Saab. What is it about them that just keeps you fixing them?

Bobthebeard

Righto Saab lickers, it looks very much like I'll be joining the clan tomorrow.

I'm buying an 05 plate 1.8t petrol Linear.

It wants a bit of fettling, it's scruffy as f**k, but the first job will be to have a butchers at why the airbag light is illuminated on the dash.

Anyone on here know anything about diagnostics on these?

I've got an OBD 2 scanner which I had for the Volvo, but I don't suppose that's compatible, is it?

Could be anything on them tbh. Could be connectors, or could even be like our 55 plate one where the airbag controller had an internal fault. The side airbag it moaned about had complete continuity from both ends of the cable.

There is 8 airbags, seat sensors on each side, 2 sets of impact sensors and seatbelt tensioners. So a lot of connections to check - probably worth getting the code scanned as a minimum.

Well mine has now lasted almost 3yrs and if I'm honest I neglect it as it is the workhorse..... it's had all sorts of shit in it. The amount of garage crap it's moved between the places over the last month is astounding. I always fail to service it properly - far too late - and the suspension really needs overhauling with the bushes on their way out for sure. 

It's been all over Europe, runs like a dream and was messed with a little before I got it - still taking off like a scaulded cat if I want it to. 

My only negative about it - and not the cars fault at all - is I bought the 9-3 - so hatch..... but it's bloody amazing...... I've never been into any of the cars I've owned in any way as much as this one...... 

I'm seriously tempted by an estate that's up for sale - but haven't heard from the vendor yet. Hopefully it'll work out and I'll have the brace....... 

Off to message seller of estate again........ it WILL be mine! (I hope)

Righto Saab lickers, it looks very much like I'll be joining the clan tomorrow.

I'm buying an 05 plate 1.8t petrol Linear.

It wants a bit of fettling, it's scruffy as f**k, but the first job will be to have a butchers at why the airbag light is illuminated on the dash.

Anyone on here know anything about diagnostics on these?

I've got an OBD 2 scanner which I had for the Volvo, but I don't suppose that's compatible, is it?

Saab bought. I was pleasantly surprised to be honest.

It's a quick thing, for a 2.0 turbo

Even Mrs Tet, who hates all cars I buy started to like it on the way home. Her only negative comment was 'I wish it was an auto'.

So do I, but you can't have everything.

No photos as yet, but the cleaning will start tomorrow, so I'll do some before and after shots.

I don't think my mate at work ever washed or hoovered the bloody thing. Definitely wants undogging. He bought it for some relatives who came over from Australia, so they could tour the UK, which they did. He only meant to keep it for six weeks, but ended up keeping it for 18 months.

So far, nice car.

Everyone said it was mad to swap a 63 plate lease BMW for a 1990s Saab....

But 10,000 miles and one year (nearly) later in my 9000 and I’m still the one smiling! It’s reliable (mostly) comfortable, eats up the miles, can embarrass moderns at the traffic lights, swallow all the family stuff and tip runs etc... and for less than three monthly payments!

I’ve kinda got the Saab bug methinks.

Off to SaabFest in it this weekend.

I don’t think it’s just a Saab thing tbh. I’ve been well into Swedish cars most of my life, even as a kid I used to collect matchbox, Corgi etc etc models of Volvo’s and Saab’s! I got my first Volvo at the age of 18 and only been without one once for a short period ever since.

Volvo’s have an equally serious loyal fan base too, most of them know and love the cars and swear by them.

Although I’m firmly a Volvo man I can certainly relate to the Saab loyalty. Though with Volvo’s you don’t tend to have that sporty element to them! I’ll not be without a 740 ever again!

Swedish cars are built to keep you alive. They'd lose most of their customer base to hypothermia if they did a vauxhall in the middle of nowhere at minus 30c.

It somehow shows in how they feel and drive.

Saab bought. I was pleasantly surprised to be honest.

It's a quick thing, for a 2.0 turbo

Even Mrs Tet, who hates all cars I buy started to like it on the way home. Her only negative comment was 'I wish it was an auto'.

So do I, but you can't have everything.

No photos as yet, but the cleaning will start tomorrow, so I'll do some before and after shots.

I don't think my mate at work ever washed or hoovered the bloody thing. Definitely wants undogging.

Didn't you say you were getting a 1.8t? I have the 2.0t abs I love it. I'm sure which ever it is you will have fun.

Did your mate do too much dogging in it? Oh dear, I hate having to clean out a car after someone's been dogging in it! ????

Didn't you say you were getting a 1.8t? I have the 2.0t abs I love it. I'm sure which ever it is you will have fun.

Did your mate do too much dogging in it? Oh dear, I hate having to clean out a car after someone's been dogging in it! ????

The 9-3 petrol of that era was in the spec of 1.8t, 2.0t and 2.0T. All the same basic 2.0 engine block but with varying levels of turbos/injectors/engine map/etc bolted to it to vary the power level. IIRC it was 150/180/210bhp flavours (or something like that). Fun fact, the 2.0t (little tee) could be boosted and got the same power levels as a 2.0T, but the smaller turbo lended towards more zippy acceleration.

There was also a 1.8 n/a. That's a purely GM lump (rather than the turbo petrols by Saab) usually used in the Vectra. Dog slow, unreliable (GM) and more thirsty when cruising than the turbo Saab petrols. It existed on the utterly poverty spec 9-3 to shift cars out cheaply for fleet/rental market.

Yeah, strange one. It's badged up as a 1.8t, but is actually a 2 litre !!

If you were to see my mate, dogging thoughts wouldn't even enter your head. What has been seen cannot be unseen.

The jury's still out on this car. It drives fine, it's quiet and it's quick, but it's a manual. You may ask 'why did you buy it then'?

If I hadn't, I'd be forever wondering what I missed. I don't like that airbag light being on. I like a car I can fix myself. I had a cheapo scanner for my old '97 Volvo, and it worked a treat. I think I'll get some pics up soon.

The 9-3 petrol of that era was in the spec of 1.8t, 2.0t and 2.0T. All the same basic 2.0 engine block but with varying levels of turbos/injectors/engine map/etc bolted to it to vary the power level. IIRC it was 150/180/210bhp flavours (or something like that). Fun fact, the 2.0t (little tee) could be boosted and got the same power levels as a 2.0T, but the smaller turbo lended towards more zippy acceleration.

There was also a 1.8 n/a. That's a purely GM lump (rather than the turbo petrols by Saab) usually used in the Vectra. Dog slow, unreliable (GM) and more thirsty when cruising than the turbo Saab petrols. It existed on the utterly poverty spec 9-3 to shift cars out cheaply for fleet/rental market.

I am aware of the controversy over tunings of the 2.0t/T/HOT

My 2.0t is registered wrong according to the engine code on the chassis number!

Before 1.8t there was a 2.0 n/a, I didn't realise the 1.8t was a 2.0 too, that's worth looking into as the whole lot of engine choices was bloody confusing!

My 2.0t was advertised as 154hp, whereas the actual model is 150hp. It's not a metric/imperial difference, it's an engine management difference: the earlier T5 ECM was higher peak power but the later T7 had less peak power but a lot more under the graph (more Torquier)

On the DVLA it's down as a big T; 185 hp.

I had a Noobtune, it now supposedly makes 220 bhp, similar to the HOT (High Output Turbo)

The only physical difference was the software, maybe the spark plugs.

Then there was the crazy Viggen, with a bigger turbo which served to increase turbo lag...

Yeah, strange one. It's badged up as a 1.8t, but is actually a 2 litre !!

If you were to see my mate, dogging thoughts wouldn't even enter your head. What has been seen cannot be unseen.

The jury's still out on this car. It drives fine, it's quiet and it's quick, but it's a manual. You may ask 'why did you buy it then'?

If I hadn't, I'd be forever wondering what I missed. I don't like that airbag light being on. I like a car I can fix myself. I had a cheapo scanner for my old '97 Volvo, and it worked a treat. I think I'll get some pics up soon.

I prefer manual, but if you like auto then that's your preference! I love my manual on our open Welsh roads!

Quick, quiet, comfy, agreed :) Airbag light, though, I'm sure you can get that sorted either by tinkering or otherwise.

I had a Noobtune, it now supposedly makes 220 bhp, similar to the HOT (High Output Turbo)

The only physical difference was the software, maybe the spark plugs.

Then there was the crazy Viggen, with a bigger turbo which served to increase turbo lag...

I think you're confusing the newer B207 engine with the older B204/B205/etc. The B207 was a completely new design that came out on the 9-3NG and used the Tronic 8 ECU.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine

The older engine had origins with the Triumph Slant-4 as you probably already know: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_H_engine

The Saab 9-5 carried on using that linage until the Saab 9-5NG.

I think you're confusing the newer B207 engine with the older B204/B205/etc. The B207 was a completely new design that came out on the 9-3NG and used the Tronic 8 ECU.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine

The older engine had origins with the Triumph Slant-4 as you probably already know: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_H_engine

The Saab 9-5 carried on using that linage until the Saab 9-5NG.

Without digging into the literature, (its way to early for that, still not had my requisite tea dose) I think cars of my generation were on the T5 or T7, mine being the T7. (Bnumbers... oh dear) However, I'm not going to swear on that as like I said it's all quite confusing and it's too early!

Suffice it to say that my car goes like shite off a hot shovel when asked and wafts around effortless the rest of the time!

Mine is the 9-3OG, so I guess it makes sense.

Airbag light fixed.

There's a sensor on the passenger seat rail, and the plug had pulled out, due I think, to an ice scraper that had got itself wedged under the seat.

I had to unbolt the seat and tip it backwards before I could find out where the plug went. Plugged it back in, refitted the seat, turned the ignition on, and bingo, no airbag malfunction came up on the display, and no light either.

Result.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was 2005? when the facelift happened.

I know my 54 plate was sludged up as I think SiC did the sump drop & clean when he first got it.