LightBulbFun

Invacar Model 70 Acquired! and general ramble thread, index on page 1, Multi person Multi day Multi Invacar Multi collection caper :)

So looking at my Invacar Model 70 Reg/Chassis number list I could tell between JHJ548N and REV451R that there were 15 private Invacar Model 70's made between those 2 private ones

using the new info explained above, I decided to see if any of the registration blocks I have documented between those 2 fall out of sync by 1, indicating that theres a private Model 70 in there somewhere

and well I noticed that it happened to the MHJ-P block, but turns out there's no private Model 70's in that block, but somehow MHJ54P got assigned to a Bedford of some kind!

image.thumb.png.39c8a73fe834c2648ffcbfac90632c6f.png

which would have the same effect of sending the chassis numbers and registration numbers out of sync, like a Private Invacar Model 70 would

this does once more prove that my theory/methods holds up, and it correctly detected that there was a something that was not a DHSS Model 70 in that block somewhere :)

now to do the rest of the blocks I have left in between JHJ548N and REV451R and see if I can come across an actual private invacar Model 70 :)

as a side note heres a Model 70 that died 35 years ago to the day (rather fitting reg number there!)

image.thumb.png.a1c536c18443d5c59c68f6d490aaf37b.png

8 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Sounds like a Bedford TK truck is the interloper.

Oh cool I was wondering if anyone could ID it :) 

I wonder how it ended up in the Middle of an Invacar block, I wonder if Invacar themselfs bought it for some reasons and just slotted it in with the line of Invacars being registered (esp as its blue, Invacar blue I wonder?)

(I now have this picture in my mind of a long line of invacars waiting to be registered and there being a random truck in the middle, "so what disability gets you THAT modification?!" :mrgreen: )

haha yeah :) I have been wondering if it would be possible to present my case, and go "how much would it cost to have a copy of every single record you have on hand by the company Invacar Ltd?"

although if Pre Model 70 Invacar chassis numbers are anything to go by, thats about 100 thousand! invacars LOL

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283540757424

2104100180_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.bf5826c7f8194667a413c64347673fe4.jpg

I do wonder given a Mk12 can do 45Mph flat out, I wonder what these earlier villers machines could do given they dont have a fibreglass body to also lug around  LOL

the most uncanny thing for me is how it looks like there's nothing controlling the front wheel (but you can see a steering rod lower down)

6 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

The disappearance of the ICR Facebook page is hilarious - just because someone asked an awkward question they didn’t like. 

Wonder how they’d react to questions about funding...

yeah, I know they get funding from the National lottery http://www.invalidcarriageregister.org/

I dont think they would be very happy to hear how their money is being used...

if I really wanted to troll them I would tweet "PPC363R" at them :mrgreen:

Just got this from stuart, dont be alarmed by it, its just saying Dont intentionally go out of your way to fuck with the ICR, which I agree with, while I dont agree with how the ICR do things at all, id never do something to intentionally harm them, especially as that would do more harm than good, remember for example they hold all of stuarts documents and id not want to see those lost, (we just trying to nip this in the bud before anyone gets any silly ideas thats all!)

Just a general heads-up whilst've I've got five mins & not directed solely at you but at Autoshite as a whole. I've just had a browse though the last few pages on your topic...    Statement begins. I will state that if any members of Autoshite insist upon waging or continuing any puerile campaigns against the ICR, then I end all communications with any members of Autoshite. Even though I am no longer in any position with the ICR, the ICR is still my "baby" as it were, and I will not stand by to see it attacked by outsiders who either fail or refuse to understand the policies & direction of the current incumbent.  Statement ends. Feel free to quote me directly.

Just did a bit more research into the whole northern ireland Model 70's thing and I think although the XEV-S block stops at 116, I think it was meant to continue to 123, because 117-123 dont show up anything, but 124 is a ford, and if I do some maths XEV123S would be the chassis number that is SOI7570, so I suspect either XEV117-123S where exported to NI, or they where never issued because those 7 where sent to NI when new

3 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

indeed  :) stuart saved that one along with a bunch of other Mk12s in 2013ish IIRC, I say that one, the art people got ahold of 3 Mk12s from stuarts find, so it could be any 3 or they could of put all 3 into 1 good one, i dont know what happened sadly

I have a very cool picture from that find that im saving for when @egg gets his Mk12 MOTed :mrgreen: 

29 minutes ago, GrumpyCat said:

Model 70 behind the Tippen at 3:02?

ohh very good spot! I had seen the tippen delta there but not the Model 70 (well it could also be a AC Acedes Mk14/15 Model 67 :) )

@barrett you dont happen to have any pictures of the tippen delta and the Model 70 do you? id love to know more about them (esp the Model 70 so I can document into my survivors list :) )

so I just had a batch of Registration numbers ran through a proper HPI check for me, these are all registrations whos chassis numbers I cant pull the normal web tool I use sadly

and I got some very interesting results :)

I had the following numbers run today GPG721K, REV707K, DPD715J, UPB406M, WOO849S, LOO1P, LOO150P

GPG721K checks out (Although its part of the Z block, but the chassis number starts with 2, I suspect there may have been a OCR fail or something with the Z being interpreted as a 2, I have not seen it happen to any other Z block Model 70 I have documented however)

REV707K was a couple numbers off from what stuart told me it was, however the new number i have better matches the early Model 70 registration/chassis number relationships so I suspect it is what the HPI check says it is :) (I have informed stuart, so he can update his records if he got it wrong, or maybe he just made a typo when telling me it a few months ago)

DPD715J sadly does not show up on the HPI check at all despite it showing up on the DVLA checker strangely

UPB406M comes back as exactly what I calculated it to be, but I wanted this one confirmed :) 

WOO849S sadly also does not come back on the HPI check (this one is close to the weirdness that is WOO848S, so I wanted to see if what its chassis number is and see if it was related to WOO848S or not)

LOO1P is one I have been quite curious about, as its out all on its own, until you get to LOO142P, so I had wondered if it was a private Model 70, but nope its a DHSS Model 70, I wonder how it ended up on its own like that (it will be interesting to see what Stuart says about it, as he did not know of LOO1P until I told him about it)

LOO150P is one stuart gave me to try and shove into my Chassis number to VIN tool, when we were figuring out what its limits are, and I wonder if its survivor somewhere, as...

very interestingly, it looks like the DVLA did have a "scrapped" marker before the CoD was a thing,

as apart from GPG721K and LOO150P, every other one comes back marked as "scrapped" on the HPI check thing

I guess back then even if you told the DVLA you scrapped a car they kept it in the records? or maybe when they setup the whole online DVLA checker thing, they did not bother to exclude scrapped cars from the list? (only removing them going forward with the introduction of the CoD?)

all in all some very interesting and unexpected results! im very very thankful to the person who ran all these Number plates for me!

So pleased about your REV exploits!

I think there is no point in poking the ICR. No good will come of it. Hopefully there can, at some point, be a meeting of minds and a chance to move forward with the records and everything. This really should be about the cars, the heritage and Stuart's valuable records more than anything else.

ohh what a fun and exciting weekend this has been!

like most collection capers this one started with a choochoo-mobile

image.thumb.png.9fe1134cce19934936a91c9f410f4d65.png

got to the station where Zel picked me up for the weekend :) 

where on saturday we headed out at 7:30AM to go pick up something up...

on the way I saw this magnificent* beast 

image.thumb.png.51a267745b2ceadbef275b51127a53de.png

over the dartford crossing

image.thumb.png.521bc3941a2fe2a4dd28c02c73009a07.png

which soon turned into Campervan rally stage :) 

image.thumb.png.7d639c4e08ce8a562281cc1adb36bd9c.png

the finally we knew we where at the right place when this scene came into view :)

image.thumb.png.8652bb53fd01a24336a6c52b848238f7.png

that's right we were collecting my Invacar Model 70 :D #alltheexcite!

im very pleased to say, that the seller decided to sell to me and the other person going half and half with me (Im not sure if that person has announced themselves as the buyer of the other Model 70 so ill let them do that if they wish to :) )

after having a nice long chat with the seller about Invacars and stuff, paying for everything as well as doing the ownership change online, we disembarked to the FoD (the Man with the Van having left a while ago with my invacar for the FoD before we did, hence the invacar arriving first)

(I thought I had grabbed more pictures at the sellers place, but sadly I did not, but the other person going half and half with me did grab a few pictures thankfully :) )

papping a Routemaster on the way :)

image.thumb.png.6736d6667503d914113cab4360ff96ed.png

eventually we made it to the FoD where this scene greeted us :)

image.thumb.png.25733c0d1cb62cb791f1d8b2ef9cf7f9.png

aka @Slowsilver finding out what understeer in an Invacar is like!

image.thumb.png.0d06abfe560483c44fcfe4ad3d0748b5.png

so yes this is My invacar Model 70! as you can probably tell im very excited about it all! a lot of time and effort has gone into finding one, and its finally paid off!

image.thumb.png.ce767183611f7c8ef0787851d7989776.png

im very thankful to all those who have helped and supported  me along the way, especially to @Zelandeth for helping me out with the collection caper, and in general just being there for me especially when I really needed help with all the government BS im going through, many thanks to @egg @mrbenn  for the support and encouragement even when things were looking down or  turned a bit unpleasant, many thanks to @Mrs6C who went and half and half with me and so I could be able to afford to buy REV451R,  many thanks to the 2 people who donated to the go fund me thing @1970mgb setup, every little helps as they say! many thanks to Stuart Cyphus for helping me out with uncovering the mysteries of the Invalid carriage :) and of course many thanks to Jean Hammond of the RUMCar collection for giving me the tip off/lead in the first place! :)and long may this thread continue :) (Just because I now own one, does not mean this thread is going to be any less active! LOL)

this is also my first car, its been way too pleasing to say "yeah let me hop into my car and drive there"  :mrgreen: (across the FoD in this case, to get Pizza Yummy!) 

which resulted in this cool shot :) 

image.thumb.png.ecbb2bddd9f4447c48cde89f72d7f888.png

im very happy with the condition of everything :) it only needs just a bit of recommissioning work and then she should be fit to hit the road, I think I did pretty good here!

main legal things are just bulbs and tyres

but the brakes are a bit weak and could do with adjusting, and just as a safety precaution we plan to replace all the brake lines, and fuel lines

and also just give the carb a good clean out, and obviously a general service :) (from what we understand REV451R was last on the road around 2003ish)

we already replaced the Air filter as we had that on and off a few times (because it it ran out of fuel mid hoon and sucked some crap into the carb blocking some jets, that and stale fuel not helping things which meant we lost idle for a little bit, but after I hopped back in, the idle returned :) )

as the old one was a bit* fucked LOL as seen in this picture, also engine bay shot :) (notice the bonnet stay is different to TWC and TPA, on those its a hoop type thing)

image.thumb.png.d9c23f271a568708215603d428e5ab73.png

we spotted a lot of little differences between REV vs TWC/TPA, (REV451R being a fairly late Model 70 from October 1976 :) )

ill go into those little details a bit later on :)

it was very interesting to finally see the VIN plate of a Private Model 70 :) its very amusing how they just painted over the "Government Property" bit :mrgreen: (also interesting to see the Contract No Had bit is still there, makes sense tho given how Invacar just plucked it off the DHSS production line)

image.thumb.png.952a22bae6439013c6239a5906c96ed6.png

all in all an Awesome weekend, and a very successful collection caper :) (this is also my first collection caper!)

I have a few more pictures etc that ill be posting about in a while once I have settled down a bit more :) (and im sure many other people have pictures and videos they will be sharing, I look forward to seeing those :) I have been keeping an eye on autoshite over the weekend on my iPad :) )

Fantastic! :-)

Some more shots and video of REV arriving at the FoD on Six Cylinder's Motoring Notes page here:

https://autoshite.com/topic/19386-six-cylinders-motoring-notes-free-camping-for-all-shiters-next-weekend-192021-july/?do=findComment&comment=1840314

17 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Fantastic! :-)

Some more shots and video of REV arriving at the FoD on Six Cylinder's Motoring Notes page here:

https://autoshite.com/topic/19386-six-cylinders-motoring-notes-free-camping-for-all-shiters-next-weekend-192021-july/?do=findComment&comment=1840314

indeed I have been stalking that thread over yesterday and today on the iPad giving likes n such :) 

15 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I've seen a pic of REV451R at the Field of Dreams. 

Please tell me it got there with you?!

as you have probably seen already, indeed it did :) 

6 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

So pleased about your REV exploits!

I think there is no point in poking the ICR. No good will come of it. Hopefully there can, at some point, be a meeting of minds and a chance to move forward with the records and everything. This really should be about the cars, the heritage and Stuart's valuable records more than anything else.

indeed I have not bothered to make any sort of contact with them after they did what they did,

and indeed I very much agree with what you say there about it being about the cars etc :) 

speaking of we got the workshop manual and spare parts book with REV451R, and even just having a cursory glance at things it was very intesting!

there's a lot more in the workshop manual then whats in the PDF scan we have, so thats very exciting! 

@Zelandeth has the books and has very kindly volunteered to digitise them for us so I very much look forward to that :)

Yep, all being well I'll start getting those digitised this evening or tomorrow.

I'll make two versions - one high DPI for use at desktop machines (usually go for 650dpi) and a 300dpi version which is a little more friendly for emailing, downloading over mobile data etc. 

There's a LOT of stuff in the service manual here which just isn't there in the PDF we've had doing the rounds for a couple of years...so version 2.0 of that should follow shortly.

REV really needed a new air cleaner element...this is the worst I've seen in a while!

IMG_20190713_203258.thumb.jpg.8df597f7cb5df23bac89253f48b8751e.jpg

Good thing we had a spare on hand!

35 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Yep, all being well I'll start getting those digitised this evening or tomorrow.

I'll make two versions - one high DPI for use at desktop machines (usually go for 650dpi) and a 300dpi version which is a little more friendly for emailing, downloading over mobile data etc. 

There's a LOT of stuff in the service manual here which just isn't there in the PDF we've had doing the rounds for a couple of years...so version 2.0 of that should follow shortly.

REV really needed a new air cleaner element...this is the worst I've seen in a while!

IMG_20190713_203258.thumb.jpg.8df597f7cb5df23bac89253f48b8751e.jpg

Good thing we had a spare on hand!

Is the filter paper in that cage removable?