Invacar Rolling Shell - Free to Uplift

Zelandeth

So at least a bunch of you will recognise my much hacked about Invacar (AC Model 70 actually to be technically correct), KPL139P from my blog thread.

With the arrival of Dollywobbler's former spares car the decision was made to return that to the road rather than KPL as it was in far better overall condition.

So since then she has donated her engine, brakes and gearbox to TPA.

It seems a shame to just throw away the leftovers though. Given the repeated comments we've both had from people saying we should stick a silly bike engine or something in it, there seems to be interest in some madcap projects.

I reckon with a roof chop, custom front end built and a suitably mad engine you could make a truly epic 2/3rd scale replica hot rod with it. I however have neither the time nor resources.

The chassis will need a couple of repairs due to water having got trapped beneath the floor, but is overall sound. Sound and utterly over-engineered for what it is.

She already has a V5C present and in my name, so just needs a (Class III) MOT to allow you to change the vehicle type to motor tricycle and tax class to historic.

I need the garage space back, so if anyone wants to take this on as a crazy project, it's all yours.

It has tyres that are holding air sufficiently that it can roll for loading purposes just fine.

post-21985-0-68587100-1531418616_thumb.jpg

post-21985-0-39416900-1531418639_thumb.jpg

A pair of somewhat dodgy doors can be had if required, I just need to swap some bits over before I'm done with them. Rear windscreen is missing, windscreen is present and serviceable, and I have good door glass available if you want it.

If you're thinking ditching the body, sticking a roll cage on and making a crazy off-road buggy that might be immaterial...plenty of suspension travel and compliant springs...that could work actually...

If you're interested, let me know.

Really not looking for anything for it, but if you'd like to contribute towards the camper and Invacar restoration fund anything will be appreciated.

I'd rather have it out the way sooner than later to be honest, but if you're interested but cannot get it picked up until a given date I'm sure we can arrange something.

Aye, that was brought to my attention over in my fleet's blog thread.  It's not a million miles away from me either, so definitely keeping my eye on it.  Probably more with the thought of the possibility of taking moulds from it to create repair sections than actually using it in itself at least in the short term given the degree of dismantling would be required to do a body swap.  Plus it potentially opens up a resource to help out more than one car then.

Given how light the thing is, an electric drive using modern tech could be a right laugh.  Problem is the cost of the necessary parts if you're looking for anything other than milk float performance levels.

• 1 year later...
42 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Looks like the fella who took this on has sourced himself a complete car for spares. Should be enough parts from the two to make a decent car. Was this one on your list of known survivors @LightBulbFun?

Screenshot_20191124-221807_Facebook.jpg

indeed, me and @OliD-E have been discussing it on facebook for a good few months now :) 

you can see more details in my thread and on his thread on the forum :) 

it is indeed on my list of well, its not on the list of known survivors on my forum thread

but I have known about it for a good while now,

there's a number of Model 70's that I know about, but im not sure id call them survivors, due to either not knowing what their future holds or down to their condition, hence why they are not on the list

I know TPE for example probably wont be returning to the road sadly, (as spoiler alert, the chassis on TPE impressively FUBAR sadly) but will be donating several key components to get KPL back on the road, or thats the plan anyway!

but this also why KPL and most of @st185cs's Model 70's are not on my list, as I don't know what their future holds due to their poor or unknown condition, although as mentioned hopefully with the body shell and drivetrain from TPE, KPL will return to the road :) 

(I also sadly lack decent photographs of most of field find Model 70's which makes adding them to the survivors list difficult)

I appreciate the heads up tho :)