LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

1 hour ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Gee, I need glasses! I thought the Tipper text was just crazing of the paint!

I assume the rear plate matches? (Matching front and rear original plates would back up the notion of no accident damage/all original body).

yeah I think the the rear plate matches (incase your not aware, if you click on an image, and then click on it again, it should open the image on its own without the rest of the forum etc, if you then click on that it will zoom in all the way :)

IMG_20190713_142726.thumb.jpg.ba81df7a917251d8109ef2bae6dad914.jpg

(another picture borrowed from Zel :)

YES! This is fantastic to see, so happy for you that you've got your own Invacar! Your perseverance has paid off! And good work to all involved in the collection/delivery.

Looks like a very interesting example and in really good nick, too! Bit of fettling and it'll be good to go 8)

Really sorry I didn't manage to get to FOD last weekend, family stuff put paid to it at the 11th hour. Would hope to see this in the flesh (fibreglass) in the not too distant future.

Looking forward to seeing lots more about it in the coming weeks :)

Well done, mate :)

8 minutes ago, lanciamatt said:

Are you going to fotu on Sat, I've just booked on, great to be able to meet you. 

im not 100% sure yet, hopefully ill know later in the week, I would like to tho :) (well id like to make to to the FoD gathering, I dont have a FotU ticket or anything)

8 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Great that you finally got one, Dez!  Very, very pleased for you.

heres a few more random pics/spots from the weekend :) 

image.thumb.png.32ec3783eb6969b1b5b51c7a8ff47ae4.png

right angles :)

image.thumb.png.e8e7aae4b2b131ea80304cbff62d9269.png

and a Volvo 240 Estate I spotted when walking home on sunday :) 

image.thumb.png.d0fa4ae87de71fbdd9a1594c19d4b951.png

Congratulations on getting the Invacar. Like some others I fully confess I thought you’d never succeed in getting the car of your dreams, well not any time soon anyway.

Your persistence and diligent research has paid off magnificently and proved me and others of little faith wrong, so well done!

Maybe see you at the FoD this weekend. 

P.S. I hope you enjoy the Lamps and Lighting book, as soon as I saw it in my parents ‘these books are for the charity shop’ box I knew it should find a way into your possession!! 

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

P.S. I hope you enjoy the Lamps and Lighting book, as soon as I saw it in my parents ‘these books are for the charity shop’ box I knew it should find a way into your possession!! 

The book is still on our coffee table, not that we refused to hand it over, just forgot!

yeah I think the the rear plate matches (incase your not aware, if you click on an image, and then click on it again, it should open the image on its own without the rest of the forum etc, if you then click on that it will zoom in all the way
IMG_20190713_142726.thumb.jpg.ba81df7a917251d8109ef2bae6dad914.jpg

(another picture borrowed from Zel

Ah, the Tippers script is much clearer on the rear. There is just something great about an old car with its original number plates, none of this new-font Perspex rubbish here thank you very much.

You may want to think about replacing the plastic bolts though, they get very brittle with age and we don’t want to loose a plate! I think you can still get the plastic bolts new.

thanks for the warning ill make sure something is done about it :) I was wondering if those where just plastic caps over metal screws or not

(interesting how you can you see the text more clearly on the rear, for me its easier to see it on the front picture LOL)

33 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Congratulations on getting the Invacar. Like some others I fully confess I thought you’d never succeed in getting the car of your dreams, well not any time soon anyway.

Your persistence and diligent research has paid off magnificently and proved me and others of little faith wrong, so well done!

Maybe see you at the FoD this weekend. 

thanks :) yeah im very happy and pleased with myself that everything paid off in the end :)

58 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

The book is still on our coffee table, not that we refused to hand it over, just forgot!

Oops! i completely forgot about it too, I got a bit distracted by hurtling across a field in my shiny* new* invacar :mrgreen:

I think its best you hand it to Zel next time you see him, and I can grab it from him, and in the meantime I know he will very much enjoy reading it when he has time :)

18 minutes ago, SiC said:

Congrats on getting it. As a side admin note, have you remembered to declare this as SORN? You need to do it on keeper change. 

I have not actually declared it SORN yet as its still showing as SORN on the DVLA checker and date of last V5 issued as 2012, so I dont think my keeper change i submitted online has gone through fully yet, (but I do have a confirmation email from them)

hopefully ill have the V5 in my name in a few days :)

Brakes wise if the lines all pass an inspection with a microscope (having had each of the pipes, a couple of which looked fine pop on both of mine so far, anything vaguely suspect should be changed), and they pass the test of applying as much force to the "pedal" as you can (I literally jumped on the handlebars)...then I reckon a few emergency stops on a tarmac surface are in order.

This made all the difference to the brakes on TPA.  They were very wooden until I'd been able to give the drums and shoes a good scrub up.

That's definitely after tyres though...I reckon the nearside rear will pop given any real provocation given the current state of it.

My tyres came from Classic Tyres over at Bicester Heritage.  Probably a few quid more expensive than a few web services, but that's worth it to me to be able to actually walk into an actual retail establishment to buy stuff...guess I'm a bit too old fashioned these days.

I reckon the front bumper will be fine with just a bit of Fibral forced into the cracks from behind the panel and a little filler to smooth it out from the front.  Very little to sort there compared to anything I've had to work out.

Dez, just declare it SORN.  You just need the reference number from the new keeper supplement on the V5 you've got.  There's no reason not to do this or to wait for the system to catch up.  If it can't process it for any reason it will just throw an error up and not let it proceed.  The SORN is automatically cancelled when you got to tax it (which will need you to present the V112 and a certificate of insurance).

yeah the tyres where a right state, I struggled to read the markings on them through all the sidewall cracking LOL, I cant imagine the rather bumpy field helped! (esp when I went over that rocky patch by the refreshments/food :mrgreen: )

just tried to SORN it right now and got this

image.thumb.png.a8bbd9fca1b6b191a614a30bb335a705.png

not too surprised to be honest, as I thought the system is still processing things I think, ill just do it once I have the V5 in hand in my name :)

Ref the sorn,I had the exact same thing buying a sorned bike recently,got that message with the new slip,then tried later and it said wrong code (v5 had been changed to my name) then when I got v5 it said it was already sorn so I couldn't do it.emailed doovla and told them,they said it was an error on their system,notified department I had sorned it,and got a sorn confirmation in post a few days later.

2 hours ago, skoda_fan said:

Have just caught up with this and just wanted to add my congrats. Your enthusiasm and depth of knowledge at the Hammond collection meet were both obvious and infectious. So pleased for you. Well done and have fun with it. (Btw I'm the guy with the Jap Sherpa convertible :-) .)

1 hour ago, plasticvandan said:

Ref the sorn,I had the exact same thing buying a sorned bike recently,got that message with the new slip,then tried later and it said wrong code (v5 had been changed to my name) then when I got v5 it said it was already sorn so I couldn't do it.emailed doovla and told them,they said it was an error on their system,notified department I had sorned it,and got a sorn confirmation in post a few days later.

thanks for the heads up, ill keep an eye on things over the coming days, and if nothing progresses then ill poke the DVLA about it

did your bike have its Date of V5 issued updated when it said the wrong code?

(mine is still showing 2012, which was the second V5 in the seller's name)

and thats the pile of paperwork that is REV451Rs history, individually sleeved and stuck into a ring binder :)

image.thumb.png.7656295792bc47a2e25f8c09e9ce31fc.png

most of it is from 2012-2013 when the DVLA suddenly decided to class REV451R as a Class 2 Invalid carriage, which broke the system and caused all sorts of issues, luckily that has been long since resolved I think!

but there is some of it dating back to 1985 when Mr Webb first acquired her, and it does list the details of the first owner :) a  Mrs Constance Nina Bendall (does that mean anything to anyone? I wonder what her story is, ie why did she buy a Model 70 privately etc)

also on that 1985 document it specifically lists the unladen weight as 413.2Kg (on later docs its listed as 413.0Kg)

and on a personal note, it looks like the fit note I got from my GP has done the trick, and the government seem to be paying me benefits again for now, im guessing until the tribunal happens (although a date for that aint been set yet)

which means i'll have some consistent income to pay for driving lessons and the like woo! :)

heres a couple more interesting things iv noticed while thumbing through the history file 

on the 1985 V5 I have of REV451R (well its a photocopy of it) the "INV" part of the chassis number is already a 1 which is interesting to see, I have wondered if that was a fairly recent thing or not (for those who dont know if a chassis number contains the letter I, that letter I gets interpreted back as a number 1 by the DVLA)

its worth noting that SOI7570, does actually report back INV rather then 1NV, so it looks like they handled things differently when digitising everything in NI (which makes sense as IIRC @Datsuncog said it was all done by hand in NI)

and in the 2000 V5 I have (this is the actual V5) from when John first got REV, there is an option on the V5 under Section C to tell the DVLA that you have scrapped the vehicle, so that explains the scrapped markers despite things predating the CoD :) (with this scrapped, tick box missing from the 2012 V5 I have, because I guess by then the CoD was a thing)

its very interesting to see how the V5 itself evolved over time, there's a lot more fields (most of which are empty LOL) on the 2012 V5 then say compared to the 1985 V5 or even the 2000 V5

it will be interesting to see what the V5 looks like when that arrives in my name :)

another couple interesting things, was Dennis webb had REV451R, insured via motorbike insurance company. never thought about trying to insure it that way...

(I just automatically ruled it out, since well its not a Motorcycle!)

mind we are talking 19 years ago here and i know things have changed since then!

as a side note I just had a bit of a brain wave, the last keeper details where only removed when GDPR kicked in right?

and IIRC @dollywobbler got TWCs V5 before GDPR kicked in, so it should have the last users details on there :) would be very cool to see if they are still alive and track them down so they can say hello to their old invacar again!

(DHSS invalid vehicles issued long time to a user had the V5 put in their name)

You won't insure it with a bike company now,they won't touch Reliants these days do you have no chance with them. I would start ringing round soon,as you are going to have a long hard time of it,as you meet every criteria that insurance companies hate,London,no off road parking,unemployed,under 25,no driving experience,a three wheeler registered in a defunct category,that is widely understood to have been made "illegal" in 2003,I know it's incorrect,but it's widely believed.I would get in contact with the nabd,national ass bikers with disability,don't let the biker big put you off,it's essentially a body for disabled people with all manner of one off trikes,bikes and sidecars etc etc.membership may even open doors to insuring the thing.

20 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

If you've got a copy of the 85 V5, surely that'll have a keeper's contact details on it? 

indeed thats how I found out who the original owner was :) all 3 V5s have the previous keepers details listed (Im guessing with the GDPR rules, the one in my name wont have it?)

9 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

but there is some of it dating back to 1985 when Mr Webb first acquired her, and it does list the details of the first owner :) a  Mrs Constance Nina Bendall (does that mean anything to anyone? I wonder what her story is, ie why did she buy a Model 70 privately etc)

(I just wasn't sure when typing that up if what I was looking at was a old V5 or something else)

15 minutes ago, plasticvandan said:

You won't insure it with a bike company now,they won't touch Reliants these days do you have no chance with them. I would start ringing round soon,as you are going to have a long hard time of it,as you meet every criteria that insurance companies hate,London,no off road parking,unemployed,under 25,no driving experience,a three wheeler registered in a defunct category,that is widely understood to have been made "illegal" in 2003,I know it's incorrect,but it's widely believed.I would get in contact with the nabd,national ass bikers with disability,don't let the biker big put you off,it's essentially a body for disabled people with all manner of one off trikes,bikes and sidecars etc etc.membership may even open doors to insuring the thing.

yeah ill be feeling things out in the coming weeks, thankfully having it very kindly parked off the road for me, has afforded me a bit of a breather to take things a better pace and not have to rush anything :)

(NB this Model 70 being a private Model 70 means its 101% clean regarding it being "stolen" from the government or anything such, not that, that means anything these days since the invalid vehicle service has long since ceased to exist :))

2 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

I'll just leave this here... :-)

178409893_16-Jul-19-DollyandREV.thumb.JPG.6bffca6ff368d3ebd928ed840f2c4a21.JPG

ohh exciting!

1 minute ago, plasticvandan said:

One wonders how private owners were able to obtain spares,as the dhss central stores wouldn't supply anything to the public,hence why it was all destroyed

from what I understand since the mid 1950s or so the DHSS had an agreement where they would service private examples free of charge as if they were their own :)