New members, introduce yourself here.

Wilko220

On 10/2/2019 at 8:41 PM, Blake's Den said:

Hello everyone, newbie Gareth here.

Mini's are my thing - I have a '97 cooper, and '88 designer and a Turner Ranger tractor based upon mini mechanicals (yes you read that right!)

But more suited to these pages is my 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe V6. 30k miles and hasn't run in seven years. Too good to scrap, too bad a condition to sell so I've decided to have some fun with it instead. I'm looking forward to following lots of adventures on these pages.

IMG_20191002_181126413.jpg

why was it laid up?

Hi i am David im 50 years old have been driving since i was 17, so 33 years now.
I have had quite a few cars over the years but i will make a seperate post about them all later.
My current cars are a 54 plate Renault Megan Scenic 1.6 auto, shes in my name but its the wifes daily ( if a car could have crap as its name this would be it)
My daily driver is a 52 plate Toyota Avensis Verso 2.0 auto gls with 207000 miles on her and only 2 owners.
Her history is she belonged to my wifes Aunt who bought the car from the Toyota dealer at only a few months old, until that point it had been used as a dealer demo car, i geuss 
because she was automatic. It has satnav built in dvd player with screen in the roof, everything still works apart from the dvd player and the aircon. The dvd player gave up because of dog hair as mt wifes Aunt had
dogs in her from time to time. I will at some point be replacing the dvd player.
I met my wife back in 2006 and i have known the car from then on had driven it on many occasions, in 2007 i moved to Canada but returned when things went pear shaped in 2013. When i came back the first car i drove was again the Avensis, still as lovely to drive as ever.
Fast forward to a month ago the Avensis turned up at our house as my wifes Aunt had no where to park her as she has a few other cars, asked me to mot it, i looked round it finding it needed drive shaft boots rear pads and 2 front tyres, gearbox was also acting funny.
Wife told her Aunt what it needed she turned round and said i cant be bothered with it scrap it, i went what ? tell her to sighn it over to me, which she did for nothing.
I had no time to do the repairs so i stuck her in for MOT with a freindly garage, hes a good guy and no ripoff artist, he called me and said £261 with mot, as you can imagine i said yes do it.
Since then i have done a bit of cleaning and polishing, drained the auto box and with fresh oil on her stick it has stopped playing up and gone back to being a lovely old car.

DSC06445.JPG

DSC06447.JPG

DSC06449.JPG

Thanks for the welcome,  and yes i agree you dont see that many of them, compared to  vauxhall Zafira and the like they never really sold that well i think the price was a factor back then, form memory and what the Aunt told me this version which was top of the line was about  £22000 new so not exactly cheap. 

Hi all, recently joined and registered also lurked on here for a bit. As the name suggests I have an Alfa. The photo is an older one now, it’s a bit more Italian racing pink than red these days and the lacquer is going in a few places so it looks more shite than shiny! I’ve had it 4 years or so. Previous chod resume includes: mkiv fiesta Zetec, Alfa 146, ZX 1.9 xud, Fiat uno 1.7 derv, Fiat siecento sporting and 205 GTi 1.6 (when I was a yoof). Mrs botherer drives an r56 bini Cooper.

Second photo shows the Alfa in holiday mode last year. Loaded up and ready to head off with the botherlings.

looks like a lovely and very beige forum.

FFBCDBE7-5ADD-4C48-A05D-B44A31C1FF3E.jpeg

3383793D-8554-44DB-905B-626FD4058B56.jpeg

On 10/17/2019 at 10:49 PM, Twin-Cam said:

Hello everyone, here's my beautiful, beautiful piece of shite!

Also, I make terrible videos at youtube.com/twincam if you've got time to kill.

IMG_6689.JPG

Failed a driving test in one of these... probably before you were born. Failed for undue hesitancy at a junction. Tried to explain to the examiner that it didn't have the guts to pull the skin off a cold rice pudding and i wished to survive the day, but he wasn't having any of it. Expected me to shoot 4 lanes of traffic in one hit in a car made from recycled coke cans with an engine that would have struggled to propel a lawnmower down the grass verge... 

Has it got terminal tinworm yet? 

Hello. My name is Tom and I have a problem........

Currently my car fleet has just a 1988 BX TRS estate which is pretty tame compared to some of you fine people however I also have a collection of buses as well. Currently this incorporates a 1981 Leyland Olympian/ECW,  1983 Leyland Titan, 1984 MCW Metrobus and a 1986 Leyland Olympian/ECW.

As you can imagine, I live in a world of dodgy electrics, rust and poverty.

Please help me!

3 hours ago, Tom C said:

Currently my car fleet has just a 1988 BX TRS estate which is pretty tame compared to some of you fine people however I also have a collection of buses as well. Currently this incorporates a 1981 Leyland Olympian/ECW,  1983 Leyland Titan, 1984 MCW Metrobus and a 1986 Leyland Olympian/ECW.

Please help me!

Welcome to the forum. 

14 hours ago, Tom C said:

Please help me!

We have a few bus lickers on here, you’ll fit in just fine! Start a bus thread about your fleet! No doubt it’ll be popular. 

18 hours ago, Tom C said:

Please help me!

Oooh :)  someone with a fleet of buses, since @Yoss sold his Routemaster we have been down 1 so happy to see someone to fill the spot

(although needs more Routemaster!)

your fleet sounds suspiciously London Transport especially with the Titan, do you have pictures? :) 

^

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Oooh :)  someone with a fleet of buses, since @Yoss sold his Routemaster we have been down 1 so happy to see someone to fill the spot

(although needs more Routemaster!)

your fleet sounds suspiciously London Transport especially with the Titan, do you have pictures? :) 

That saying;    wait for one bus and they all come at once??

Well, here goes.............

476.thumb.jpg.ebaf5489d9de8057229b29d70a0891fc.jpg

Firstly, here is XWY476X, new to West Riding then purchased by Metrobus of Orpington (my interest) for use on their extensive Croydon network. Also spent time on the Isle of Man, this very well travelled old girl ended up with Confidence of Leicester before I took her on last year, She runs very well and is actually quite presentable. Seats need a retrim and a repaint but all in all, a very tidy old girl

747.thumb.jpg.536b9d925953455bdca93d0a79c3588c.jpg

Next is, T747 (OHV747Y), new to Gillingham Street garage in 1983 and decorated in a special gold livery to celebrate London Transport's golden jubilee. After the initial year of stardom, she settled down to a mundane career, passing though Camberwell, Catford, Muswell Hill, Finchley,  and               Bexleyheath garages, She is preserved as you see her.

12973449_10154098670263894_414702050584164129_o.thumb.jpg.6e48986c05c64133db28c42a7f3a0abb.jpg

My first buy was former LT M1100 (B100WUL), a 1984 MCW Metrobus. Unlike most LT Metrobuses, this beast was equipped with a Cummins L10 engine from new and is the only survivor of the batch. She is seen here on her first outing after being renovated at the East Grinstead running day a couple of years ago

771218779_150Hastings.thumb.jpg.f819fcdac7ffbfdaa857b70a5a3f641f.jpg

And finally,,,,,,,,,,here is the last member of the bus fleet. Former LT L150 (D150FYM). She spent her entire London career in South London working out of Norwood and Thornton Heath garages. She is pretty tired and needs quite a bit of work which will be starting before the end of the year. She is seen here in Hastings on her first run in my ownership, Sadly, it was found that the 6LXB engine is breathing rather badly which will mean a rebuild is needed along with work on the tired bodywork.

110878240_BXreal.jpg.bc0773795dc729e3c5ea96b158c65fab.jpg

And here is the car..........currently at Chevronics in Hitchin. She has had a lot of work done and is ready for me to take back which will be in the next couple of weeks. She is MOT'd and had extensive work done. Still needs a respray down the road and also will need a sill done for the next MOT.

So there we are.............thats the lot!

On 10/26/2019 at 8:29 PM, Tom C said:

Please help me!

Hi, welcome along. Even without the buses, being a BX owner you'll fit right in here. Nothing on here will seem odd to someone running a thirty year old Citroen. 

There is a bus shite thread for you to show off your fleet. Love to see the Titan, less so the Metrobus. But some people will be of the opposite persuasion. There was always a bit of a Titan/Metrobus rivalry in London in the 80s, you weren't allowed to like both so fair play for having both. To be honest I'd be very happy if a Metrobus turned up now but at the time I was very much in the Titan camp. Anyway I look forward to hearing more. 

17 hours ago, Tom C said:

Well, here goes.............

476.thumb.jpg.ebaf5489d9de8057229b29d70a0891fc.jpg

Firstly, here is XWY476X, new to West Riding then purchased by Metrobus of Orpington (my interest) for use on their extensive Croydon network. Also spent time on the Isle of Man, this very well travelled old girl ended up with Confidence of Leicester before I took her on last year, She runs very well and is actually quite presentable. Seats need a retrim and a repaint but all in all, a very tidy old girl

747.thumb.jpg.536b9d925953455bdca93d0a79c3588c.jpg

Next is, T747 (OHV747Y), new to Gillingham Street garage in 1983 and decorated in a special gold livery to celebrate London Transport's golden jubilee. After the initial year of stardom, she settled down to a mundane career, passing though Camberwell, Catford, Muswell Hill, Finchley,  and               Bexleyheath garages, She is preserved as you see her.

12973449_10154098670263894_414702050584164129_o.thumb.jpg.6e48986c05c64133db28c42a7f3a0abb.jpg

My first buy was former LT M1100 (B100WUL), a 1984 MCW Metrobus. Unlike most LT Metrobuses, this beast was equipped with a Cummins L10 engine from new and is the only survivor of the batch. She is seen here on her first outing after being renovated at the East Grinstead running day a couple of years ago

771218779_150Hastings.thumb.jpg.f819fcdac7ffbfdaa857b70a5a3f641f.jpg

And finally,,,,,,,,,,here is the last member of the bus fleet. Former LT L150 (D150FYM). She spent her entire London career in South London working out of Norwood and Thornton Heath garages. She is pretty tired and needs quite a bit of work which will be starting before the end of the year. She is seen here in Hastings on her first run in my ownership, Sadly, it was found that the 6LXB engine is breathing rather badly which will mean a rebuild is needed along with work on the tired bodywork.

110878240_BXreal.jpg.bc0773795dc729e3c5ea96b158c65fab.jpg

And here is the car..........currently at Chevronics in Hitchin. She has had a lot of work done and is ready for me to take back which will be in the next couple of weeks. She is MOT'd and had extensive work done. Still needs a respray down the road and also will need a sill done for the next MOT.

So there we are.............thats the lot!

what a lovely fleet :) 

as someone who is a London bus enthusiast im always happy to see some more London Transport stuff on here :)

I look forward to reading more about it!

(and the citroen BX is nice too :) )