Announcement - Dave21478

Tayne

• 2 months later...

I drove past Dyce Caravans, Aberdeen, yesterday (where Dave worked years ago) and immediately thought of Dave. All the way home (it was an airport-run) I told my wife about Dave's stories and 'incidents'.

Did we have an update in another thread as to what happened and why he'd gone to the hospital? Had he maybe taken ill on the way home afterwards?

Iirc (what was said on here) he was driving back from the hospital and hospital discharge papers were in the car. He came off the road in his Metro and hit a tree. No other vehicles were involved. Was alive at the side of the road and talking to the paramedics. Diverted to a bigger hospital rather than the local one as his injuries were bad. Died enroute.

I guess we'll never know why he came off the road. Tiredness? Swerving another car? Mechanical failure? Could be anything. The person that likely would have known is sadly no longer with us.

One of the things I remember is how he had a lot of classic Minis over the time. Of course the Metro likely had an A-Series engine in too. When I'm posting on here about my 1100, I often wonder what his replies to my thread would have been.

Sadly it does make me wonder about the merits of driving old crap.

I know nothing of the circumstances of Dave's accident but still can't help but wonder if he would have been okay in something more crash worthy.

Still miss his posts.

You have to accept the risk with older stuff, as you do if riding a motorbike. Not sure it's worth pondering might-haves.

Problem is had it gone the other way, we would have had a post where the hub came off after a quick mcdonalds, so he found a verge, and re-attached it with 2 bolts he found in the verge and a shoelace and limped it home, whereby the heating was on the blink so the car got shoved in the barn and the heating fixed with a slice of ham and a hammer...

You have to accept the risk with older stuff, as you do if riding a motorbike. Not sure it's worth pondering might-haves.

I used to ride bikes and drive deathtraps (a rotten Transit with no bulkhead carrying a ton of brick rubble springs to mind).

I think Parenthood changed that as now my killing myself in a preventable way has big consequences for other people whereas before I was a bit "meh".

That is not to say that the loss of a single person is any less tragic.

Oof... Came here, as there was a funny quote from the late Dave on the THSTF thread, and now I feel so gutted for his loved ones and for you all.

What a great chap. Rest in peace.

Just a little taster. Thanks to GarethJ for making many of these easy to find.

http://autoshite.com/topic/32648-little-book-of-davenumbers/page-1

Don’t feel bad Louise, his return appointment at the doctors was for 10 days ahead as the hospital people didn’t regard it as serious.

The best answer anybody will give is that he fell asleep at the wheel.

He’d had a week of cold/flu and not sleeping, the autopsy found no medical malady and the car had gone straight on at a corner with no signs of braking to impact the tree at less than the posted limit (50km/h I think).

• 1 year later...

Funniest man on here, and that take's some doing.

He could build and repair things  to a high standard.

And his bodges were even better.

I almost invited him to stay at my house whilst he repaired the Ranger, but thought the distance was too far.

Regret that now as he went all the way to Scotland .

We pm'd now and then. He didn't suffer fools gladly.

• 1 year later...