LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

3 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

indeed  :) stuart saved that one along with a bunch of other Mk12s in 2013ish IIRC, I say that one, the art people got ahold of 3 Mk12s from stuarts find, so it could be any 3 or they could of put all 3 into 1 good one, i dont know what happened sadly

I have a very cool picture from that find that im saving for when @egg gets his Mk12 MOTed :mrgreen: 

29 minutes ago, GrumpyCat said:

Model 70 behind the Tippen at 3:02?

ohh very good spot! I had seen the tippen delta there but not the Model 70 (well it could also be a AC Acedes Mk14/15 Model 67 :) )

@barrett you dont happen to have any pictures of the tippen delta and the Model 70 do you? id love to know more about them (esp the Model 70 so I can document into my survivors list :) )

so I just had a batch of Registration numbers ran through a proper HPI check for me, these are all registrations whos chassis numbers I cant pull the normal web tool I use sadly

and I got some very interesting results :)

I had the following numbers run today GPG721K, REV707K, DPD715J, UPB406M, WOO849S, LOO1P, LOO150P

GPG721K checks out (Although its part of the Z block, but the chassis number starts with 2, I suspect there may have been a OCR fail or something with the Z being interpreted as a 2, I have not seen it happen to any other Z block Model 70 I have documented however)

REV707K was a couple numbers off from what stuart told me it was, however the new number i have better matches the early Model 70 registration/chassis number relationships so I suspect it is what the HPI check says it is :) (I have informed stuart, so he can update his records if he got it wrong, or maybe he just made a typo when telling me it a few months ago)

DPD715J sadly does not show up on the HPI check at all despite it showing up on the DVLA checker strangely

UPB406M comes back as exactly what I calculated it to be, but I wanted this one confirmed :) 

WOO849S sadly also does not come back on the HPI check (this one is close to the weirdness that is WOO848S, so I wanted to see if what its chassis number is and see if it was related to WOO848S or not)

LOO1P is one I have been quite curious about, as its out all on its own, until you get to LOO142P, so I had wondered if it was a private Model 70, but nope its a DHSS Model 70, I wonder how it ended up on its own like that (it will be interesting to see what Stuart says about it, as he did not know of LOO1P until I told him about it)

LOO150P is one stuart gave me to try and shove into my Chassis number to VIN tool, when we were figuring out what its limits are, and I wonder if its survivor somewhere, as...

very interestingly, it looks like the DVLA did have a "scrapped" marker before the CoD was a thing,

as apart from GPG721K and LOO150P, every other one comes back marked as "scrapped" on the HPI check thing

I guess back then even if you told the DVLA you scrapped a car they kept it in the records? or maybe when they setup the whole online DVLA checker thing, they did not bother to exclude scrapped cars from the list? (only removing them going forward with the introduction of the CoD?)

all in all some very interesting and unexpected results! im very very thankful to the person who ran all these Number plates for me!

So pleased about your REV exploits!

I think there is no point in poking the ICR. No good will come of it. Hopefully there can, at some point, be a meeting of minds and a chance to move forward with the records and everything. This really should be about the cars, the heritage and Stuart's valuable records more than anything else.

ohh what a fun and exciting weekend this has been!

like most collection capers this one started with a choochoo-mobile

image.thumb.png.9fe1134cce19934936a91c9f410f4d65.png

got to the station where Zel picked me up for the weekend :) 

where on saturday we headed out at 7:30AM to go pick up something up...

on the way I saw this magnificent* beast 

image.thumb.png.51a267745b2ceadbef275b51127a53de.png

over the dartford crossing

image.thumb.png.521bc3941a2fe2a4dd28c02c73009a07.png

which soon turned into Campervan rally stage :) 

image.thumb.png.7d639c4e08ce8a562281cc1adb36bd9c.png

the finally we knew we where at the right place when this scene came into view :)

image.thumb.png.8652bb53fd01a24336a6c52b848238f7.png

that's right we were collecting my Invacar Model 70 :D #alltheexcite!

im very pleased to say, that the seller decided to sell to me and the other person going half and half with me (Im not sure if that person has announced themselves as the buyer of the other Model 70 so ill let them do that if they wish to :) )

after having a nice long chat with the seller about Invacars and stuff, paying for everything as well as doing the ownership change online, we disembarked to the FoD (the Man with the Van having left a while ago with my invacar for the FoD before we did, hence the invacar arriving first)

(I thought I had grabbed more pictures at the sellers place, but sadly I did not, but the other person going half and half with me did grab a few pictures thankfully :) )

papping a Routemaster on the way :)

image.thumb.png.6736d6667503d914113cab4360ff96ed.png

eventually we made it to the FoD where this scene greeted us :)

image.thumb.png.25733c0d1cb62cb791f1d8b2ef9cf7f9.png

aka @Slowsilver finding out what understeer in an Invacar is like!

image.thumb.png.0d06abfe560483c44fcfe4ad3d0748b5.png

so yes this is My invacar Model 70! as you can probably tell im very excited about it all! a lot of time and effort has gone into finding one, and its finally paid off!

image.thumb.png.ce767183611f7c8ef0787851d7989776.png

im very thankful to all those who have helped and supported  me along the way, especially to @Zelandeth for helping me out with the collection caper, and in general just being there for me especially when I really needed help with all the government BS im going through, many thanks to @egg @mrbenn  for the support and encouragement even when things were looking down or  turned a bit unpleasant, many thanks to @Mrs6C who went and half and half with me and so I could be able to afford to buy REV451R,  many thanks to the 2 people who donated to the go fund me thing @1970mgb setup, every little helps as they say! many thanks to Stuart Cyphus for helping me out with uncovering the mysteries of the Invalid carriage :) and of course many thanks to Jean Hammond of the RUMCar collection for giving me the tip off/lead in the first place! :)and long may this thread continue :) (Just because I now own one, does not mean this thread is going to be any less active! LOL)

this is also my first car, its been way too pleasing to say "yeah let me hop into my car and drive there"  :mrgreen: (across the FoD in this case, to get Pizza Yummy!) 

which resulted in this cool shot :) 

image.thumb.png.ecbb2bddd9f4447c48cde89f72d7f888.png

im very happy with the condition of everything :) it only needs just a bit of recommissioning work and then she should be fit to hit the road, I think I did pretty good here!

main legal things are just bulbs and tyres

but the brakes are a bit weak and could do with adjusting, and just as a safety precaution we plan to replace all the brake lines, and fuel lines

and also just give the carb a good clean out, and obviously a general service :) (from what we understand REV451R was last on the road around 2003ish)

we already replaced the Air filter as we had that on and off a few times (because it it ran out of fuel mid hoon and sucked some crap into the carb blocking some jets, that and stale fuel not helping things which meant we lost idle for a little bit, but after I hopped back in, the idle returned :) )

as the old one was a bit* fucked LOL as seen in this picture, also engine bay shot :) (notice the bonnet stay is different to TWC and TPA, on those its a hoop type thing)

image.thumb.png.d9c23f271a568708215603d428e5ab73.png

we spotted a lot of little differences between REV vs TWC/TPA, (REV451R being a fairly late Model 70 from October 1976 :) )

ill go into those little details a bit later on :)

it was very interesting to finally see the VIN plate of a Private Model 70 :) its very amusing how they just painted over the "Government Property" bit :mrgreen: (also interesting to see the Contract No Had bit is still there, makes sense tho given how Invacar just plucked it off the DHSS production line)

image.thumb.png.952a22bae6439013c6239a5906c96ed6.png

all in all an Awesome weekend, and a very successful collection caper :) (this is also my first collection caper!)

I have a few more pictures etc that ill be posting about in a while once I have settled down a bit more :) (and im sure many other people have pictures and videos they will be sharing, I look forward to seeing those :) I have been keeping an eye on autoshite over the weekend on my iPad :) )

17 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Fantastic! :-)

Some more shots and video of REV arriving at the FoD on Six Cylinder's Motoring Notes page here:

https://autoshite.com/topic/19386-six-cylinders-motoring-notes-free-camping-for-all-shiters-next-weekend-192021-july/?do=findComment&comment=1840314

indeed I have been stalking that thread over yesterday and today on the iPad giving likes n such :) 

15 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I've seen a pic of REV451R at the Field of Dreams. 

Please tell me it got there with you?!

as you have probably seen already, indeed it did :) 

6 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

So pleased about your REV exploits!

I think there is no point in poking the ICR. No good will come of it. Hopefully there can, at some point, be a meeting of minds and a chance to move forward with the records and everything. This really should be about the cars, the heritage and Stuart's valuable records more than anything else.

indeed I have not bothered to make any sort of contact with them after they did what they did,

and indeed I very much agree with what you say there about it being about the cars etc :) 

speaking of we got the workshop manual and spare parts book with REV451R, and even just having a cursory glance at things it was very intesting!

there's a lot more in the workshop manual then whats in the PDF scan we have, so thats very exciting! 

@Zelandeth has the books and has very kindly volunteered to digitise them for us so I very much look forward to that :)

Yep, all being well I'll start getting those digitised this evening or tomorrow.

I'll make two versions - one high DPI for use at desktop machines (usually go for 650dpi) and a 300dpi version which is a little more friendly for emailing, downloading over mobile data etc. 

There's a LOT of stuff in the service manual here which just isn't there in the PDF we've had doing the rounds for a couple of years...so version 2.0 of that should follow shortly.

REV really needed a new air cleaner element...this is the worst I've seen in a while!

IMG_20190713_203258.thumb.jpg.8df597f7cb5df23bac89253f48b8751e.jpg

Good thing we had a spare on hand!

35 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Yep, all being well I'll start getting those digitised this evening or tomorrow.

I'll make two versions - one high DPI for use at desktop machines (usually go for 650dpi) and a 300dpi version which is a little more friendly for emailing, downloading over mobile data etc. 

There's a LOT of stuff in the service manual here which just isn't there in the PDF we've had doing the rounds for a couple of years...so version 2.0 of that should follow shortly.

REV really needed a new air cleaner element...this is the worst I've seen in a while!

IMG_20190713_203258.thumb.jpg.8df597f7cb5df23bac89253f48b8751e.jpg

Good thing we had a spare on hand!

Is the filter paper in that cage removable?

29 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Excellent news, I'm really happy that your perseverance has finally paid off. I enjoyed helping with the one in Sheffield. Look after it well, finding another may* be difficult.

thanks :) yeah that episode was fun, and thanks your help another Model 70 was returned to the road :)

indeed ill make sure its well looked after :)

On 14/07/2019 at 15:55, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Glad you finally got one :)

Thanks, shame there no loose gravel to drive it on :mrgreen:

On 14/07/2019 at 17:45, Dick Longbridge said:

Really tickled for you fella. Looks like you well and truly came up trumps with this one- I'm intrigued about the story surrounding the spares car and what you're now doing with this one. Is it going to live at FOD for a while?

yeah its exactly what I was looking for in a Model 70 :) 

it has a body in 1 piece and and has good oily bits and only needs minimal work before its roadworthy, and it was exactly in budget :) 

however I never expected to end up with a Model 70 with A such history behind it, and also a private one! considering only about 5 private Model 70's are known to still exist

so yeah im very very pleased with everything! :)

I got a big 50ish page history file just on REV which will be fun to go through :) (its probably the only Invacar with a history file like a normal car! LOL)

its interesting to note that it looks like Mr Webb actually got REV451R much later then we initially thought, turns out he got it in 1985 about when he semi retired, I wonder who the first owner was

(it also explains a hole in the story I was wondering about, because I was told they got a normal adapted car in 1974, and Mr webb bought REV as a back up, but if that was the case REV would of been a 1974 Model 70, not a 1976 one)

the "spares" car has a fun story all will be revealed in time :)

On 7/14/2019 at 7:51 PM, Christine said:

Does Mrs Hammond know you got it ? Well p!ayed anyway lad! ?

Thanks :)Yeah Was just thinking about that, need to make its properly registered with the RUMCar :)

heres the 2 videos I managed to shoot :)

pretty much everyone went "CRUNCH" me included at one point or another LOL

as even if the engine has returned to idle you do have to give it about 5-10 seconds for the internals of the gearbox to spin down, when taking it out of drive and before sticking it into reverse, or out of reverse and into drive

it also does not help that, its a long throw from neutral to reverse, but a rather short one to drive, so sometimes your not sure if your in gear or not :)

but then poor Quicksilver then Ran out of fuel, and it ended up sucking some crap into the carb blocking some the jets hence the picture of Slowsilver and co buried  head first in the engine bay, but it would not be autoshite if something didn't FTPed  :)

quicksilver expressed his dismay of braking invacars I said "ah dont worry you only broken 2 Invacars!" where he said "yeah thats 2 out of 2!" LOL :mrgreen:

we soon got it running again, but the idle decided to leave the building, until I hopped in and gave her an italian tune up along the field, where she then proceeded to idle happily again once more :)

(at one point during that I was a bit worried about turning her off incase she would not idle again, but we needed the front service hatch open for something, but the key was in the ignition, not to worry as Zel had the keys to TPA on him :mrgreen: )

i am pleased to say that eventually I did turn her off and restart her where she continued to idle without a hitch :)

also one for @dollywobbler im pretty sure REV has the same headliner that you fitted to TWC :) (picture borrowed from Zel) its worth noting that Stuart had not seen this type of headliner before until you found yours for TWC, and now the one in REV :)

image.thumb.png.fba097fa14dbff633b001eb48603d2a3.png

Ha ha, I've managed to maintain my unique record of breaking every Invacar I've ever driven :) Nothing serious though and at least we know all the crap and stale fuel is out of the tank now.  Well done Dez for achieving what so many of us thought was just a pipe dream that would never happen, and you've got a great example there.

I was wondering though, looking at the way the government property declaration has been crudely blacked out on the chassis plate, combined with the newly-discovered fact that Mr Webb didn't buy it new and the other known private Model 70s not being registered in Essex, was REV actually a private car from new or did the government sell it to Mr Webb? The registration is in a batch that appears to run from REV375R to REV475R (374 is a Chrysler and 476 is a Hillman) but then again that adds up to 101 cars where 100 would be more logical so maybe REV451R was indeed an extra private one registered in the middle of a DHSS batch for some reason. Hopefully all this is documented in the history file.    

Thanks :) try driving Eggs Mk12, it cant get any worse so maybe you might end up fixing something on it :mrgreen: (someone needs to try and see if the original engine will run/turn over :)

on the REV front as I explained in this post :)  https://autoshite.com/topic/32723-invacar-model-70-acquired-and-general-ramble-thread-index-on-page-1-multi-person-multi-day-multi-invacar-multi-collection-caper/?do=findComment&comment=1835527

with Invacar Model 70's the private ones where just plucked off the DHSS production line so to speak, and then they just shunted the chassis numbers so to speak, (because the Private Model 70's where part of their own chassis number series) which then meant the chassis numbers of the DHSS Model 70's fell out of "sync" by 1 with the registration (this also happens if theres a Non invacar in the middle of a block, like in the case of that Bedford truck in the middle of the MHJ-P block)

hence why Private Invacar Model 70's have Regs that are part of DHSS batches, the chassis number of REV451R also tells me its a private Model 70

with AC however if a private order came in, it would be registered wherever the buyer lived, or at least where registered on their own like a Private car, and not part of any DHSS block

and as mentioned all Private AC and Invacar Model 70's have chassis number formats that are different to DHSS Model 70's so thats another way I can tell if a Model 70 was a government example or a Privately sold example :)

with AC Model 70's, all the private chassis numbers start with "PS" this is thought to go all the way to the back to Private Metal AC Acedes :) and with Invacar private Model 70's start with INV C (rather then just INV)

Don't know if you still do it with all this data protection bollocks, but as the owner of a vehicle (historic definately), you could contact DVLA, and after crossing their palms with silver, they would copy and send all the documents, including owners etc to you. We used to do it for preserved buses so we knew who, when, where it changed even colour.

2 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Don't know if you still do it with all this data protection bollocks, but as the owner of a vehicle (historic definately), you could contact DVLA, and after crossing their palms with silver, they would copy and send all the documents, including owners etc to you. We used to do it for preserved buses so we knew who, when, where it changed even colour.

Yeah I am aware of that, but like you im not sure how it stands these days

I know the V888 does still exist, and I know fraser has sent one off for VES108S (XEV88S) because he wants to figure out the number plate stuff for himself

it will be interesting to see how he does there :)