Brown Avensis. *Eyes down*

Jim Bell

You can see the big flap (;)) in the background here. Reversed for the yank market though obvs.

Why set your sights as low as sweets? There could be diamonds in there... or Nazi gold.... maybe even a sausage roll!

maxresdefault.jpg

If theres diamonds in theyre Im buying everyone sausage rolls.

One thing I did notice: the steering locks snapped and someones had a mysterious foreign object right up the ignition key slot at some point. The slot is a bit stretched and mis-shapen (ooo Matron).

Some people are prize pricks. Leave turn of the century Toy Yodas alone please vandals.

Why set your sights as low as sweets? There could be diamonds in there... or Nazi gold.... maybe even a sausage roll!

It's just back from Calais... There could be a whole family in there!

Our lass has an avensis. T3x with all round leccy Windows and digital climate control. The tape and cd is odd,don't think we have used either! I find them very comfy and they are not too bad in the bends either for a big motor. Found the 1.8 to be damn good on fuel. We get 37 round town or 34 with AC on. Mid 40s is easy on a run. As for steering lock busted,I'm now unsure if they actually have one as ours doesn't look either. Passed mot a few weeks back with not a mention of it either?

I had one of these for about a year back in 2012; Memorably, I did the deal whilst my wife was in the early stages of labour!

post-19618-0-00250300-1531718115_thumb.jpg

There's not a lot I don't know about these cars, such was my autistic level of research before splashing £2k on one.  The 1.8i is superb on petrol, although the trip computer on mine was always optimistic to the tune of 2mpg - it never saw less than a real world 48mpg on my daily commute.  The seats are much more comfortable than the T22 Avensis which preceeded these,and they are a lovely steer.

Unfortunately, the oil burning problem is a real issue.  Mine managed to bollocks the catalytic converter within about 10 months when the car was doing 1 litre per 750 miles.  I was advised by 3 different garages not to bother with an aftermarket one, and the real deal is over £650.  Obviously, whatever you fit ends up getting fucked again.  The problem was eventually solved (even though Toyota say that 1 litre per 1000 miles is perfectly acceptable and within tolerance) with the facelift cars that appeared on 55/06 plates - easily identifiable with the repeaters mounted in the door mirrors.  Obviously, none of this is an issue on a £300 conveyance.

For me, it was such a shame that the engines let these cars down.  Everything else was an improvement over the T22. But the engines (including the 2.2 diesel's appetite for HGF) was a bit of a let down for me.

The 2.0 diesel though?  Incredible.

Enjoy BS/WW/JB.  They're a lovely old thing.

post-19618-0-92059500-1531719082_thumb.jpg

post-19618-0-85315100-1531719089_thumb.jpg

I had one of these for about a year back in 2012; Memorably, I did the deal whilst my wife was in the early stages of labour!

IMG_20120803_195040.jpg

There's not a lot I don't know about these cars, such was my autistic level of research before splashing £2k on one. The 1.8i is superb on petrol, although the trip computer on mine was always optimistic to the tune of 2mpg - it never saw less than a real world 48mpg on my daily commute. The seats are much more comfortable than the T22 Avensis which preceeded these,and they are a lovely steer.

Unfortunately, the oil burning problem is a real issue. Mine managed to bollocks the catalytic converter within about 10 months when the car was doing 1 litre per 750 miles. I was advised by 3 different garages not to bother with an aftermarket one, and the real deal is over £650. Obviously, whatever you fit ends up getting fucked again. The problem was eventually solved (even though Toyota say that 1 litre per 1000 miles is perfectly acceptable and within tolerance) with the facelift cars that appeared on 55/06 plates - easily identifiable with the repeaters mounted in the door mirrors. Obviously, none of this is an issue on a £300 conveyance.

For me, it was such a shame that the engines let these cars down. Everything else was an improvement over the T22. But the engines (including the 2.2 diesel's appetite for HGF) was a bit of a let down for me.

The 2.0 diesel though? Incredible.

Enjoy BS/WW/JB. They're a lovely old thing.

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

As youre the resident expert man, do you know of any measures to elongate the life of the engines, given whats known about them?

Would be handy to know how to best care for it.

This is for voice operated commands I believe (I think) mine has it and mine also has phone system buttons which mine doesn’t have fitted but has the buttons on the steering wheel....when you press that it cuts the radio and just flashes up ‘not supported’ on the head unit display.

The display itself also has a tendancy to go a bit fuzzy sometimes and display random letters or the backlight not always light up. Very common. A light tap normally returns mine to normal....

The Voice symbol is to tell the sat nav where you want to go from memory, as said above probably won't detect or native tongues but it will still work because Toyota.

They are fantastic cars, mine is the 2.2d estate t-spirit so has all the bells and whistles on it, lovely leather chairs and is in their effort at jrg which seemed to cover all their cars sold in 2005.

Just passed its MOT only failed initially on discs and pads and a rear anti roll bar bush so both got done.

The engine is a delight in Derv form, I've heard great things about the 2.0 Derv and all the horror stories about the 2.2 but mines got a later engine in it with improved HG design and so far so good (engine been in about 5 years now before my ownership).

Can't see me ever really replacing it unless it's for a newer model one which I think look really handsome or maybe if it starts playing up I may just get a very very late model one of these on an 08' plate with the 175bhp engine and all the nice little facelift body stylings, however they ain't cheap as I think people are catching onto how good these cars really are.

Can't believe these didn't outsell the Vectra and Mondeo's of the era as they are IMO a far better and more capable car, I drive it now and it still feels like a new car to me, much nicer than my son's a class (admittedly a different machine), has no bumps or rattles and just keeps doing what it does everyday.

Dog loves it too!!!

As youre the resident expert man, do you know of any measures to elongate the life of the engines, given whats known about them?

Would be handy to know how to best care for it.

The only tips I got from my man who is ex Toyota was to use 10w40 because A) it’s cheaper and 3) it will burn slower.

My mk1 Avensis uses about a litre of oil every 4K now because old age, but it would do 5w30 a lot faster now it’s on 227,700 miles.

There’s no way of stopping it. There are tales of super unleaded helping, but I never noticed it and all anecdotes were never backed up with actual science from what I could gather.

Just drive. It’ll never strand you as long as you keep some lube in the boot.

The only tips I got from my man who is ex Toyota was to use 10w40 because A) it’s cheaper and 3) it will burn slower.

My mk1 Avensis uses about a litre of oil every 4K now because old age, but it would do 5w30 a lot faster now it’s on 227,700 miles.

There’s no way of stopping it. There are tales of super unleaded helping, but I never noticed it and all anecdotes were never backed up with actual science from what I could gather.

From what I read it only really poses a problem come MOT time when the emissions are sky high (because running like a two stroke). It's a problem for bug-eye Celicas too, despite pre-vvti. They "fix" them by buying a 2.0 GT instead....

Agree.

There is the theory that using super unleaded keeps the piston rings from getting gunged up.

There was a contributer on the Avensis section of Toyota owners forum who had successfully reduced volume of oil burnt using super unleaded. Stopped using super and oil consumption rose. Went back to super and oil consumption reduced again.

So, maybe maybe not.

Otherwise, some owners add a little (0.5L or so from memory) over maximum on the dipstick which apparently is what Toyota suggested. More oil equals lower temperature so less burning, apparently.

Have a look at Toyota Owners club forum for more.

Cubby holes make my chubby whole.

That just came to me, I'll leave that one with you.

If that’s not a quote on an AS T-Shirt by Christmas, I will eat my £3 Primark Panama hat.

In fact it is so low budget, it doesn’t qualify as a Panama hat. Honduras has a lower gdp so Honduras Hat probably more apt