Brown Avensis. *Eyes down*

Jim Bell

Sorry tripple-eggs. Ill try and make the next one an auto.

Hey lads. Lads.

Guess what its got.

A CD player AND a tape player!!

I literally did not know whether to listen to my Dire Straits tapes or my Dire Straits CDS.

I dont think Ive ever had a car with both.

post-5435-0-69336200-1531691688_thumb.jpg

The day is done.

Shes had that many miles, drank that much petrol and is showing a staggering indicated mpg. Sure thats not accurate on this tank, but we will see at next fill up.

post-5435-0-51532800-1531691995_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-24896700-1531692014_thumb.jpg

Hardly a round trip to the Nurburgring but a fine day out. Only regret is not getting pies.

Sorry tripple-eggs. Ill try and make the next one an auto.

Hey lads. Lads.

Guess what its got.

A CD player AND a tape player!!

I literally did not know whether ti listed to my Dire Straits tapes or my Dire Straits CDS.

I dont think Ive ever had a car with both.

attachicon.gif20180715_200552.jpg

Forgot to say the Pity, thank you and AHH FUUUK buttons along the bottom of the radio seem to be inoperative. I pressed them at the appropriate times but didn't do anything. Soz. There was no handbook so just assumed these sensible Japs would label the controls correctly and they'd work.

Well played Jim.

Despite being a perpetual VAG fanboy and then latterly being corrupted by the AS massive and buying an elderly Volvo (How did that even happen?) I've owned a fair amount of Jap mobiles, all of which have been genuinely almost trouble free. They reached their zenith around the era this was made. 100% win.

So, after 250 odd miles, what do I think?

I really like it (though I always say that).

Its massively comfortable, well equiped but still oddly base ish spec (no cruise and kung fu windows in the back). It bools along well at almost breaking the law speeds but is very slow under the boot. I suppose its a big car with a 1.8 n/a at the end of the day so you lie in the bed youve made. Overtaking folk on the single lane A69 took a bit of forward planning and intestinal fortitude. The room in the boot/back with the seats down is unfathomably cavernous. I reckon you could get a wardrobe on there. A big one.

I didnt throw it round too hard in the twisties but it seems competent enough.

All it all, I really like it. Economy is a trade off against performance in this case and thats fine by me.

The car itself is mega tidy and looks really impressive up close. Im sure the polish Mr Cade gave it helps but the colour really glows in the light. Everything works and barring a head scratching moment where I couldnt find the pez cap release (who the uptown funk thought it would be a sensible idea to stick that on the inside of the drivers door?!), all the controls and buttons are sensibly placed and Japanese.

I see nothing I dont like and will give it the best three months of its life*.

Forgot to say the Pity, thank you and AHH FUUUK buttons along the bottom of the radio seem to be inoperative. I pressed them at the appropriate times but didn't do anything. Soz. There was no handbook so just assumed these sensible Japs would label the controls correctly and they'd work.

Fair enough. My mind was fucking boggled that you could FAST FORWARD A TAPE from the steering wheel controls?!

Mega!!!

Just remembered I forgot to give you the arseol I got mixed up in matching brown. I had to touch in 3 of the 4 corners due to giffer garage/bumper interfaces- was going to tackle the slightly faded bit above the grille,and the wrinkle on the nearside dogleg but never got round tuit.

Does it have a hidden cubby hole in the drivers right hand side arm rest like the Mk1?

Found that just in time* while looking for the locking wheel nut key on my friends missus' Mk1, literally as he started smashing merry fuck out of the lock nut with a chisel.

I dunno..wheres it hidden and Ill have a hunt tmorrow.