LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

1 minute ago, Nicola H said:

i think it's a case of the  full centralisation  of the DVLA operation  meant that  the previous local / county / regional offices that the DVLA maintained even once computerised   and whatever 'favours'  they did   for dealers  and  fleets  went to the wall wit hthe offices

aye, indeed, but eventually they reverted on certain policies once enough people complained, but during 1974 things where indeed a bit of a mess

see the mess that is the TVW501N-TVW577N GEV459N-GEV558N GPU21-GPU70N Model 70 blocks (where chassis numbers are all over the place LOL) for example

(but as previously mentioned i think, it looks like the mess was down to TVW-N Model 70's that where registered too late, so invacar where forced to registire them into GEV-N, rather then allowed to finish registering them in them in sequence with the rest of the TVW-N block, thanks to the "computer says no" attitude of the newly centralised DVLC)

(with I think the start of the GPU-N block handling the spillover from TVW-N/GEV-N once GEV-N hit 100 cars)

but the specific shitter related number plate shenanigans I describe, happened fairly recently, well after the DVLA centralised 

37 minutes ago, Nicola H said:

i was thinking of the more recent stuff being  related to the way in which the DLVA LVOs changed i nthe 90s and 200s before disappearing 

ahh, but when I say recent I mean like within this decade, im pretty sure it happened only a year or 2 ago

(I think the poster said he even called the DVLA to confirm he would get his original registration back, and then he didn't so was extra frustrated about it, but dont quote me on that, I still cant find the actual post sadly, but I think it was a case of just DVLA shenanigans rather then a different policy being in places for buses/coaches I think)

as a side note, im curious how the DVLA goes about choosing which plate/series of plates to issue, when issuing age related plates for a given year or such

as mentioned previously I know as late as 1998, you would get a plate local to where the vehicle was either registered (if imported vehicle) or when being given an age related plate due to plate transfers

for example XEV88S lost its plate in scotland 1998, and ended up with VES108S which is a scottish plate

but these days I dont THINK the DVLA bother with local plates for such activities so i'm curious how the DVLA decides which plate to issue or which plate series to start issuing

Number plate shenanigans were mine - I'm away from that company now though.

We had a pair of ex-Ulsterbus Tigers which were imported to the mainland and recertified as 72-seaters, K984 JNV and J930 UNC. I tried to get them back on their original plates (WXI 4408/4413) but wasn't successful, as despite the DVLA systems AND the V5s showing their original plates, J930 UNC ended up as J465 MJL.

2 hours ago, cms206 said:

Number plate shenanigans were mine - I'm away from that company now though.

We had a pair of ex-Ulsterbus Tigers which were imported to the mainland and recertified as 72-seaters, K984 JNV and J930 UNC. I tried to get them back on their original plates (WXI 4408/4413) but wasn't successful, as despite the DVLA systems AND the V5s showing their original plates, J930 UNC ended up as J465 MJL.

Ah I had a feeling it may of been you :) 

interesting!, didn't realise it involved NI stuff, that adds another layer to the fun!, tho info gleaned from this may come in handy should any NI Model 70's end up/show up back in england somehow!

the NI plates don't show up as void on my tool, it thinks they are still attached to the vehicle, but both curiously have 2010 Export dates

and then If I look up the corresponding British plate, I get the same vehicles, but each an import marker, and no record of the NI plate in the plate changes bit

but interesting you say that the V5 and DVLA system showed the original plates, when you say V5, do you mean you had the original NI V5s or somehow there was number plate history on the english V5?

and when you say DVLA system, do you mean as in you asked someone at the DVLA about it, or is there an official DVLA tool people can use to check plate transfers etc?

I do wonder if those NI plates where stuck on retention or such hence why you could not have them? IIRC @Datsuncog said that ulsterbus liked to hang on to their number plates to keep the fleet numbering matching the plates etc

(although if the plates where on retention id expect my tool to tell me so, but I dont know how my tool handles NI vehicles with plates on retention etc)

On 12/11/2019 at 12:03 PM, LightBulbFun said:

I do wonder if those NI plates where stuck on retention or such hence why you could not have them? IIRC @Datsuncog said that ulsterbus liked to hang on to their number plates to keep the fleet numbering matching the plates etc

(although if the plates where on retention id expect my tool to tell me so, but I dont know how my tool handles NI vehicles with plates on retention etc)

I'm not sure how it currently works, but historically there may have been some 'special favours' from the local DVLNI office with regard to number plate retention on buses over here.

As a recap, Northern Ireland Transport Holding Company (NITHCo, trading as Translink) was created in the late 1960s as an amalgamation of the old nationalised Ulster Transport Authority (UTA) bus and rail services and Belfast Corporation Transport buses.

What with NI's somewhat 'lively' history, during civil disturbances buses tended to be hijacked as useful barricades which would helpfully arrive according to timetable, ripe for burning. As a government owned company, some considered Ulsterbuses and Citybuses as 'legitimate targets'.

123152036_UlsterbusBurnout.jpg.7f507a06a51dd52bc9a81d362735450e.jpg

Accordingly, despite the best efforts of drivers and NITHCo management, during the 1970s and 80s around 1500 buses were destroyed, either individually or in firebomb attacks on depots. This is a level of fleet attrition which not many GB operators had to deal with.

ulsterbusses_destroyed_2.jpg.a91184919fd89e65a8e55fdcb12958ce.jpg

ulsterbusesonfire.png.9f1b1dde775388c4ed9d6fcb6d2d4c4e.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-39627920

It's possible that in these situations, buses which had been destroyed had their registrations automatically placed on retention by DVLNI, and were then reallocated to new replacement buses so they could keep using the same operational number.

Maybe it was the only way of keeping track of which vehicles were on or off the road at any given time?

On a happier note, here's Alexander-bodied Bristol RE No. 2599 (BXI 2599) now in preservation, with a current Wrightbus Volvo behind.

IMG_20170421_133028.thumb.jpg.cb764acd6113a92be3e5c71a346a3397.jpg

These REs and some even older Leyland Leopards were still in general fleet use until 2005, if you can believe it.

Also, here's two ex-NITHCo Leyland Tigers, XXI 1446 and RXI 3327, now having a second life as mobile catering halls for a film company.

20181218_092930.thumb.jpg.8b0abff13b4fc7a00b0f818c134b8c83.jpg

20181218_092924.thumb.jpg.7f14967c7114363e38f6fbea1d2daf80.jpg

Fibreglass advertising boards on RXI indicates it's ex-Citybus fleet.

I'm presuming these are the original registrations, though - possibly it was only at the point ex-NI buses were re-registered onto a GB plate that the originals reverted to Translink 'stock', as it were.

I've seen fairly new Metrobuses running around on reused plates (such as AXI series from 1983), which usually causes me to pause in wonder.

Three-digit plates, (like COI 515 seen burned out above) and ones with two matching numbers (like WXI 4408/4413) seem to have been more commonly allocated to NITHCo vehicles, for some reason.

Anyway, another digression - and since it was all centralised to Swansea a few years back, it could well have changed now anyway...

The V5s said literally said in the comments box at the bottom of the front page "PREVIOUSLY REGISTERED AS WXI 4408" and "PREVIOUSLY REGISTERED AS WXI 4413" - never seen it before or since on a V5! I kept tags on Cartell and as soon as J930 UNC dropped off, WXI 4413 reappeared. It even appeared on the Vehicle Enquiry page as WXI 4413... then it vanished again, then the new V5 arrived as J465 MJL.

The plates were surrendered when they were recertified. I spoke to Mike who imported them and his words were "NI plates made them look cheap, I never run anything on them" - our two became YHT 988 and JSK 957 with him. I spoke to Swansea and was told both plates were not retained or on vehicles.

The Translink scenario is different; they only started retaining 3x3 plates in the mid 2000s when the last ROI/AXI/BXI-plated Leopards came off, followed by the FXI/GXI Tigers. All of these vehicles got brand new issue NI plates on disposal. These plates then went onto vehicles on fleet, but I think all have since been sold on. More recently some other plates have been removed before vehicles were scrapped (CCZ 8808 was one, ISTR). These too recieved new issue NI plates.

As is the case in lots of bus fleets going back to the days of prefix and suffix plates, lots of registrations were reserved in order for fleetnumbers to match, or be close... my own local fleet in the early 80s was Western Scottish who had Leopards L30-L69 (GCS 30-69V), Fleetlines R70-89 (HSD 70-89V), and Ailsas A90-A113 (KSD 90-113W) for example. Ulsterbus and Citybus had similar sway though they had dateless plates which saw similar vehicles licensed years apart - some of the AXI-registered Bristol REs never entered service until 1986.

56 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

I'm not sure how it currently works, but historically there may have been some 'special favours' from the local DVLNI office with regard to number plate retention on buses over here.

As a recap, Northern Ireland Transport Holding Company (NITHCo, trading as Translink) was created in the late 1960s as an amalgamation of the old nationalised Ulster Transport Authority (UTA) bus and rail services and Belfast Corporation Transport buses.

What with NI's somewhat 'lively' history, during civil disturbances buses tended to be hijacked as useful barricades which would helpfully arrive according to timetable, ripe for burning. As a government owned company, some considered Ulsterbuses and Citybuses as 'legitimate targets'.

123152036_UlsterbusBurnout.jpg.7f507a06a51dd52bc9a81d362735450e.jpg

Accordingly, despite the best efforts of drivers and NITHCo management, during the 1970s and 80s around 1500 buses were destroyed, either individually or in firebomb attacks on depots. This is a level of fleet attrition which not many GB operators had to deal with.

ulsterbusses_destroyed_2.jpg.a91184919fd89e65a8e55fdcb12958ce.jpg

ulsterbusesonfire.png.9f1b1dde775388c4ed9d6fcb6d2d4c4e.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-39627920

It's possible that in these situations, buses which had been destroyed had their registrations automatically placed on retention by DVLNI, and were then reallocated to new replacement buses so they could keep using the same operational number.

Maybe it was the only way of keeping track of which vehicles were on or off the road at any given time?

On a happier note, here's Alexander-bodied Bristol RE No. 2599 (BXI 2599) now in preservation, with a current Wrightbus Volvo behind.

IMG_20170421_133028.thumb.jpg.cb764acd6113a92be3e5c71a346a3397.jpg

These REs and some even older Leyland Leopards were still in general fleet use until 2005, if you can believe it.

Also, here's two ex-NITHCo Leyland Tigers, XXI 1446 and RXI 3327, now having a second life as mobile catering halls for a film company.

20181218_092930.thumb.jpg.8b0abff13b4fc7a00b0f818c134b8c83.jpg

20181218_092924.thumb.jpg.7f14967c7114363e38f6fbea1d2daf80.jpg

Fibreglass advertising boards on RXI indicates it's ex-Citybus fleet.

I'm presuming these are the original registrations, though - possibly it was only at the point ex-NI buses were re-registered onto a GB plate that the originals reverted to Translink 'stock', as it were.

I've seen fairly new Metrobuses running around on reused plates (such as AXI series from 1983), which usually causes me to pause in wonder.

Three-digit plates, (like COI 515 seen burned out above) and ones with two matching numbers (like WXI 4408/4413) seem to have been more commonly allocated to NITHCo vehicles, for some reason.

Anyway, another digression - and since it was all centralised to Swansea a few years back, it could well have changed now anyway...

Like for the interesting info, not for the poor burned out buses!

its interesting to note that pretty much all invalid carriages where the result of war but where never really issued during war,, but the Model 70 is I think the only invalid vehicle to actually be issued/have "served" during a war (because of the troubles etc) and I do wonder if thats why the last 80 or so Model 70's where all sent to northern ireland 

I wonder it was because they were expecting there to be an increased demand for them due to the troubles? or just as a safety precaution for the same reason "right we are wrapping up the invalid vehicle scheme, lets send a stockpile of them to NI to be safe"

(especially as its interesting to note that, before these 80 cars, most NI Model 70's before then where generally registered pretty close date wise their nearest english block, only a month or 2 out at most, its only with the last 80 do the dates of first registration start stretching to many months or years after the end of production etc)

28 minutes ago, cms206 said:

The V5s said literally said in the comments box at the bottom of the front page "PREVIOUSLY REGISTERED AS WXI 4408" and "PREVIOUSLY REGISTERED AS WXI 4413" - never seen it before or since on a V5! I kept tags on Cartell and as soon as J930 UNC dropped off, WXI 4413 reappeared. It even appeared on the Vehicle Enquiry page as WXI 4413... then it vanished again, then the new V5 arrived as J465 MJL.

The plates were surrendered when they were recertified. I spoke to Mike who imported them and his words were "NI plates made them look cheap, I never run anything on them" - our two became YHT 988 and JSK 957 with him. I spoke to Swansea and was told both plates were not retained or on vehicles.

The Translink scenario is different; they only started retaining 3x3 plates in the mid 2000s when the last ROI/AXI/BXI-plated Leopards came off, followed by the FXI/GXI Tigers. All of these vehicles got brand new issue NI plates on disposal. These plates then went onto vehicles on fleet, but I think all have since been sold on. More recently some other plates have been removed before vehicles were scrapped (CCZ 8808 was one, ISTR). These too recieved new issue NI plates.

As is the case in lots of bus fleets going back to the days of prefix and suffix plates, lots of registrations were reserved in order for fleetnumbers to match, or be close... my own local fleet in the early 80s was Western Scottish who had Leopards L30-L69 (GCS 30-69V), Fleetlines R70-89 (HSD 70-89V), and Ailsas A90-A113 (KSD 90-113W) for example. Ulsterbus and Citybus had similar sway though they had dateless plates which saw similar vehicles licensed years apart - some of the AXI-registered Bristol REs never entered service until 1986.

very interesting! I have never seen that on a V5 before either!

its interesting to note that "J465MJL" does not show its previous 3 digit ageless plate in its previous registrations

image.thumb.png.018129bcedce5949082feca65d9ac058.png

but K984JNV does show its previous ageless plate

image.thumb.png.b23f5e4e49afd9bfc1b32a76616d6a75.png

(the 1st keepers dates are blank, because the tool gets that date from date of first registration in the UK, which it does not know for some reason on a lot of imported vehicles, but does tell me the date of registration as 01/09/2010)

I wonder if the recertification, is why they have import markers with 2010 date of registrations and the NI regs have export markers etc? 

(or maybe the DVLA was treating them as new vehicles a bit like if you have a kit car and it gets re-registered, hence the issuing of new UK regs rather then retaining the NI reg but since the buses where not radically altered they still wanted people to know what the previous registration was?)

its interesting to note on the DVLA checker the english registrations show up with the NI's date of first registration

I wonder if the shenanigans with WXI4413 are because NI and GB had two different systems at the time and the bus was immediately re-registered when it arrived in GB. WXI4413 was in DVLNI records as exported and J930UNC in DVLA records as imported, and when the data was merged there was nothing to tie these two records to the same vehicle so WXI4413 and J930UNC appeared to be two different vehicles. That's perhaps why the re-registration failed: computer said no as a record already existed for WXI4413, implying it was still allocated to another vehicle so the poor DVLA clerk got confused and just issued a new J-prefix.

so this afternoon/evening went well :)

Simon of the ICR finally found time to drop my house and we spent about 2 and a half hours discussing various things to do with the ICR

but the long and the short of it is, simon was very happy with me and all of my research etc and im officially a member of the ICR now!, which will hopefully open up a few doors for me

still obviously very early days, but simon hopes to instate me in the role of record keeper and vehicle historian (ie the guy who keeps track of all the invalid vehicles known to survive, and the guy who does all the research into them etc, which is what im doing on my own anyway, and thats the role id like to be part of, as well as helping out with the DVLA side of stuff)

but yeah I officially have my foot in the door which is always a good start! its exactly what I had hoped for :)

then hopefully I can work my way up from there!

10 minutes ago, Christine said:

Demand a  company car  plus petrol allowance ....

id probably end up with a Half a Mk12 and a bottle of 2 stroke oil! :mrgreen:

(but if that half still has the door I could give it to @egg LOL, does remind I wonder if simon does have a spare Mk12 door or not I know he has about 7 Mk12s, but sadly i dont think many of them have doors either!)

26 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Simon of the ICR finally found time to drop my house and we spent about 2 and a half hours discussing various things to do with the ICR

but the long and the short of it is, simon was very happy with me and all of my research etc and im officially a member of the ICR now!, which will hopefully open up a few doors for me

still obviously very early days, but simon hopes to instate me in the role of record keeper and vehicle historian (ie the guy who keeps track of all the invalid vehicles known to survive, and the guy who does all the research into them etc, which is what im doing on my own anyway, and thats the role id like to be part of, as well as helping out with the DVLA side of stuff)

but yeah I officially have my foot in the door which is always a good start! its exactly what I had hoped for :)

Well done! :-)

I hope it is the start of a mutaully beneficial and long term association with the ICR and who knows, it could lead to a career in this kind of area in due course.

Thinking about the 'age-related plates', I'm not sure that the DVLA did have a policy of adopting local registrations when these came in first of all, if at all. Cars were allocated 'A' suffix registrations originally, from areas that still had stocks of numbers that hadn't been issued previously, such as Coventry (HP). The first series' of non-suffix numbers I remember being issued were Scottish registrations. The SK series was one of these and a friend had a Triumph Herald with such a plate.

Back when the letter suffix registrations were introduced, if I remember correctly, there wasn't an obligation to adopt the letter suffix until 1966. Some areas used up all their stocks of suffix-free numbers and moved over to 'A' plates in 1963, other areas didn't make the move until 1966 and 'D' suffix plates. Some areas moved over early and ended up with stocks of unused registration numbers and these were allocated as both 'A' suffix and non-suffix numbers to cars that had lost their registrations over time.

There was a bit of a backlash from the classic car community on the 'A' suffix plates being issued, as with the new numbers being non-transferable, pre-1963 cars were ending up with numbers that weren't actually correct for their year and they were stuck with them. One of my cars has an 'A' plate from this early scheme and as such, I could now swap it for a non-suffix number. but I liked the 'A' number and kept it, even though it makes the car appear two years NEWER than it is!

On the subject of NI registrations, one of @Six-cylinder's cars came from NI and retained its 1966 NI registration number, which was four numbers and two letters. He registered it in England in the early 1980s and was offered an age-related British number if he wanted it, in case the car having an NI plate led to issues arising from that at the time. He declined and kept the NI number, which was much more interesting than a 'D' suffix.

38 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Well done! :-)

I hope it is the start of a mutaully beneficial and long term association with the ICR and who knows, it could lead to a career in this kind of area in due course.

indeed I hope the same, and indeed, obviously its early days, but potential employment etc was one of the things discussed which is pretty exciting! :) 

13 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Thinking about the 'age-related plates', I'm not sure that the DVLA did have a policy of adopting local registrations when these came in first of all, if at all. Cars were allocated 'A' suffix registrations originally, from areas that still had stocks of numbers that hadn't been issued previously, such as Coventry (HP). The first series' of non-suffix numbers I remember being issued were Scottish registrations. The SK series was one of these and a friend had a Triumph Herald with such a plate.

Back when the letter suffic registrations were introduced, if I remember correctly, there wasn't an obligation to adopt the letter suffix until 1966. Some areas used up all their stocks of suffix-free numbers and moved over to 'A' plates in 1963, other areas didn't make the move until 1966 and 'D' suffix plates. Some areas moved over early and ended up with stocks of unused registration numbers and these were allocated as both 'A' suffix and non-suffix numbers to cars that had lost their registrations over time.

There was a bit of a backlash from the classic car community on the 'A' suffix plates being issued, as with the new numbers being non-transferable, pre-1963 cars were ending up with numbers that weren't actually correct for their year and they were stuck with them. One of my cars has an 'A' plate from this early scheme and as such, I could now swap it for a non-suffix number. but I liked the 'A' number and kept it, even though it makes the car appear two years NEWER than it is!

On the subject of NI registrations, one of @Six-cylinder's cars came from NI and retained its 1966 NI registration number, which was four numbers and two letters. He registered it in England in the early 1980s and was offered an age-related British number if he wanted it, in case the car having an NI plate led to issues arising from that at the time. He declined and kept the NI number, which was much more interesting than a 'D' suffix.

interesting :)I think that perhaps things where a bit different for Pre suffix cars/plates, and cases where the car being issued a new registration was already a suffix reg car

since with pre suffix plates there would not of been many spare to start with so cant have been issued according to location even if you wanted to, and also as you say the shortage of suffix plates is why A Suffix plates where issued at first

however on something like XEV88S, I imagine there would of been plenty of scottish S Reg plates left still so they where able to give it the local plate, VES108S either that or its just a coincidence that it got issued a scottish plate when it lost XEV88S in scotland!

(but the fact NVW556P got EHJ74P makes me think they did try and issue local plates when possible, because both VW and HJ are chelmsford)

(side note I think the obligation to issue suffix plates came 1965 not 1966)

very interesting to hear of @Six-cylinder NI car, and that he was able to retain its number, it would be interesting to have the number and see how the vehicle date of first registration is shown on the DVLA/my tool :)

im curious @Six-cylinder do you remember if you had to register the vehicle fresh as if it was an imported vehicle/new vehicle, or did they just copy over/transfer the data from the NI V5?

sheds more light on LOI6831 I guess they would of also been given a similar option to keep the number, assuming the rules was the same in 1978

3 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I have heard that some registration offices never actually ran out of the 2 letter 4 mumber plates and were still issuing them into the 1960s.

indeed I remember reading that too would not surprise me for some of the smaller offices in small scottish locations for example, 

(which is also where a lot of the current age related suffix less plates come from these days as well )

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

very interesting to hear of @Six-cylinder NI car, and that he was able to retain its number, it would be interesting to have the number and see how the vehicle date of first registration is shown on the DVLA/my tool :)

im curious @Six-cylinder do you remember if you had to register the vehicle fresh as if it was an imported vehicle/new vehicle, or did they just copy over/transfer the data from the NI V5?

sheds more light on LOI6831 I guess they would of also been given a similar option to keep the number, assuming the rules was the same in 1978

It is my E Type 9477 OZ and while I was the third person to have it on the mainland it was never registered or driven and had no paperwork with it.

In the early 1980s there was deadline announced that all cars not on the DVLA computer would not be able to be registered (from memory the deadline was April 1984) so I set about getting mine on the DVLA computer. I sent them a letter telling them I had it and please could they register it and send me a log book, they said no not without documentary evidence. I had to contact the correct department in NI who issued me a duplicate old style log book and then the DVLA were happy to put it on the computer.

It was the height of the Irish troubles and while I was entitles to use it on it's NI plate in mainland Britain the DVLA were conscious that it was not a good time to be marked out to have an Irish connection and were offering the choice to have a D reg plate instead. I did seriously consider a D plate because of the troubles, but I am glad I did not go that route now and the fact it started life in Belfast just makes it more interesting. 

DSCN9256 Etype crop broad.jpg

3 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

It is my E Type 9477 OZ and while I was the third person to have it on the mainland it was never registered or driven and had no paperwork with it.

In the early 1980s there was deadline announced that all cars not on the DVLA computer would not be able to be registered (from memory the deadline was April 1984) so I set about getting mine on the DVLA computer. I sent them a letter telling them I had it and please could they register it and send me a log book, they said no not without documentary evidence. I had to contact the correct department in NI who issued me a duplicate old style log book and then the DVLA were happy to put it on the computer.

It was the height of the Irish troubles and while I was entitles to use it on it's NI plate in mainland Britain the DVLA were conscious that it was not a good time to be marked out to have an Irish connection and were offering the choice to have a D reg plate instead. It did seriously consider a D plate because of the troubles, but I am glad I did not go that route now and the fact it started life in Belfast just makes it more interesting. 

very interesting, Thanks for the info :)  checking it out on my tool indeed shows no previous registration plates or such, and interestingly no import marker either

I guess if a vehicle managed a "smooth" transition from NI to england it would not gain an import marker (LOI6831 does not have one either) and would be on the DVLA as any other normally registered car over here, just wearing its NI plate

and interesting to see that the date of first registration is 8 March 1966 which I assume was when It was first registered in belfast,

I was wondering if its date of first regiation was going to be the date when you got it registered in the UK in the 1980s or if it would be when it was first registered in NI,

(LOI6831's date of first registration is 03/03/1978 but with the year of manufacture down as 1976 which fits the chassis number and age of NI plate it wears etc, so I think its date of first registration is when it was first regged in england not NI)

as you say the NI history makes it more interesting, dont think i have seen a NI registered E type until now!, (interesting point about the troubles, makes you wonder why they did not issue LOI a new plate to play things safe, unless the user specifically requested to keep the plate or something such?)

(side note, your the only registered keeper, I guess the keeper count from the NI buff? logbook did not get transferred over)

long shot but you dont happen to have any of the corresponding paperwork from when ya did this back in the 1980s? not asking you to go digging for it now, but it would be interesting to unearth it some day have a read of it and see just what wording etc the DVLA used etc etc! because I find this sort of stuff far too interesting!

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Great stuff LBF - its about time all you invacar peeps started talking to each other.  Hope it goes on well - but one step at a time I think - Softly, softly, catchee monkey!  as they used to say.  

8428PH  plate was on a 64  triumph herald , and I sold the plate, the herald was issued with another number. I can't remember what it was though. By then,  the car had a kit car body fitted, but still had the herald v5    . 8428PH is now on a BMW, in the next village actually!  ... Is it possible to see if the herald / kit car still exists?  Plate was sold in the late 80's....

38 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

Great stuff LBF - its about time all you invacar peeps started talking to each other.  Hope it goes on well - but one step at a time I think - Softly, softly, catchee monkey!  as they used to say.  

yeah exactly :) well I have been talking to stuart and simon via facebook for some time now, but simon wanted to meet with me in person before committing to anything etc, which is very understandable, always worth making sure this random person on the internet who keeps rambling on about invacars actually does exist and is who he says he is!

id very much like to meet Stuart in person some day as well (I imagine stuart will be quite pleased with the news he has been wanting to get me into the ICR for a good while now)

13 minutes ago, Christine said:

8428PH  plate was on a 64  triumph herald , and I sold the plate, the herald was issued with another number. I can't remember what it was though. By then,  the car had a kit car body fitted, but still had the herald v5    . 8428PH is now on a BMW, in the next village actually!  ... Is it possible to see if the herald / kit car still exists?  Plate was sold in the late 80's....

sadly I cant normally trace where a number plate has been

but if you can give me/PM me that heralds chassis/VIN number then I can try look it up that way and see what its new plate was/is :) 

7 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

It was the height of the Irish troubles and while I was entitles to use it on it's NI plate in mainland Britain the DVLA were conscious that it was not a good time to be marked out to have an Irish connection and were offering the choice to have a D reg plate instead. I did seriously consider a D plate because of the troubles, but I am glad I did not go that route now and the fact it started life in Belfast just makes it more interesting. 

Phooar that's one nice E Type there @Six-cylinder

Didn't know it had a NI registration. 

XEV 88S must have been in Tayside when it was re-registered; I'm not up to scratch on Tayside's re-registration series as such but I know that YSR-T was such a series in that area.

In my local area (Glasgow... ish) FUS-S, WDS-V, WGB-W, E-CHS, L-AYS, N-PYS, N-RGD, T-RGA, V-LYS, and W-ASB were all re-registration series. Daresay I could find more if I were to go looking.

6 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Phooar that's one nice E Type there @Six-cylinder

Didn't know it had a NI registration. 

As I think I mentioned before

I cant wait for Dolly to be on the road, because among many other reasons, so @Mrs6C can park it up next to the E type

and then you can say "Got the Jag and the AC parked up together for a nice photoshoot" and then when people expect an AC Ace or Cobra, you can show them the actual pictures of the E Type and the Model 70 together :mrgreen:

(and the fun thing is the Model 70 is rarer then the E Type!)

9 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Well done LBF! Good advice to tread softly though, I guess some in the ICR might take a while to accept the young upstart know-it-all* - until they realize you DO actually know what you're talking about. 

*meant in a nice way

indeed I think thats why Simon wanted to visit me in person, and I think he realized that I do know what im on about and I am real!

and now its just down to him to find the time etc to get things into gear etc, its still simon after all, so things may take its sweet time LOL 

you really do find the wackiest/weirdest things when searching for invacars...

image.thumb.png.d50f8e1628646d611dfdb9f41fd505f2.png

got another Mk12 chassis number im trying to find the registration number of, I found the FTW701H-FTW800H block, and the GEV201H-GEV300H block, the only problem is the chassis number sits in a block between those 2 blocks

and I searched through FVW-H FVX-H and FWC-H and did not find any blocks!, so im going to search again just incase I missed a block somehow

wonder if this guy liked his boeings :) 

image.thumb.png.0046f58295c68a075dbaf9e421fab75f.png

13 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Taxed for the next 57 years? Excellent, I guess the owner will never have to worry about renewing its tax ever again.

I really do wonder what exactly happened there LOL "would sir like the 6 month 12 month or 60 year tax ...."

I wonder if somehow a continuous SORN got changed to taxed, and 2077 is either the largest year/number/integer the system/program can handle or if 2077 is technically when a continuous SORN ends? who knows LOL

the amusing thing is it happened to a historic vehicle, that didn't even have to pay for tax in the first place LOL

(and also is just a cosmetic thing or it really is down in the system as taxed until 2077, 3rd party websites also seem to think its taxed till 2077 for what thats worth LOL)

(this whole thing reminds me of the year 2038 problem)