Announcement - Dave21478

Tayne

Sad times.,

Was reading one of his posts out to a work colleague when I saw the pinned thread.

I hope there is somewhere to post grumps in the afterlife... 

I'm still in disbelief over this.

Just waiting for him to turn up in the grumpy thread having a rant about how terrible his weekend was.

Same. I keep thinking that we will get a message about how there was a loss in translation and he was just injured. :/

This has knocked me for six. I still can't believe it.

I don't think DaveNumbers and I interacted much, and I know I irritated him about something at one time so I might even have been on his blocked list, but I read Dave's posts and enjoyed them. Little bit fascinated by the set up of his job in France and liked hearing about all the stuff related to that. Also was dead chuffed for him (and impressed at his bravery) over the BurgerKing girl at the time, even if it didn't end up working out.

I just can't get my head round it. Obviously feel a bit rubbish about dismissing his recent blood clot as nothing out of the ordinary following a nose bleed, but it was based upon genuine personal experience.

Sympathies to all of his friends and family. I too wasn't aware he was as young as he was and it sure does make you think.

Thanks Tayne for keeping us updated, I know it probably isn't really any of my business but knowing a little bit of what happened has helped with getting my head round the actual happening, if not the whys or hows :(

Don't stress about re-posting his health concerns, his family know as I told them.

I work with Dave's sister and was told on Sunday morning that she wouldn't be in owing to what had happened, knowing I would have to inform all of you I had a look through his posts and found the health concerns and hospital visit.

I deduced that the hospital visit had to be prior to the car accident so agonised over whether to say anything, as I've been to hospital and left without paperwork I decided I had to let her know.

When i spoke to her on Sunday night i asked if i could inform you all and I asked if she knew he had been unwell, I was told that there were hospital discharge papers in the car but I was also asked what information I could provide.

After a brief explanation I emailed over links to his last posts and the content link.

I think, under they circumstances, having that link to all his content has provided some comfort.

I don't feel its my place to speculate what happened, I'm keeping a respectful distance at this point and will let you know when I know any more.

All we can do is remember the smiles Dave gave us, it is not our place to speculate anything. He was the Autoshite 'Fred Dribble', turning improbable objects in to something to do a specific job he was working on, now that takes serious skill. He was a man of many talents, and we were all jealous of his skills. My thoughts are with his family, losing someone close is devastating, I've been through that myself, and that day still haunts me. 

Thanks, Tayne, it obviously has been very difficult for you and I'm certain everyone on here appreciates that. Speculation is, as you suggested, not the best thing and all we can do is hope poor Dave didn't suffer much.

Meanwhile, Ben (who used to be on here) has asked to pass on his condolences and says how sorry he is to hear the news.

I first had an inkling of the news on FB that someone had died, so came here to check. On seeing ‘Announcement – Dave21478’ I just felt sick. NO, not Dave, surely?

Like others have already written more eloquently, I often laughed at the situations he got into, and  the amusing, self-deprecating way he wrote about them. I was always impressed (and slightly jealous) of his fixing abilities, and admired his ‘have a go’ attitude of sometimes starting repairs that by his own admission he didn’t have a clue how he was going to complete! I get the impression he didn’t have a piece of paper saying so, but I’m in no doubt he was a true engineer.

I too will miss the Scotsman in France who I never met.

I’ve only just seen this and can’t believe it. His posts here were brilliant, real warmth but always with a fantastic sense of humour.

The sort of guy that if you were down the pub with him, you would stay through to closing time just laughing the whole time and then still smiling the following morning.

Tayne, thanks for posting this. It must have been awful and I can’t imagine how his family and close friends must feel. I miss him and I hardly knew him.

Fucking hell.

Really gutted to hear this, Dave was like an Autoshite MacGyver, responsible for some brilliant stuff on here over the years, the MGF collection and subsequent LHD conversion and the Panda rescue being standouts. His gallows humour gave me some great laughs too. The world is a poorer more vanilla place for his loss.

RIP to a legend and thoughts and best wishes to his family. :(

Ah fuck. Always enjoyed Dave's posts even if he was being a grumpy sod, he often could do so knowing that the rest of us would get a chuckle out of it.

I'm going to have to look through a few more of his engineering threads now, I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck in those for days

Also hadn't realised he was so young, from the general level of grumpiness I had him at about 55, haha.