9-5 Aero Sans MOT - would make good tent - £3 a ticket

Ohdearme

Oh, the bitter irony...

So I thought it prudent to see if I could budge the hub but before unbolting every other bit of the car only to fall at the last hurdle and lo and behold...

...it moved! The long breaker bar shifted the nut and it came away easily enough.

Excellent, thinks I, all I need do now is unbolt those torx on the calliper that has been stewing in penetrating fluid for two days and I’m in business.

Oh yes! Says, I! Oh no! says SAAB.

Can I move the torx nuts at all? Can I balls...

I now need heat, which means more spending and I’m leaning towards giving it to a garage to sort out as I’ve got a kids party tomorrow so will get the sun total of nowt done on it.

Hmmm...anyone near Castleford got an impact wrench I can borrow?

Edit o add, my local motor factors came up trumps with the torx sockets, cheapest on Amazon )£12, got some for £7, keepbit local and keep ‘em alive folks!

post-23468-0-45106000-1537037083_thumb.jpeg

Had another crack at the thing tonight and moderate further progress was made by not enough to actually fix it.

Pain in the arse is getting the bottom ball joint bolts out without an impact wrench, I managed o free them all up to move but couldn’t jiggle enough spanners and grips to keep the bolt still and spin the nut.

Managed to free off the caliper carrier T20 with a 16mm socket and breaker bar, just to get it moving then used a proper torx to take it off but even with carrier and brake disc removed and out of my way, I couldn’t get my arms and head in there enough to get them off.

Times like this I wish I had a third car again...I need to be driving tomorrow so had to reassemble it all and my lower arm bolts are not tight, luckily my local garage is literally a one minute drive round the corner, so I’ll pop in on way to work and ask them to tighten up on the promise of said vehicle returning for a horrifying list of mot required things to do before the 13th October.

Other half will not be impressed at the impending spendtacular.

Other jobs I did manage to do to cheer myself up.

Checked the brake fluid with my testy pen - 1% moisture so no need to change just yet.

Also gaffer taped up a crack in the arch liner, it’s totally pointless as the tape will be off in a week but I needed to achieve something this evening after swearing at rusty bolts all night.

post-23468-0-70589700-1537215239_thumb.jpeg

post-23468-0-58146500-1537215340_thumb.jpeg

post-23468-0-37383100-1537215353_thumb.jpeg

Well at least you tried! And you know a bit more about how your car is put together.

I have to do the discs and pads on my 9-5 before the next MOT so will be re-reading this later. I limit my personal spannering to "consumables" nowadays.

No matter how many tools you have got, you never have the one you need. :(

i haven’t quite given up!

I got them to free off the bottom torx bolt holding the ball joint in so I can free that off and have one final crack myself when I get home..,

They covered it in penetrating spray so it should spin off easily.

Might need to chop out and replace the control arm bolts as they’re shot too, rusted and then rounded - lovely!

Mot is due so it’s booked in for a couple of weeks, will see what I manage to do myself before then.

Well at least you tried! And you know a bit more about how your car is put together.

I have to do the discs and pads on my 9-5 before the next MOT so will be re-reading this later. I limit my personal spannering to "consumables" nowadays.

No matter how many tools you have got, you never have the one you need. :(

Brakes aren’t too bad.

T20 female socket to remove the caliper

Mine had thread lock on so needed starting with a 16mm socket and breaker bar (careful not to chew the head)

Bit of banging/persuasion to remove caliper

#30 Torx screw holds the disc in place

Simples!

I think this car isn’t the best place I could have put my £950 into an Aero, I decided to at least swap front and rear wheels around as the fronts have the wrong profile and the idea of having a speedo telling me a more accurate view of my speed seems a good idea.

Have a 250 mike drive on Monday and I was therefore pleased to find a honking great nail in the otherwise ok tyre.

Annoyingly, it is in one of the tyres that is the correct profile for the car, so at some point I need to shell out for 4 new tyres so sort the profiles and nail.

I bought a bottom ball joint so I could take out the old one and sort the cv boot but I don’t have time so it’s booked in for somewhere else to do it on 1st October.

I also had a fiddle with the rear headlamp sensor, it is rusty so I unclipped and moved the arm to a new position as a test but the light still came on, although I’ve noticed a large rumble/grumbly noise at the front like the motor is trying to level and is stuck.

Therefore probably another not cheap fix. I haven’t the heart to do all the bushes I bought as the general rustiness of everything has barked me at the minute.

Truth be told, my mood isn’t great as I came in to wash my hands and have just spent ten minutes with my hand under the cold tap thanks to my missus randomly leaving a bowl of boiling hot water in the sink (she’d been melting honey apparently) into which I plunged my dirty hands assuming it was just tap water in the bowl.

and then screamed in bloody agony.

Stands at the front of the car listening for the headlights, it’s also clear the front exhaust is blowing like a trooper.

Marvellous times :)

I think the natural answer is to get a third car so I can spend the right time with the SAAB in bits.

post-23468-0-14617300-1537635008_thumb.jpeg

If the blow in the front of the exhaust turns out to be the flexi pipe behind the gearbox just book it in somewhere. The best price I could find for the part was £130, a local exhaust place did the job for £129.95.

• 2 weeks later...

One imagines I am back in the breaker business and looking for new transport...

The nice garage have suggested they wouldn’t even know how to price for that amount of work plus the flexi containing the cat is a bit of a price killer.

Oh, what to do - breaking on the drive is the answer and then weighing the rest of it in.

Cartakeback says £203 but I can get that for di cassette, Aero spoiler and other bits alone.

If anybody wants a ruinous project to work on, do let me know, otherwise I’ll be chopping it up :D

List of death in full, I knew some of these beforehand but put it in for test to get a full list before committing more spends to it.

Fails!

Ball joint knackered

Tyre showing cord on inside edge (thanks to ball joint)

Major exhaust leak on flexi (inc cat)

Cv boot split

Anti rollbar link ball joint worn out near side front

Parking brake on top notch

Subframe bushes nearsife front worn

Subframe bushes offside front worn

Rear nearside rose bush worn

Rear offside bush worn

Oh and a few keep your eyes on...

Nail in tyre

Gearbox mounting defective front (explains the thunk I thought was worn bushes into gear)

Chip on windscreen borderline advisory.

It’s got ticket for 13 days but I ain’t going to be moving it, I fear.

Doesn't sound too horrendous, but if you're bailing it you might as well buy Bram's 156

It's time thing as much as money, can't be having it off the road to get stuff done, it's been an ok car but there are other things starting to pop up and it's that debate of good money after bad.

The body work on rear arches needs attention. One side bubbling, the other is pokey finger hole, it's also started to take longer to fire of later when turning over and most unforgivably, there's a hot spot in the heated seat that burns a bit of my thigh when on full.

Hooli's 9-5 is round the corner from me and probably a decent bet (and I've a ready spares pile on the drive now) so I've messaged, although getting back in another Alfa is tempting, car needs to be auto as the wife doesn't understand three pedal arrangements.

One imagines I am back in the breaker business and looking for new transport...

The nice garage have suggested they wouldn’t even know how to price for that amount of work plus the flexi containing the cat is a bit of a price killer.

Oh, what to do - breaking on the drive is the answer and then weighing the rest of it in.

Cartakeback says £203 but I can get that for di cassette, Aero spoiler and other bits alone.

If anybody wants a ruinous project to work on, do let me know, otherwise I’ll be chopping it up :D

List of death in full, I knew some of these beforehand but put it in for test to get a full list before committing more spends to it.

Fails!

Ball joint knackered

Tyre showing cord on inside edge (thanks to ball joint)

Major exhaust leak on flexi (inc cat)

Cv boot split

Anti rollbar link ball joint worn out near side front

Parking brake on top notch

Subframe bushes nearsife front worn

Subframe bushes offside front worn

Rear nearside rose bush worn

Rear offside bush worn

Oh and a few keep your eyes on...

Nail in tyre

Gearbox mounting defective front (explains the thunk I thought was worn bushes into gear)

Chip on windscreen borderline advisory.

It’s got ticket for 13 days but I ain’t going to be moving it, I fear.

Doesn't look too bad! Tyres, ball joint, flexi (speak to Hooli where he got his sorted) and bushes. Handbrake possibly just needs adjusting, or is the linkage seized?

Are the bushes the same as the 9-3? If so - you may have an out for them if you do decide to bail......... I am also chasing a 9-5 manual estate. I just don't have the time to take this on too....... sorry. 

If you're really stuck for time I sympathise. The amount of time my horrors spend waiting in line defied belief...... 

Apart from the Flexi - the rest could be a weekend thrash easily...... couldn't it?

I think subframe bushes are subframe out, I've heard of people doing on the drive but I'd rather not. The flexi doesn't have the cat on mine, hence the local exhaust place did it for the same price I could buy the part.

You should buy mine and fix yours so you've got a spare*

Subframe bushes may be a subframe out job ? Not a driveway task id say

There's a workaround by leaving one bolt partially in and using a jack to press the sub frame up and force the bushes in, one by one. That's fine with a four post lift, less so with a couple of axle stands.

Thing is, the car also needs a bunch of consumables like 4x tyres, the two rear are the wrong size, the two front, one is ruined thanks to dodgy suspension, one has a whopping nail in it.

The trouble with it being a weekends work is not getting a weekend, got two kids at 2 and 3 that require significantly more maintenance than the Aero and I'm in the middle of renovating a kitchen, etc. so time is not my friend.

Dad has come good by providing a loan of his second car, a prime 2002 Mazda 323, whilst I'm debating what to do with the Saab.

He remarked to be careful as it is quite brisk being a 1.4 70bhp, I nodded sagely and said nowt about the 250bhp prowess of my admittedly unwell 9-5 (best not to piss on a mans chips, esp when free car on offer).

I can confirm it sounds* quite brisk, making quite a lot noise on it's way to an eventual 60mph or so.

As you can see, it has the standard giffer whack at the back bumper, caused by pops reversing into the house and the expensive carpet offcut floor mat option and seat bobble cushion for mam.

EML light is iffy, something to do with auto choke as it never goes anywhere long distance and the accelerator pedal rests half a yard further in the box than the brake but otherwise fine although ashtray fuse is bust.

post-23468-0-92351200-1538427368_thumb.jpeg

post-23468-0-76518500-1538427388_thumb.jpeg

post-23468-0-11260300-1538427412_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

After the recent mot failure and the one day to myself to strip bits being fubar-ed by the weather, I have realised I haven’t the time or inclination to fix this thing or even part it out for clawing back some cash.

The scrapman says £184 so for anyone that is handy with a spanner this will roffle at £3 a pop.

It is driveable to a prebooked mot and taxed until end of October but a big pothole will likely have the balljoint out and there’s some cord on the tyres so I’d suggest trailering.

What’s good?

Interior is heated front and rear and mint condition leather

It’s an aero with a pretty ful service history

Oils changed every 12,000 miles

Air con refassed in August

Atf fluid changed and cooler pipes replaced

250bhp

Bad

Ball joint needed passenger side

Drop link passenger side

New Tyres all round needed

Front bushes needed (£50 for poly bushes but a sub frame drop job)

Exhaust blowing on cat section

Bubbling on one arch, small poke hole in other

Rear rose bushes need replacing ~£50 diy

Chip on screen but not flagged at mot

Headlamp levelling sensor not working but not flagged on mot

Gearbox mount broken.

Sometimes a little slow to fire but never fails to start.

Split cv boot

Ref is SV04 FLK if you wish to sniff further.

Roffle will roll around until month end and then I’ll want the thing on the scrapmans lorry.

£3 a pop

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154712858@N02/shares/uofXg0

If yours is changing gears nicely, pull out the valve body in the gearbox (easy to remove) and buy Hoolis. Then fit your valve body in that to fix the gearbox in it. Remap it and it'd be near enough to your Aero performance wise.

Gears swap fine on mine, I can see me shifting this and then winning Hoolis...