The reasonably priced tyre buying thread....

purplebargeken

I need 4 for my ST220 fairly imminently.  I normally have Bridgestones on it, but having already just paid out the best end of £400 to get it through its MOT I was gonna get some more middle of the road tyres like Hankook to give my wallet a break.

Discovered that all the midrange tyres are the same price as the Bridgestones anyway (£85 per corner) so i'm just gonna stick with them.

I've got some bizarre Japanese affair on the 45, Sumitomo.

A bit of research reveals they're actually the guys behind Falken, which are pretty good I believe, and until recently produced some of the Dunlops under licence from Goodyear.

85 quid for an 18" tyre seems very cheap to me, the 17" Goodyear Efficient Grips on my Ghia X were £105 a corner!

I think it is down to how common the size is, I previously had a Mk3 Ghia X with the 17's on too and found the tyres to be at least as expensive as the ST 18's.  I am slightly (a lot) anal about having all tyres matching, for no better reason than OCD, so the only opportunity I have for changing brand is when swapping all 4.  Bridgestone seem to be the cheapest of the premium brands.

Kumho all the way for reasonably priced tyres, in case you wanted some unsolicited advice :) .

My local tyre place who used to fit a lot of Kumhos reckon they can't get them any more because Kumho have decided to pull out of the UK.

Shame, as I've found them to be decent tyres for not too much money.

Ive got Kingpin Alp-4's on the picasso and they are fine, wet or dry.

Only issue I had was when one was on backwards rotation - OK in the dry but "fun" in the wet. Otherwise they are fine and at £20 a corner perfect cheapy tyres for a car that isnt driven to the limit.

Braking is fine too - they dont do anything unexpected.

I had to stamp HARD on the brakes on the a421 this afternoon and can confirm that 4 year old Revolos that don't seem to wear do stop, but make alot of noise doing so and make you shit yourself a bit. Did better than the chap infront of me who had to dive into l1 to avoid rear ending the car infront of him (that probably saved my bacon).

So I recommend Revolos. (I think their Revolos anyway, will have a look in a bit)

My car also doesn't have abs! Very quickly learnt what cadance braking and going from 6th to 4th was like! (yes I should have been paying more attention but the whole road seemed to go from 90 to 30 very quickly...)

Having had a cheap brand tyre lose its entire tread while coming onto the M25 at 70mph I decide that such things were a total no-no from that point on. Also tyres are the first thing I check when buying a car. If the owner has expensive tyres on it there's a fair chance money has been spent on the car in general.

I had to stamp HARD on the brakes on the a421 this afternoon and can confirm that 4 year old Revolos that don't seem to wear do stop, but make alot of noise doing so and make you shit yourself a bit. Did better than the chap infront of me who had to dive into l1 to avoid rear ending the car infront of him (that probably saved my bacon).

So I recommend Revolos. (I think their Revolos anyway, will have a look in a bit)

My car also doesn't have abs! Very quickly learnt what cadance braking and going from 6th to 4th was like! (yes I should have been paying more attention but the whole road seemed to go from 90 to 30 very quickly...)

Are you sure it doesn't? I thought all Lagunii had it. Even the Clio II ph2 almost all had ABS. Maybe there is tape over the light?

The ABS modulator on my Lag II ph2 lived in at the bottom front of the near side wheel. Typical French placement of sensitive automotive parts in the place with the most wet and dirt ingress.

Toyo, Kumho, Uniroyal, Nokian and Falken are all good mid range choices. Avon tyres have decent figures but I have heard a few cases of bulging sidewalls and blowouts with them which puts me off slightly.

Of the cheapy brands, I would probably go for Ceat (owned by Pirelli) or Barum. Some of the Nankang tyres are getting better and better as well so wouldn’t discount them on an older vehicle

Considering Toyo CF2’s for the daily. Dunlop’s are £75 a corner, Toyos are £50. Useful saving.

Also a local place seems to do a roaring trade in part worns from Germany. Advertising Kumhos, all have 5-6mm tread and come in around £25 a pair for smaller tyres. Four 5mm tyres on an old Micra for £50 plus fitting? Sounds like a sensible budget move

Are you sure it doesn't? I thought all Lagunii had it. Even the Clio II ph2 almost all had ABS. Maybe there is tape over the light?

The ABS modulator on my Lag II ph2 lived in at the bottom front of the near side wheel. Typical French placement of sensitive automotive parts in the place with the most wet and dirt ingress.

There is a light, but it doesn't light up ever... Given that I don't make a habit of needing it, and it passed the mot fine as is so I'm inclined not to fuck with it. (because laguna) Next time I've got a wheel off I'll have a look for an abs sensor or ring, never actually looked yet.

A lot of the part worn stuff is ancient. Really wouldn't bother, even some new budgets are much better. I used to fit part worns until I discovered a set I was about to buy were 15 years old.

I used to get on alright with part worns, used a taxi place so the part worns were always quite new and usually a matching brand that I've heard of.

Then the last time I went I got offered shit and we all learned about tyre leader and I paid £10 more for a new tyre and the rest is history.

Would make a beeline for a part worn if I fucked up 2 tyres whilst out and about and a bit skint though, as a get me home type thing