New members, introduce yourself here.

Wilko220

Hi all, 

Newly registered but have lurked a bit on and off over the years, and am on a few other sites with the same username.  As far as ownership goes, its generally been VAG stuff - My Granddad used to own a main dealers from the 60s to the eighties, so it was sort of bred into me.  He died last April unfortunately, so am just in the process of sorting his place and 84 years worth of 'tatting' out, including but not limited to 9 cars and a speedboat 😂

I have a load of stuff that I am finding - Cinefilm of the garage, old photos, old advertising stuff etc, and I dont want it to never be seen by anyone else other than us ever again, so I have to admit, its one of the things that has finally pushed me to register, so I can post some of it for other people to see.

At the minute, I am fairly boring/modern in what I am actually using  (a V10 Audi S6 and the Mrs has a Golf R32)- two young kids, running a business and trying to build a house extension steals a stack of my time and I havent gotten around to much in the way of 'fun' stuff for ages.  I do still have my 16 valved mk1 Scirocco though, ready to get back on the road when I do get a minute, and as mentioned above, I (and my brother to be fair) now need to decide what we are keeping out of the ridiculous pile of crap Granddad has left us with!

Nice to 'meet' you all 🙂

18 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Indeed, old tat is very welcome here, looking forward to seeing what you have

Oh dont worry - There is plenty of it 😂

As I say 9 cars/vans/pickups from a 1930 Humber through to a Mk4 Golf (although that has already gone now), a speedboat, 4 trailers (all crap), engines and parts everywhere and that is just the yard - Add a house, a shop and triple garage to that and you have some idea.  We've been clearing it since he died in April!

I will get some of the cinefilm up asap in a dedicated thread (probably once I have 10 posts and the mods dont have to approve each one, as I think they will get bored of just sitting there while I upload each youtube link 😂) as there is some good stuff in there.  I digitised it all in his last few months so he could watch it all again after finding a box of about 50 reels (ranging from footage of his dealership from the 60s onwards, work trips to Wolfsburg and Ingolstadt, family holidays, VW conferences in America etc etc) when looking for something else in his house!

On 1/11/2023 at 9:51 PM, Missy Charm said:

The best bit of the country, then!

Aww, I'm in the South East too, albeit at the other end of the Dartford Tunnel! 

Which end?  (Edit, just saw you said north) I'm at the north end too, but I spend a lot of time back and forwards over the bridge/tunnel, for work. I bloody hate that crossing! 🥲

5 hours ago, Fennec said:

Which end?  (Edit, just saw you said north) I'm at the north end too, but I spend a lot of time back and forwards over the bridge/tunnel, for work. I bloody hate that crossing! 🥲

Hello.  I've never liked the crossing either!  Well that's not fair; I think the tunnel is interesting and very much like the views from the QE2 bridge (albeit they were better when the refineries were still there), but not the traffic.  Really wouldn't to have to use it regularly, but used to cross relatively regularly to see a relation in Kent.  Do you live in Essex, then?  I do, but north rather than south.  

Hi @dan95x and welcome from another VW licker newcomer.  Sounds like your grandfather was a great man and by the looks of it, I own a car that probably has his DNA on somewhere!  I'd be very interested in seeing photos and records of the dealership from the late 70s!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

hi, I suppose I'm like a lot of people and just happened on this forum but it attracted me cos of people fixing cars themselves.

I've had my share of stuff, Civics, Astras, Golfs - and a few different ones like Rover 800 Vitesse (2 litre turbo, fantastic and shite), Punto Grande (small, quick and flawed) which kept me busy.

Currently building a 1500 GT engine for a mate for historic racing - easy to forget the blocks and heads have been around for sixty years now - and interfered with by at least two other goons before me.

6 hours ago, mexico said:

hi, I suppose I'm like a lot of people and just happened on this forum but it attracted me cos of people fixing cars themselves.

I've had my share of stuff, Civics, Astras, Golfs - and a few different ones like Rover 800 Vitesse (2 litre turbo, fantastic and shite), Punto Grande (small, quick and flawed) which kept me busy.

Currently building a 1500 GT engine for a mate for historic racing - easy to forget the blocks and heads have been around for sixty years now - and interfered with by at least two other goons before me.

welcome along

Not a new member, more of a new-old member but having not posted here in years I thought I would reintroduce myself and say hello. My profile reminds me that in a few short days it is will be 10 years since I joined - how time flies! Not sure why I dropped off... life, kids, work and not much to report in the way of chod adventures but most probably because of a change of jobs several years ago, which brought to an end those glory days where my office set up allowed me to sit, unobserved drinking tea by the gallon whilst scouring eBay for the best chod available and spending a large chunk of my day on here. Great times! A 'proper' job has long since put a stop to that.

Anyway, what did I miss in the past 5 years or so? Is Tapatalk still a thing? Never got on very well with it. Forums are best enjoyed on a proper computer rather than a phone, IMO.

I do not have much to report on the chod front. The old Range Rover went years ago 😪 when the sills got to the point of being flakier than a Greggs sausage roll, but I was pleased to see it given a total overhaul and back on the road last year. An old 5-series estate  came and went, not before TWO cracked manifolds did their best to poison me, however, my old Saab is turning 15 this year and has needed regular fettling to keep it running well and I have enjoyed doing a bit of spannering again recently. Looking out for a project to work on with my eldest, who seems to have the car bug too!

Finally, I noticed that several of my old chod spotting photos on here still seem to be alive and links working to where they are hosted on Photobucket, which I was amazed by. Have not used Photobucket in years but if anyone knows how and why they are still working, I'd love to know.

3 hours ago, Brent_Crude said:

Not a new member, more of a new-old member but having not posted here in years I thought I would reintroduce myself and say hello. My profile reminds me that in a few short days it is will be 10 years since I joined - how time flies! Not sure why I dropped off... life, kids, work and not much to report in the way of chod adventures but most probably because of a change of jobs several years ago, which brought to an end those glory days where my office set up allowed me to sit, unobserved drinking tea by the gallon whilst scouring eBay for the best chod available and spending a large chunk of my day on here. Great times! A 'proper' job has long since put a stop to that.

Anyway, what did I miss in the past 5 years or so? Is Tapatalk still a thing? Never got on very well with it. Forums are best enjoyed on a proper computer rather than a phone, IMO.

I do not have much to report on the chod front. The old Range Rover went years ago 😪 when the sills got to the point of being flakier than a Greggs sausage roll, but I was pleased to see it given a total overhaul and back on the road last year. An old 5-series estate  came and went, not before TWO cracked manifolds did their best to poison me, however, my old Saab is turning 15 this year and has needed regular fettling to keep it running well and I have enjoyed doing a bit of spannering again recently. Looking out for a project to work on with my eldest, who seems to have the car bug too!

Finally, I noticed that several of my old chod spotting photos on here still seem to be alive and links working to where they are hosted on Photobucket, which I was amazed by. Have not used Photobucket in years but if anyone knows how and why they are still working, I'd love to know.

blimey i looked at ur user picture and thought not seen that in a while,  welcome back

New member - recommended by my brother.

Currently driving an IS300 sportcross 2002 - unfortunately rear ended a car in a horse related incident and now looking at either selling or repairing, was in half a mind to sell anyway as I'm doing more miles and the 3L 2JZ is rather thirsty but also looking at buying a house and no car I can afford really tickles me at the moment so was in half a mind to keep it and wait.

However now with the knock and bumper hanging off I'm waiting for a review by a mechanic to see how expensive it could be to get it driveable again.

So hello everyone, I may be buying some shite from you soon! I have a history of shite so far, mk2 mx5s, 2002 polos and a hodge podge 2006 cooper S with a rebuilt engine.

15 hours ago, vibies said:

Currently driving an IS300 sportcross 2002 - unfortunately rear ended a car in a horse related incident and now looking at either selling or repairing, was in half a mind to sell anyway as I'm doing more miles and the 3L 2JZ is rather thirsty but also looking at buying a house and no car I can afford really tickles me at the moment so was in half a mind to keep it and wait.

However now with the knock and bumper hanging off I'm waiting for a review by a mechanic to see how expensive it could be to get it driveable again.

So hello everyone, I may be buying some shite from you soon! I have a history of shite so far, mk2 mx5s, 2002 polos and a hodge podge 2006 cooper S with a rebuilt engine.

Welcome to the forum, you will fit in well. 

22 hours ago, vibies said:

welcome along vibies

Long time lurker, but serial shite car botherer. I haven't really posted anything, I'm not much of a social media user, I don't remember to take photo's, I don't fix my own stuff and I often don't think I have anything to add so I prefer to stay quiet.

Current vehicles are MGF which I quite like, '07 Bini Cooper which I detest and when I get round to it will sell on, I'd like to sell here if I can get into the 4Sail section otherwise i'll scrap it because I hate buyers more than I hate Bini's. SE6A Scimitar, which isn't pictured, because I've not seen it since 2019 i'm sure it's fine, I've had it about 15 years. Mercedes for MrsDovershark because I must have at least one Mercedes on fleet at all times. Then there's the electric Hyundai which does what it does. In addition a recently required Citroen Saxo (Automatic) which I acquired 2 weeks  ago and haven't even opened it's door yet. 

The Saxo has been acquired for LEJOG as the trip is a buck list item for a friend and colleague who at 44 has been diagnosed with MND. I hope to make a thread on this in the near future (The trip, not MND)

I have always had either an unloved or strange vehicle that is trapped in a triangle between scrap+ non classic status+ value. Highlights, 3.0 Senator,pink Alfa Romeo, Rovers, Renault traffic Luton box van... Recent vehicles have included W211 E320 which just went everywhere all the time at no cost, R-class which didn't, strangely reliable XM full of dog hair and an S500 rescued from the scrap man with a £5 piece of plastic from Amazon which, incidentally sold to you-tuber No27 not that I had any idea at the time.

Although my family have a line of mechanics and engineers, and even though my father owned a garage and I was an apprentice, I don't fix anything myself if I can help it but do have a tame mechanic.

Future chod plans are on hold as the street outside my house is currently full. However, we all say that right?

Thanks for a great forum and the material posted in it. 

image.png

Edited by DoverShark
Poor spellingz

3 hours ago, Remspoor said:

I think Princess Anne has it now. Rumour she has one😁

There is a little known section of The Treason Act 1351 that’s states; if one doth not lay one’s eyes on one’s Scimitar for a period greater than 36 months, then it becomes the property of Princess Anne.

Incidentally she is the only person legally entitled to eat one as a side dish to swan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 7:40 PM, DoverShark said:

There is a little known section of The Treason Act 1351 that’s states; if one doth not lay one’s eyes on one’s Scimitar for a period greater than 36 months, then it becomes the property of Princess Anne.

Incidentally she is the only person legally entitled to eat one as a side dish to swan.

This needs to be added to the Automotive Bullshit thread.  Absolute Gold!