Classic car security

25v6turbo

Just had a neighbour talk to me about security for his old Land rover that he parks on his driveway.

He lives in the same road as me and is concerned about someone nicking it.

What would you suggest?he doesn,t want an alarm,but something obvious to anyone who was eyeing it up,think he disconnects a couple of things to prevent it from starting,but he lives on a steep driveway so it could be pushed down and gone,are those steering wheel discs any good?,he has no steering lock on it.

Think when he goes away he actually removes a wheel!!!

The Disklocks are the best apparently. Station lost his keys for one and it took him about two days to get it off, even with power tools and accepting that the steering wheel was going to be sacrificed. 

Alarms are completely useless, nobody ever thinks a car might be getting stolen when they hear one. I have seen cars being driven and towed through town with the alarm blaring and nobody even looks.

I can't remember who but someone here took several days to get a disclock off without the key.

Very visible and hopefully enough to make them look for an easier target.

A giant pain to keep putting on and taking off though.

Edit: Beaten to it by Richard.

The pedal boxes for land rovers are meant to be good. A friend had one on his 90 and thieves took the doors and bonnet in the night but they couldn't take the car.

Round here the Police have a defender.... Someone had the doors off it in broad daylight.

Full disklock, and a decent post in the driveway? Also park with full lock on otherwise they can still roll it onto a trailer without removing the disklock.

I use a Disklok too based on the difficulty Station had removing from his wheel. However I do believe he said there was a flaw in it that would make it easier to remove.

I guess the other thing would be to sink in a ground anchor and chain it to the floor. Would have to be obvious though, otherwise it might end up ruining the car if someone tried pulling it away. Also doesn't stop someone nicking the doors.

The pedal boxes for land rovers are meant to be good. A friend had one on his 90 and thieves took the doors and bonnet in the night but they couldn't take the car.

You can buy upgraded bolts and/or hinges for the bonnets and doors too to make them harder to nick.

I know I always say this but it saddens me that there are so many thieving gits around.  Our local Police Facebook page is full of warnings not to leave anything at all in sight of anyone ever unless you want it nicking.

I used to leave a car in a lock-up garage and got talking one day to the guy who had the next lock-up. His garage door didn't lock, and occasionally he'd park one of those RWD '80s Toyota Corollas coupes in there (AE86?). It wasn't the tidiest example, but it did work properly. His security measure was to throw a piece of cardboard on the dash that had written on it something along the lines of "Parked here because it's broken. Probably the clutch. Don't try and steal it - you'd be wasting your time".

He often came back to find the garage door open/ not how he left it. But the car was always there.

Worth trying as a free security measure?

Bloke over the road from my mum has an old land rover, parked on a busy ish road near a shit area.

He's had success with a MASSIVE HGV sized wheel clamp and a disklok.

He bought the wheel clamp after someone tried to nick it, and had started trying to send a hole saw through the center of the disklok to get at the steering wheel nut - they'd brought their own steering wheel. Luckily him and the mrs had fallen out and he was kicked out of bed so had to sleep in the caravan on the drive.

I'm surprised it's not simply been hiabbed tbh

I have a couple of the proper big metal triangular wheelclamps put on by bailiffs etc - the big heavy things with chains. Once on you would need an angle grinder to get off or lift the vehicle. Bailiffs also use smaller clamps that fit on the wheel in a vice style down at road level. I also use a heavy chain through one of the spoked wheels.

Leave it with the keys in the door one night and hide in the boot. Capture the first local hoodlum who tries to pinch it.

Using a selection of tools from your garage, extract the hangout of his hoodlum mates under duress. Take him to that location and flay him in front of them, they probably won't come back.

Or just get a disclock and ground anchor.

I use a Disklock on my Defender, and leave it parked close to a wall on full lock or arranged so that if someone tries to winch it, it'll either plunge through a fence onto the neighbours' drive or climb through a hedge into the other neighbours' garden.  Either would be inconvenient.

2 other tips:

• leave the transfer box in neutral so there's no drive.  That'll fox most people.
  • choose parking spaces where access with a hi-ab would be difficult - height restrictions are good, as are narrow roads

A Jet-lock is also a good security precaution, if not overly cheap.

Was that the one that got into the news? There was some sort of industry based around stealing bits of Land Rover when it was known that production was going to end.

Maybe... Market Bosworth, little sleepy village. The police had to put up with a bit of gentle ribbing on Facebook as they had it parked outside the police station at the time.

if it's on a steep driveway it's tricky as it could be rolled/winched onto a waiting trailer. 

so really it would seem best option is one/two security posts sunk in the ground, but it a hassle so would it get done every-time? - can you get electric ones?

Otherwise remote gates like sweetpea on RR might be a better option?

http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/201981/sweetpeas-pathetic-excuses-fixing-mr2?page=4 

Leave it with the keys in the door one night and hide in the boot. Capture the first local hoodlum who tries to pinch it.

Using a selection of tools from your garage, extract the hangout of his hoodlum mates under duress.

Or lay a new patio...

Good idea here and I have just read some of these out to the owner,who has also been told that fitting a motion sensor would be a good idea,connected to his phone and lets him know if anything is on the move,would that work?.

Only if he is nearby and happened to be cleaning his shotgun when he rushed outside.

If it's parked outside then yes, some smart home stuff would be good. For about 100 you can get a SmartThings starter kit with a hub (plugs into your router), motion sensor, open/close sensor, smart plug and a presence sensor.

Put the motion sensor in the car

Use the open/close sensor on a door (you can buy more )

Plug a lamp or siren into the plug in your house.

Tell SmartThings that when the motion sensor or open/close sensor is triggered after a certain time of day, turn the plug on and wake you up.

No subscription, no fees.