LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

LBF - It might be worth changing the thread title about possibly requiring help with transport.

Seems to me it would fantastic if a local shiter could pick it up for you if you agree a deal before the seller changes his mind or someone offers him a pile of cash for it.

I'm sure someone would be up for doing that for you - I had plenty of offers of help with my one.

Alright, let's try this another way...

I've set up a GoFundMe page for Dez to buy this or some other Invacar. Please feel under no obligation to give, but if you do it would be most welcome.

Dez has not ASKED me to do this, but I am taking the initiative on my own to do it. I will follow up shortly by making my own donation.

https://www.gofundme.com/dez-roth039s-invacar-fund

Because I am a US citizen, GoFundMe would not allow me to set it up to take donations in GBP. Rest assured that all money, though, will go to him. Of course, if anyone wants to give money directly to him, that will also work, but this at least a somewhat more transparent way to do this.

Dez has been a good friend of mine for a while(even though I've never met him in person) and I want to see this happen for him.

I've set up a GoFundMe page for Dez to buy this or some other Invacar. Please feel under no obligation to give, but if you do it would be most welcome.

Dez has not ASKED me to do this, but I am taking the initiative on my own to do it. I will follow up shortly by making my own donation.

Because I am a US citizen, GoFundMe would not allow me to set it up to take donations in GBP. Rest assured that all money, though, will go to him. Of course, if anyone wants to give money directly to him, that will also work, but this at least a somewhat more transparent way to do this.

Dez has been a good friend of mine for a while(even though I've never met him in person) and I want to see this happen for him.

Good man. Now get it on social media.

Good man. Now get it on social media.

I actually don't "do" Social Media other than fora, but if other folks want to share it on Facebook/Twitter/whatever please feel free to!

I wish I could start things off by making a nice donation myself, but I'm going to have to wait until next weekend(pay day) to do so.

If this runs to middle of the month (20th/21st) I can chip a few quid in then

I'm in Barnsley which isn't far from Sheffield, I can help if needed

So am I. Apart from the obvious one of the middle of that football stadium in S2, I've got Mrs BMH to Facebook our friends in S2 to ask if any of their friends have space in their garages for a few weeks.

while I was at it, I updated the survivors list with some statistics :)

out of 31 known surviving Model 70s

9 are currently taxed

and out of that 9, Just 2 have current MOTs

just goes to show how few there are actually on the road sadly (id say DW original/longstanding estimate of only about 5 or so being on the road is probably pretty accurate)

If someone is willing to pay for van hire, I'd be willing to drive up to Sheffield and bring it back to MK. Only a couple hours each way. Should be pretty easily done in a day, so you should get some change out of £200 for van hire + diesel I'd think. That's me hiring a van from Enterprise by the way - I don't do cheapy garage forecourt van hire any more after I had one of their clapped outlet dogs lose a wheel half way up the A90 one day and having had several jobs try to get me to take out vehicles with bald tyres, no oil in, dashboards lit up like Christmas trees etc...

I wouldn't be able to keep it here for more than a week or two as I'm already one car over capacity, but it could give a bit of breathing room and should be able to pretty quickly give it the once over to see if there's anything obvious that's stuffed or missing.

It *cannot* stay here long term though, I'm in an annoyingly tidy suburban area, and turning the place into an Invacar dealership ain't likely to go down well with the neighbours! I've already been locked a few times as to when the Lada will be gone. A week or three really is the most I can offer there.

Not sure if Six Cylinder might be able to help out with temporary storage space in this neck of the woods? Might be worth an ask.

Do we know if it rolls? If so, and we plan ahead to make sure we have reasonable ramps on hand it should be the work of 30 minutes to get it loaded.

It's a bit far for me to just go to take a look for you sadly!

If someone is willing to pay for van hire, I'd be willing to drive up to Sheffield and bring it back to MK. Only a couple hours each way. Should be pretty easily done in a day, so you should get some change out of £200 for van hire + diesel I'd think. That's me hiring a van from Enterprise by the way - I don't do cheapy garage forecourt van hire any more after I had one of their clapped outlet dogs lose a wheel half way up the A90 one day and having had several jobs try to get me to take out vehicles with bald tyres, no oil in, dashboards lit up like Christmas trees etc...

I wouldn't be able to keep it here for more than a week or two as I'm already one car over capacity, but it could give a bit of breathing room and should be able to pretty quickly give it the once over to see if there's anything obvious that's stuffed or missing.

It *cannot* stay here long term though, I'm in an annoyingly tidy suburban area, and turning the place into an Invacar dealership ain't likely to go down well with the neighbours! I've already been locked a few times as to when the Lada will be gone. A week or three really is the most I can offer there.

Not sure if Six Cylinder might be able to help out with temporary storage space in this neck of the woods? Might be worth an ask.

Do we know if it rolls? If so, and we plan ahead to make sure we have reasonable ramps on hand it should be the work of 30 minutes to get it loaded.

It's a bit far for me to just go to take a look for you sadly!

thank you very much for the offer of temporary space and the offer of giving it a once over I may very well take you up on that depending on how things go  :)

im not sure if it rolls or not sadly. the seller said its only issue where its brakes, i dont know if he meant it had none, or if they where sized from sitting around and just needed whacking with a big hammer/adjusting off?

would make my life a whole lot easier if all it needed was some slight brake work to hit the road :) (although no idea what condition the tires etc are in)

(it was last on the road in 2013ish it seems, so hopefully its in relatively good shape and wont require major recommissioning work)

ill keep Six Cylinder in mind thats not bad shout :)

(who owns the field of dreams again?)

At the very least you should be budgeting on three new tyres, all brake lines, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and a few days of general fettling before it goes near the road.

"Last on the road" may well have meant "limped five miles to my local car show once" rather than "was in good health and regular use."

It's relatively recent compared to most we've seen though, so hopefully should be a good basis for a project.

Yes I know I've not changed all the wheel cylinders on TP, but that's because I've had them on and off two cars so knew they work...if I were taking a new project on, I'd spend £15 odd per wheel to have nice new ones you could just chuck in there and know they would work. Especially if you're starting out, making your life easy is worth a few quid.

At the very least you should be budgeting on three new tyres, all brake lines, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and a few days of general fettling before it goes near the road.

"Last on the road" may well have meant "limped five miles to my local car show once" rather than "was in good health and regular use."

It's relatively recent compared to most we've seen though, so hopefully should be a good basis for a project.

Yes I know I've not changed all the wheel cylinders on TP, but that's because I've had them on and off two cars so knew they work...if I were taking a new project on, I'd spend £15 odd per wheel to have nice new ones you could just chuck in there and know they would work. Especially if you're starting out, making your life easy is worth a few quid.

This X 1000:)

There is potential for you to get a car you want here - bring prepared to do the required work AND some preventative maintenance is key to stopping the dream turning into a nightmare..

I hope you get on well with the seller and have success!

aye I do fully realise work will need to be done, and that preventative maintenance is a good thing to do :)

(ill also have to "budget" for tools too, as I dont really have anything suitable for working on cars here)

but ill worry more about that once iv actually secured myself a Model 70 :)

Exciting development! This could be "the one" LBF! 

To find one at all is good going (well done, SiC!) but one that isn't a million miles away and that is potentially within budget is big news.

Yeah, im very thankful to SiC for bringing it to my attention :)

lets hope the seller gets back to me with those pictures etc :)

while I was at it, I updated the survivors list with some statistics :)

out of 31 known surviving Model 70s

9 are currently taxed

and out of that 9, Just 2 have current MOTs

just goes to show how few there are actually on the road sadly (id say DW original/longstanding estimate of only about 5 or so being on the road is probably pretty accurate)

And despite those low numbers, the forum might be about to acquire its fifth one!

Where are you planning to keep it LBF whilst you work on it? Obviously it's not going to be able to be kept on a public road.

I dunno, Captain70s is able to *just* about able to getaway with with working on his dolomite on the public road  :mrgreen:

thats obviously not ideal, and im thinking what, hopefully light, work it needs to return to the public highway could be done by another shitter in exchange for Moneys or something :)

the low down is basically:

haggle the seller down to a price I can vaugely afford,

then figure out somewhere to stash it, and also how im going to transport it/afford transportation to said location (because even if I by some miracle am able to buy it for £800, that will leave me with nothing for transportation)

then while its in "storage", sort out its Q plate issue, and hopefully get it somewhat road worthy

then at least once the Q plate issue is sorted, drag it/drive it to my dead end parking spot, and then go from there :)

Is it possible for you to register this as a trike, dope yourself to the eyeballs on prescription painkillers and pass a CBT, then drive it on a bike license? It'd save you a fortune in insurance for starters I'm sure. Saying that, what are the rules on trikes and capacity? Probably all totally irrelevant but just chucking it out there.

I always wanted a plastic pig on the road at 16 as I wasn't allowed a motorbike due to my old man only just surviving a scooter accident in his teens.