Renault 14 Madness

Guest MattJY

At the time these came out Renault was already making a competitor in the form of the 12.According to one writer at the time the Renault engineers referred to the 12 as the "stupid" car and the 14 as the "clever" car.I think we can guess which car looks stupid now.

Having said that,they are pleasant enough,but it would have been cleverer for the engineers to design a car which was actually capable of survival.

Guest MattJY

Shares with the Pug 104, plus the engine went in the Pug 205 XS 1.4 plus Talbot Horizon and Citroen (Visa?)

Some Volvo 340 connections too.

Steering rack, can’t find one but I do know it’s the same as a Pug104 and suspect it can be sourced as can the clutch cable.

When converting to RHD you could use the LHD rack and flip it over. The output spline to the steering column would be in the wrong place, but since you would be drilling a new hole it would hardly matter.

I had considered this when fitting a steering rack to my fiat 500. LHD Fiat 126 racks are much easier to obtain. However, in my case the output spline was far too low so I had to find a RHD one anyway.

When converting to RHD you could use the LHD rack and flip it over. The output spline to the steering column would be in the wrong place, but since you would be drilling a new hole it would hardly matter.

I had considered this when fitting a steering rack to my fiat 500. LHD Fiat 126 racks are much easier to obtain. However, in my case the output spline was far too low so I had to find a RHD one anyway.

But then the car would go the opposite way to what you steer

It will reverse the steering. If instead the rack is rotated 180° in the horizontal plane and you can push the pinion in through the back of the rack housing, that'd work...

If you have to flip the rack over in the vertical plane, you'd need to swap the hubs round too, so the TREs acted on the leading edge of the hub, not the trailing edge. I reckon the steering would feel horrible though...

Now my brain hurts too

There’s a line between being positive, and being a fruitloop. This project idea rests closer to the latter.

Not that it’s my place to suggest the chances of pulling this off, but if you DO manage it, I will seriously entertain the idea of devoting my life to tracking down and purchasing the remaining UK examples of derv Maxis.

I had a 14 GTL for years;  every summer I unbolted the fromt wings and waxoyled.  Oil got chewed up by the gearbox in the sump and went noticeably thin so I changed oil and filter at about 3,000 miles compared to recommended interval - 6k?.  This built up a fair cache of used oil which came in handy when I had a Austin 1800 for commuting Chippenham to Nailsea in a bad winter - about 150m/pint I think.

with only 1218cc the 14  went well 5 up in the M32 grand prix out of Bristol in the evening commute, you did have to rev it hard, I did hanker after the extra power of the TS.  I passed it on to my father who ran it until the rust got it and household management showed the usual enthusiasm when I suggested  getting it repaired and used as a family spare car.

.....and I fitted a front spoiler to it after LJKS* wrote that it improved high speed stability - I was young(er) and thrusting in those days, and two 5" spotlights behind the grill - properly wired in through relay and fuse.

Would I have another, yes, but two problems, finiding a good one and SWMBO who has the idea not just that the existing toy must go for me to have a new one, but that it must go before a new purchase;  unreasonable??

*LJK Setright for younger readers;  who loved Bristols which can't be bad (either variety,but he only admitted to cars as far as I know)

A mate of mine did his apprenticeship at a Renault dealer in 1979-80. He thought they were excellent cars - robust, well designed, well made and nice to drive.

All except the 14, of which none of his colleagues had a good word for.  :-D

The words 'bastard' was used in conjunction with the whining banana.

LHD is part of the charm, you soon get used to it. I've had a few and never had an issue. Anybody scared of LHD probably shouldn't be looking at old Renaults!

As for the rear suspension mounts, are they like a Renault 16? They aren't that hard to sort on those, just a bit lab our intensive . Also, having to cut away a piece of the sill / wing area that doesn't usually rot is a little upsetting!

Guest MattJY

Appreciate the advice and I already have a LHD classic and it’s a pain on UK roads probably due to its low stance (69 Opel GT....no, it’s not a F’ing Manta!)

Going to stick with the RHD and yes, as the thread title says....