LightBulbFun

Invacar Model 70 Acquired! and general ramble thread, index on page 1, Phase 2: finding a suitable driving school/instructor getting lessons and a licence! 15th lesson had!

if things go well im hoping to be back to "normal" levels of pain in a few weeks :) although iv got a dentist appointment on the 20th which is going to be fun* (well Im not even sure if i still have that? I had a check up done while on ESA so it was free, and had this apointment booked, but in the meantime iv lost ESA, so is this dentist appointment thats coming up still going to be free or what? something I need to look into)

Mental. Absolutely mental.

Fingers crossed for a Model 70 with your name on it Dez, if anyone is more commited to suicidal plastic bath machines it's you.

As an aside we used to run a pair of Q-reg Douglas DC8s (Q676/7 ATV) which were registered as Reliants; I reckon they were about as far removed from a Rialto as you could feasably get.be8bf17b8c0d7278a730272956380ed1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

thanks for the words of encouragement  :mrgreen:

seen you post that aircraft tug elsewhere on AS too, so awesome that you got to drive those, iv had fun running around in them in Grand theft auto LOL

is it called a DC8 because it was designed to tow one or was it just a happy coincidence? 

I wonder how they ended up as reliants, did someone really ring them as such or what? LOL

the Q Plate invacar chap has been keeping in contact with me :)

looks like he has sent off his V62, so looking forward to seeing how that goes, and he is slowly getting her running again, currently having some blocked jet carb issues (seems to always be the case with Model 70s LOL) I also warned him about the whole distributor thing, luckily his timing seems to be correct

I also decided to link him to this forum, maybe he will sign up maybe he wont, I dont know if forums are his thing, but another invacar thread here cant hurt right?  :mrgreen:

I'm 40 and grew up in Wicklow / Dublin car obsessed and had never seen or heard of these until they were on AS. @dieselassist, were they on ROI or Norn Iron plates can you remember?

...sorry for the delay in getting a reply in here; had a bad dose of the flu'

I remember one man who drove one (as mentioned on another thread) - I think him n his family had various 'disabilities'- he had very thick 'pint glass bottom' glasses, and according to my mother was the 'most able' of his family, n so he used to drive it into the village maybe twice a week; he liked ' a drop' n so the inva'car was often left with a door open for long periods on the mainstreet, n as a kid I used to like to look into it; I was amazed by the central driving position, n handlebarcontrols but the interior was often filled with bags n tat so while being curious about its 'other controls' - they were never in view...

...I seem to remember them being ire (old irish reg) but I might be mistaken, as previous to 1986 'norn ire' reg looked similar to irish reg; norn Ire reg just having more numbers...

the other two I remember seeing; one was in a carpark, in better condition n I just heard it being started up n driving off; there was also another that I used to regularly see on the roads being driven by an elderly woman....

that one was in poor condition body wise back then

I should also mention, that my mother is/was a nurse; n she used to do 'home help'  for the elderly; so she was familiar with these cars n explained to me at the time that they were transport for the disabled - my mother while back then preferring to drive bigger cars, with big engines; eg; granadas n rovers etc, wasn't what you describe as a 'car person or petrol head'.... I remember thinking at the time how counter intuitive it seemed to me, as a kid, for disabled person to pilot a car that seemingly had bicycle style controls...

very interesting and cool stuff :)

do you remember if the ones you saw where Model 70s or Mk12s or something else? :)

BTW no idea how this VIN plate website thingy goes, because I was just able to look up 30+ Invacars without it ever complaining...

(where as the first time I was linked I looked up about 10? before it said GTFO)

the only difference is, i specifically this time looked up Model 70s i knew would show up (ie taxed or SORNed since after Y2K or so) maybe the website just does not like it when i feed it things it cant figure out? who knows... (Just looked up a Model 70 that was untaxed from 1997, and now its finally said GTFO LOL)

but on that note, I now have a private copy of my surviours list mostly all updated with VIN/Chassis numbers, and heres a few interesting bits iv noticed :)

bloody hell is TWC early for an Invacar Model 70

ATW722L has a VIN number thats almost all the same number but is 1 digit off LOL

some of the AC Model 70s have a . between the Letter(s) and the numbers

most Invacar model 70s start with 1NV, only SOI7570 starts with INV

it looks like reg plates and VIN plates ran concurrently, at least for Invacar Model 70s this is the case

(ie TTW906R and TTW991R are 85 numbers apart for both the reg and VIN, also TTW906R comes back as a mobility scooter rather then as an invalid vehicle...)

and finally I think TPA621M and UPB262M are part of the same batch :)

it looks like reg plates and VIN plates ran concurrently, at least for Invacar Model 70s this is the case

(ie TTW906R and TTW991R are 85 numbers apart for both the reg and VIN, also TTW906R comes back as a mobility scooter rather then as an invalid vehicle...)

This is good to know, I was hoping this was the case - I hope it was the same for MK12s. I'm wondering how many they registered at any one time? And whether they 'registered on demand' (i.e. as offices around the country said we need 'x' number) or whether they were registered as built regardless of need.

Blimey! I wonder if those are 'show plates' in tribute to the flamin' car? That photo is pretty well known so could have inspired the owner of the surviving car, which had no ID? Anyway, well done for remembering the reg and putting two and two together

Not surprising carb issues are common.

There is no meaningful fuel filter fitted as standard (just a mesh screen in the pump), the jets in the carb are pretty small and they're cars which tend to be left with old stale fuel left sitting in them for years - the results of this combination is predictable really.

I almost want to say that fire started from something else, because fuel related stuff in a mk12 is all at the back AFAIK (engine and gravity feed tank) but the fire there looks to have started in the cabin or so

my best guess would be some dodgy wiring....

(but who knows maybe the fire did start in the engine and just traveled forward before going to the back )

as for the regenerating Mk12, I did post about that many posts ago in this thread  :mrgreen:

I like to think the Scarf on the modern picture is a Dr who reference or something :)

(but yeah AFAIK, they are 2 separate cars, just wearing the same plates, but ill check with stuart, for one, the modern photo Mk12 has larger head lamps which makes it a Mk12D or Mk12E, where as if it was on a C suffix plate it would be something earlier)

Blimey! I wonder if those are 'show plates' in tribute to the flamin' car? That photo is pretty well known so could have inspired the owner of the surviving car, which had no ID? Anyway, well done for remembering the reg and putting two and two together

thats what im thinking yeah :)

This is good to know, I was hoping this was the case - I hope it was the same for MK12s. I'm wondering how many they registered at any one time? And whether they 'registered on demand' (i.e. as offices around the country said we need 'x' number) or whether they were registered as built regardless of need.

another thing ill have to double check with stuart there, but I think they where registered in batches so to speak :)

if you notice the VIN plates, say "Contract number had" so im guessing the DHSS would go "heres a contract to build 500 Invacars"

(you see that contract number had stuff on a lot of military stuff too IIRC)

Interesting research on the chassis numbers and it ties in with my own thoughts. It does seem that the DHSS would give the manufacturers a contract to build a certain number of vehicles, all of which would have consecutive chassis numbers and registrations (presumably as they weren't building for any other customers at the same time, apart from a handful of private buyers whose carriages were probably tacked on the end of a DHSS order). I concluded that there was a batch of 100 with TWC-K registrations (perhaps the first contract given to Invacar for Model 70s?) and I would put money on them all having consecutive chassis numbers. The 1NV thing is possibly because the letter I is not allowed in modern VINs so what was INV on the chassis plate was transcribed as 1NV. INV for Invacar makes more sense as a chassis number prefix.

EDIT: that raises an interesting question. How did the customisation for individual users fit with the building of large batches? Were they maybe all built without any controls and then fitted with the appropriate ones as and when they were issued to a recipient?

One other fact we know - there are several photos 'in period' showing significant numbers of Invacars in storage - so clearly demand varied and there times when there appeared to be a 'surplus' - unless the ones in storage were in for re-commissioning or inevitable repair!

interesting stuff yeah :) (its hard to say if TWC would of been part of the first batch, TWC is roughly the 800th Invacar Model 70 built, I guess it depends how large a batch would of been thats out of over 9000 LOL the lowest known Invacar chassis number is 1NV/INV89, but sadly its thought the car is long gone

the next oldest Invacar Model 70 in my list is from November 1972, and is about 560 cars newer then TWC (TWC being from June 1972)

(apparently the DVLA checker used to spit out chassis numbers so stuart was able to get a lot of info that way, he was checking up to 200 a night at one point :) )

im not sure how the controls where done exactly, its an interesting question...

(from what I can tell for private users, at least going by the Mk12 brochure there would of been a dealer like tick box sheet with the options etc you want)

Oh very cool :)

are there any more pictures? interesting to see a yellow plate in the drawing, would indicate its a pretty late tippen delta

(the tippen deltas where an interesting 3rd horse in a 2 horse race to speak, by 1970 you pretty much just had AC and Invacar, but Tippen delta was there on the side, there where a few tippen deltas with HP and BHP plates which lead to some hilarious plates like 2000HP  :mrgreen: )

One other fact we know - there are several photos 'in period' showing significant numbers of Invacars in storage - so clearly demand varied and there times when there appeared to be a 'surplus' - unless the ones in storage were in for re-commissioning or inevitable repair!

They may have been waiting on PDI or simply put there specifically for the photo. No way of knowing without any kind of context.

im not 100% sure how it all worked

but i know there was a main invacar centre so to speak, at Heywood, and according to stuart, some cars hung around on the racks for up to 20 years!, but from what I can tell this was a sort of reserve, rather then a surplus of invacars per say

I imagine if a local service centre had an incident say where all the OAPs decided to play invacar banger racing in the bingo hall, that the service centre would call heywood and get a few Model 70s shipped over from the stores (but this is just speculation on my part)

(Q231PVL, may have been one of those cars, because its MPH736P which has been untaxed since 83, but it was only Q plated in 1997, so what did it do in the in between years?)

are you asking how many Model 70s are on my Survivors list?

I currently have 35 known surviving Model 70s documented :) stuart says there are 79 known surviving Model 70s so im almost half way there :) (Sadly the current exact whereabouts or owners of a lot of Model 70s are unknown to me, hence why a lot have current status unknown, because all I know about them is that they do survive SOMEWHERE)

(im aware of a few that i dont have documented, the problem is I dont know those ones UK reg plates etc, so its hard for me to integrate them into my list properly, ie most of the Model 70s in the USA)

http://autoshite.com/topic/32723-wanted-an-invacar-ac-model-70-and-general-ramble-thread-with-survivors-list-on-page-26-and-vin-plate-tidbits-on-page-38/?p=1753903

(top tip for those who dont know, if you click on "page x of x" it will drop down a menu you can type a page number into and it will take you to that page :) )

Aye iv scoped out instagram a few times :)

im aware of the 2 in sweden (one was even advertised for sale so I sent an email to the guy, never got anything back sadly, but I did realise that he wanted €11K! for it, I thought I had read €1.1K LOL)

sadly I dont know the original registrations, so iv not yet been able to document them properly

JPF413N is a fun one, I dont know if it survives sadly, but it was papped twice in service in roughly the same location by 2 completely different people, what are the chances of that  :mrgreen:

post-25614-0-22280800-1549284056_thumb.jpg
post-25614-0-00514400-1549283960_thumb.jpg

wonder if this is an actual 1980s photo or if theres is a yard full of invacars somewhere still... https://www.instagram.com/p/BRK193AlF7u/

post-25614-0-35432700-1552589876_thumb.jpg

Do you fancy giving Elmsleigh Invacar a ring LBF, or I'm happy to do it if you're short on credit or whateverz - will ring on premise of 1 million to one chance they have some new old stock MK12 bits, oh and do you happen to have any other Invacars around? ;-)

haha :)

Yeah I do plan on giving them a poke at some point, but since I dont think its any immediate danger/for sale somewhere where someone could beat me to it so to speak

im going to take this one at a bit more of a leisurely pace, 

(especially with all the ESA government crap thats been going on recently)

but your welcome to poke them on my behalf if you wish/if the urge becomes too much  :mrgreen:  :)

on that note, rather conveniently my dentist called today, to say my appointment on the 20th would have to be rescheduled as my dentist would not be able to make it in, this gave me the opportunity to discuss/ask if it would still be free or not due to ESA being pulled between appointments, and they where not sure, so they just postponed it indefinitely, and I can call back when stuff is sorted on my end, which is nice, solves that issue for now.