Early mid-life crisis: the MX5 story. ***Minor job 16/8***

fatharris

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a while, but I finally got around to dropping the MX5 off for the MOT.

As expected, it failed on a few items. Mainly welding (no surprise there!) And a brake pipe. I'd already booked it in to investigate a slow puncture on a tyre, adjust a replaced headlight and adjust the handbrake due to a caliper replacement.

Got it back today, I'm £650 lighter, but I'm glad to get the old girl back!

814590230847b6a859f527ee6cb1dac1.jpg

5783946f9f7df91e74471087fd212cb5.jpg

Typically, I've just been punted onto the night shift at work until June, so my splurging out on repairs to a convertible were ill timed. Oh well!

Can't beat tooling around with the roof down at night IMO. Better than getting the top of my bald bonce sunburnt!

Can't beat going anywhere as the sun rises with the top down and the heater on full.

I've driven a few times at 5am to Derby (95 milex) in the summer with the top down on the M6.

No greater feeling of freedom*

Or *vulnerbility

• 3 months later...

Well, not much has happened to this. I've replaced the perished speakers with some waterproof ones, they took some ridiculous bodging to fit and stay in place. Sound quality isn't the best, but they aren't blown and they cost me a tenner.

At the moment, the OSR has started sticking yet again, so a brand new caliper and new rear pads is on the way, along with some filters/sparks for a service which will help it, I'm sure.

A rust hole appeared on the front wing again, a sticker hastily applied over the top has placed the problem right at the back of my mind.

Also, the alternator appears to be struggling, occasionally the dash lights pulse and I've seen the battery light flicker a couple of times too. Be reet for a while.

Other than that, it's been a very fun and capable toy.

2e20b844144aa4df976b2c0f4905d0cb.jpg

2f597e5c4d7b9ebaeb62b03b0a08f2af.jpg