Renault 14 Madness

Guest MattJY

7 hours ago, mk2_craig said:

I bet that’s well supported for spare parts down there! I did hear of someone emigrating from the UK and getting his R14 sent over by container in fairly recent years, though I think that was a green one. 

I'll look into other R14s that were imported to Aus when I go to the next Renault gathering in February. There's some interesting private imports in Australia, like this Renault 6 that was for sale a few years ago, it's now being restored I'm told.

319612270_Renault6forsaleaus.jpg.56e15610bb9f0ce865835ad790330d77.jpg

There were a few Visas that came here as well, not sure where they are now.

1277510933_VISA4.jpg.0640a97da495d436225c7467c6b366a4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well as springs just turned up, I thought it time to give an update on progress.

Due to the missus not letting me play with cars till the kitchen is done, the progress is nothing more that the odd trek into the garage and an admiring stare. 

I did find a brand new set of TS clock, miles/UK version in frog gland for €35 so had to have that!

So, best get on with the kitchen so I can start taking the thing apart...oh, and I started a garage so have to work on other peoples cars before my own, fooey!

• 4 weeks later...

This is exciting.  I developed an obsession with these a decade or so back and long wanted one.  I haven't seen one since AVK585V at the back end of 1990 behind the garage my dad worked at (think it was a cheap px, it was rough).  I gave up pretty much due to their near extinction here and the copious horror stories.  I do know Regie Ritmo on internet terms though, one day I might get to meet him and touch his (Renault 14).

I bought its replacement's replacement instead, a Renault 19 TSE.  One month off its 30th birthday and zero rust.  The comfiest, smoothest riding and dare I say best car I've ever owned.  Renault learned something in just over a decade.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Either that or, having been driven on salted roads, it dissolved into a small pile of rust 30 minutes after the photos were taken so never made it onto the DVLA computer.

58 minutes ago, HMC said:

72 hours later.......

Hmph. You can go right off people sometimes.

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Either that or, having been driven on salted roads, it dissolved into a small pile of rust 30 minutes after the photos were taken so never made it onto the DVLA computer.

1 hour ago, Skizzer said:

XBY is a west London plate. Dunno what part of west London that sheep farm is in; it doesn’t look like Acton or Earl’s Court.

Maybe Brentford way.

pretty sure its a false plate, an easy way to tell for something like a T suffix is just check some reg numbers in the same series if they all turn up nothing then you can pretty safely say that it was not a registration series issued in period

(obviously this does not work for older registration series, but in that case you can then use this website to check if a registration serise was issued in period https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/reg-letters.htm I do wish a post 1974 version of this website existed! I think some glass guides do have such a list, something I need to look into one of these days!)

keep in mind by T Reg pretty much everything was already centralised and part of the main DVLC computer, so even if it died only 3 years later theres a good chance it would still show up even today

in this context the only vehicles that where computerized but now dont show up any more are those untaxed between 1974 and about 1980

if you look at any vehicle with a tax due date from about 1980 or earlier you will see said vehicle will have had some other activity to keep them alive (ie say a Keeper change or a V5 issued in 1983 or something)

(anything untaxed before 1974 will most likely not have been computerised and not show up because of that, and anything untaxed later then 1980 will have not been archived off the system whenever the DVLC did that because it would have been considered still active/alive)

so its pretty rare something like a T reg vehicle wont show up (because it will have had to have died at only like a year old or something such!)

11 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Maybe that's the one in the ad, and they just changed the suffix letter to make it look like a new one?

I was thinking/wondering that, especially as it would also pretty easy way to insure you where not (accidentally) using the registration of any actual car

(since by T suffix they would be onto a different leading letter by then)

21 minutes ago, Austat said:

What R14 special editions were there for the UK market?

renault 14

We had that Safrane in the UK too; it was a run-out special before the facelift.  Then there was the Regency, as Capt Laurel says; I can’t recall any others.

Renault didn’t get into special editions in a big way until further into the 1980s.

1 hour ago, Skizzer said:

We had that Safrane in the UK too; it was a run-out special before the facelift.  Then there was the Regency, as Capt Laurel says; I can’t recall any others.

Renault didn’t get into special editions in a big way until further into the 1980s.

I remember they went a bit crazy with then n the 1990s along with the other French manufacturers.

• 1 month later...

Minor update, no progress with the resto but have now found a new TS grill and TS monogram in France, has been purchased and sent to a mate in France for collection if we every get to Le Mans in September.

Have also found a chap in Holland with most of the new body panel, no bonnet unfortunately.

Still no joy trying to match the beige TS interior fabric, looks like I will have to buy a French LHD car and break it for parts. The issue is the ones with the descent interiors are in reasonable nick and €1500-2000 which is more than I paid for my complete GTL. Oh well, its not about money clearly.

MADNESS