Mighty Maestro

will16

Cheers everyone  :-D  I'm glad that the project has gone down well! I know diesel is the choice for vans around here  ;-)

Just love how you make slipping a civic type r engine into a maestro can, sound just like most of us just changing an alternator or carrying out a service. Mental.

Haha I'd love to say it was as simple as that, theres been a fair amount of head scratching!

Bloody hell. I had one of these years ago, I reckon your Perkins engine was pretty tired if it could only muster 80mph. I put a turbo diesel out of a montego in mine and it went like stink (relatively), but I can see you have the power situation well in hand. Torque steer much?

It was definitely well used! It was only a couple hundred miles of 235k, which might have had something to do with it lol. It has gone to someone who is going to put it back in a montego though. Turbo diesel lump is a good choice, especially for a work van, that must have been at least nippy back then with the torque  :-D  Fortunately Honda did good and made a stationary shaft bolted to the block, so the driveshafts are equal length, I'm yet to dive it to give a proper review  :mrgreen:

Flipping hell! I was just looking at a Maestro van thread on Retro Rides (some excellent styling mods on it, worth checking for inspiration). I thought turbo'ing one was mental enough but you sir have won at van!
Glad to see the van fits your Honda by the way....

I'm in Oxford too, pop over for a brew/beer some time. Would love to check out the van!

Ahh yep, I know the thread, thats Alex's van! He has done a damn good job at making one of these look cool. Appreciate the offer too, I will take you up on that, always good to meet local enthusiasts, I'll keep an eye out for your 505 as well  :-D

I'll put a few more pics up just to show engine mounts, gear shifter, fuel tank mods, for those that are interested..

31691891467_b6bac40b4a_c.jpg

I cut a bloody great hole in it!

32701415188_e9b2e59970_c.jpg

31589934707_8150677e30_c.jpg

32656945738_fb9ae6218f_c.jpg

32656945938_14e97253d4_c.jpg

That is obscenely brilliant. Best thing I've seen all year (hey, I know it's early days but it'll take a lot to top this).

+1 on keeping the exterior as it is; it's one of my filthy little fantasies to tool around in something that looks like a total snotter but can leave the £119/month PCP lads in their Corsa VXRs puffing and gawping like landed carp. This van is a vicarious thrill I'll be checking back on.

The modded badge is a cracking touch. Not only a Maestro van saved, but now summat very interesting indeed.

Maybe not to everyone's taste, but it sure does float my boat, cap'n.

VERDICT: 337/10. A leg end is born.

Appreciate the props guys, thanks :D!

Please don't make the outside of the van look any better, it is now PERFECT because of engine choice.

Don’t worry, outside is staying as is, as said it’s perfect, still means the van is usable and very unassuming! It’s subtlety lowered and I’ll be swapping the back box for a less obvious one

(it's always me that says this)

But I don't get it.

Modern engine, might as well drive a newer car. That gear stick looks stupid to me. Yeah I appreciate the work that goes into this kind of thing and I don't think I'll ever understand why.

This was never going to please everyone, I knew that! Ive done it for a few reasons, I’m a petrol head and I like to engineer things, this is a bit of fun for me, it was an idea I had and I’ve not seen anything like it before, I also like to go fast, making shitey old motors quick is my bag, sure I could of bought a whole civic and drive that, but it would be more expensive, higher insurance and wouldn’t be as enjoyable. Also, I use the van for various little jobs, it’s a practical bit of kit! know it’s not the coolest thing being a maestro van, but I’d say it’s a lot cooler than an ep3, and it’s going to make an interesting van on track. Gearstick just mimicked standard civic position ;)

That is obscenely brilliant. Best thing I've seen all year (hey, I know it's early days but it'll take a lot to top this).

+1 on keeping the exterior as it is; it's one of my filthy little fantasies to tool around in something that looks like a total snotter but can leave the £119/month PCP lads in their Corsa VXRs puffing and gawping like landed carp. This van is a vicarious thrill I'll be checking back on.

The modded badge is a cracking touch. Not only a Maestro van saved, but now summat very interesting indeed.

Maybe not to everyone's taste, but it sure does float my boat, cap'n.

VERDICT: 337/10. A leg end is born.

Thank you sir! I’m very much looking forward to showing up some “high profile” motors :grin:

Whats on the V5 = 'regd as 1.3' (see Red Top Corsa Ebay ads).

What will Insurance think of Power + Old Croc spec??

*not knocking - genuine concern m8

Hoonage is Begun....

My guess is insurance will okay.

Just declare new cc and new engine number and new fuel to DVLA. Sometimes they want an engineers report to say they agree with cc.

If that is required I have always wanted to do one. I keep offering.

MG grill for extra lols when people sneer at the "mg van" that actually fucks off from them like a stabbed rat!

would an FN/FK2 gear lever work better with maestro dash & console?

Haha I am in need of a new grille too ;) FN/K gear lever is a good shout, not sure if its a straight swap onto a EP3, I know that the DC5 intergra has a normal floor mounted style and uses the same box as EP3, I'll see how this one feels while driving

Whats on the V5 = 'regd as 1.3' (see Red Top Corsa Ebay ads).

What will Insurance think of Power + Old Croc spec??

*not knocking - genuine concern m8

Hoonage is Begun....

Its still a 2.0 diesel on the V5, I'll do the same as I did with the mini, send the V5 in with receipt for the new engine with no., cc and fuel type, I dont know if there are any penalties for not doing it but I wouldnt want to find out, it doesnt cost anything to get the V5 changed anyway! Insurance should be ok, I've got a quote which isnt too bad, again same as my mini was, it goes down as a non standard engine change

My guess is insurance will okay.

Just declare new cc and new engine number and new fuel to DVLA. Sometimes they want an engineers report to say they agree with cc.

If that is required I have always wanted to do one. I keep offering.

I may well take you up on that offer! Last time I sent a 'receipt' for the engine and they were ok with that, though it seems to vary, as I know people have got away with not sending anything

Not done much, hope to have it driving over the weekend  8)  Radiator is plumbed in, annoyingly alternator belt is too long, even though its meant to be the correct one for non ac  :mad:

39813941743_e45fdb5aa7_c.jpg

Haha I am in need of a new grille too ;) FN/K gear lever is a good shout, not sure if its a straight swap onto a EP3, I know that the DC5 intergra has a normal floor mounted style and uses the same box as EP3, I'll see how this one feels while driving

Its still a 2.0 diesel on the V5, I'll do the same as I did with the mini, send the V5 in with receipt for the new engine with no., cc and fuel type, I dont know if there are any penalties for not doing it but I wouldnt want to find out, it doesnt cost anything to get the V5 changed anyway! Insurance should be ok, I've got a quote which isnt too bad, again same as my mini was, it goes down as a non standard engine change

I may well take you up on that offer! Last time I sent a 'receipt' for the engine and they were ok with that, though it seems to vary, as I know people have got away with not sending anything

Not done much, hope to have it driving over the weekend 8) Radiator is plumbed in, annoyingly alternator belt is too long, even though its meant to be the correct one for non ac :mad:

39813941743_e45fdb5aa7_c.jpg

Headed Ltd company note paper. Check.

Chartered Engineer. Check.

Method ???

I assume that there's a way of measuring the actual cc without removing the head?

Like turning engine to Top dead centre. Filling one cylinder with light oil, through spark plug hole.

Taking it to bottom dead centre and measuring how many cc it takes to fill up to same level. Then removing oil with cerringe.

Or just read it off side of engine ???

MG grille plus standard maestro fishbowl lights?

Alternatively you could go all out and graft on the nose of a Montego!

montego front is more work than one might think- a mate did it to his van (quite a well known orange one)

it all bolts on but you are then left with no washers for example as completely different scuttle set up!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the kind words chaps  :-D !

Good work. Always nice to be able to put your foot down and embarrass a few people. Nice autoshite sticker too. Did you make it yourself?

Cheers man! The autoshite sticker came from a member on here called Jim Bell, there is a thread here http://autoshite.com/topic/16714-autoshite-decals-restock-not-arnold-clark-content/page-10

Right, I've not done a update as progress has been slow (not all due to me btw). First the cooling system needed plumbing, I tilted the rad forward to give more clearance and got £4 worth of hoses from the scrappy and some spare ally tube and put it all together, not very neat but it works and still uses the maestro rad. Also got the right size alternator belt so that went on no issues.

Then it was the front suspension. MK2 Golf coilovers fit with minimal mods, I wanted ones with preload spring and height adjustment, not just like the cheap ones that use the spring preload adjustment to adjust height. Ordered a set that was meant to have the 2 types of adjustment, they turned up and guess what, they only had spring adjustment  :roll:  Returned those and bought some more which are actually what I wanted.

Then it was on to the clutch. What a bloody nightmare  :evil: Bought a civic master, wouldnt fit for shit. Bought another girling type, got a custom line made, cut a bloody great hole in the bulkhead and welded a tab onto the pedal. It is very stiff, probably something to do with where I've welded the tab and angle that the master is on I'd imagine, but I can live with it. The brake booster on this is pretty big and this was the smallest master I could find, but its still squashed between the booster and bulge in the bulkhead, its not an ideal situation, thought about trying to get a smaller booster?

This does mean that this evening I too it for a spin round the block! IT DRIVES!!! Very pleased, though have remembered that I havent torqued hub of lug nuts yet  :oops: . Few issues though. One is a hunting idle between 1.5-2k, seems to be a common thing with these civics after being sat, the iacv can bugger up. I took it out and cleaned it and hasnt done anything, either italian tune up or new sensor required. Another is the brakes. Its got none! Pedal basically goes to the floor, I think where I've loosened the booster and master it might of affected something? I've tightened the booster down as much as I can and dont think the clutch master is stopping it from mounting properly. Going to bleed them tomorrow and see if that does anything and check that the vacuum port from the civic engine is working for it. 

46183387334_46cd940655_c.jpg

45993816095_5025a20785_c.jpg

31967222717_84db812de9_c.jpg

46183387294_83a671deeb_c.jpg

31967222407_fe4c6069ff_c.jpg

Bloody nora there she is I used to own this when it was a tractor. I just roared about in it inhaling all those fumes and filling it up with fivers. It did 45mpg. I loved that old engine. The worst welding was not mine. The bloke before did the drivers side inner rear arch. I was however responsible for a lot of the other bits ! after one big MOT failure. The shocking racking shock mount was there when I bought it but held on with chemical metal that lasted all of 55 miles after purchase.