New members, introduce yourself here.

Wilko220

Hi all, 

Newly registered but have lurked a bit on and off over the years, and am on a few other sites with the same username.  As far as ownership goes, its generally been VAG stuff - My Granddad used to own a main dealers from the 60s to the eighties, so it was sort of bred into me.  He died last April unfortunately, so am just in the process of sorting his place and 84 years worth of 'tatting' out, including but not limited to 9 cars and a speedboat 😂

I have a load of stuff that I am finding - Cinefilm of the garage, old photos, old advertising stuff etc, and I dont want it to never be seen by anyone else other than us ever again, so I have to admit, its one of the things that has finally pushed me to register, so I can post some of it for other people to see.

At the minute, I am fairly boring/modern in what I am actually using  (a V10 Audi S6 and the Mrs has a Golf R32)- two young kids, running a business and trying to build a house extension steals a stack of my time and I havent gotten around to much in the way of 'fun' stuff for ages.  I do still have my 16 valved mk1 Scirocco though, ready to get back on the road when I do get a minute, and as mentioned above, I (and my brother to be fair) now need to decide what we are keeping out of the ridiculous pile of crap Granddad has left us with!

Nice to 'meet' you all 🙂

18 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Indeed, old tat is very welcome here, looking forward to seeing what you have

Oh dont worry - There is plenty of it 😂

As I say 9 cars/vans/pickups from a 1930 Humber through to a Mk4 Golf (although that has already gone now), a speedboat, 4 trailers (all crap), engines and parts everywhere and that is just the yard - Add a house, a shop and triple garage to that and you have some idea.  We've been clearing it since he died in April!

I will get some of the cinefilm up asap in a dedicated thread (probably once I have 10 posts and the mods dont have to approve each one, as I think they will get bored of just sitting there while I upload each youtube link 😂) as there is some good stuff in there.  I digitised it all in his last few months so he could watch it all again after finding a box of about 50 reels (ranging from footage of his dealership from the 60s onwards, work trips to Wolfsburg and Ingolstadt, family holidays, VW conferences in America etc etc) when looking for something else in his house!

On 1/11/2023 at 9:51 PM, Missy Charm said:

The best bit of the country, then!

Aww, I'm in the South East too, albeit at the other end of the Dartford Tunnel! 

Which end?  (Edit, just saw you said north) I'm at the north end too, but I spend a lot of time back and forwards over the bridge/tunnel, for work. I bloody hate that crossing! 🥲

5 hours ago, Fennec said:

Which end?  (Edit, just saw you said north) I'm at the north end too, but I spend a lot of time back and forwards over the bridge/tunnel, for work. I bloody hate that crossing! 🥲

Hello.  I've never liked the crossing either!  Well that's not fair; I think the tunnel is interesting and very much like the views from the QE2 bridge (albeit they were better when the refineries were still there), but not the traffic.  Really wouldn't to have to use it regularly, but used to cross relatively regularly to see a relation in Kent.  Do you live in Essex, then?  I do, but north rather than south.  

Hi @dan95x and welcome from another VW licker newcomer.  Sounds like your grandfather was a great man and by the looks of it, I own a car that probably has his DNA on somewhere!  I'd be very interested in seeing photos and records of the dealership from the late 70s!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

hi, I suppose I'm like a lot of people and just happened on this forum but it attracted me cos of people fixing cars themselves.

I've had my share of stuff, Civics, Astras, Golfs - and a few different ones like Rover 800 Vitesse (2 litre turbo, fantastic and shite), Punto Grande (small, quick and flawed) which kept me busy.

Currently building a 1500 GT engine for a mate for historic racing - easy to forget the blocks and heads have been around for sixty years now - and interfered with by at least two other goons before me.

6 hours ago, mexico said:

hi, I suppose I'm like a lot of people and just happened on this forum but it attracted me cos of people fixing cars themselves.

I've had my share of stuff, Civics, Astras, Golfs - and a few different ones like Rover 800 Vitesse (2 litre turbo, fantastic and shite), Punto Grande (small, quick and flawed) which kept me busy.

Currently building a 1500 GT engine for a mate for historic racing - easy to forget the blocks and heads have been around for sixty years now - and interfered with by at least two other goons before me.

welcome along