Renault 14 Madness

Guest MattJY

Oooooh, nice! My first experience of driving on the wrong side was on family hols with parents, sis and dog in a nearly-new 14. France, of course, and Paris. I was 17, maybe 18. Good fun, that Arc-de-thingy roundabout! Dad moved up to 20s and 30s after that car.

1 hour ago, Mut said:

New parts sort our already

OEM tailgate

OEM scuttle

OEM drivers door

OEM NSF wing

OEM OSF wing

still digging...

F86367C3-5632-4C79-8EB4-84D71086BD61.jpeg

Worth finding out if those panels can be reproduced. Do a Google search for "Dualform press" - there are a few companies who have the tooling to do it.

What a result;  unicorn scattered with fairy dust I reckon with all those spares.

I look forward to seeing this and possibly having a ride in it to see if my good memories of long term ownership of a 1218cc 14 stand up to time having passed.

Two things that I think helped to keep mine going well were oil changes every 3,000 miles and taking off the front wings and re-waxoyling every summer.

Absolutely thrilled to see this tale reach a happy ending (even if it means one less R14 in Ireland...) - and what a parts haul too!

Looks like an absolutely cracking example, and I eagerly anticipate updates on how you're making it even better...

And re. your old user name, drop a mod a message and they should be able to merge both your accounts. You certainly weren't the only one to have your login removed for no apparent reason a few months back; you should be able to get this sorted with minimal bother now.

8 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Absolutely thrilled to see this tale reach a happy ending (even if it means one less R14 in Ireland...) - and what a parts haul too!

Looks like an absolutely cracking example, and I eagerly anticipate updates on how you're making it even better...

And re. your old user name, drop a mod a message and they should be able to merge both your accounts. You certainly weren't the only one to have your login removed for no apparent reason a few months back; you should be able to get this sorted with minimal bother now.

I did twice and nothing. Who is the mod maybe I will PM him

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I know a few popped up suddenly like buses a while ago

but whats the story behind this particular example and how did ya find it/track it down? :) 

Well, I literately have been searching for 5 years. The first 4 nothing but then the effort put in came good and like busses 4 turned up at once.

The first one I found was a white GTL in Ireland from a chap called Tony.

He then put me in touch with Maurice who I ended up buying from after a 9 month negotiation period. 

Also an ad I put up online came good and a chap called Paul Cunningham put me in touch with a chap that had two TS’s called Steve Crouch. He was a total waste of time and has no intention of selling either although leading me up the garden path.

There was a third one in Ireland that had been rescued from the scrapper that was his dead family member. He was a lovely chap.

So the only one I know is for salee is Tony’s for £3k. It’s white and rust free and about 30k original miles 1.2.

44 minutes ago, Mut said:

I did twice and nothing. Who is the mod maybe I will PM him

Yep, try @Slartibartfast, @brownnovaor

@Pillock to see about an account merge/reset - I think there may have been other issues with PMs getting through too.

'Maurice' isn't Maurice Rea, perchance? How many Renault nuts called Maurice can there be in Ireland...

If it's the same guy, he took on both my Phase 1  Lagunas when they ended up permanently borked.

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

Yep, try @Slartibartfast, @brownnovaor

@Pillock to see about an account merge/reset - I think there may have been other issues with PMs getting through too.

'Maurice' isn't Maurice Rea, perchance? How many Renault nuts called Maurice can there be in Ireland...

If it's the same guy, he took on both my Phase 1  Lagunas when they ended up permanently borked.

That’s the one I think. Proper Renault nut.

7 hours ago, brownnova said:

I’m not sure how to do the account merge myself, but I have asked someone who does. 

Glad you found a 14... they’re bloody ace!! 

Thank you I did find it odd that I got banned. I run a major car forum myself and to get banned you have to go at it pretty hard.

I employ a coder so if you need any help just PM me.

Wow. I hold my hands up to admit I'm one of those who didn't really think you'd manage to find a solid UK car, let alone one with a plethora of NOS spares. This place sure does seem to have an amazing ability to attract rocking horse shite levels of luck at times. 

Well done for sticking at it and coming up trumps.

As for the banning for no obvious reason and apparent lack of explanation or action from the mods even now, I feel can't help but feel disappointed.  I stuck by and defended this forum and the mods/admin team through thick and thin.

Hearing your situation though, I've finally reached a 'what the actual fuck is going on behind the scenes on here?' point.

Fingers crossed for you that the mods/admin team pull their fingers out, sort the situation and apology over what's happened. 

In the meantime, keep us posted on updates - great work fella. 

2 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Wow. I hold my hands up to admit I'm one of those who didn't really think you'd manage to find a solid UK car, let alone one with a plethora of NOS spares. This place sure does seem to have an amazing ability to attract rocking horse shite levels of luck at times. 

Well done for sticking at it and coming up trumps.

As for the banning for no obvious reason and apparent lack of explanation or action from the mods even now, I feel can't help but feel disappointed.  I stuck by and defended this forum and the mods/admin team through thick and thin.

Hearing your situation though, I've finally reached a 'what the actual fuck is going on behind the scenes on here?' point.

Fingers crossed for you that the mods/admin team pull their fingers out, sort the situation and apology over what's happened. 

In the meantime, keep us posted on updates - great work fella. 

Thanks Dick, yes the mods are helping to resolve it at last. I’m off to have a nose round under the bonnet...just can’t help myself. I have a Maserati 2 seat MC Stradale and a 1969 Opel GT but it’s the shonky Ren14 that is getting all my attention at the mo, I frigging love it! I’ll take some pics too, back in a bit.

Showed this to my dad, apparently the one I came home from hospital in was this colour.  It was replaced by a black one.  

He seems to recall there being special notices for MOT testers that rear strut tops were supposed to be brown for the first test

• 4 weeks later...

Spent the weekend having a little play, the clutch creaked everytime you pressed it and sounded like it was going to let go which brings back several memories of 80's Renaults. Luckily there is a spare in the boot but it only needed lubing.

I also started to attack the interior and the quarter of a century of dust and grime that it had gathered. 

I'ver also sourced the door skins I need too, so all I really need is the rear arches. There is the left hand one in Switzerland but nothing for the right so far.

Plan is to gather all the parts and start the restoration in about a years time when things are a bit less manic. 

She starts on the button and not rattles from the engine. 

I also went round with the rust remedy to inhibit those angry areas that are starting to go so they don't get any worse over the coming year.