LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

On 6/26/2019 at 2:05 PM, LightBulbFun said:

Just spoke to Fraser

it does not look like he is the other person, although he was also chasing up an Unknown Model 70 with steering wheel controls around the London area a while back, so go figure! (he said that person had 2 but wanted to keep 1, and he had not really been able to get much from him, other then he wanted £2K for that Model 70)

he did say that He was interested in the spares car if I do end up with them, but I told him that I already have an interested person, but thanks for the offer!

but speaking of steering wheels

on the spares car  can anyone ID this one? its not of a type I have seen on a Model 70 before, and is that a giant AC badge in the middle? it looks quite sporty LOL

image.thumb.png.447353d457202d6f11e53305e8dcc3a8.png]

you can also see where the roof seal has melted from the heat of a shed burning down next to it, tbh I was expecting a lot more damage from that! you can also see floor mounted hand brake controls like TJN352R :)

Yes that's a Mountney wheel, I have one in my Triumph. IMG_20190704_195825.thumb.jpg.5c578847db46e447f48106aaf3825aac.jpgThey're cheaper than Momo's but still good quality and British made. It did have Mountney in gold lettering on the black part of the middle spoke but that's long since worn off which is no surprise as its probably thirty years old or more. It's been on this car since 1995 and I had it on another car before that and I bought it second hand at a boot sale so thirty years is a conservative estimate. Apart from the Mountney lettering wearing off it's still perfect. 

They come in various sizes, mine's a 14", I would suggest the one in the Invacar is smaller as the leather bit on the end of the spoke covers the start of the slot. They went right down to shirt button size (10"?) for Mini owners. I had a 15" one in my last Wolsley Six. 

45 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I've no idea where this is (and neither has the OP) but I love that lamp post. Surely somebody could place it simply from that. 

street light is a GEC Z8435 as seen here :) http://www.simoncornwell.com/lighting/manufact/gec/archive/pl74-18.htm would of orignially ran 250W or 400W medium pressure mercury lamps (MA lamp) but I imagine by the picture was taken it would of probably been running a High pressure mercury lamp (MB lamp)

and the rest of the setup is a CU Avenue 3D column and bracket :) 

very cool stuff on the steering wheel :) do you know how far back does Mountry goes, are they are more recent company or could of it been a period fitment?

another one with funny tax, I have still not figured out what this whole "not taxed for on road use" malarky is about, 

either it is still around or died in the 2000s as I can pull its chassis number :) 

image.thumb.png.c92836ba1cad779efc4fb6a6f99d2d03.png

(also fun thing for me, it was first registered on the 7th of september :mrgreen: )

I know someone who owns an AC Acedes 1940PE (a close to 897PE the 8ft tall one :) ) which shows up with the same "not taxed for on road use" so ill ask them at some point if they know what it means

3 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

This was discussed on here a few years ago...

yeah I have seen that post, but again it never quite got explained

I have seen fairly recently registered vehicles have it, and if it was a Keep alive thing, then id expect to see a LOT more invalid vehicles with it, and of course the DVLA has NOTHING on it that I can see online at least LOL

someone must be trolling me from the past LOL

I was updating my Model 70 records when I realised I had the first 2 digits on KPK71P's chassis number reversed, so I fixed that, and then realised it would of then meant I could of figured out the Unknown Spares car Model 70's registration number but of course  as I previously mentioned the KPK-P happens to be one of the few AC blocks that is unusually short, at only 45 Model 70's in this case so the Unknown Model 70 is not part of this block

by a Block of Model 70's I mean Model 70's that all share the same Registration letters

normally a block of Model 70's is 99 or 199 cars big, after which the next Model 70 would of started with a new set of letters

if anyone has any pictures of any P plate AC Model 70's that are NOT the following blocks : KPC KPK KPL LPL MPD MPH or NPN

please post them here :) (sadly the Unknown Model 70's chassis number falls into a reg block I dont have documented yet, what I can tell is it's between the KPK-P and KPL-P blocks, somewhere between the 10th of October to 28th of October 1975)

I wonder if the seller miss read the chassis number

because looking at my records/info it looks it CAN'T be the chassis number he gave me, as it looks like the chassis number block it was part of ended at the KPK-P, then moving onto the next Chassis number block with the KPL-P block (which also explains why the KPK-P block is unusually short)

now the start of the chassis number I was given, started with C, now I wonder if he meant D instead of C?

if I calculate with D, instead of C, I land on OPH868R, which guess what was last taxed in 2004 which fits nicely with when I know this Unknown Model 70 was withdrawn was withdrawn :)

ill contact the seller again and see what he says :)

so I checked with some other sources *cough*

and indeed as I thought the chassis number cant be what I have been given, so yeah figuring this one is going to be fun, :) (if I was a betting man id say that the C is actually is a D, as calculating things with intentional typos, only substituting the C for a D lands me on a Model 70 that was last taxed roughly when that one was withdrawn)

(indeed I was correct that KPK-P is the last of the C block Model 70's, KPK76P specifically is the last C block Model 70)

I also figured out sort of, if UAR, is UAR977S or UAR978S, (if you check a few pages back I mentioned how I was not sure if that one was 977 or 978) it turns out it's probably UAR978S, but UAR977S was not a typo from where I found that out, (the WPC902M WPC903M thing was a Typo tho LOL it is indeed 902)

looking at things I think there might be a Private Model 70 between UAR975S and UAR978S thats skewed the calculations

so I haved ask a favour of someone to run UAR976S and UAR977S through a proper HPI check, hopefully ill hear back soon on that and see if indeed one of those is a private Model 70 :) (sadly neither survived until 2002ish so I cant personally pull their Chassis numbers to check myself)

it looks like with Private Invacar Model 70's Invacar would just pluck one off the DHSS production line and sell that off privately, and then they just shunted the Chassis numbers, which threw the Number plate and chassis numbers 1 step out of sync from after that Private Model 70 and onwards till the end of that reg block

so it would be like

REG1 REG2 REG3 REG4 REG5 REG6 REG7
1          2         3         P         4          5         6

see how that would skew things? :)

(for those wondering AC did not pick off the DHSS production line like that so to speak, if a private order came in they would build a Model 70 specifically for that order, and it was given a Random Surry or even Non Surry reg like any other private car would be given,. at least so far from what I have seen thats what it looks like!)

so I just went and checked the REV-R block since we obviously know theres a private Model 70 in there and indeed the same thing happens in that block :)

and what I did was find the end of the REV-R block, REV475R, then find a REV-R car before REV451R the private Model 70, whos chassis number I can fetch, in this case, REV402R and then find a REV-R car after REV451R, whos chassis number I can fetch REV469R in this case

now here comes the fun part if we work with REV402R to extrapolate out to REV475Rs chassis number we end up 1 chassis number higher then if we start with REV469R and extrapolate to REV475R

because when doing it from REV402R we end up going "through" REV451R, but REV451R is NOT apart of the same chassis numbers the rest are, despite being part of the same reg block :)

where as if we start from REV469Rs chassis number we are already past REV451R, so the numbers dont get skewed by it

im quite excited about this is, as it gives me a way to detect if a Block of Invacar Model 70's contain any private Model 70s :)

(remember there's no factory records or anything, so finding private Model 70's can be very tricky as they dont follow the same chassis number series/chassis number vs reg rules as DHSS cars)

Interesting! When Bond Equipe GT4S cars were first made in 1964, Sharps Commercials used a set of Herald chassis' from Triumph, each of which had its own Triumph chassis number. These were then used at random to build up the cars. I have a copy of the build records for the first 30 or so made and their build sequence and own commission numbers don't match up with the Triumph chassis numbers in any logical way.

interesting stuff :) im guessing they would of had the chassis all delivered in one big bundle from triumph to sharps on the back of a truck etc, and then sharps just picked chassis at random/whichever was easiest to unload/load into the assembly line hence the scrambling of chassis numbers maybe?

hopefully all of what I said makes sense! its quite thrilling to have finally figured out this sort of thing after hours of hard work and research etc

but trying to explain it/put it into text can often be very frustrating, and I often worry I end up looking like the scene in this meme :mrgreen:

image.thumb.png.9bfb6e0c179a2fc93c4841776314d329.png

On 7/1/2019 at 3:03 PM, LightBulbFun said:

heres a picture of 1Leg and TTW991R in captivity, I have messaged the owner of these 2 cars on Facebook, im hoping ill hear back and be able to figure out the details of 1 Leg :) (I also hear the owner owns about 10 other Invalid vehicles of some kind so im quite excited to find out what those are too :) )  https://www.instagram.com/p/BzLkJ_2Hlr7/

65288764_328042391471816_4770774303437378434_n.thumb.jpg.fd92ca6616a0accc857cb258389f9dd5.jpg

Just spotted what else is lurking in this pic (no, not the MGF). You've found someone else with two Model 70s and a Reliant Fox who isn't Dollywobbler! HubNut has competition...

2 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Just spotted what else is lurking in this pic (no, not the MGF). You've found someone else with two Model 70s and a Reliant Fox who isn't Dollywobbler! HubNut has competition...

Yeah I did notice that :)

speaking of he did go and check the chassis numbers of the 3 Unknown Model 70's but all 3 had some crap covering the chassis number (not too surprising considering its location)

so he will have to go back when he has a bit more free time, armed with a sander

So looking at my Invacar Model 70 Reg/Chassis number list I could tell between JHJ548N and REV451R that there were 15 private Invacar Model 70's made between those 2 private ones

using the new info explained above, I decided to see if any of the registration blocks I have documented between those 2 fall out of sync by 1, indicating that theres a private Model 70 in there somewhere

and well I noticed that it happened to the MHJ-P block, but turns out there's no private Model 70's in that block, but somehow MHJ54P got assigned to a Bedford of some kind!

image.thumb.png.39c8a73fe834c2648ffcbfac90632c6f.png

which would have the same effect of sending the chassis numbers and registration numbers out of sync, like a Private Invacar Model 70 would

this does once more prove that my theory/methods holds up, and it correctly detected that there was a something that was not a DHSS Model 70 in that block somewhere :)

now to do the rest of the blocks I have left in between JHJ548N and REV451R and see if I can come across an actual private invacar Model 70 :)

as a side note heres a Model 70 that died 35 years ago to the day (rather fitting reg number there!)

image.thumb.png.a1c536c18443d5c59c68f6d490aaf37b.png

8 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Sounds like a Bedford TK truck is the interloper.

Oh cool I was wondering if anyone could ID it :) 

I wonder how it ended up in the Middle of an Invacar block, I wonder if Invacar themselfs bought it for some reasons and just slotted it in with the line of Invacars being registered (esp as its blue, Invacar blue I wonder?)

(I now have this picture in my mind of a long line of invacars waiting to be registered and there being a random truck in the middle, "so what disability gets you THAT modification?!" :mrgreen: )

haha yeah :) I have been wondering if it would be possible to present my case, and go "how much would it cost to have a copy of every single record you have on hand by the company Invacar Ltd?"

although if Pre Model 70 Invacar chassis numbers are anything to go by, thats about 100 thousand! invacars LOL

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283540757424

2104100180_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.bf5826c7f8194667a413c64347673fe4.jpg

I do wonder given a Mk12 can do 45Mph flat out, I wonder what these earlier villers machines could do given they dont have a fibreglass body to also lug around  LOL

the most uncanny thing for me is how it looks like there's nothing controlling the front wheel (but you can see a steering rod lower down)

6 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

The disappearance of the ICR Facebook page is hilarious - just because someone asked an awkward question they didn’t like. 

Wonder how they’d react to questions about funding...

yeah, I know they get funding from the National lottery http://www.invalidcarriageregister.org/

I dont think they would be very happy to hear how their money is being used...

if I really wanted to troll them I would tweet "PPC363R" at them :mrgreen:

Just got this from stuart, dont be alarmed by it, its just saying Dont intentionally go out of your way to fuck with the ICR, which I agree with, while I dont agree with how the ICR do things at all, id never do something to intentionally harm them, especially as that would do more harm than good, remember for example they hold all of stuarts documents and id not want to see those lost, (we just trying to nip this in the bud before anyone gets any silly ideas thats all!)

Just a general heads-up whilst've I've got five mins & not directed solely at you but at Autoshite as a whole. I've just had a browse though the last few pages on your topic...    Statement begins. I will state that if any members of Autoshite insist upon waging or continuing any puerile campaigns against the ICR, then I end all communications with any members of Autoshite. Even though I am no longer in any position with the ICR, the ICR is still my "baby" as it were, and I will not stand by to see it attacked by outsiders who either fail or refuse to understand the policies & direction of the current incumbent.  Statement ends. Feel free to quote me directly.

Just did a bit more research into the whole northern ireland Model 70's thing and I think although the XEV-S block stops at 116, I think it was meant to continue to 123, because 117-123 dont show up anything, but 124 is a ford, and if I do some maths XEV123S would be the chassis number that is SOI7570, so I suspect either XEV117-123S where exported to NI, or they where never issued because those 7 where sent to NI when new