New members, introduce yourself here.

Wilko220

Hello all,

Another lurker here, found my way after seeing mention of 'the biege forum' on Retroshite's FB page.  Great to be among so many like-minded souls, I'll start with a round-up of my small fleet...

1989 Trabant 601s...  

600cc's and 600kg of two-stroke DDR engineering genius... the 'other' people's car.  Bought from even further north in 2009, and many happy miles enjoyed since, summer daily.  Record stands at 12,000 miles between tests one year!

1987 Trabant 601 deluxe...

One became two a few years ago, when the wife of a work colleague mentioned to her father that she'd seen another one (mine) on the road...  he didn't believe her (it's north east Scotland after all, they are a wee bit thin on the ground here!), so I went round to show off and talk Trabbi.  Obviously, he had been waiting for the perfect buyer... and a deal was done.  The Lotus Carlton he moved out the way to get the Trabster out was a nice surprise...!  A 'deluxe' Trabant by the way, includes many luxurious features such as opening rear windows, a heated rear window, and front seat headrests, so now you know.

1983 Qek Junior caravan...

Unbelievably, the aforementioned DDR genius engineers also deemed that caravanning should be an option, and so built the 350kg Qek, specifically to be towed by Trabis and their bigger Wartburg brethren… a steel chassis, Trabant wheels, and room for 2+2 on one big bed.  A once in a lifetime opportunity to purchase it came about when meeting the previous owner at a car show, who had been holidaying in it for a couple of years, towing it with his old Mini.  I think you'll agree... a magnificent addition!

1993 Audi Coupe...

Bit 'not shite enough, really' this one.  2.6 V6 auto in white, beautiful, fast and great handling car.  Not amazingly rapid off the blocks, but lovely from 50 mph onwards, a genuinely nice car, with the smoothest engine I've ever driven.  205k on the clock, the last owner had it from nearly new and truly loved it.  It has received (meticulously documented) an oil change every 4000 miles for example, and still drives better than most new cars.  Slight blue tint to the glass, blue velour interior... lovely.  Nothing better than loping along with the sunroof open, Moseley Shoals playing on cassette... bring back the 90's.

1993 Toyota HiAce camper...

Owned for 16 years now, imported by Wellhouse Leisure in Holmsfirth.  2.8 non-turbo automatic, slow but steady, we have been all over the country, and 'Bigvan' is really a family member... ranks ahead of the dogs, and actually neck and neck with the kids if I'm honest!  Two batteries, a set of tyres and a cambelt in 16 years... 

1992 Toyota Hilux Surf...

Winter daily... dogs, kids' bikes, tools, furniture and trailer-hauling workhorse.  Still quite a few around I know, but I really love this thing... runs and runs without fault, and still looks pretty bad-ass doing it.  Actually very comfy vehicle too, they really don't build them like this anymore.  Just bought a cam belt kit for it, £50 and two days delivery from Roughtrax, can't say fairer than that.

That's it, I will endeavour to put up the pics tomorrow.  The Audi is probably going to be the 'changeable' car this year, I haven't driven it much in the couple of years I've had it, so could be tempted by some old Japanese shite I haven't thought of yet. 

Happy New Year, cheers just now, Ronnie.

Hello all,

Another lurker here, found my way after seeing mention of 'the biege forum' on Retroshite's FB page. Great to be among so many like-minded souls, I'll start with a round-up of my small fleet...

1989 Trabant 601s...

600cc's and 600kg of two-stroke DDR engineering genius... the 'other' people's car. Bought from even further north in 2009, and many happy miles enjoyed since, summer daily. Record stands at 12,000 miles between tests one year!

One became two a few years ago, when the wife of a work colleague mentioned to her father that she'd seen another one (mine) on the road... he didn't believe her (it's north east Scotland after all, they are a wee bit thin on the ground here!), so I went round to show off and talk Trabbi. Obviously, he had been waiting for the perfect buyer... and a deal was done. The Lotus Carlton he moved out the way to get the Trabster out was a nice surprise...! A 'deluxe' Trabant by the way, includes many luxurious features such as opening rear windows, a heated rear window, and front seat headrests, so now you know.

Unbelievably, the aforementioned DDR genius engineers also deemed that caravanning should be an option, and so built the 350kg Qek, specifically to be towed by Trabis and their bigger Wartburg brethren… a steel chassis, Trabant wheels, and room for 2+2 on one big bed. A once in a lifetime opportunity to purchase it came about when meeting the previous owner at a car show, who had been holidaying in it for a couple of years, towing it with his old Mini. I think you'll agree... a magnificent addition!

1993 Audi Coupe...

Bit 'not shite enough, really' this one. 2.6 V6 auto in white, beautiful, fast and great handling car. Not amazingly rapid off the blocks, but lovely from 50 mph onwards, a genuinely nice car, with the smoothest engine I've ever driven. 205k on the clock, the last owner had it from nearly new and truly loved it. It has received (meticulously documented) an oil change every 4000 miles for example, and still drives better than most new cars. Slight blue tint to the glass, blue velour interior... lovely. Nothing better than loping along with the sunroof open, Moseley Shoals playing on cassette... bring back the 90's.

Owned for 16 years now, imported by Wellhouse Leisure in Holmsfirth. 2.8 non-turbo automatic, slow but steady, we have been all over the country, and 'Bigvan' is really a family member... ranks ahead of the dogs, and actually neck and neck with the kids if I'm honest! Two batteries, a set of tyres and a cambelt in 16 years...

Winter daily... dogs, kids' bikes, tools, furniture and trailer-hauling workhorse. Still quite a few around I know, but I really love this thing... runs and runs without fault, and still looks pretty bad-ass doing it. Actually very comfy vehicle too, they really don't build them like this anymore. Just bought a cam belt kit for it, £50 and two days delivery from Roughtrax, can't say fairer than that.

That's it, I will endeavour to put up the pics tomorrow. The Audi is probably going to be the 'changeable' car this year, I haven't driven it much in the couple of years I've had it, so could be tempted by some old Japanese shite I haven't thought of yet.

Moseley Shoals! Winnah, great album!

Hello all,

Another lurker here, found my way after seeing mention of 'the biege forum' on Retroshite's FB page. Great to be among so many like-minded souls, I'll start with a round-up of my small fleet...

1989 Trabant 601s...

600cc's and 600kg of two-stroke DDR engineering genius... the 'other' people's car. Bought from even further north in 2009, and many happy miles enjoyed since, summer daily. Record stands at 12,000 miles between tests one year!

One became two a few years ago, when the wife of a work colleague mentioned to her father that she'd seen another one (mine) on the road... he didn't believe her (it's north east Scotland after all, they are a wee bit thin on the ground here!), so I went round to show off and talk Trabbi. Obviously, he had been waiting for the perfect buyer... and a deal was done. The Lotus Carlton he moved out the way to get the Trabster out was a nice surprise...! A 'deluxe' Trabant by the way, includes many luxurious features such as opening rear windows, a heated rear window, and front seat headrests, so now you know.

Unbelievably, the aforementioned DDR genius engineers also deemed that caravanning should be an option, and so built the 350kg Qek, specifically to be towed by Trabis and their bigger Wartburg brethren… a steel chassis, Trabant wheels, and room for 2+2 on one big bed. A once in a lifetime opportunity to purchase it came about when meeting the previous owner at a car show, who had been holidaying in it for a couple of years, towing it with his old Mini. I think you'll agree... a magnificent addition!

1993 Audi Coupe...

Bit 'not shite enough, really' this one. 2.6 V6 auto in white, beautiful, fast and great handling car. Not amazingly rapid off the blocks, but lovely from 50 mph onwards, a genuinely nice car, with the smoothest engine I've ever driven. 205k on the clock, the last owner had it from nearly new and truly loved it. It has received (meticulously documented) an oil change every 4000 miles for example, and still drives better than most new cars. Slight blue tint to the glass, blue velour interior... lovely. Nothing better than loping along with the sunroof open, Moseley Shoals playing on cassette... bring back the 90's.

Owned for 16 years now, imported by Wellhouse Leisure in Holmsfirth. 2.8 non-turbo automatic, slow but steady, we have been all over the country, and 'Bigvan' is really a family member... ranks ahead of the dogs, and actually neck and neck with the kids if I'm honest! Two batteries, a set of tyres and a cambelt in 16 years...

Winter daily... dogs, kids' bikes, tools, furniture and trailer-hauling workhorse. Still quite a few around I know, but I really love this thing... runs and runs without fault, and still looks pretty bad-ass doing it. Actually very comfy vehicle too, they really don't build them like this anymore. Just bought a cam belt kit for it, £50 and two days delivery from Roughtrax, can't say fairer than that.

That's it, I will endeavour to put up the pics tomorrow. The Audi is probably going to be the 'changeable' car this year, I haven't driven it much in the couple of years I've had it, so could be tempted by some old Japanese shite I haven't thought of yet.

Welcome along, I'm sure you will fit in well with that excellent collection of cars.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Hello to all of you.

I’ve been a lurker for quite a long time and have finally managed to gain access after several abortive/unsuccessful attempts.

I’m a lifelong fan of buying older stuff that I love, but usually turns out to be in such poor shape that I spend a fortune fixing them (thus hate) only to sell them on way too quickly.

Anyway thanks for admittance and here’s my current older which has bucked the trend in time spent in my ownership and reliability.

Apologies for the pic being a little instagrammy.

post-26946-0-80360300-1547391831_thumb.jpeg

Hi Everybody,

I am fascinated by all cars including terrible/forgotten heaps from all countries. I thought I was alone. Anyway, I have been pointed in this direction by a good friend of mine with an encyclopaedic knowledge of automotive tat so I shall be contributing some worth here from now on.

Nice to meet you all!

Gordon

Hi Everybody,

I am fascinated by all cars including terrible/forgotten heaps from all countries. I thought I was alone. Anyway, I have been pointed in this direction by a good friend of mine with an encyclopaedic knowledge of automotive tat so I shall be contributing some worth here from now on.

Nice to meet you all!

Gordon

where you from tcbp ?

Yep, there's definitely love for the LT in here :-)

I used to have an LT28 2.0 Devon minibus / camper and an LT35 2.4 n/a camper conversion, mat_the_cat has an LT35 2.4 turbo camper conversion as you probably know.

I wouldn't mind seeing pics of the Variant.

Still deciding what to do with it.   I restored it in 2006 and ran it for 30k.  I then seized the engine and it sat in my garage for nine years whilst I peed around sorting houses out and moving house.  Recently got it going again as I had to sell the house it was stored at.  Promptly rewarded me by shitting out its gearbox and losing reverse gear.  It has sat on my front drive for six months or so learning who's the boss.  Got to decide whether to flog it (with the gearbox fixed), or keep it.  Trouble is I have three other knackered dubs to sort out as well (and little spare time to do it).

post-20822-0-72974000-1547494634_thumb.jpg

Nice to see that Variant with a standard ride height! You have to keep it to save it from 'them'

I'm an old school fart, and not of the lowered pineapple class :).  I wants to keep it, but practical head says it needs to go.  I'll fix it first and then drive it and then fall back in love with it and keep it.

The old jeep...

WP_20151004_14_16_10_Pro%20-%20Copy_zpsx

Entering pedantic mode. With sarcasm and swearyness added for amusement. And a hint of irony

Jeep? Fuck Off. That's not a Jeep. That's something built by a Japanese company, sometime after the Jeep was used by it's enemies whilst fighting a war.

Nice to see a friendly and welcoming arm is put around the shoulders of newbies........

But your right, its a Toyota

I'm a twat. But not a nasty twat. A jokey benevolent twat. I welcome new bees with bants.

Entering pedantic mode. With sarcasm and swearyness added for amusement. And a hint of irony

Jeep? Fuck Off. That's not a Jeep. That's something built by a Japanese company, sometime after the Jeep was used by it's enemies whilst fighting a war.

Haha!  In this neck of the woods anything 4wd is either a jeep or a pick-up, we've had a Rav4 (wee jeep) before, and I have just been out fixing my friend's Mitsubishi jeep...  So the jeep it shall remain. 

Hopefully you feel better for getting it off your chest though, I'm just off to do a bit of hoovering... with my Dyson!

Hi all, long time reader finally taking the plunge.  I'm nearly retired from the car industry so will shortly be freed from the burden of company car use.  I've got a modern fun car (mid life crisis Mustang V8 perfect for living in London) but I hanker after the simpler times when my idea of a flash motor was running a Mk1 sierra with a broken engine mount, a Rover SD1 with no rear dampers but a 4 speaker cassette player or a Metro HLE with added slowness.  You lot offer some great inspiration -- i'll be back for more soon.

Hi all, long time reader finally taking the plunge. I'm nearly retired from the car industry so will shortly be freed from the burden of company car use. I've got a modern fun car (mid life crisis Mustang V8 perfect for living in London) but I hanker after the simpler times when my idea of a flash motor was running a Mk1 sierra with a broken engine mount, a Rover SD1 with no rear dampers but a 4 speaker cassette player or a Metro HLE with added slowness. You lot offer some great inspiration -- i'll be back for more soon.

The post above yours offers my suggestion.

V8 mustang for town use and a toaster for long motorway cruising.

Still deciding what to do with it.   I restored it in 2006 and ran it for 30k.  I then seized the engine and it sat in my garage for nine years whilst I peed around sorting houses out and moving house.  Recently got it going again as I had to sell the house it was stored at.  Promptly rewarded me by shitting out its gearbox and losing reverse gear.  It has sat on my front drive for six months or so learning who's the boss.  Got to decide whether to flog it (with the gearbox fixed), or keep it.  Trouble is I have three other knackered dubs to sort out as well (and little spare time to do it).

I do like these - one of the only early VW's that I rather like.

Hello all,

Another lurker here, found my way after seeing mention of 'the biege forum' on Retroshite's FB page.  Great to be among so many like-minded souls, I'll start with a round-up of my small fleet...

Aaaah, I spotted your car out and about a few times back when I lived in the area!

post-19482-0-20272200-1548083129_thumb.jpg

post-19482-0-79337500-1548083201_thumb.jpg