Ford Transit MK1 1700 V4 Help Needed!

Burnside

Back in 1973 My Grandad brought a brand new Ford Transit 1700 V4 Custom SWB panel Van.  It was converted about 5 years later into a camper by a company called Motorhomes International. Anybody Know anything about them?

Well 45 years later he still has it!

Though it's not looking in showroom condition having spent over 30 years in his back garden.  :-(

Can anybody point me in the direction of where best to get engine service parts, i.e water pump, ignition leads as both for starters have fell apart. 

My Grandad and my Dad would like to try and get this running again but as it hasn't ran since possibly the early 90's. I think it might be a struggle.

Also what's the best things to try and free the engine if it won't turn over [ though haven't even tried as yet ].

I've hidden the number plate as my Grandad is a private person and as yet he undecided about what to do with it. 

post-3802-0-77296400-1532558009_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-86698800-1532558295_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-70042700-1532558056_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-84628600-1532558248_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-08496200-1532558077_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-45539300-1532558195_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-23497300-1532558220_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-88251000-1532558033_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-00616000-1532558104_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-06588800-1532558122_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-76341500-1532558170_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-01234300-1532558271_thumb.jpg

Diesel down the bores and leave for a couple of weeks prior to gently trying to turn over by hand. Considering that is a 45 year old Ford which has spent 30 years neglected in a garden, I'm truly amazed that there's anything left. Bodily , it doesn't look half bad; the doors have actual bottoms and there's still enough metal to hold glass in.

Underside looks crumbly and likely to involve some serious commitment with a sparkle stick and fabrication skillz. It wouldn't be cheap, although old Transits are worth strong money anyway.

Do you or your grandfather know a decent welder? If not, could be worth trying to get the old girl up and running again and at least mobile, which will help regardless.

I really hope he gets it fixed up and enjoys it once again.

At the very least, post up some update photos and videos of any work you do!

That's pretty incredible for an old Transit, anything more than a rust stained vin tag is a bonus, I guess being a camper it didn't see much winter salt, probably an awful lot of work but quite likely worth doing especially when you factor the sentiment thing. How awesome would it be to fit an RO80 lump, whatever the expense.

As said - diesel in the bores.... I'd be draining the sump - possible to remove it in situ and clean everything properly as pump will need cleaning out/replacement for 'proper' turning over? Whatever it was parked up with will be well mullered by now.....

Slow turn by hand for first few goes..... see if it4s sticking anywhere.

If all good...... leave plugs out and truck battery to kick it over a bit - plenty of lubrication - but stand clear and cover the sides with anything you can throw away as it'll get spattered.

I'd not expect the carb to be any good without serious work either - so turning over without anything locking or grinding to a halt is about the best you can aim for - for now.

Very best of luck..... it looks like its survived amazingly well under that tarp!

You could try:

http://www.newpartsonline.co.uk/

They are based in Abbey Village between Bolton and Preston. I know nothing about them except that they have been there since Adam was

a lad !

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Abbey+Village,+Chorley+PR6+8DA/@53.7003549,-2.5561348,13z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487b0ad04e8794d9:0x5f4e873ae8ca2cb!8m2!3d53.700343!4d-2.54738

Given what these old beasts are worth these days I reckon that's eminently saveable. Not without significant expenditure of time and money though unfortunately.

Engine wise, nothing to add that others haven't already said really. If you get to the stage of spinning it over on the starter and there's no water in the cooling system (which I'm assuming there isn't) I'd whip the belt off so the water pump doesn't get run dry - even though it's probably a leaker by now anyway, sometimes stuff like this will surprise you.

If it was a more common less valuable vehicle I'd be a bit more daring about it, but with these being this rare it makes sense to be reasonably cautious and patient.

Thank's everyone for the replies so far, greatly appreciated. 

Ralph's old ford spares, PM me for his contact details, he has or can find most transit stuff. You might want to sit down when you hear what mk1 wings are selling for these days...

Thank's for that will PM you in due course.

That's a bit frilly round the edges, diesel down the bores for a long soak but also drain the sump before attempting to turn it over by hand.   

Converted van as campers are for winners, here's a non-Transit one with gearbox/diff full of water. Thanks for the genny.

post-7239-0-93598800-1402474611.jpg

Liking the look of that Renault Traffic, it seam's like a tidy motor. Especially compared to the Transit! Any plan's for it?

Agree with the Camper Conversion, this Conversion has given them alot of happy family memories. No problem with the Genny hope it does you a good turn and nice meeting you last sunday. Hope the journey back went ok.

Looking at it again, it looks way too tidy to have been sat in a garden for 30 years. The grass around it doesn’t look to have been covered for long, and they tyres still have air in them. Was it dry stored for a chunk of that time?

Well I think to start with it was kept under the car port. Then it was moved into the Garden. Problem was it use to sink into the grass. So my Grandad had a winch that he used to use for moving it back and forth to stop it sinking. Before digging up the Garden and filling it with rubble to prevent it happening. 

I'm 34 now and he brought a Brand new mini Metro 1.3 HLE in the same year,1983 that I was born in. It came off the road some time after that. Prior to the Metro it was there only vehicle and used everyday. I have never seen or remember seeing this on the road as I kid. I just remember it always being in the back Garden. 

The story goes to my knowledge that it came off the road to have the Drives Wing and sill's repaired / replaced. A local chap offered to do the work if my Grandad removed the wing etc, as he hadn't the room at his place to do so. After my Grandad removed all the parts etc he tried to get in touch with him to do the welding. After about 3 weeks of trying he found out the poor sad had passed away. So as my Grandad had alot on with caring for my disabled Uncle who was in and out of Hospital at the time. It got put aside for another day!   

There is a new Drivers wing and some other panels maybe a sill that he brought at the time to repair  it. Condition and whereabouts presently unknown by myself. I'm sure they said they were genuine Ford but don't hold me to it.

The Front Doors are solid, rear's have slight rusting. Underneath was rustproofed from new. Had a look a while back and all outer edges of the support beams that run across the floor's have rotted out. Various holes on outer bodywork as pictured. Bulkhead has some small holes when I had the bonnet up. Inner Front wings rusty and passenger outer wing holed. 

Petrol Tank looks like it's been weeping. As mentioned Watar pump has had it. The pipe connecting to it has sheered off with part of the pump. Ignition Leads have fell apart. Alternator has minor movement on it's pulley when I tried it. Everything under the bonnet look's to be there bar the battery. 

Interior is in great condition. Some splitting on drivers seat. Think this has only covered about 65,000 but couldn't check as hadn't got the key when I took the pictures last week. The sheet hiding a proper pop up roof which I know used to work. Fridge, Beds and all fitting are there and from what I've seen appear good. 

Will try and get more pictures next time I vist of the Engine and Interior. oh and If I'm feeling brave underneath too. 

Carb sits in the middle of the V? replace fuel hoses otherwise there is a possibility of the V filling up with petrol and the whole lot going woof. I had a Corsair that did that :(

Thank's for the warning. Hope the Corsair survived? One of my friends inherited a Corsair about 10 years ago, sadly when he tried to rescue it from the field it had been sat in for years it just fell apart. He managed to salvage most of the trim and running gear etc for a local Corsair owner so that was a positive at least.

Found the leads,if you want them let me have your address and l,ll post them out

I have a new/old stock Q H clutch plate somewhere, when I find it you can have it for free, may take a while though. Also might be for  2 litre V4 if there's a difference.

Thank's both for doing that. I'll have a word with my Dad and Grandad first as at the moment they want me to just price up parts and seeing about trying to free the engine. 

Some retailers are still selling ford essex waterpumps for shocking prices...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-Pump-Capri-Consul-Granada-Sierra-Taunus-Reliant-Scimita-V4-V6-Essex-Engine/310806672895?hash=item485d8575ff%3Ag%3ALRoAAOxyhXRTNDan&_sop=3&_sacat=0&_nkw=Capri+water+pump&_from=R40&rt=nc

There was a period a couple of years ago where the only option was to fork out around £100... There seemed to be some price fixing going on.

Happily prices have come down and now you can get one for a far more reasonable £29.99 posted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Water-pump-Ford-Capri-Granada-3-0l-Petrol-Transit-1-7l-Petrol/183321574556?fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3ACapri%7CCars+Type%3A3.0&hash=item2aaed13c9c%3Ag%3ALdgAAOSw-0xYi2Jx&_sacat=0&_nkw=ford+capri+water+pump+3.0&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

PS looks like a great project, I'd love to have a early transit at some point.

Thank's both for doing that. I'll have a word with my Dad and Grandad first as at the moment they want me to just price up parts and seeing about trying to free the engine. 

I saw it recently during my current ongoing clear out, still in the original box. I'll up-date as and when.

Also if the pressed steel number plate light unit is corroded, which was a common defect in the day. A mark 3 Granada cast ally one is a direct fit,

Probably just as difficult to obtain though.