New members, introduce yourself here.

Wilko220

20 minutes ago, wheel nut said:

Hello all,

Another long time lurker here. My daily drivers are a 2014 Dacia Logan and a 2019 Mini clubman, but my best claim to autoshite status is my 1962 Land Rover 88 which I’ve owned for 9 years now. I’m in Fife, Scotland.

B6E17887-654E-499A-9615-9E8A4D758CB5.jpeg

Greetings that's one chodtastic Land Rover there

On 20/06/2022 at 08:18, GagaStan said:

Greetings all! Time enough to get in on the action I thought.

Joining you from the antipodes, the land of the Japanese grey import, Aotearoa New Zealand!

Current fleet includes an ex-giffer 405 SRDT 

IMG_7286.thumb.jpg.56d105e5f7be1e3452efa807d0c898de.jpg

An ex-Japan Starlet, with such spec ~choices~ as A/C, leccy windows all round but a four speed manual

IMG_7390.thumb.jpg.44e357c72b814b8fcd9ad5f82184fd9f.jpg 

Both shared my me and the other Mr GagaStan. Also present is a TGB 101s moped for commuting purposes. 

IMG_7426.thumb.jpg.89ff1d4e7da895fa8bc0ad9b03322c6b.jpg

Plenty of other motors of varying quality had in the past, with a strong whiff of three-cylinder motoring. I don't think there's much that sounds better than a Suzuki Alto with a very mildly broken exhaust... especially when it needed thrashing to get up all the hills 'round here!

I'm also a small-time licker of Kirby vacuums and Kenwood mixers.

Love reading about all your escapades, chodspeed!

Hello! Oooh what Kirbys have you got? 

I recently completed a Heritage 1 Bitsa project! 

20220628_145421.thumb.jpg.2bc25172f372e7fa1c700d1e258151a5.jpg

Greetings all, I've been dipping my toe into classic/shite ownership for the last couple of years with a mix of bikes and cars.

Sadly my Mk1 Octavia VRS had too many things go wrong with it, I grew out of biking and now that I have a child on the way the MGF has had its marching orders.

I'm still holding out for something old and interesting that is family friendly!

On 7/3/2022 at 11:56 PM, beko1987 said:

Oooh what Kirbys have you got? 

Hello hello! I have but one Kirby, a Legend 2. Best colour scheme EVAR. I'm quite new to the Kirby world, but I had seen one for sale cheaply near me and decided I'd get amongst. It's a TANK and probably excessive for our 1 bed flat, but I enjoy thrumming it round the carpets all the same! 

IMG_7428.thumb.jpg.ae347c0d602a7bd8b48c214c588e607e.jpg

Your Heritage 1 is looking very lovely, I have to say...

• 4 weeks later...

After being treated to coffee and shortbread by @Six-cylinderand his wonderful wife, and a side issue of buying a car from him, I was encouraged to introduce myself. 
Matt from Essex, 45yo and have been driving my entire adult life. Owned many cars but only really been “autoshiting” for about 10. Firstly it was out of necessity, newly married with a new house, plus having dogs and horses meant every car we used was filthy within days and driven up and down scratchy country lanes and farmyards. If I can, I tend to stick to Volvos, Estates if I can, 90s cars if I can. I’ve owned “most” Volvos from the late 80s-mid 00s and certain models I’ve had several of. T5s were my favourite before they became silly money and now I tend to have D5s for MPG. Having said that, I’ve owned all sorts as well as Volvos, French, German, Italian, Far Eastern. If it’s cheap I’ll consider it. I’m a amateur spanner monkey, will give most DIY jobs a go with varying levels of success.  Like most on here I think, I love buying cars but hate selling them, so much hassle. Currently the fleet is very thin as we’ve just bought a house so my wife drives a 55 plate 320cd bought for £270 and I drive the Peugeot 306 cabriolet bought from @Six-cylinder .. it’s a lovely little car that saved me from a nightmare, but it can’t fit many bales of hay in! So I’m looking for a larger partner for it .. 

Hope to be a mildly active user of the forum.

Cheers 

Matt 

1 hour ago, Shortos said:

After being treated to coffee and shortbread by @Six-cylinderand his wonderful wife, and a side issue of buying a car from him, I was encouraged to introduce myself. 
Matt from Essex, 45yo and have been driving my entire adult life. Owned many cars but only really been “autoshiting” for about 10. Firstly it was out of necessity, newly married with a new house, plus having dogs and horses meant every car we used was filthy within days and driven up and down scratchy country lanes and farmyards. If I can, I tend to stick to Volvos, Estates if I can, 90s cars if I can. I’ve owned “most” Volvos from the late 80s-mid 00s and certain models I’ve had several of. T5s were my favourite before they became silly money and now I tend to have D5s for MPG. Having said that, I’ve owned all sorts as well as Volvos, French, German, Italian, Far Eastern. If it’s cheap I’ll consider it. I’m a amateur spanner monkey, will give most DIY jobs a go with varying levels of success.  Like most on here I think, I love buying cars but hate selling them, so much hassle. Currently the fleet is very thin as we’ve just bought a house so my wife drives a 55 plate 320cd bought for £270 and I drive the Peugeot 306 cabriolet bought from @Six-cylinder .. it’s a lovely little car that saved me from a nightmare, but it can’t fit many bales of hay in! So I’m looking for a larger partner for it .. 

Cheers 

Matt 

Greetings you will fit in well 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I have posted in this thread before, although I have racked up an impressive 9 posts since 2017!

I'm a Saab guy mainly and as they slip into the remit of this forum (and as I have previously owned such amazing tat as a Fiat Panda 750, Vauxhall Nova, Nissan Sunny Hatchback and a Freelander) I think I should probably lurk less and post more!

So, hi!

Rob

2 hours ago, TwyRob said:

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I have posted in this thread before, although I have racked up an impressive 9 posts since 2017!

I'm a Saab guy mainly and as they slip into the remit of this forum (and as I have previously owned such amazing tat as a Fiat Panda 750, Vauxhall Nova, Nissan Sunny Hatchback and a Freelander) I think I should probably lurk less and post more!

So, hi!

Rob

welcome , time to increase the post count

On 8/1/2022 at 2:39 PM, Shortos said:

I’m hoping the pics are on here.. just a small flavour of some of the Volvos I’ve had..

the pick up was a drunken eBay purchase which i sold on almost immediately. It was very cool but awfully executed and near impossible to insure properly. 
Metro was my first car 😂

1DB482FC-C556-492B-AADD-799CEAEB6F16.jpeg

434BD887-871D-42CB-9641-3F5A5824ED2A.jpeg

EE79B417-D24E-4E08-A1D7-9128F0112A0D.jpeg

BA7D71B7-EA24-4741-8FD0-8DEA80F667D3.jpeg

45B13A6D-0951-4C65-A368-3DE742C14919.jpeg

Welcome! Nice selection of Ovlovs.  We had a V40 identical but grey. Now have a D5 V70 but looking to move it on. Would happily only own Volvos from now on, there’s something about them I like!

7 hours ago, inconsistant said:

Welcome! Nice selection of Ovlovs.  We had a V40 identical but grey. Now have a D5 V70 but looking to move it on. Would happily only own Volvos from now on, there’s something about them I like!

This was my most recent V70 ph2 .. Volvos are just uncomplicated in terms of image and style. Useful, well made cars. I have a great interest in Scandinavia and Norse history and mythology which I imagine helps too ;)  Sadly that one was scrapped by the next owner after he drove it through deep water.. 

CB05A2C5-A36E-43AE-B115-1824F59A512C.jpeg

15 hours ago, TwyRob said:

Hi all,

So, hi!

Rob

Welcome Rob, there are a few familiar faces on here!

49 minutes ago, Nyphur said:

I think I met you very briefly at a UK SAABS meet, when I had my 9-5 Aero. These are the only pics I have, and I can't remember where it was either, so that's helpful!

IMG_20190623_145031872_HDR.thumb.jpg.3ee2e06589d877e5b785dce5125d0465.jpg

IMG_20190623_145109130.thumb.jpg.fde37a9f7ff1f44301f7ce9691359487.jpg

Hi!

Yes indeed you did.  Mine was the electric blue one at the time. The group still meets (in Petersfield this weekend,  although I can't go).  The photos above are at the Departure Lounge near Alton Hants.

:)

Rob

On 01/08/2022 at 14:35, Shortos said:

Cheers 

Matt 

You could probably stack and strap 5 with the roof down before it becomes concerning 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my name is Tom, and I am sure I have come across some of the members here in different platforms, but this is the first time I'm online with a Lada name! (And yes I am aware the car I have in my avatar is a 2112 not a 2110 before I get quizzed on that! I just chose the family name instead). Most of my cars are probably of little interest to the community here except maybe the Lada in my avatar picture and posted below.  That said I am a HUGE fan of the unloved cars we don't get to see much of these days, and anything not sold here in the UK.

There is a story to the Lada, and one that I will be happy to elaborate on if there is enough interest, but the idea was to get the car registered in the UK. It is a 2004 Lada 112 with a 1.5 engine (which mechanically is in good shape aside from the coolant pipe - which has Audi rings on it! - that recently burst). I was hoping to have it registered in the UK as possibly(?) the only 112 in the UK, having talked to several members of the UK Lada club they are unaware of a 112 being imported, with only a handful of the saloon 110 models being privately imported over the years. However being an Estonian car there is a lot of rot on the chassis which needs to be fixed before passing an MOT which is beyond my capabilities and the quote from the local bodyshop was several times more than the value of the car, so it is probably going to end up going to the scrap yard now having been involved in a dispute with the neighbours (despite their outlandish claims, it has actually got correct paperwork! Oh and they called it an "eye sore" 😒) if I am unable to find a solution to the chassis, but this one has a strangely lovely yet awful charm and I've grown quite attached to it which is why I am reluctant to let it go.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to ask in my intro if anyone has any ideas but if not please delete this line!

Anyway, so this is the car I'm using for my intro but unless I can find some magic it will be replaced with something equally daft one day. The previous keeper nicknamed it "Olga"...

+ before anyone panics, the car is kept on private land where there is a lot of space for it to be moved and kept running until I know what I am doing with it.

forum1.thumb.jpg.e2d3e64157dcb7daf39b6bfe915e3844.jpg

forum2.jpg

forum3.jpg

forum4.JPG

forum5.jpg

2 hours ago, 2110 said:

Hi my name is Tom, and I am sure I have come across some of the members here in different platforms, but this is the first time I'm online with a Lada name! (And yes I am aware the car I have in my avatar is a 2112 not a 2110 before I get quizzed on that! I just chose the family name instead). Most of my cars are probably of little interest to the community here except maybe the Lada in my avatar picture and posted below.  That said I am a HUGE fan of the unloved cars we don't get to see much of these days, and anything not sold here in the UK.

There is a story to the Lada, and one that I will be happy to elaborate on if there is enough interest, but the idea was to get the car registered in the UK. It is a 2004 Lada 112 with a 1.5 engine (which mechanically is in good shape aside from the coolant pipe - which has Audi rings on it! - that recently burst). I was hoping to have it registered in the UK as possibly(?) the only 112 in the UK, having talked to several members of the UK Lada club they are unaware of a 112 being imported, with only a handful of the saloon 110 models being privately imported over the years. However being an Estonian car there is a lot of rot on the chassis which needs to be fixed before passing an MOT which is beyond my capabilities and the quote from the local bodyshop was several times more than the value of the car, so it is probably going to end up going to the scrap yard now having been involved in a dispute with the neighbours (despite their outlandish claims, it has actually got correct paperwork! Oh and they called it an "eye sore" 😒) if I am unable to find a solution to the chassis, but this one has a strangely lovely yet awful charm and I've grown quite attached to it which is why I am reluctant to let it go.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to ask in my intro if anyone has any ideas but if not please delete this line!

Anyway, so this is the car I'm using for my intro but unless I can find some magic it will be replaced with something equally daft one day. The previous keeper nicknamed it "Olga"...

+ before anyone panics, the car is kept on private land where there is a lot of space for it to be moved and kept running until I know what I am doing with it.

forum2.jpg

forum3.jpg

forum4.JPG

forum5.jpg

welcome aboard, and thats looking worth saving as its unique

2 hours ago, stuboy said:

welcome aboard, and thats looking worth saving as its unique

Thanks! I would love to if I can find a way to sort the welding without taking a loan out!

Even after it arrived I had quite a lot of interest from people in the car, genuinely interested in what it was - and from the front I was impressed how many many people could identify it as a Lada, or mostly "is it a Lada?" considering the brand hasn't been sold here since 1997!

12 hours ago, 2110 said:

forum2.jpg

forum3.jpg

forum4.JPG

forum5.jpg

Welcome! What a superbly interesting car! This is  proper piece of Autoshite right here.

Have you tried a back street welding type place rather than a body shop? Or any mobile welders in your local area? 

9 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Welcome! What a superbly interesting car! This is  proper piece of Autoshite right here.

Have you tried a back street welding type place rather than a body shop? Or any mobile welders in your local area? 

Thanks! And yes, yes it is absolute Autoshite and that's why I love it so much 😁 

Trouble is I live in the Surrey Hills area and there isn't much of back-street anything out here unless you want farms or woodland. We are pretty out of luck when it comes to car maintenance for the unusual, my American imports have suffered through the same issues. The towns tend to be wildly over-priced because, well, it's Surrey 🙄 . I'm close to West Sussex so I could probably start looking around there, most things seem to be more affordable "across the border". As for a mobile welder to be honest it's a bit more than a touch up needed, the frame has quite a lot of work to be done - and if it was just a Fiesta or Astra I would let it go already but considering what it is I would really love to try keep it going! That said I am happy to travel to get the work done (within reason, I have to be aware there is a cost>car value ratio!).

Also, I notice your signature mentions a Yugo 45A, is there anywhere I would be able to see some details on that car?! Haven't seen a Yugo since I took a road trip down to Croatia in 2014!

8 hours ago, 2110 said:

I would love to if I can find a way to sort the welding without taking a loan out!

Welcome! You might pop up an enquiry in the 'Ask a Shiter' section of this forum. It may be that someone on here knows a decent welder in your local area or could even do the work for you at an agreeable rate. Alternatively, buy yourself a MIG welder and have a go yourself. Others on here have done just that, with good results.