Surprise Kolleckted - P38 Content....

83C

On the RR's Wabco system it only goes out after driving a few yards, i.e. when it is in motion.

Most MoT testers know that, at least all I encountered.

Aye, my classics were the same. Nowt to worry about.

On the RR's Wabco system it only goes out after driving a few yards, i.e. when it is in motion.

Most MoT testers know that, at least all I encountered.

You’d think that I’d have remembered that, given this is my 2nd P38....

The ABS light thingy is normal. Wabco, you know.

I think mine is some sort of *special edition, probably an expensive extra, as the light stays on all the time to make the dashboard more *attractive :)

Ah bastard, I think it's broken, it does go off like everyone else's it seems, at least for today ;)

Woke up this afternoon and decided to attack the P38. Last night the engine got rather hot and I'd had a few worries over it being too hot and damaging something. Checked the oil, still nice and golden, no mayo, so I fired it up and the engine settled straight away to a nice steady burble  :-D

Next, tackling the lack of coolant.

post-20339-0-86893200-1532723459_thumb.jpg

Yeah, thats buggered.

Chopped the hose off to rejoin it but the clouds closed in, so I went to see a mate who used to run P38s instead, where I landed up dismantling a Yamaha outboard with him and driving his L322 Range Rover to try and pin down why the fuel consumption (Td6) is so poor. 

Going to order a new hose set (bodging the old one back on is just to keep it mobile until I have a few hours to fit a whole new set), and replace the thermostats too - might as well while i'm in there. 

Just sold mine after 12 years relatively trouble free motoring. Two FTP's in that time-one under the car port and the other had to be recovered-both to do with drivers door lock. I have recently found the best P83 guy ever (wish i had found him earlier)  Iain McKee-based in Pontypool-has quite a few customers from London   - he's on facebook as     We 'R' P38 DieselServices. Very nice guy, cheap compared to others and really knows his stuff.

Bought a motorhome, sold caravan so no longer need the Rangie-use the Senator and Royale as dailys.

Here's mine performing its duties magnificently.

H8OFJJT.jpg

Steve

Going to order a new hose set (bodging the old one back on is just to keep it mobile until I have a few hours to fit a whole new set), and replace the thermostats too - might as well while i'm in there. 

Great stuff.

With that kind of can-do attitude you can stick me down for a random. Maybe two

Nice looking motor, there.

All these P38s popping up around here is making me somewhat envious.

I keep thinking about one but just before I buy one a little voice says .... "don't do it, it'll break and steal all your money, be sensible."

So I get a grip of myself and stop looking at them, but the nagging feeling remains.

I do want a P38.

Great interior indeed. While the P38 isn't necessarily my cup of tea, I can easily understand why people would like them. Personally I'd go with a (non BMW) V8 L322, not quite sure if that would be the better or worse choice though, knowing the reputation...

Keep us updated on your progress with it!

A CSK is still my ‘wishlist’ RR, as much as I’d like a YVB-H development car they’re all museum pieces now. The P38 is now well understood and to my mind falls in the same category as my GTOs - not as complex as everyone thinks, just a reputation that scares people off.

post-20339-0-26222700-1533019818_thumb.jpg

Hose bodged and re-attached, filled with coolant and taken for a drive, this was the (eventual) result. 

Wasn't quite as simple as that though....

Initially I refitted the hoses, then filled the coolant some of the way before removing a smoll hose from a bleed nipple at the top of the top of the radiator. Allegedly the way to fill a P38 with coolant is to start the engine, and keep filling it up with coolant until it comes out of the bleed nipple. Reattach the hose, chuck the header tank cap back on and in theory job jobbed. 

Er, no. 

The coolant started to bubble and boil before it reached the top of the rad, and a small jet of steam was escaping from the bleed nipple. Having switched the engine off and let it all settle down I shoved the hose back on to the nipple, topped the header tank up and took it for a drive. After half a mile the temp marched right over to the hot side, going from steady at half-way on the gauge to fully over in a couple of seconds. Turned around, took it back home and cracked the header tank cap to let the pressure get out. Topped it up again, and took it out again. Same result, absolutely fine for half a mile and then marching straight into the red. This time I carried on another half mile to see a mate who has had a few P38s. I switched it off for around 3 mins, and upon starting again the temp was back to half way. The header tank did its usual fizzing and bubbling when I cracked the cap. We mulled over the options for about half an hour, though we both agreed it probably wasn't head gasket failure - no mayo, no oil in the water, no steam from the exhaust. What we did reckon might be at fault was the 'heart' - the thermostat at the bottom of the rad that is a round plastic lump with 4 tubes coming from it. The rad itself looks fairly new, the fan works and the water pump is quiet, but the heart looks rather old.

I took it home, and refilled with water without the engine running. I then ran the engine just enough to take the water level down in the header tank, and topped up again. I repeated this a few times until water flowed out of the bleed nipple on the rad, then I put it back together and went for a drive - 2 miles covered with temperature staying firmly half way around the gauge. I had to stop work at this point but I'm cautiously optimistic that the problem was an air lock in the system (possibly combined with a dodgy thermostat). When I next get chance I'll take it for a good 10 mile run and see what happens....

Nice save.... getting all the old hoses swapped out and thermostat sorted will lift a weight off for sure.... I'v never seen a P38 not go wrong on one* of the usuals. Not more than that - it's like they make a conscious decision to choose electrical, cooling or airbag issue and relentlessly empty your wallet using preferred method.

Mine was the claret red metallic - lovely looking thing for the grand total of £500 - served me well, of course the airbags left me looking like a twat on one journey - but would definitely have another.

How many hose are involved in the total* overhaul you'll be attacking? Access must be a bloody nightmare.....

I think theres 8 in total, they don't look too twatty to get to - looking at the 'heart' I think the trick is to attach the more awkward hoses before fitting it, and thread the hoses that need to go up the o/s of the block into position. I'll take the hard pipes off too and give them a quick rub down and paint.

I tried cleaning off the inlet manifold too but the finish has peeled off, I'm tempted to whip it off and give it a good coating of silver aluminium paint once the rest of the car is sorted.