkey!  as they used to say.  

yeah exactly :) well I have been talking to stuart and simon via facebook for some time now, but simon wanted to meet with me in person before committing to anything etc, which is very understandable, always worth making sure this random person on the internet who keeps rambling on about invacars actually does exist and is who he says he is!

id very much like to meet Stuart in person some day as well (I imagine stuart will be quite pleased with the news he has been wanting to get me into the ICR for a good while now)

13 minutes ago, Christine said:

8428PH  plate was on a 64  triumph herald , and I sold the plate, the herald was issued with another number. I can't remember what it was though. By then,  the car had a kit car body fitted, but still had the herald v5    . 8428PH is now on a BMW, in the next village actually!  ... Is it possible to see if the herald / kit car still exists?  Plate was sold in the late 80's....

sadly I cant normally trace where a number plate has been

but if you can give me/PM me that heralds chassis/VIN number then I can try look it up that way and see what its new plate was/is :) 

7 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

It was the height of the Irish troubles and while I was entitles to use it on it's NI plate in mainland Britain the DVLA were conscious that it was not a good time to be marked out to have an Irish connection and were offering the choice to have a D reg plate instead. I did seriously consider a D plate because of the troubles, but I am glad I did not go that route now and the fact it started life in Belfast just makes it more interesting. 

Phooar that's one nice E Type there @Six-cylinder

Didn't know it had a NI registration. 

XEV 88S must have been in Tayside when it was re-registered; I'm not up to scratch on Tayside's re-registration series as such but I know that YSR-T was such a series in that area.

In my local area (Glasgow... ish) FUS-S, WDS-V, WGB-W, E-CHS, L-AYS, N-PYS, N-RGD, T-RGA, V-LYS, and W-ASB were all re-registration series. Daresay I could find more if I were to go looking.

6 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Phooar that's one nice E Type there @Six-cylinder

Didn't know it had a NI registration. 

As I think I mentioned before

I cant wait for Dolly to be on the road, because among many other reasons, so @Mrs6C can park it up next to the E type

and then you can say "Got the Jag and the AC parked up together for a nice photoshoot" and then when people expect an AC Ace or Cobra, you can show them the actual pictures of the E Type and the Model 70 together :mrgreen:

(and the fun thing is the Model 70 is rarer then the E Type!)

9 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Well done LBF! Good advice to tread softly though, I guess some in the ICR might take a while to accept the young upstart know-it-all* - until they realize you DO actually know what you're talking about. 

*meant in a nice way

indeed I think thats why Simon wanted to visit me in person, and I think he realized that I do know what im on about and I am real!

and now its just down to him to find the time etc to get things into gear etc, its still simon after all, so things may take its sweet time LOL 

you really do find the wackiest/weirdest things when searching for invacars...

image.thumb.png.d50f8e1628646d611dfdb9f41fd505f2.png

got another Mk12 chassis number im trying to find the registration number of, I found the FTW701H-FTW800H block, and the GEV201H-GEV300H block, the only problem is the chassis number sits in a block between those 2 blocks

and I searched through FVW-H FVX-H and FWC-H and did not find any blocks!, so im going to search again just incase I missed a block somehow

wonder if this guy liked his boeings :) 

image.thumb.png.0046f58295c68a075dbaf9e421fab75f.png

13 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Taxed for the next 57 years? Excellent, I guess the owner will never have to worry about renewing its tax ever again.

I really do wonder what exactly happened there LOL "would sir like the 6 month 12 month or 60 year tax ...."

I wonder if somehow a continuous SORN got changed to taxed, and 2077 is either the largest year/number/integer the system/program can handle or if 2077 is technically when a continuous SORN ends? who knows LOL

the amusing thing is it happened to a historic vehicle, that didn't even have to pay for tax in the first place LOL

(and also is just a cosmetic thing or it really is down in the system as taxed until 2077, 3rd party websites also seem to think its taxed till 2077 for what thats worth LOL)

(this whole thing reminds me of the year 2038 problem)

4 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

and I searched through FVW-H FVX-H and FWC-H and did not find any blocks!, so im going to search again just incase I missed a block somehow

yep I went through those reg ranges again in steps of 50 this time just to be safe and turned up nothing

properly perplexing, as between FTW701H-FTW800H and GEV201H-GEV300H theres a gap of 100 chassis numbers (in which a surviving Mk12 lives)

yet I cant find any invacar blocks between FTW-H and GEV-H, not even any holes of 100 where nothing turns up on the DVLA either

unless im missing an essex marker between the 2 somewhere but iv checked and its just VW VX and WC....

sadly Mk12 chassis numbers are too generic for me to look up with my tool (I pretty much just get some modern with the same chassis number or containing the same numbers) so i cant look up via chassis number and find blocks that way like I did for The Model 67 etc

so I sent off an email the other day to the (ex) seller of ONO454D as I saw it had finally sold on C&C and I wanted to know who it sold to etc so I could keep track of it

and the guy told me he would pass on my details which I appreciate :)

but a bit awkwardly he said it went back to england with someone who supposedly wants to modify it as a pit car for AC Cobra racing...

not only do I not like the sound of it being modified (especially given the decent shape its in which is rare for a Mk12 these days) its not an AC its an Invacar, its got nothing to do with AC or the Cobra!

I have not heard from the new owners yet, but Ill have to think what to say to them, because i don't want to see it modified, (especially if there only doing it because they think its an AC when its not an AC, so then it would be needesly modified for the wrong reasons which would be extra sad)

so had my 15th lesson today :) 

this lesson was a bit different to normal as the original plan as mentioned was/is to finish off doing my maneuvers, but we realised my mum would be finishing her shift at work right about the time we started the lesson so instead I went and picked her up from work, following the satnav, which is something they do test you on apparently these days, so its good experience gained!, (and also it was a slight change in scenery/location and new roads which was fun :) )

we also practiced using the hand brake for doing hill starts (as this pug 208 has an actual hand brake!) which was interesting :) (as in apply hand brake, so you can then set the clutch and the throttle at the same time, and then just released the hand brake when its time to go that way you avoid rolling backwards) although iv become pretty good at hill starts without the hand brake, always good to have/know multiple ways of doing something!

I also had an interesting experience (that I also experienced a couple times before in previous lessons) on the bends of the 50Mph A roads I was driving on, and at a couple roundabouts, going relatively quickly around said bend/round about thinking to myself is this a normal amount of G force I should be experiencing, should I be feeling a sideways G force? or am I going too fast for the bend and is the car about to lose traction and should I slow down?, I always slowed down to be safe! although my instructor never told me to slow down so perhaps I was not going too fast and Im just being overly cautious, but I  rather that then understeer into something/someone!

but yeah the lesson went well and the instructor said so as well :) 

next lesson is scheduled for tuesday, and then my instructor is on christmas break until the 2nd of Jan.

I think during the break ill knuckle down on the remaining hazard perception clips iv been doing/studying, as I think its about time I got my theory test done, and I think my instructor would be pleased to hear that iv got it done with during his break :) 

On 12/12/2019 at 8:44 PM, LightBulbFun said:

got another Mk12 chassis number im trying to find the registration number of, I found the FTW701H-FTW800H block, and the GEV201H-GEV300H block, the only problem is the chassis number sits in a block between those 2 blocks

the ghost of bert greeves/derry preston cob must be having a right laugh about now

because I thought, alright ill put this one to one side and try find the registration of another Mk12 survivor I know of

and guess what it sits in a block of 100 between DPU501G-DPU600G, and EEV801G-EEV900G, that mysteriously cant be found!

I searched DTW-G, DVX-G DVW-G and DWC-G and turned up once again no blocks or any signs there once was a block

I must be missing something, but if I was suddenly making a mistake with my block finding then id not be able to find any blocks, but i still am finding blocks...

the other thing is generally for a given 4 registration series there will generally always be an invacar block in at least 1 of those, and yet in those 4 series I found nothing...

(generally iv found there to be about 2-4 invacar blocks per the 9 Essex markers of Pre 1974 for a given leading letter)

ill go over the DTW-G DVX-G DVW-G and DWC-G reg ranges again tomoz to be safe but it is quite perplexing thats its seemingly happened twice now!

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Here's a rarity - a Solifer, a Norwegian make apparently.  Only one ever registered here so parts would be fun*.

s-l1600.jpg

dragging this one over here, 

because its very interesting to see such an old V5, 1979 is the oldest V5 I have seen, and its been quite interesting to study :) 

1486859902_s-l1600(15).thumb.jpg.9f40a12ace6929b6af008c291c1fca7d.jpg

first thing of note, is indeed it looks like the 11 digit number has been a thing since the start of the V5,

its also very interesting to see the "No of former keepers, None since March 1978" im guessing thats when this moped was transitioned from a Buff logbook to the V5 system

but very interestingly it does NOT show up on the DVLA checker or my 3rd party tools, im guessing this is one of those vehicles that got archived by the DVLA in the 1980s or so, but its interesting to see that indeed even if a vehicle is definitely part of the V5 system it can still vanish from the DVLA database, it helps explains why even into 1978, there are still the Odd Model 70, that don't show up on the DVLA even tho they would of almost certainly been V5ed from new, and would of most likely survived into the early 1980s at least

it would be very interesting to see what would the DVLA said if you called em up about them and enquired about this moped

(im curious if you would get the same "partial record" response that @egg got with XWC, I still wonder about XWC if it was, ever part of the V5 system, and it got archived or did the DVLA just happen to have the old paper records for it still...)