Dead Xantia 2.0i "sinker" 250 quid or FREE

Partridge

I bought this of a fellow shiter about three or four months ago. It was absolutely fine on purchase day and thereafter, right up until the point it went bang and chucked out a conrod. It's annoying because it's one of the nicest sinkers left. Apart from some UV rash to the boot lid and some MOT tide marks, it's very tidy and the interior is near mint. It would be a shame to frag it, because other than "rod gate" it's lovely.

With a 405 that is in the process of being restored at a body shop, and the 605 awaiting some much-needed spannering and painwork when its little brother returns, I can't justify throwing any more money at this, as much as I like wasting money on PSA crap.

post-5737-0-97963700-1531171481_thumb.jpg

The suspension worked fine at the point of death, and I can't think of why it won't now. It has had the system comprehensively overhauled by a Citroen licker of high regard, although I have no paperwork to back that up (verbal history m9). 

ICE is very good, heater works and all the windows go up and down. The sunroof doesn't leak.

The MOT runs out in December. 118,000 miles. I think.

I just need it gone, so take it away for free - but bring a trailer and a spare set of wheels because I want to keep the brand new Michelin Energy Savers that I bought for it. Alternatively, give me £250 and it stays with the wheels and tyres :) They are the genuine article and I don't think I've even done 1,000 miles on them! Considering they cost in excess of £300 that's a pretty good deal...

Just to clarify, I am not moaning about the seller. It was an honest deal and a good price, but sadly these things happen to old cars sometimes. It's a shame, but a worthwhile project if you fancy one. 

Free cup of posh coffee included, as well as a ride in a 605. If you buy now, I'll include a free marrow from my allotment.

Located in East Northampton, on the Northants/Cambs border. We're easy to find the A14 and A6 and there's a pub opposite if you decide you need refreshments but find you don't like me in person.

What a shame, earlier Xantias were built better than W124s ime. Had an L-reg 1.9D as a smoker at the end of the nineties, it felt bombproof even compared with later Xantias, which themselves are legends for longevity.

More than worth breaking open the piggy bank for an engine for this, my choice would be a 2.0 8v turbo, only fitted to estate Xantias. Only 150hp but anything but slow - old-school easy speed.

Didn't Peugeot's diesels go through a rod-throwing phase around 1998?

I only have spare diesel engines for these at home, but even so I am tempted, how many Xantias is too many? What engine has it got in at the moment and is it auto/ manual? How are the rear door shuts? Can't promise anything, as I would want to source an engine first

I'll see your marrow and raise you some enormous rhubarb.

Guest Hooli

I only have spare diesel engines for these at home, but even so I am tempted, how many Xantias is too many? What engine has it got in at the moment and is it auto/ manual? How are the rear door shuts? Can't promise anything, as I would want to source an engine first

I'm guessing by the thread title it's a 2.0i

I'm guessing by the thread title it's a 2.0i

Oops, thanks! I was sure that's what it was, but when I reread the initial post I couldn't find it! It was late and I should have been asleep and

Do these have the handbrake on the front calipers?

I seem to remember an old mate trying to have some fun with his mothers L reg in a gravel park. LOL.

Yes handbrakes act on the front. Snow and Ice = reverse J turns. A traditional handbrake turn = big crash. Not from experience may I add

not adding to my Xantia problem

Guest Hooli

Do these have the handbrake on the front calipers?

I seem to remember an old mate trying to have some fun with his mothers L reg in a gravel park. LOL.

Does it matter? considering I seem to recall an advert for 'moving even when it's standing still' being withdrawn just as they noticed the handbrake didn't work...

Door shuts are fairly clean and are all solid. There are a few 5p sized blebs which are probably curable by sanding down and treating. It's an auto. 

Sirs, hopefully my reputation precedes me, but if you don't know I am a citroen enthusiast of some repute, having recently owned a ratty berlingo.

Normally I would offer to pay the full asking price including wheels with immediacy, but sadly I lost some money in a tall story about a business or an ill family member or somesuch.

So sirs, as I am clearly such an enthusiast about this vehicle you should be honoured that I am willing to take it on. Its the right thing to do, I will of course naturally complete a full nut and bolt restoration once my shares in the madagascan diamond mines mature. Frankly, not allowing me to save this vehicle is an insult to Alan Citroen himself.

Of course, relating to the aforementioned funding crisis, I cannot pay, and unfortunately my butler cum recovery driver is currently indisposed, so you will of course have to deliver the car to me in Aberdeenshire.

I look forward to your grateful response. It is truly an honour for you that an enthusiast such as myself is prepared to lavish time (but not money) on this particular vehicle.

LOL JK ENJOY THE WEIGH IN