Mahoosive autojumble cancelled. ..Something different instead. Today ! Page 8

Frogchod

Did the R16 get any compliments at all over there?

To say the car was constantly surrounded by people would simply be stating the truth.

Of the handful R16s on the areal, mine was the oldest and this was actually quite an eye opener.

I just now begin to realise how special the car really is and therefore scrapped all upselling to a TX plans.

This is my car. End of.

Some people checking it over were true enthusiasts and quite knowledgeable.

They volunteered some very useful advice, among other the solution to this well known exhaust issue.

Lovely old Renault. Yes up until the 60's some French cars had the numberplate painted on - a bit of a far cry from our current regulated system.

I'm in France quite a bit...I have never seen a 16 on the road or at a show. My guess is they were all driven into the ground because they were so jolly useful and then when diesel came in bigtime in France the rest were gradually scrapped because of their kpl. Its currently happening with 80's cars - CX and XM numbers are low and they are going the same way. Same with big Renault- again never seen them at shows in any significant numbers...no 80's movement I haved detected amongst enthusiasts except the 2CV and other cultish cars.

Cunty flaps! How the hell did I miss this? I was ACTUALLY IN DIEPPE with 6 hours time to kill on the 16th?!?

Would have been great to pick up some super rare lickable MK1 BX bits, it was my birthday the next day too so could have bought myself a birthday present with no* repercussions or anything.

When I was invited to form a raiding party to plunder foreign shores, I jumped at the chance. I knew the GGG would emerge triumphant in its own shambolic way, but I had no inkling just how sublime the endeavour would eventually turn out. The first catastrophe was, of course, English. Specifically Kent and whatever crackpot dictator operates Highways UK. Probably he is from the rail industry. Anyway, the less said about that the better, except it caused us major delays and just reinforced my opinion how woefully inadequate British infrastructure is.

We arrived far behind schedule at the ferry terminal and made it on board by the skin of our teeth. There was boatshite in evidence.

post-17604-0-06702000-1537298676_thumb.jpg

post-17604-0-31308400-1537298722_thumb.jpg

Soon we were under way on a quiet ferry.

post-17604-0-93157100-1537298629_thumb.jpg

I am not exaggerating when I say our last square meal was enjoyed on the ship.

post-17604-0-62448200-1537298790_thumb.jpg

Because, for the remainder, this is what the rest of our 'meals' resembled, excepting the big hotdogs, which were speedily devoured.

post-17604-0-70748900-1537298162_thumb.jpg

Imagine my surprise, after draining the cup in one gulp and ruminating on the abominable French 'provisions', which can only be described as surpassing even Spanish practices, when a shabby old black Cadillac trundled past. To see these old queens on the road is such a rare delight it gave me all the sustenance I needed.

I see our comrade has made reference to the exhaust pipe, which became very vocal in protest. Stopping to inspect we found two exhaust pipes where there should be one. Some clown had fitted the wrong clamp, and this infernal two-pound part caused us not a little grief.

post-17604-0-83261100-1537298025_thumb.jpg

We did the only sensible thing and pushed on, announcing our presence in every hamlet in the most suitable manner possible for a raiding party, and I suspect not a few Frenchmen were laying cursing in their beds!

The autojumble-cum-show itself was an eye-opener. This was not your piecemeal British affair where you are obliged to arrive at 6 a.m. and by midday everyone is gone, but a remarkably relaxed and easy going event, well planned and totally free of charge to enter. It was also a family affair for many of the vendors, as on some stalls the whole family - grandparents, children, the dog and all - turned out. Prices were agreeable and I was pleased to get a Jielde workbench lamp I had been after for ages. Ghosty made a few purchases, the most notable being the keyrings, but it was Junkman who did really well on the day as he struck gold with parts.

This is how the revolution started:

post-17604-0-22375500-1537298242_thumb.jpg

and it started here.

post-17604-0-34990100-1537298509_thumb.jpg

We tried to start our own revolution but were thwarted when we couldn't get in.

post-17604-0-24710400-1537298577_thumb.jpg

Once we did, the delightfully cosy shabbiness of the hotel was worth the anxiety. The rest, as they say, is history.

I suppose I'll ping up some photos too.

I don't have much to add in terms of the writeup - all I can say is that it was an extremely memorable trip, and I now really, really want a Renault 4.

I'll never forget the 250km A-road blitz to Caen, in the middle of the night, exhaust hanging off, popping on overrun, caning along trying to clip minutes off the ETA at the hotel. It was an experience like nothing else.

The 16 performed admirably, and has completely blown me away. The comfort and performance are incomparable.

30898796388_44239b9ce1_b.jpg

The exhaust failure at least had good lighting.

30898803628_f3f919dc65_b.jpg

Caddy.

30898808008_eff25ef002_b.jpg

30898805208_c2f4f6f400_b.jpg

42959454120_c3ee1cd855_b.jpg

44050883574_68644e6a2e_b.jpg

44050887204_b72c09bbf8_b.jpg

30898813018_87152a4220_b.jpg

44050891494_e901c5e39f_b.jpg

DSs were everywhere.

44050897224_480886b5ae_b.jpg

CX on proper plates.

43860315895_2344ddfd5f_b.jpg

43860318705_cfdfb3a2b4_b.jpg

Hotel room was absolutely amazing.

43860321365_820dc923a0_b.jpg

44769953101_e6f00e8d58_b.jpg

y tho?

Don't forget that they were prime fodder in French stockcar racing and what they refer to as autocross.

Ah yes I'd not thought of that. What said above very few older cars on French roads quite right but plenty squirreled away in barns etc. A lot of village events have a few on show - but everyday motors not so much about except the ubiquitous C15 usually in blanc. 

Ah yes I'd not thought of that.

That, that the newest one of them is 38 years old by now, that they rust for fun and that restoring them only became feasible very recently, if at all.

Also, in Europe (including the UK) there is still very little interest in Baby Boom saloons and there might never be much.

Apart from light lenses, there was suspiciously little else on offer for R16s. There were no panels anywhere, for example.

That makes it even more remarkable that I found those interior parts.

They were the only ones I got on the entire venue and if I'd have needed them in a different colour, I'd have drawn a blank!

That makes the find even more remarkable. What were the chances?

And what were the chances, that they then changed hands for surprisingly little money?

So what exactly are the symptoms of this severe running issue?

Carby is fucked. Always was a bit.

The car was upgraded with a two throat carby setup, presumably from an R15.

It's a Solex EIE for which fuck all is available. In fact, I seem to own the only two of those in existence.

If you ask the guys in the know for help, you always get the same answer. Ditch the Solex and go with Weber.

I have a Weber DIR and most likely will proceed with that one.

I'm also toying with the idea to return the car to its original setup, but for that I would need a fannymould, carby and air cleaner housing.

There are people parting out R16s on Leboncoin, but my OMG languish shills are insufficient to properly contact them.

Also I note that when the GGG say they have an exhaust problem they really mean it.

The GGG doesn't mention niggly issues on the grounds that enough major disasters are usually encountered to fill these pages.

Did you manage to get squire some complete trousers? One presumes he is old enough for them now.

Squires's age is difficult to estimate since it appears to be 17 and 70 at the same time.

Ironically some of the best 70's 80's French cars are owned by PShome.

EFA

I think you play your French abilities down a bit.

She never complained about them. It's only the language I suck at.