New members, introduce yourself here.

Wilko220

13 hours ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Very nice garelli, do I spot a" sports" exhaust. 

I live in Italy, there are loads of these unused in garages around here, sadly either they think they are worth loads (euro 500 plus) and the burocracy of  changing ownership and getting back on road just makes it impossible. I'd love one. 

Haha I won a pair of those exhaust pipes from eBay for £1 . They were off mini Motos. I butchered them up to fit in the hope it would quiet it down a bit...... Which it didn't. It's fascinating how people value vehicles so differently. Such a shame really, they're awesome machines. Why don't you try offering them a low ball on the off chance... You never know you could end up snagging a bargain :)

I had a Katia years ago... paid £8 at the car boot, and got it home in the back of my dad's Fiat Regata! Those were the days.

Had it running but never road legal... Only time I ever used it on the road was on the way to an MOT (which it failed). After the test ride I changed my mind about bothering to get it on the road, I think I decided I'd be better off on a push bike...Kudos to anyone who has the guts to use one as transport!

8 hours ago, marm said:

I had a Katia years ago... paid £8 at the car boot, and got it home in the back of my dad's Fiat Regata! Those were the days.

Had it running but never road legal... Only time I ever used it on the road was on the way to an MOT (which it failed). After the test ride I changed my mind about bothering to get it on the road, I think I decided I'd be better off on a push bike...Kudos to anyone who has the guts to use one as transport!

Haha That's amazing!!! Can imagine the squeeze that was in the boot. Bet you well well excited to get it home and tinker with it! What happened to it in the end? I only ride mine when I can with a 56 mile commute but I think it would make a steady commuting stead if only I lived closer haha! 

19 minutes ago, garellikatia said:

Haha That's amazing!!! Can imagine the squeeze that was in the boot. Bet you well well excited to get it home and tinker with it! What happened to it in the end? I only ride mine when I can with a 56 mile commute but I think it would make a steady commuting stead if only I lived closer haha! 

Regata estate it was so not too bad, but yeah, a bit tight. I think we had the tailgate open. Sold the Garelli years later for a bit more than £8, one of the very few vehicles I've owned and made a profit on. It mostly just sat in the shed and occasionally went round in circles in the back garden, stinking out the neighbours' washing with 2 stroke fumes.

Hi i'm new here, but always been into older 'shite'. Current fleet consists of a 1996 honda stepwagon (the bif brother to the s-mx) which is so much better than any modern mpv/suv for moving the family around in (more space, less bulk) and is so wonderfully 90's.

46135425325_8999f52ac3_z.jpgDSC_0372 by garrywadey, on Flickr

40084293903_ae1e174425_z.jpgDSC_0364 by garrywadey, on Flickr

40084294183_8147bd3236_z.jpgDSC_0363 by garrywadey, on Flickr

recently completed a family holiday to france no bother and i've converted it to LPG for much cheapness, we love this wagon!

Also have my pride and joy 1971 mini, it's not exactly a shitter though after i've fully restored and massively modified it but it still gets used daily

46723062025_933b74f480_z.jpgDSC_0492 by garrywadey, on Flickr

44134609910_f85d9ca46f_z.jpg31vkGR6 by garrywadey, on Flickr

28820591798_38692641e4_z.jpgDSC_0025 by garrywadey, on Flickr

I've owned this for over 13 years and will never part with it. Also have an Alfa Guilietta (modern-ish) for work duties but this is the first 'modern' car i've owned and i'm now getting itchy feet for something older

11 hours ago, marm said:

Regata estate it was so not too bad, but yeah, a bit tight. I think we had the tailgate open. Sold the Garelli years later for a bit more than £8, one of the very few vehicles I've owned and made a profit on. It mostly just sat in the shed and occasionally went round in circles in the back garden, stinking out the neighbours' washing with 2 stroke fumes.

Awesome!!! Haha that tickled me! The neighbors must have been "fuming" with you ;)

19 hours ago, gazwad said:

Also have my pride and joy 1971 mini, it's not exactly a shitter though after i've fully restored and massively modified it but it still gets used daily

46723062025_933b74f480_z.jpgDSC_0492 by garrywadey, on Flickr

44134609910_f85d9ca46f_z.jpg31vkGR6 by garrywadey, on Flickr

28820591798_38692641e4_z.jpgDSC_0025 by garrywadey, on Flickr

I've owned this for over 13 years and will never part with it. Also have an Alfa Guilietta (modern-ish) for work duties but this is the first 'modern' car i've owned and i'm now getting itchy feet for something older

The Mini is very interesting, when I first looked at it, I thought you'd re shelled it into a Mk1/2 then I saw the inside shots showing the Mk3 doors with external hinges so what's going on with that? Glad you make the look work though as you see so many Mk3s with Mk 1 grills & rear lights, but concealed hinges and it looks so wrong to me. Also that engine??? In fact make a project thread for this car!

9 hours ago, ChampionRabbit said:

Sorry if I missed something, but are the modern and open forums for elite members? I can't access them. Maybe you need a post count higher than a certain number?

I think they're visible to new members once they've made their first ten posts on the main forum - the initial few of which need mod approval, just to keep the spambots at bay. Once you've made another post or two, you should be grand to access all areas.

Oh, that and successfully wrestling the greased pig in the ring at Cannock. They did tell you about that during the sign-up process, right? It's only a small pig, never worry.

Anyway, it's well worth it for the Shed Thread alone.

5 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

I think they're visible to new members once they've made their first ten posts on the main forum - the initial few of which need mod approval, just to keep the spambots at bay. Once you've made another post or two, you should be grand to access all areas.

Oh, that and successfully wrestling the greased pig in the ring at Cannock. They did tell you about that during the sign-up process, right? It's only a small pig, never worry.

Anyway, it's well worth it for the Shed Thread alone.

Ah! Thanks so much for clearing that mystery up!

Shed thread is right up my greased alley.

:D

Alright fellow lovers of shitty cars. As a primary school teacher and family man, I have never had any money, and the cash I have has been used for nappies, mortgages and all manner of "grown up" gubbins.

All my cars have been a)cheap, b)at least 10 years old and c) Renault. 

Now I've reached the age of mid life crisis, I have decided to buy a ridiculous car for the first time in my life, again over 10 years old and again cheap. An LTI TX4. A taxi. 

And I'm going to drive it from Britain to Prague, where I live. Next week. Sight unseen.

Insane laugh. Wish me luck and no engine explosions.

I never know what to put in these bloody introduction things. I suppose I'll start with hello. So, hello, I'm Mick. I used to love cars. I knew all sorts of rubbish about them. Then I failed my test, twice, and lost all passion. 20 years go by and I finally get my arse in gear and pass my test and suddenly my passion is renewed only I know sod all about the cars on the road. I drive an 18 year old zafira which is definitely going to fail its MOT tomorrow and isn't even mine because it's cheaper by £150 to insure if it's in my mum's name for some reason. If anybody could explain why that is I'd appreciate it. Insurance premiums seem like black magic, I swear. 

11 hours ago, Paulinprague said:

And I'm going to drive it from Britain to Prague, where I live. Next week. Sight unseen.

That's the spirit! You know, now you have to learn quickly the etiquette on collecshun threads, and start one as soon as you start your journey to get the taxi.

Hi all, iv visited this forum a few times in the past so thought it time to join. I started driving with a 92 diesel 106 rescued from a scrap yard I then had various saxos and 106s in poor states. That was 10 yrs ago though and I now have modern Fords with old minis and landrovers for interest. Iam hoping to make a return to the simpler and more characterful French times at some point. 

51 minutes ago, stuboy said:

get a fare to help with the costs

A shame that I'm back in work next week, it could be a good way to visit Prague. It would be worth it just to step out of the taxi dressed in smart suit, carrying a briefcase and rolled umbrella, to ask the driver "And how much is that my good man?"

On 7/11/2019 at 10:59 PM, Paulinprague said:

Bloody Scumtree sellers.

Told the taxi owner I would buy the car, by email and by phone. Bought my plane ticket (Ryanair 20 quid, bargain) and arranged insurance (200 quid third party, again, bargain) and now he says there's lots of interest in the cab, and would I pay a deposit! Is he taking the piss? 

I just said I ain't gonna pay nothing until I have the keys in hand, and he's just going to have to trust me.

Here's hoping he agrees. Arse. 

On 7/11/2019 at 9:59 PM, Paulinprague said:

Alright fellow lovers of shitty cars. As a primary school teacher and family man, I have never had any money, and the cash I have has been used for nappies, mortgages and all manner of "grown up" gubbins.

All my cars have been a)cheap, b)at least 10 years old and c) Renault. 

Now I've reached the age of mid life crisis, I have decided to buy a ridiculous car for the first time in my life, again over 10 years old and again cheap. An LTI TX4. A taxi. 

Insane laugh. Wish me luck and no engine explosions.

South of the river? Nah mate ?

Hi, all. Been lurking for around 3 years, and had some real trips down memory lane, thanks to you guys. Mental bunch!

Currently running a V70 diesel shitbox and a 330d bastard. Both mechanically sound but mostly fucked in other ways.

I love the collection threads, which is probably where i found the inspiration to drive a car with a rear shocker poking through the turret, back from Scotland to Manchester at 50ish mph. Including 2 hours fucking around with lights/electrics on Halfords Dundee carpark, hands freezing cold, bursting for a piss and wincing at the arse-raping prices for bits of wire, connectors and bulbs that wont fit, because the indicators on offside packed in and brake lights gave up.

Not to mention only putting £20 fuel in at a time, to stop the rear wheel bottoming out in the arch.

It sounded like skeletons fucking in the boot for 6 or 7 hours.  Stopped by police in Carlisle, not on insurance database. They also checked the tyres, but thank god they didnt open the boot.

Ebay - buy or die. The Mrs needed a cheap car, but likes older ones. I dont even know if i wanted to buy it  or not, but when youve spent 6 hours travelling on trains to be greeted with a car not as described, you undoubtedly let the ginger ebayer know youre pissed off, and then find out tickets home are nearly £200 you take a chance.

But the wife loves it, and has even given it a name . . Brian. So it has to stay.

Car bmw e46 330d Purchase £400

£40-50 Halfords cocksuckers cheap wank wires bulbs vietnamese tools and mindfucking connector thingies etc

£160 emergency repairs days after i got it home.

Recent mot £520 and now it needs a diff and some other shit underneath

Were  in Manchester area, and would be happy to help a shiter if they need a lift en-route or something , as most weekends we go for a mooch, castle hunting or bothering owls and random animals at sanctuarys etc . .

hello all, 

sorry I've been getting involved in threads without posting here! 

Into cars as long as I can remember. Born 1991, my primary school self was obsessed with various cars, eg 106, Fiestas of the time but then also the Sierra. 

Anyway, I've only really owned modern cars by the standards of this forum but am constantly on the prowl for something to scratch those itches of those old days. My current car is a delightful if inefficient one and actually I am realising it's a bit too nice/special to be piling on miles from my commute.

That's my excuse anyway for looking for a small, cheap, decent MPG hatchback (having said that it doesn't really NEED to be a hatchback). The things I keep coming back to are:

• Clio (mk1 or more realstically mk2)
  • Saxo
  • Yaris (mk1) 
  • Twingo (really, REALLY want a Mk1 but thinking that may be a project for next year and perhaps a European collection!?!) looking at Mk2 more realistically here

I also really want to own a British car so have looked at Rover 200s, 100s, maybe Metros etc. I am nervous to go older than 90s though tbh, need something to build my confidence with to start!! 

Any opinions or alternatives to the above list are more than welcome... I think my top spot is probably a mk1 Yaris with the plastic bumpers. I believe the rear seats fold up nicely so I could transport a large-ish dog in the back sometimes? (Family commitments mean I sometimes have to look after one). Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that! I think the Twingos have the same setup. 

I am based in the NW around North Wales/Cheshire borders, have a 15mi each way rural A road commute so not mega miles. 

Anyway, ramble over. Hello all :-) 

M

Hello, just signed up today and thought I'd introduce myself.  Only just discovered the forum via a link on Pistonheads, and was immediately hooked!

Late to the world of cars I've only had boring and mundane modern motors for the last ten years or so, my oldest being a fantastic Mazda Tribute, but even that was a '52 plate.  My current tin shit is a '99 Ford Cougar, acquired from my father in law after failing it's MOT.  It was made good and used in a banger rally to Monte Carlo last year where I fell in love with the thing and convinced the missus that we needed a large, impractical unloved Ford.

Ever since I've been acquiring parts and learning what a 'spanner' is in anticipation of much needed fettling to keep it sound.  

IMG_20180602_161619.jpg

Just joined - never seen site till yesterday when a member suggested putting my Saab on here for decent disposal ,

I had a terrible car history , well before the internet  I would run 3 or 4 cars and would lookout for cars that needed saving 

so it got quite interesting , including

Fiat - 124 Special T  - 1st car 1600dohc 5 speed looked like a Lada when they were "new"  annoyed a lot of boy racers!

Uno x 2  great things

Citroen - my favourites  , 2cv, Dyane, Visa, GSX3  , BX, CX mk1  the one I wish I still  owned  , Xantia 

Renault - 4, 4Vanx2 , 5, 6, 9, 12 x3 , 14 ,16x2 , Fuego 

VW - Sirocco mk2 , GTI MK2 , Passat  T2

GM - Viva HB 1600 , Bedford CFII 

BL -  Landcrab 1800 , Mini traveller - goodwood

Volvo - 244DL in orange "be safe be seen " sticker on it  - 340DL - massively underated  cars

It all wend Saab for the last 17 years  9-5 Estates x 2  - last of which has gone in the classifieds

Howdy Folks!

I found this forum after discovering Hubnut on the old youtube, having lumbered himself with a poverty-spec Rover 820 (an example of which I used to own, but with a dealer-fitted chrome grille, posh!), and was delighted to find that I am not the only one to enjoy the most mundane of vehicles. I personally hanker after a mark 4/5 Cortina, like the one I bought many years ago for £75, and ran for a year (happy days!), having had to fit an engine, gearbox and interior (blue seats in a 'Terracotta' car......lovely!), just to get it on the road.

I've spent the last nearly 30 years running some of the dullest cars going.  I started with a Triumph Acclaim (Triomatic!) with more rust than metal, through various Fords (like the much-missed Cortina!), Rovers, Renaults and BMWs (almost interesting!) to my current steed, a 2004 Peugeot 307 LX (lowest of the low) Diesel Estate, which any day now will surely fail it's MOT, and my fiancee's car, a Renault Megane convertible, which doesn't convert properly. Pictured is my faithful (at least until the aforementioned MOT is failed) Peugeot, which was a taxi until I changed career about a year ago. It is currently nowhere near as clean!

IMAG0220.jpg