LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

3 minutes ago, egg said:

@LightBulbFun - nice to see your original screen wash bottle is intact - quite a miracle that it's not been smashed (bet it is a bit brittle).

I was thinking you regarding that, theres a second hand bottle in the bundle of spare parts :)

(I went to pump the windscreen washer fluid for dollywobbler reasons, got 1 weak squirt and then it was all over LOL I looked over and saw theres not really any fluid left in the bottle, so that will need sorting, hopefully the pump is alright)

I think we have enough Model 70's floating around to replicate this now :mrgreen:

freegifmaker.me_2eGbw.gif

for those wondering, speaking to Zel he confirmed that his mould lines on TPA are still more rounded then whats on an Invacar Model 70' even after he stripped the 700 layers of paint from TPA

so my way of detecting an AC vs Invacar rear bodys still stands :) 

but one thing I do wonder is, all the Invacar body work I have been able to inspect up close bar TWC has been from after the 1975 Factory fire

so I do wonder if pre 1975 Invacar Model 70's have different mould lines, and I wonder if are they more like AC mould lines hence explaining TWCs rear body work, or does TWC really actually have the rear body work from an AC?

@st185cs if you could post detailed rear pictures of NOO738M and WHK372L it would be greatly appreciated! those 2 Predate the factory fire, so assuming they have their original body work, it would finally fill in all the gaps I have in my research regarding the rear body work mouldings :)

23 hours ago, plasticvandan said:

You won't insure it with a bike company now,they won't touch Reliants these days do you have no chance with them. I would start ringing round soon,as you are going to have a long hard time of it,as you meet every criteria that insurance companies hate,London,no off road parking,unemployed,under 25,no driving experience,a three wheeler registered in a defunct category,that is widely understood to have been made "illegal" in 2003,I know it's incorrect,but it's widely believed.I would get in contact with the nabd,national ass bikers with disability,don't let the biker big put you off,it's essentially a body for disabled people with all manner of one off trikes,bikes and sidecars etc etc.membership may even open doors to insuring the thing.

Plus one for the NABD.

They know their stuff and will help you, expect you to join of course.

They also run a good Rally, but it;s a long way from that London.

since everything has been collected etc I can now share the 2 videos I was given during the sales period :) there not much but I figured id share them for completeness sake :) (I did not share them initially as it showed who the seller was and I did not want anyone interfering with anything etc)

interesting to note OPH868R has a starter dog, where as REV451R does not...

it would be interesting to compare engine numbers :) 

Cor, Dez, you've been busy!

Just catching up on all this now - mega congrats on finally tracking down your very own Model 70. After all your sleuthing, I'm delighted that it's finally paid off.

To find any Model 70 is tricky enough, as you well know; to track down a sound, original runner for within your budget is little short of a miracle. The fact that it's one of the very few privately sold examples, complete with a decent history file and a load of spares, is the (glassfibre) cherry on the metaphorical Invacar cake. Phew.

The fun starts here: owning an older car always presents certain challenges, but it's great to see such an AS community spirit ready and willing to lend a hand when needed. Although there may be some frustrations with insurance and whatnot, the biggest challenge was always finding the right car. Hopefully, that part of the puzzle is now complete, and you'll be in a position to deal with the other stuff as it arises.

That's a good development on the disability payments front too - here's hoping that the tribunal assesses your GP evidence properly this time, and finds in your favour. That seems to be the way these things go, from anecdotes I've heard - they deny the first claim regardless of how strong the case (to weed out 'scroungers', as it's so delicately put), then look at it properly only when someone appeals. A rather inefficient and cruel way of doing it, but there we have it. 

Can't wait to see how this thread progresses, and best of luck with the recommissioning (and driving lessons).

Yeah its been a very busy week or 2! :)

indeed! I never aimed for a private one or anything specifically, I was just chasing any and all leads that i could get! I guess Newton's third law applies to hunting for Cars as well, given the amount of effort and time I put into it, it "paid off" big time with REV451R! :mrgreen:

indeed its been very much Grab the car, worry about the rest later! ill worry about insurance when she is closer to being on the road/when I have my full driving licence

main thing next is driving lessons, and on that note, does anyone here  know of any good driving instructors/schools around London they can recommend? (preferably East London so I don't break myself traveling to and and from the place)

on the invacar front (well its all invacar fronts right now :mrgreen: ), does anyone own the book " AC Heritage" apparently theres a picture of JHJ548N the other Private Invacar Model 70 (I know in an AC book LOL)

sadly its not actually known if that one survives or not or what became of it just that tax ran out in nov 2008, so REV451R might be the last surviving Private Invacar Model 70! (although who knows what might be hidden away somewhere and I do hope JHJ does survive! :) )

if anyone owns the book if they could post that picture here that would be neat :)

also for @Jon it looks like all invalid vehicles in NZ where privately bought examples, but that NZ did get quite a few Tippen deltas etc

also the hard top tippen delta from that 40 year old BW photo actually survived :) im still not sure why all the Invalid cars in NZ are red tho! (iv had this picture saved for a while, I only noticed when talking to stuart that its the same one as the BW photo :) )

tippen-delta-red.thumb.jpeg.33a418b14b38feceb1d17d0a0b394712.jpeg

stuart didn't have a proper picture of the Red Harper Mk6 so he was happy to get the 2 pictures you posted :) and he was also happy to find out the Chassis no details of the other Red Tippen Delta and of the Red haprer

we are also wondering if the reg 22-189 means anything in NZ? it was on a blue Harper that sold a few years ago over there, sadly does not show up on that Car jam website

15 minutes ago, Nyphur said:

Congratulations :)

Who bought the other one?

Twas @Mrs6C as seen here :) https://autoshite.com/topic/19386-six-cylinders-motoring-notes-free-camping-for-all-shiters-next-weekend-192021-july/?do=findComment&comment=1842464

(perhaps a temporary title change might be best for that thread so people know whats what?)

speaking of, I have updated the Survivors list with REV451R and OPH868R :)

now up to 41 Documented surviving Model 70's

On 3/13/2019 at 5:30 PM, barrett said:

Oh yeah, Duncan has a couple of invacars - I expressed some interest in one and our friend Stefan did this sketch of it for me

post-3924-0-54784200-1552498169_thumb.jpg

(http://stefanmarjoram.com/store - he's very good)

@Mrs6C you mentioned having a friend who had a Tippen Delta and a Model 70, he doesn't happen to own a Fiat S76 does he

#connectingthedots :mrgreen:

On 7/14/2019 at 8:51 PM, quicksilver said:

I was wondering though, looking at the way the government property declaration has been crudely blacked out on the chassis plate, combined with the newly-discovered fact that Mr Webb didn't buy it new and the other known private Model 70s not being registered in Essex, was REV actually a private car from new or did the government sell it to Mr Webb? The registration is in a batch that appears to run from REV375R to REV475R (374 is a Chrysler and 476 is a Hillman) but then again that adds up to 101 cars where 100 would be more logical so maybe REV451R was indeed an extra private one registered in the middle of a DHSS batch for some reason. Hopefully all this is documented in the history file.    

this did make me realise I was counting my numbers slightly wrong

not in anyway that affected chassis number calculations (because my calculations still work on the diffrence between 2 numbers)

its just that I thought it was 99 or 199 cars per block

but I realised I was not counting the first car

because take KPL-P block for example

its KPL11P to KPL210P and its 199 numbers from 11 to 210, but I was forgetting to count that 11 also counts in this case if that makes any sense!

now I know its 100 or 200 per block :)

just one of those slight math derp moments im happy to have resolved :)

check out this history bomb stuart just gave me :) (the letter is from 29th sept 2006)

image.thumb.png.0c1cbd0fb9a1184f4de6859b3e494b26.png

it explains this in my history file :)

image.thumb.png.c730ccaf1ee1f00e793d9953ef3df904.png

I wonder what foot controls REV would of originally had?

(I have never seen a Handlebar Model 70 with foot pedals but I see no reason one could not have existed, John told us how he had a brown trouser moment in one where he went to depress the handle bars to brake, only to find them bolted in place because of the foot brake!)

5 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Twas @Mrs6C as seen here :) https://autoshite.com/topic/19386-six-cylinders-motoring-notes-free-camping-for-all-shiters-next-weekend-192021-july/?do=findComment&comment=1842464

(perhaps a temporary title change might be best for that thread so people know whats what?)

After this weekend camping for the Festival of the Unexceptional.

3 minutes ago, Christine said:

Mrs2C now ?

My Forum name came about 1980 when I needed a handle for the then popular AM CB radios, I was driving a Triumph Vitesse 2 Ltr and it was pretty rare to have a 6 cylinder car amongst my peer group at the time so I adopted the name.

Now Mrs 6C has a V8 car so I am not quite sure what you call her 2C, 4C, 5C, 6C and 8C!

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

check out this history bomb stuart just gave me :) (the letter is from 29th sept 2006)

image.thumb.png.0c1cbd0fb9a1184f4de6859b3e494b26.png

it explains this in my history file :)

image.thumb.png.c730ccaf1ee1f00e793d9953ef3df904.png

I wonder what foot controls REV would of originally had?

(I have never seen a Handlebar Model 70 with foot pedals but I see no reason one could not have existed, John told us how he had a brown trouser moment in one where he went to depress the handle bars to brake, only to find them bolted in place because of the foot brake!)

Some interesting stuff in that letter, “Which?” was/is the name of the magazine mailed monthly to members of the Consumers Association. My parents took it in the 1980s. I think they’re probably still on the go, so there’s an article for you to track down there. Your local library may well have old copies in the reference section. 

EDIT. There’s a reference in the Greeves book to an edition of Which around March 1972, which may or may not tie in with the people in the letter. 

Edited by mk2_craig
Extra

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

On the commute home today, I was pondering what noun one might use to refer to a collection of several Invacars (or Model 70s). I'd like to suggest a 'Mobilisation of Invacars' would be about right! :-)

reading the above letter, I hold no responsibility if the ghost of marion webb haunts you :mrgreen:

17 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

An Infestation of Invacars??

I knew someone would say that

I feel it would be apt to post this LOL (see 7:45 if the time stamp link does not work)

been checking REV451R on the DVLA checker and still no change in anything

does anyone know how long it normally takes for the DVLA to register a keeper change when you do it online?

I know at some point it should say Keeper change like this lorry currently does

384222905_Screenshot2019-07-19at14_16_10.thumb.png.e16a0620789ea83df1644dbc4706e0b4.png

I do have this confirmation email from them when I did it on the 13th but thats all I have so far...

1677324016_Screenshot2019-07-19at14_21_25.thumb.png.201e058a3c9ec99695d6c4e0c058755c.png

(I do have both the new keeper green slip and the entire Last V5 issued to the previous owner)

5 minutes ago, plasticvandan said:

if you did it on,line you will generally have the v5 within a week.

aye im just wondering when it should update online

because its still acting like no owner change has been done

(Its still showing as SORN, and I cant SORN it via the number on the new keeper slip thingy and its still showing 2012 as the date of last V5 issued)

4 minutes ago, plasticvandan said:

dont worry about it,you will have the v5 before the online system has had a chance to update!

Thanks, I have never done this sort of thing before, so im not really sure what to expect

but I know this forum has done it the most out of any other car forum probably :mrgreen:

hence why I was asking if anyone knew whats supposed to happen and how long it takes etc

Re driving test. People tend to start driving lessons, then after a while apply  for a theory test.

Once you have a provisional licence you can apply for a theory test 

There's loads of advice and test papers online  Once you pass the theory, you have 2 years to pass the driving part, or have to resit the theory.

An instructor will help train you for the theory, but may charge you for it in a classroom with others, or build it into the lesson, so you get less driving.

Some instructors may also leave the theory test late, so that if you fail,  you continue to have more driving lessons.

My advice, prepare yourself by reading up, apply for theory test,  £23 I think.  It's multiple choice, much of it common sense.

When you pass, then book lessons and tell them you have passed the theory. 

Cool good to know :)

thats a good point I didn't think about just doing the theory section straight away, but I see no reason I cant :)

ill do some more reading up and then some more practice runs (I have already done a couple in the past)

yeah the common sense thing caught me out, because I did not expect there to be any in the test, common sense is sadly anything but common these days!

one of the questions in one of the practice runs i took was something like:

"you cant see round the corner what do you do"

and one of the choices was "use the reflection in the shop window to see your way round"

and I thought ah thats what id do, but it seemed to "unofficial" to me so I didn't select it

but much to my surprise that was the right answer LOL

just been sent a preliminary scan of the workshop manual from Zel that we got with REV451R and OPH868R

and I dont think anyone has ever been this excited for a PDF ever LOL

its much better then the current PDF, just in the fact its scanned properly and not in 1 bit greyscale, so all the pictures are properly visable :) 

and it contains a good bit more info

(the old PDF we had was 98 pages long, this one is 137!)

all very exciting stuff for me at least! I will go over it with a fine tooth comb in the coming days :) 

(Ill be waking up at 7:30AM so its best I dont do it now!)