New members, introduce yourself here.

Wilko220

Hello, I'm Oliver,

Loved awful cars ever since seeing hordes of Skoda 120's in Slovakia when visiting in the Mid 2000's. 

In last two years I've started a history degree, owned a '83 Talbot Alpine LS and an Austin Maxi 2L (Which got driven into by an Audi Q2)

Finally joined after lurking for 2 years, looking forward to buying more shite (When I get some money) and getting to know people here.

Hello all, I've been lurking for quite a while and finally decided to register and say hallo.  I'm feeling very old as a lot of the cars on here seem very new to me, I was born in the 60s so think of old cars as being the 50s and 60s cars I was used to growing up.  Time flies hey?

6 hours ago, Clunk said:

Hello, I'm Oliver,

Loved awful cars ever since seeing hordes of Skoda 120's in Slovakia when visiting in the Mid 2000's. 

In last two years I've started a history degree, owned a '83 Talbot Alpine LS and an Austin Maxi 2L (Which got driven into by an Audi Q2)

Finally joined after lurking for 2 years, looking forward to buying more shite (When I get some money) and getting to know people here.

welcome oliver

5 hours ago, stendec said:

Hello all, I've been lurking for quite a while and finally decided to register and say hallo.  I'm feeling very old as a lot of the cars on here seem very new to me, I was born in the 60s so think of old cars as being the 50s and 60s cars I was used to growing up.  Time flies hey?

welcome aboard

17 hours ago, stendec said:

Great username BTW.  I wonder if many people get the reference...

Thanks Talbot

High Jetter, it would indeed be nice to know what stendec referred to but so far it appears to be an unsolved mystery, no one knows what the radio operator of the doomed plane meant when he transmitted the word in morse code.

And thanks Mr Pastry, you reply came in whilst mine was awaiting moderation as a newbie.

2 hours ago, stendec said:

Thanks Talbot

High Jetter, it would indeed be nice to know what stendec referred to but so far it appears to be an unsolved mystery, no one knows what the radio operator of the doomed plane meant when he transmitted the word in morse code.

And thanks Mr Pastry, you reply came in whilst mine was awaiting moderation as a newbie.

I did say it went over my head! I'd love to believe he had presence of mind to mean Severe Turbulence Encountered, Now Descending, Emergency Crash-landing". 

23 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

I did say it went over my head! I'd love to believe he had presence of mind to mean Severe Turbulence Encountered, Now Descending, Emergency Crash-landing". 

"Fly with the Stars" is probably the best book dealing with this, but what I have never seen anywhere is - what message would normally been sent when 4 minutes from Santiago as the crew believed they were, and what standard abbreviations were in use? 

I'm not sure, going by my limited knowledge of how things work today in the UK, I would guess current position (normally a set reporting point), next reporting point and estimated time at it, and possibly a request to enter controlled airspace or the aerodrome zone or a request to change radio frequency (code QSY) from en-route to approach or tower frequency.

Hi I'm Caleb, I've had an account for about a year now so thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm 19 with a 1991 Peugeot 205 GL, a 1993 Proton MPI (that's leaving shortly) and a 2006 Audi A4 Avant as a daily. Who knows I might be able to find something on here to replace the Proton in the future 😅

IMG_20220911_191645_269.jpg

IMG_20220830_193910_988.jpg

IMG_20221104_203319_583.jpg

2 hours ago, calebaaront said:

Hi I'm Caleb, I've had an account for about a year now so thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm 19 with a 1991 Peugeot 205 GL, a 1993 Proton MPI (that's leaving shortly) and a 2006 Audi A4 Avant as a daily. Who knows I might be able to find something on here to replace the Proton in the future 😅

IMG_20220911_191645_269.jpg

IMG_20220830_193910_988.jpg

IMG_20221104_203319_583.jpg

There's another Proton currently for sale on the forum...

Evening all.

Another serial lurker here. I created this account at the end of last year with all sorts of ideas about doing a collection thread on a vehicle I had just purchased unseen from eBay that was 200 miles from my house. Sadly, by the time my registration came through the collection was complete and I was too busy shitting myself about having bought a lemon to do any posting. It turned out the vehicle in question was not a fruit, citrus or otherwise, and many miles of happy motoring have occurred since I got over the usual 'what the fuck have I done now?' post-purchase anxiety. I really ought to be used to that by now... 

Anyway, I don't think I have enough vehicles to qualify for full fleet status, but if my somewhat shaky knowledge of naval terminology is correct I may just be able to scrape a squadron. This is a slightly teasing picture of the current state of the squadron.

IMG_7621.thumb.JPG.1044bed5d1ed4c862d84492b422ef5e6.JPG

Front and centre we have a 1994 Range Rover Classic, having just enjoyed its first wash in two years. To the left a 1984 Porsche 924, currently slightly unloved and increasingly grumpy about it. To the right my latest purchase, a 1993 VW LT35, which I have convinced myself and my wife I'll be able to get running properly and converted into a camper van by next summer. Finally, and barely visible behind the RR, a 1995 Volvo 940 estate, which was what I purchased when I registered and is of course the reason for my user name. I look forward to telling you all about these and the other bad decisions I've made in my short but I think reasonably glorious motoring career. 

15 hours ago, 2316cc said:

Evening all.

Another serial lurker here. I created this account at the end of last year with all sorts of ideas about doing a collection thread on a vehicle I had just purchased unseen from eBay that was 200 miles from my house. Sadly, by the time my registration came through the collection was complete and I was too busy shitting myself about having bought a lemon to do any posting. It turned out the vehicle in question was not a fruit, citrus or otherwise, and many miles of happy motoring have occurred since I got over the usual 'what the fuck have I done now?' post-purchase anxiety. I really ought to be used to that by now... 

Anyway, I don't think I have enough vehicles to qualify for full fleet status, but if my somewhat shaky knowledge of naval terminology is correct I may just be able to scrape a squadron. This is a slightly teasing picture of the current state of the squadron.

IMG_7621.thumb.JPG.1044bed5d1ed4c862d84492b422ef5e6.JPG

Front and centre we have a 1994 Range Rover Classic, having just enjoyed its first wash in two years. To the left a 1984 Porsche 924, currently slightly unloved and increasingly grumpy about it. To the right my latest purchase, a 1993 VW LT35, which I have convinced myself and my wife I'll be able to get running properly and converted into a camper van by next summer. Finally, and barely visible behind the RR, a 1995 Volvo 940 estate, which was what I purchased when I registered and is of course the reason for my user name. I look forward to telling you all about these and the other bad decisions I've made in my short but I think reasonably glorious motoring career. 

Greetings, you have a fine selection of chod there

Does the Porsche have body colour wheels too? 😁

Alas, no. Only stylish trying-to-be-a-turbo-but-not-really-a-turbo spiderwebs that are almost impossible to get bolts for. I discovered this because in the days before I owned a torque wrench I lost one.

This is what it looks like when it's not hiding behind a garage. From this distance you can see that the other cars are the same, but not that they're all in much better condition.

IMG_3252.thumb.JPG.69ac3de0748ecc20fc50938cdd66b781.JPG