Renault 14 Madness

Guest MattJY

• 3 months later...

if you go here https://www.carbaba.co.uk/

stick the reg of the car in there plus whatever random milage and then hit the value my car button, then it should give you info bout the car

if the car is not the DVLA computer then it of course sadly cant give you info about it

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

stick the reg of the car in there plus whatever random milage and then hit the value my car button, then it should give you info bout the car

if the car is not the DVLA computer then it of course sadly cant give you info about it

Wow, that's  a sobering website. It's confirmed various cars I owned years ago and which are still showing as untaxed on other websites are actually scrapped. Inevitable really, but sad to see the harsh reality!

One anomaly though. My old Morris 1000 VML734G is the only car I've owned (out of almost sixty cars) which I've scrapped. It was rotten as a pear, engine-less and was collected by the local scrappy. It disappeared off the system shortly after. It shows as still 'out there' and not scrapped on the above checker though- weird?

12 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Wow, that's  a sobering website. It's confirmed various cars I owned years ago and which are still showing as untaxed on other websites are actually scrapped. Inevitable really, but sad to see the harsh reality!

One anomaly though. My old Morris 1000 VML734G is the only car I've owned (out of almost sixty cars) which I've scrapped. It was rotten as a pear, engine-less and was collected by the local scrappy. It disappeared off the system shortly after. It shows as still 'out there' and not scrapped on the above checker though- weird?

back before the CoD was introduced in the early 2010s?

the scrapped thing was literally just a tick box on the V5, you would tick the box and send the V5 back to the DVLC/DVLA

I was going to say in the case of your ol moggie I guess the V5 never got sent off

but its a weird one, not on any of the 1st party sites (not even the MOT checker where CoD cars still show)

but it shows up on my 3rd party tools with no scrapped marker or any other such markers 

its not the only vehicle I have come across like this, but never could quite figure out why they would not show up on the DVLA, but show up on the 3rd party sites with nary a marker 

so interesting to hear of your case, did you send off the V5 then or?

do you recall when you scrapped it etc? perhaps this is what happens if you send off an old style V5 with the check box to a post CoD DVLA?

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

This has provided some interesting insights as to how long my first two cars lasted after I sold them. I knew they'd been scrapped but was pleasantly surprised to see how long it took for them to be scrapped. Quite frankly, amazed that they got another 18 months out of my old Megane!

Probably going to spend the next hour or so going through old family cars now, mind.

15 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

back before the CoD was introduced in the early 2010s?

the scrapped thing was literally just a tick box on the V5, you would tick the box and send the V5 back to the DVLC/DVLA

I was going to say in the case of your ol moggie I guess the V5 never got sent off

but its a weird one, not on any of the 1st party sites (not even the MOT checker where CoD cars still show)

but it shows up on my 3rd party tools with no scrapped marker or any other such markers 

its not the only vehicle I have come across like this, but never could quite figure out why they would not show up on the DVLA, but show up on the 3rd party sites with nary a marker 

so interesting to hear of your case, did you send off the V5 then or?

do you recall when you scrapped it etc? perhaps this is what happens if you send off an old style V5 with the check box to a post CoD DVLA?

It was taken for scrap in 2004 iirc. I handed the relevant bits of paperwork to the driver and he seemed serious about ensuing it was dealt with properly. I think I joked about keeping the logbook as a memento of my old car, and he wasn't having any of it.

Still got all the service history and old MOTs at my parents place, assuming they've not binned it.

23 hours ago, Markeh said:

This has provided some interesting insights as to how long my first two cars lasted after I sold them. I knew they'd been scrapped but was pleasantly surprised to see how long it took for them to be scrapped. Quite frankly, amazed that they got another 18 months out of my old Megane!

Probably going to spend the next hour or so going through old family cars now, mind.

I had a good look at this yesterday, some interesting results where vehicles definitely scrapped are not recorded as such, likewise with one I imported, and two where a change of ownership doesn’t appear to have clicked. Which in theory means I could apply for a current V5C in my name. 

I’m not sure how far I trust the site - it seemed to stop working after I’d run a couple dozen registrations through it, but is working tonight although my ex UK modern is not yet showing as exported. Admittedly that is probably because Swansea hasn’t yet processed the paperwork. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2020 at 10:21 PM, mk2_craig said:

I had a good look at this yesterday, some interesting results where vehicles definitely scrapped are not recorded as such, likewise with one I imported, and two where a change of ownership doesn’t appear to have clicked. Which in theory means I could apply for a current V5C in my name. 

I’m not sure how far I trust the site - it seemed to stop working after I’d run a couple dozen registrations through it, but is working tonight although my ex UK modern is not yet showing as exported. Admittedly that is probably because Swansea hasn’t yet processed the paperwork. 

It gives you 15 lookups in a 24-hour period and on the 16th it'll start asking you to enter the details manually. Once that happens you need to wait a full 24 hours before trying again as each lookup resets the timer. Seems pretty good and is especially useful for trucks and buses as it's the only free site I've found that gives actual model names where Cazana, Cartell and the like all just say unknown for the model. Sometimes it can get confused by registration transfers though: W6 CHT for example still comes up as an Iveco but photos show that reg had been transferred from the Iveco to a MAN by January last year.

My Mum's old Maestro shows as scrapped in 2002, I weighed it in myself and sent off the V5. A Volvo S60 I scrapped last year doesn't show as scrapped though. As the box you tick for scrapping isn't there anymore I just wrote  "scrapped" all over it in black marker. When I sent it off I got a reply from the DVLA telling me I was no longer the registered keeper. I'm guessing it's now recorded as having no registered keeper?

That is an interesting site. Have just put several of my fathers cars registrations in which I know were scrapped in the 80's and they are showing as scrapped.

However the Morris 1800 he had which I know was still around in 1990 is not showing as scrapped so maybe a vague hope it is stored away somewhere, unless the paperwork was completed. It shows last change of keeper in 1989 which was several years after dad sold it.

23 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

My Mum's old Maestro shows as scrapped in 2002, I weighed it in myself and sent off the V5. A Volvo S60 I scrapped last year doesn't show as scrapped though. As the box you tick for scrapping isn't there anymore I just wrote  "scrapped" all over it in black marker. When I sent it off I got a reply from the DVLA telling me I was no longer the registered keeper. I'm guessing it's now recorded as having no registered keeper?

yeah they dont include the little scrapped check box on V5's anymore since its been replaced by the Certificate of destruction, its something the scrap yard themselves do so you give them the V5 and they will issue a CoD, its not something the end user does 

cars issued a CoD will have a scrapped marker and date, as well as an additional CoD marker against them (and as such they will vanish from the 1st party DVLA checker even tho they are very much still on the system)

(as a side note tho I do wonder what would happen if you have a dead car on the old V5 with the scrapped check box and sent it off today, would the DVLA simply marked with just an scrap marker old fashion style, or would it also get a CoD marker and vanish off the 1st party DVLA checker as cars issued a CoD do)

• 4 months later...

So a question about tyres.

My R14 has 145 SR(80) R13’s on it, the factory fit.

Should I up the tyre width or stick with oem fitment?

Other job I have to do is replace both driveshaft gaiters...it’s like having my old one back, forever having knocking CV joints.

Oh, and I should drive it again

Backed it in and out the garage a few times but that’s about it.

What’s the rim width?

I’d  be tempted to keep to the standard size or perhaps go up a width profile to 155/80/14 as that won’t affect the car’S dynamics by much (steering weight etc.) and better options are available in that size (a quick glance gives you the conti eco contact 6 which is excellent value at 40 something quid a corner, up to you if you want to pay a little more over Chinese death rings of course).

I’m not sure what the SR bit means, I don’t think it’s important.

54 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

I think you will find that SR and R refer to the speed rating of the tyre.

Correct - a 'standard' tyre has an aspect ratio of 80%. The tyres on the family Mk. IV Zodiac were 185 HR 14, my old 16 was 145 SR 14. "S" was about the lowest speed rating you got: as the Zodiac could (just) top 100mph it had H-rated tyres.

Current car is 225/50 R 17 94W, the latter three characters being weight/speed loading.

5 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

Going back to the initial question, surely it is sensible to stick with the original tyre size which was specified by the designers, at least to start with, so that you can find out how a R14 rode and handled back in the day?

They seemed to be a common substitute when I were a lad for people who'd previously owned Allegros with self-detaching wheels - like my maths teacher...

Last one I saw was in Paris seven years ago, in the 15e...

1 hour ago, Mr Pastry said:

Do tell. You can't leave it there.

Well, the story goes that my maths teacher was proceeding down the old A1 when there was a crunch, his car sat down in an uncontrolled manner and he suddenly took ownership of a three-wheeled Allegro. Although it sounds like pony, urban myths like this weren't so common in the 1970s and AROnline explains the problem:

Wheels only fell off the Allegro, in the first instance, because the wheel bearings were assumed by a few careless mechanics to be the same as those used on the ADO16, but they were of a completely different design, and the consequent over-tightening was responsible for a few cases of hub failure!

https://www.aronline.co.uk/history/features-old-wives-tales/

Somewhat scarred by his experience, he bought a yellow R14.

My understanding is that Morris Minors were known for this entertaining trait if the greasing schedule was not strictly adhered to.

I think on Morris Minors it was the trunnions that parted company.

145/80 tyres are getting harder to come by these days, but I tend to find that old French cars drive better on the skinny original-spec rubber, which is why my Renault 6 is still on 135R13s rather than the more readily available 145/70s.

12 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I think on Morris Minors it was the trunnions that parted company.

145/80 tyres are getting harder to come by these days, but I tend to find that old French cars drive better on the skinny original-spec rubber, which is why my Renault 6 is still on 135R13s rather than the more readily available 145/70s.

It definitely was the trunnions, usually the lower one.

As for the proposed rubber on the 14: just google for some R16s on stock rubber doing crazy things and yet not coming unstuck. Like this.

renna-16-slide.jpg?w=723

There's also an excerpt on the YooChoob taken from The Sweeney of a 16 being chased by Regan's Granada Ghia. It's quite eye-opening.

I'd stay stock.