Ford Fusion semi auto stuck in gear- repair?

Lankytim

You can get a Ford push button start that's exactly the same size as a cig lighter socket, MK2 Focuses used them on top spec cars.

Does the ignition still have a sprung "start" position? A wire from there to the solenoid bypassing all the ECU bollocks ought to do it.

Yes, it does still have a spring start position, hopefully it's still live when it's operated so a wire from that directly to the relay should get it running. 

Top work!

unless its some canbus shit, there must be a 12v line from the ignition switch when its at the "start" position so chopping into that and diverting through a relay to the solenoid should work.

I don't think it's CANBUS, if it were then i'm sure it would've burst into flames by now. 

Don't forget to tell the insurance company! Maybe DVLA if you can be bothered... ;)

This conversion pretty much proves what a lot of these robo-auto boxes are.

It's down as a semi-auto on the V5 so hopefully changing that will mean the insurance companies will get to know too.

Jeez, this is work well above my pay grade anyway - but that is top shiteing!

Give us some pics of the little beast now she's up and running.

Well done.

Thanks! 

It honesty wasn't a major deal though. I recon a determined shite pervert could get all these parts fitted and a semi-auto Fiesta or Fusion manualised in half a day or so.  I just took so long as I was borrowing an hour here or there. I'll get some pics and stick them up tomorrow. 

Can you put a Robo-Manual into Giffer mode? Makes it ride the clutch at 4000rpm whilst manoeuvring and also randomly crunches into second and kangaroos off down the road.

So what is the point in these robotic boxes? I assume they're only as fast changing years as a decent driver, they've got a clutch to wear out....

My old work had a load of Ivecos with this type of box. Hilariously slow going from D to R, you could time a three point turn using star charts.

I think they're cheaper than designing a fully auto box, especially for a smaller engined car, they're also "supposed" to be quicker at changing gear and easier on the clutch than the average human, better on fuel too. They seem to be better all round than both fully autos and manuals, if you discount the fact they're essentially crap and can pack up at random intervals. 

Basically if you're a giffer or can't drive a manual for whatever reason then they're ideal-ish.

Here's some promised pics....

37365390_10160913492930436_1089416298556

37354436_10160913492945436_6086679316605

I found the starter relay behind the glove box and ran a wire from it to the switched live at the ignition switch, The end at the switch got a solder treatment but the end at the relay will have to live with being wrapped around one of the relay's terminals until I get chance to take the fuse board out and solder it in properly. Either way, it's now starting off the key. whoop!

37342195_10160913492905436_5808854125793

37404745_10160913492910436_4804351967788

It now starts and drives exactly as a regular manual car would, except the one gear selector keeps popping off every 2 minutes. What am I doing wrong here??

37340866_10160913493075436_4702298176126

That pretty much what I have here, perhaps the cable is twisted and pulling itself away form the selector arm- I'll take it all off and stick it back together and see what happens. Maybe a strategically placed cable tie will cure things.

HBOL says that the distance between the upper mounting clip (centre of the adjusting section) and the centre of the end fitting on the transmission should be 138mm (+/- 2) does that help any?

Are we talking about the cable coming down to the bottom of your pic? The lever on the gearbox needs to move straight up and down from the viewpoint of the photo but the cable is pulling and pushing at quite an angle...I know its got a ball-joint to compensate but is it in the right place? I have no idea whats further up, but it looks to me like the whole cable needs shifted an inch or two to the left at the top of the pic so the cable is straighter and working on the axis of the gearbox lever.

Are we talking about the cable coming down to the bottom of your pic? The lever on the gearbox needs to move straight up and down from the viewpoint of the photo but the cable is pulling and pushing at quite an angle...I know its got a ball-joint to compensate but is it in the right place? I have no idea whats further up, but it looks to me like the whole cable needs shifted an inch or two to the left at the top of the pic so the cable is straighter and working on the axis of the gearbox lever.

HBOL pic does show it at less of an angle.

I think thats the main issue, the cable needs to come straight down but it's at an angle. 

Noel Tidybeard, the starting issue has been cured! I think it was down to fault being detected by the semi auto ECU which automatically prevents the engine from starting.

I hadn’t been back to this thread and was wondering why it kept living, you know since the car would have obviously been fragged by now....oh no, it’s only got a friggin manual conversion from a donor car and is practically finished, this place...nice work.

Also, very informative thread, I did not realise that these semi-autos were actually just manual gearboxes with robotic clutches and gearchange mechanisms. I don’t know if this makes me more or less impressed with them.

Hey all. The Fusion is now complete! The gear cable kept popping off and I couldn’t get to the bottom of the issue so it’s been cable tied. I think the rubber bit is worn out and needs replacing, it seems to be working fine so I’ll forgrt about it until it invariably pops off again and I’m forced to repair it properly.

Anyway, the logbook says “Semi Auto” which obviously it isn’t any more. There’s provision on the V5c to change the engine number and capacity, colour, revenue weight, standing occupants(!) etc but I can’t see where I can change it from semi auto to manual. Should

I just type up an accompanying letter and send it off with the logbook?

I don’t think there is a provision for that, but I bet if you send off the V5 with a short covering letter asking them to delete that off the V5, and telling them you have converted it to manual by adding a conventional lever and clutch pedal, and chucking away the gearshift servo, (maybe stick a photo or two in to prove it), the logbook will come back amended.

1st of the month means the tax on the Wife's Multipla has been cancelled along with the insurance and transferred over to the Fusion. Because of the lack of insurance and tax I haven't had chance to take the Fusion for a proper test drive to see if everything was working ok,- even with small jobs it's often necessary to take a car on a nice long test drive for piece of mind.

When I woke up this afternoon I found to my horror that Mrs Lankytim had taken the Lanklets on a daytrip, a good 50 mile or so jaunt on A roads and motorway. Guess what? it all works fine! The wife absolutely loves it, the steering, clutch and gearchange are nice and light, it's fun to drive and it's pretty nippy too. I took it for a whazz round the block and can confirm it's pretty nice. The best part is it didn't break down or lose some vital component along the way- brill.

I was going to fit the Fiesta alloys but seeing as the existing steels and hubcaps have new tyres then I may just flog them on ebay or something. 

Has anyone fitted a single DIN facia to one of these? I've got a digital head unit i'd like to fit but all of the facias i've seen on ebay look to be the wrong type- it looks like everything including the vents needs to come off and be replaced.

38392421_10160977847915436_2444357568525

Also the Fiesta alloys have much lower profile tyres so can't really go on. The steels and hubcaps are pretty nice anyway. If anyone wants a cheap set of Fiesta alloys with 3 nearly new tyres let me know!

38474475_10160977847980436_1356680486910

38411785_10160977848255436_1249469977124

I've also swapped the front of the clocks for the fiesta item- identical apart from a window for the gear indicator. The illuminated LED display indicating a fault before turning off wasn't really an issue but it all looks a bit nicer now. 

38391745_10160977847990436_8413157672286

38297867_10160977848260436_7898468187606

Kids and wife actually love it so much they washed it today! Amazing!

38406498_10160977847910436_9613822067715

I think with the radio you have to saw off the bits of plastic that go across the double DIN head unit to change to a single DIN.

Correct, you need to get the fascia off and chop the horizontal bars out. A single DIN fitting kit with a pocket (or a double, whatever floats your boat) will fit into the dash and the modified fascia fits over the top before you bosh your Radiomobile AM / FM / cassette player in

There’s a decent guide here: https://youtu.be/RIRSxVDNsOA

• 3 years later...

THREAD REVIVAL! I;ve had an email from a Fusion owner who is considering this same conversion but informed me that most of the images on this thread were missing, which they are. Does anyone have any idea where they've gone? 

The Fusion is still providing trouble free service and there's no intention of getting rid any time soon. 

3 hours ago, Lankytim said:

THREAD REVIVAL! I;ve had an email from a Fusion owner who is considering this same conversion but informed me that most of the images on this thread were missing, which they are. Does anyone have any idea where they've gone? 

The Fusion is still providing trouble free service and there's no intention of getting rid any time soon. 

I think this is something that happened to quite a few threads back when the forum software was upgraded - I don't recall the exact reason for it nor a solution being found at the time though.

9 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I think this is something that happened to quite a few threads back when the forum software was upgraded - I don't recall the exact reason for it nor a solution being found at the time though.

I seem to remember that too.