New members, introduce yourself here.

Wilko220

Hello! Been lurking for a while, I think Schaefft first mentioned here a few years ago, but I only just got around to signing up. My car history is mostly early 2000s Japanese tat, with the exception of a Polo that I'd prefer not to talk about. My daily driver is a 2005 MR2 Roadster as seen interloping at  FOTU, and seen here next to something much nicer.

IMG_9604.thumb.jpeg.7670f49e7a0a48c810fc5e8891b18df3.jpegIMG_8796.thumb.jpeg.9111830e4647751f397c6fe710222e6b.jpeg

I've had this one for a year, with many trips planned, but FOTU was the first major trip out instead of just running about locally.  Not my first MR2, I did have a 2002 model before this one that had everything wrong with it. This one is  currently standard, but as it's both drinking and leaking oil from every orifice I have a 2ZZ conversion in the works with an engine from a ratty Corolla 190. Bought as a complete car that the 'clutch slightly slipping' which as it was gumtree meant that getting to 40mph is an achievement.  As it still had a ticket for a few months I swapped a new clutch in- the slippage was caused by a pressure plate spring exploding- and ran it until the MOT was out to check it out. Sold some parts from that so I'm in to it for very little. For peace of mind I stripped the engine down and it's now at the stage of having the bottom end back together. The weekend project is to get the valve stem seals changed and it mostly reassembled. Needs to be finished for a potential Alps Roadtrip in two months. 

The second car is one of several Ignis Sports I've had. This one used to belong to my grandmother, who gave up driving a couple of years ago. - I tried to sell it, but got fed up of being messed around. It's not used all that much but I do enjoy driving it when I do.   It's also done a  couple of Targa Rallies in a very amateur fashion . 

119510276_3152272934899022_8779620704372890640_o.thumb.jpg.e7362701f5d5bbedf1b4d57e686004eb.jpg

The major project is a Metro, but not the one which most people think of. It's a 1959 International Metro Mite, which I'm in the very slow process of getting on the road. Much smaller than it appears and surprisingly has a BL link. The original engine was a 1.5l B Series with a manual gearbox,  even at the time was regarded as underpowered. This was dropped after a couple of years and replaced by the international 6 cylinder. It's all parts bin, the rear axle is from a Willys Jeep. Leaf springs all round. This one had already been imported,  but I tracked down where it had been sold in the states, which was from a collectibles shop in Montana.  They are thin on the ground over there, the importer of this one has brought another over and I know of one in the Netherlands. 

IMG_0731.thumb.JPG.7062b4534ce987378d595c6d4cd15470.JPG

The engine was seized, and given the reputation of underpower I went a different route. For simplicity of shifting (due to the engine position by  your feet) I wanted a simple, reliable, fairly compact setup with good aftermarket support. 

IMG_3140(1).thumb.JPG.e9a45a764912fc18e3317641425651a8.JPG

Yes, this is a silly idea. It's a mildly rotten Eunos that a local breaker had. Off the road for a several  years and nobody wants an auto. Only 60000 miles and ran like a dream. I've made some progress on the body, clearing off old underseal and epoxy coating underneath, but got pretty bored of that so it ended up sitting for a long time. The engine and gearbox are mounted in and fit well, next task is probably build the loom to get things running. The body is mostly straight and rust free but does need  repair in places, the small patches I can tackle, the large panel that had an inch of filler coverings all the dents, not so much. Some people will be annoyed that the patina will be going, but it was bought for a purpose and will be a working vehicle. Needs to be done for next summer, so I must make some progress once the MR2 is done!

4 hours ago, Andy247 said:

Hi Newby to the site . I have 2 austin princess that I am currently refurbishing.  Thought I might find like minded people on here

Welcome! There's lots of love for Princesses here. Look forward to seeing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Saying hello as just posted an abandoned BX 4x4 I spotted in a Youtube video on the abandoned car thread. Long time lurker and current car collection is fairly arguably not that Autoshite, but bear with me. Current vehicles are 2017 Mini, 2005 Merc SLK55, 2004 Jeep GC V8, 1999 Lotus Elise and 1972 Elan +2.

Early car history in the mid '80s was a much more AS collection '76 Mk1 Honda Civic, '80 Peugeot 305SR, '85 Citroen Visa 17D. Regularly drove my dad's Volvo 244 Estate and '83 Beige Citroen BX 19RD and later '85 Grey BX19RD estate. Enjoying ritchykitchy's red BX tales, partly because that car would have been bought new around the same time as my Dad's beige BX (A111XCY) and from the same dealer (Bassetts in Swansea).

Back to lurksville...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks - I recently discovered this webshite via a veiled reference on another forum and am looking forward to having a sniff around.

Currently have a magnum grey 2001 Ford Puma Thunder which I love, but due to a backlog of tip runs and an impending house move, I'll be changing it in the next few months for something shitely bigger. 

18 hours ago, Dan29 said:

Hello folks - I recently discovered this webshite via a veiled reference on another forum and am looking forward to having a sniff around.

Currently have a magnum grey 2001 Ford Puma Thunder which I love, but due to a backlog of tip runs and an impending house move, I'll be changing it in the next few months for something shitely bigger. 

welcome dan

On 30/08/2021 at 14:26, Dan29 said:

Bigger? Pumas are huge with the back seats down! Remove the front passenger one and their even bigger! 

You'd be amazed at the size of tip run you could get in one, my old one swallowed amazingly huge things! (nothing practically sized like furniture though unless it came apart)

Welcome 😊

Hi everyone! I'm TMartin.

It's my understanding that, while members come from all across the globe, this is a primarily European forum. That's great, because I'm primarily looking for advice on how terrible an idea it'd be to import a Reliant Robin/Regal to the states. See, I have a garage and a half, and want a fun little project car. Beetles are safe options, and Fiat 500s are remarkably expensive.

Oh, the car taking up most of the space is technically European: a 2012 Acura TSX Sportwagon, or as it's known in Europe, a Honda Accord Tourer.

Someone from https://opposite-lock.com/ sent me, so now I'm your problem too!

Hi all! I'm D.E, inhabitant of a rather small country and owner of various shite! I saw this site being mentioned on Flickr and Youtube and thought it looked like a fun place, so here I am!

Anyway, I think an quick introduction of the current fleet is in order. Chronologically:

My first car, bought in 2009. A 1.2 S with SR bodykit and wheels, and various time correct stuff from Hella (spoiler, grille with high beams, cassette rack). Served me well for over six years, but then failed inspection due to a crusty driver footwell. Started welding, discovered more rust. Decided that it was time for some serious restoration work, and accumulated lots of parts over the years needed for this.

Current status: in the back of the garage. Will still run, will still drive, but still needs lots of work. Progresses slowly.

51120476435_281a6da163_z.jpg

I like Kadetts, what is better than one Kadett? Two Kadetts! It was in 2011 that I started to actively search for a second one. Missed out on a rare poverty spec 1.0 S, then this 1.3 S automatic showed up in an advert a couple of weeks later. 

Current status: is fine, just as it always has been in the past ten years. It's inspection time for this one right about now actually, but I want to do some small non-inspection related work on it first, and the garage owner who is usually doing the inspections on my cars is currently on vacation anyway.

51315714951_ec2d13a605_z.jpg

I was feeling very brave in 2016, and decided that I needed something different. Something bigger, something faster! A Calibra, maybe? Couldn't find one within my budget that wasn't rotted, or formerly owned by someone who watched too many The Fast & The Furious movies (or both). Bidded on a Capri, but even if it's just a 1.6 that needs recommissioning they tend to sell for a lot nowadays, it seems. A Hyundai Coupe? Test drove one, certainly not a bad car but it just didn't gave me that "I really need one in my life!" feeling. It's probably a couple of years too modern for me. Then this showed up nearby. Volvo 480 2.0, with faded paint and a missing piece of glass at the front. But hey, it was the cheapest driveable 480 in the country at that moment so I cannot really complain about details like that, right? With some polishing the pink became red again, and a replacement for the missing glass was easily found. This is a surprisingly good car and in 2018 I used it quite regularly.

Current status: is OK, but at the moment I am trying to solve several of the typical 480 shenanigans (wonky instrument cluster and lights being some of them).

51118238545_88836231e8_z.jpg

People with eyes may have noticed that there is another voiture in the photo above. Do any of you have the habit of scrolling the online listings daily although you aren't actively searching for another car? Probably. It was during one of these moments that, one year ago, I came across this 205 1.4 GR. For sale just a couple of streets from here. Recently passed inspection, has to go asap, 140 euros and take it away! Yeah, I couldn't resist that.

Current status: daily-ish car.

51297960146_0457bd5f21_z.jpg

So, this is the situation as it is at the moment. A fifth car is probably inevitable eventually, but first I need to find me some more storage space:)

1 hour ago, D.E said:

Hi all! I'm D.E, inhabitant of a rather small country and owner of various shite! I saw this site being mentioned on Flickr and Youtube and thought it looked like a fun place, so here I am!

Anyway, I think an quick introduction of the current fleet is in order. Chronologically:

My first car, bought in 2009. A 1.2 S with SR bodykit and wheels, and various time correct stuff from Hella (spoiler, grille with high beams, cassette rack). Served me well for over six years, but then failed inspection due to a crusty driver footwell. Started welding, discovered more rust. Decided that it was time for some serious restoration work, and accumulated lots of parts over the years needed for this.

Current status: in the back of the garage. Will still run, will still drive, but still needs lots of work. Progresses slowly.

51120476435_281a6da163_z.jpg

I like Kadetts, what is better than one Kadett? Two Kadetts! It was in 2011 that I started to actively search for a second one. Missed out on a rare poverty spec 1.0 S, then this 1.3 S automatic showed up in an advert a couple of weeks later. 

Current status: is fine, just as it always has been in the past ten years. It's inspection time for this one right about now actually, but I want to do some small non-inspection related work on it first, and the garage owner who is usually doing the inspections on my cars is currently on vacation anyway.

51315714951_ec2d13a605_z.jpg

I was feeling very brave in 2016, and decided that I needed something different. Something bigger, something faster! A Calibra, maybe? Couldn't find one within my budget that wasn't rotted, or formerly owned by someone who watched too many The Fast & The Furious movies (or both). Bidded on a Capri, but even if it's just a 1.6 that needs recommissioning they tend to sell for a lot nowadays, it seems. A Hyundai Coupe? Test drove one, certainly not a bad car but it just didn't gave me that "I really need one in my life!" feeling. It's probably a couple of years too modern for me. Then this showed up nearby. Volvo 480 2.0, with faded paint and a missing piece of glass at the front. But hey, it was the cheapest driveable 480 in the country at that moment so I cannot really complain about details like that, right? With some polishing the pink became red again, and a replacement for the missing glass was easily found. This is a surprisingly good car and in 2018 I used it quite regularly.

Current status: is OK, but at the moment I am trying to solve several of the typical 480 shenanigans (wonky instrument cluster and lights being some of them).

51118238545_88836231e8_z.jpg

People with eyes may have noticed that there is another voiture in the photo above. Do any of you have the habit of scrolling the online listings daily although you aren't actively searching for another car? Probably. It was during one of these moments that, one year ago, I came across this 205 1.4 GR. For sale just a couple of streets from here. Recently passed inspection, has to go asap, 140 euros and take it away! Yeah, I couldn't resist that.

Current status: daily-ish car.

51297960146_0457bd5f21_z.jpg

So, this is the situation as it is at the moment. A fifth car is probably inevitable eventually, but first I need to find me some more storage space:)

Welcome, with such a fine collection of chod you will fit in well 

21 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Bigger? Pumas are huge with the back seats down! Remove the front passenger one and their even bigger! 

You'd be amazed at the size of tip run you could get in one, my old one swallowed amazingly huge things! (nothing practically sized like furniture though unless it came apart)

Welcome 😊

Thank you!

True but sadly it is indeed furniture which must be conveyed. And as I found rather soon after buying some garden furniture, it's not always the space within the car that's the problem, it's the size of your aperture..! 

On 8/5/2021 at 10:10 PM, aotb said:

Hello! Been lurking for a while, I think Schaefft first mentioned here a few years ago, but I only just got around to signing up. My car history is mostly early 2000s Japanese tat, with the exception of a Polo that I'd prefer not to talk about. My daily driver is a 2005 MR2 Roadster as seen interloping at  FOTU, and seen here next to something much nicer.

IMG_9604.thumb.jpeg.7670f49e7a0a48c810fc5e8891b18df3.jpegIMG_8796.thumb.jpeg.9111830e4647751f397c6fe710222e6b.jpeg

I've had this one for a year, with many trips planned, but FOTU was the first major trip out instead of just running about locally.  Not my first MR2, I did have a 2002 model before this one that had everything wrong with it. This one is  currently standard, but as it's both drinking and leaking oil from every orifice I have a 2ZZ conversion in the works with an engine from a ratty Corolla 190. Bought as a complete car that the 'clutch slightly slipping' which as it was gumtree meant that getting to 40mph is an achievement.  As it still had a ticket for a few months I swapped a new clutch in- the slippage was caused by a pressure plate spring exploding- and ran it until the MOT was out to check it out. Sold some parts from that so I'm in to it for very little. For peace of mind I stripped the engine down and it's now at the stage of having the bottom end back together. The weekend project is to get the valve stem seals changed and it mostly reassembled. Needs to be finished for a potential Alps Roadtrip in two months. 

The second car is one of several Ignis Sports I've had. This one used to belong to my grandmother, who gave up driving a couple of years ago. - I tried to sell it, but got fed up of being messed around. It's not used all that much but I do enjoy driving it when I do.   It's also done a  couple of Targa Rallies in a very amateur fashion . 

119510276_3152272934899022_8779620704372890640_o.thumb.jpg.e7362701f5d5bbedf1b4d57e686004eb.jpg

The major project is a Metro, but not the one which most people think of. It's a 1959 International Metro Mite, which I'm in the very slow process of getting on the road. Much smaller than it appears and surprisingly has a BL link. The original engine was a 1.5l B Series with a manual gearbox,  even at the time was regarded as underpowered. This was dropped after a couple of years and replaced by the international 6 cylinder. It's all parts bin, the rear axle is from a Willys Jeep. Leaf springs all round. This one had already been imported,  but I tracked down where it had been sold in the states, which was from a collectibles shop in Montana.  They are thin on the ground over there, the importer of this one has brought another over and I know of one in the Netherlands. 

IMG_0731.thumb.JPG.7062b4534ce987378d595c6d4cd15470.JPG

The engine was seized, and given the reputation of underpower I went a different route. For simplicity of shifting (due to the engine position by  your feet) I wanted a simple, reliable, fairly compact setup with good aftermarket support. 

IMG_3140(1).thumb.JPG.e9a45a764912fc18e3317641425651a8.JPG

Yes, this is a silly idea. It's a mildly rotten Eunos that a local breaker had. Off the road for a several  years and nobody wants an auto. Only 60000 miles and ran like a dream. I've made some progress on the body, clearing off old underseal and epoxy coating underneath, but got pretty bored of that so it ended up sitting for a long time. The engine and gearbox are mounted in and fit well, next task is probably build the loom to get things running. The body is mostly straight and rust free but does need  repair in places, the small patches I can tackle, the large panel that had an inch of filler coverings all the dents, not so much. Some people will be annoyed that the patina will be going, but it was bought for a purpose and will be a working vehicle. Needs to be done for next summer, so I must make some progress once the MR2 is done!

Excellent! Another MR2 Roadster owner joins the fold! @dome on here has also 2ZZ his MR2. I bought a scruffy Corolla T Sport for the same reason but ended up selling as our son was due shortly after and I just couldn't justify the spend at the time. I do intend to try again though. 

Here's mine when I was messing around with some wheels. 

Keep us posted on your 2ZZ endeavours!

20210801_205546.jpg