2006 Ford Fiesta, Rear wheel bearings replaced..& now ABS light is on.

0ldCh0d

As per title, today I replaced the rear wheel bearings on a 2006, 56 plate Fiesta. I did not have a press, so used the tried & tested socket & extension bar & hammer combination & It worked a treat knocking them out.

Got the new wheel bearings (With new ABS reluctor rings) placed the old bearing on top of the new one & placed a bit of wood over the old one & proceeded to knock the new bearings in (both sides), checked bearings were seated correctly,put the circlip on, built it all back up, take car for test drive & once at 15-20mph the ABS light comes on, which was not on prior to this......Bollocks.

So...My question is....is the wheel bearing magnetic on one side on these? If so..I think I may have installed the bearings the wrong way.

Fuck!!!

After nearly 40 years of repairing cars,trucks and just about anything else I made the mistake of putting a wheel bearing in the wrong way round last week.Had to smash the new one off so ended up doing the job for f-ck all,same symptoms,ABS light on within a few yards and it took me a few hours to find the fault as well,not a good mornings work !!!.

Sometimes for the sake of a few quid it’s easier to farm jobs like this out to a ‘man under the arches’ type outfit. I’ve got 2 days off this week, it’s going to piss it down on both of them. I’ve got a new driveshaft on its way, I’ve give the garage up the road a try he wants £75 to fit it. I’m not going to fuck about in the rain on my hands and knees doing it for that.

Sometimes for the sake of a few quid it’s easier to farm jobs like this out to a ‘man under the arches’ type outfit. I’ve got 2 days off this week, it’s going to piss it down on both of them. I’ve got a new driveshaft on its way, I’ve give the garage up the road a try he wants £75 to fit it. I’m not going to fuck about in the rain on my hands and knees doing it for that.

That's what I think I am going to do, give it to someone I know to sort.

I genuinely did not know about them needing to go in a specific way.

Oh well....everyday is a school day as they say

Top tip for future reference people...check the rear wheel bearings are magnetic on one side BEFORE fitting them.

Thank you all for your replies. Apprieciated.