Renault 14 Madness

Guest MattJY

54 minutes ago, R1152 said:

There's also an excerpt on the YooChoob taken from The Sweeney of a 16 being chased by Regan's Granada Ghia. It's quite eye-opening.

Indeed the tripodding R16 made my father and I go "ooh!" when we watched that episode last week.

On 2/20/2021 at 8:20 PM, R1152 said:

Correct - a 'standard' tyre has an aspect ratio of 80%. The tyres on the family Mk. IV Zodiac were 185 HR 14, my old 16 was 145 SR 14. "S" was about the lowest speed rating you got: as the Zodiac could (just) top 100mph it had H-rated tyres.

Current car is 225/50 R 17 94W, the latter three characters being weight/speed loading.

Not quite correct, let me get my anorak on and comfy...

"Standard" profile where the tyre is, for example, 165R13, is 82%, rather than 80%, but the difference is so tiny that you are or were legally allowed to mix 165r13 and 165/80r13 tyres on the same axle.

7 hours ago, M'coli said:

Not quite correct, let me get my anorak on and comfy...

"Standard" profile where the tyre is, for example, 165R13, is 82%, rather than 80%, but the difference is so tiny that you are or were legally allowed to mix 165r13 and 165/80r13 tyres on the same axle.

The difference is tiny and also overwhelmed by manufacturing tolerances which are often larger than that; molding round black things out of squidgy stuff is a bit of an art.

On 2/20/2021 at 7:16 PM, MattJY said:

The tyre is a 145 SR R13

The SR style height equivalents to 80% of the 145 width (116mm) it’s just back then it was simply known as an SR and not:

145 80 R13

165/70/13 are exactly the same radius and diameter. Also easier found than 145/13 nowadays 

On 2/20/2021 at 7:16 PM, MattJY said:

The tyre is a 145 SR R13

The ST equivalents to 80% of the 145 width it’s just back then it was simply known as an SR

Yes I am tempted with the 165/70’s, bit less weedy looking and a bit more stability, I just don’t want to ruin the steering at low speed. I might just bung a pair on the fronts and see

Went for 5 145 80 R13’s in the end. Wheels off ready to go to powder coating. 

Had my first proper nose round underneath.

Brake hoses all shot

1 outer CV gaiter split

1 inner CV to diff seal leaking

gearbox transfer case gasket leaking

1 hole found NSF inner wing, easy fix with wing off.

Very good really.

The only concerning bit was the expansion tank is nearly empty and I can see glycol around one of the downwards facing core plugs. No mayonnaise on the oil cap or in the expansion tank it may simply have evaporated. Rad not wet. I’ll fill it and run it up.

5FA046E8-5F01-4BA8-9528-095AAAE14C5B.jpeg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I’ve made a start. Wheels are back from powder coasters, new tyres.

I have to paint the black inserts. Tyre guy said they were too small to balance, gona need to find someone with an old machine, maybe a caravan service place.

Moved onto the split NSF outer driveshaft gaiter, all came apart pretty easy but going to need the dugga dugga gun from work to get the hubnut off.

On closer inspection the flex brake lines are not cracked and look good.

have been round everything with WD40 in prep for a strip down.

Saw my mate in France last week whom I have been sending parts too so now have a new Solex twin choke and a new TS front grill

Its progress!

• 3 weeks later...

The good thing about old Renault is there are loads of parts about.

Got a new set of chrome wheel nuts (12) off eBay for £9.99 delivered.

I also had a bit of a spend on Autodoc. Bought a massive box of stuff, brakes, multiple oil, air and fuel filters, dizzy parts, leads, 2 sets of spark plugs, driveshaft gaiters and seals, cooling parts, stat and pipes and loads more like full engine gasket set

£150 plus vat, criminal

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2021 at 4:57 AM, MattJY said:

The good thing about old Renault is there are loads of parts about.

Got a new set of chrome wheel nuts (12) off eBay for £9.99 delivered.

I also had a bit of a spend on Autodoc. Bought a massive box of stuff, brakes, multiple oil, air and fuel filters, dizzy parts, leads, 2 sets of spark plugs, driveshaft gaiters and seals, cooling parts, stat and pipes and loads more like full engine gasket set

£150 plus vat, criminal

I think you are right there, loads of old spares shops wind up or the owner retires. The one near us ended up with loads of odd stuff like Talbot Solara distributor caps or Peugeot 104 fanbelts etc. I think most went in the bin after about a thousand relists on eBay. 

Somebody though eventually is going to be looking for a Solara distributor cap and out of frustration they’ll have all gone in the skip.

Back in my Halfords days, a huge amount of old stuff went into the skip whenever the chain was sold off by Boots Group around 2002. My store had only opened in 1998, but we still had shelves behind the parts desk crammed with redundant stock: gasket sets for Mk1 Cavaliers, shims for Maxi brake pads, alternators for Renault 18s, and sump washers for Alfasuds. All things that we never, ever sold since these cars were all but extinct in Northern Ireland.

It was a shocking waste, but I recognised that none of it was ever going to sell over the counter in a retail park store. Still felt wrong, mind. It took weeks to remove it all from the stockfile, too. I might* have saved some air filters and other stuff that would fit on my HC Viva, though.

6 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Back in my Halfords days, a huge amount of old stuff went into the skip whenever the chain was sold off by Boots Group around 2002. My store had only opened in 1998, but we still had shelves behind the parts desk crammed with redundant stock: gasket sets for Mk1 Cavaliers, shims for Maxi brake pads, alternators for Renault 18s, and sump washers for Alfasuds. All things that we never, ever sold since these cars were all but extinct in Northern Ireland.

It was a shocking waste, but I recognised that none of it was ever going to sell over the counter in a retail park store. Still felt wrong, mind. It took weeks to remove it all from the stockfile, too. I might* have saved some air filters and other stuff that would fit on my HC Viva, though.

Was there no system for transferring these parts over to branches in England?

All branches across the UK were bucking their parts out too, in exactly the same way. The new owners just ran their eye down the stockfiles and any parts that were shifting less than a certain number of units across the company were deleted, with the products left in-store to be destroyed.

There's a huge amount of waste generated from any multi-national - we'd get memos through to withdraw and destroy stock all the time, often just because there was a slightly newer version coming out with different packaging. It was cheaper just to write odds and ends off at store level than arrange for returns, re-stocking and bulk disposal from the Redditch warehouse. We'd be ordered to chop up bike frames and roof bars with a hacksaw before skipping them, because staff taking these written-off products home was strictly verboten. Such a waste.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...