Mighty Maestro

will16

I’d never spotted that before. Bizarrely, the proportions of the lights look equally at home in the Maestro van as they do on the considerably larger Disco. Weird.

Great to see one of these on here - must be almost ready to drive!

Not weird at all.

land rover made great press when they launched the disco about how quickly they went from concept to production.

one major thing for us engineers is that they went straight from a CAD model to cutting the tool for the roof without building any clay models, or scale models.

They saved alot of time and engineering resource but using as much as they could from other British Leyland cars.

Iirc the chassis is pretty much a range rover.

So onto the rear lights. The stylist/ designer freely admitted at the time that he'd used the ones from a maestro van and that was what forced the design of the rear uprights for the disco. And because they have tried to keep a connection the series 2 and 3 Discos have the same shape but not the actual lights.

Strange that they were then too high for some markets and they had to put some lights in the rear bumper too.

In OLLI circles the thing to do is put bulbs and wiring to them and throw the ones away from the bumper.

Appreciate the kind words guys  :-D  Its been a labour of love really, I'm eager to start using it properly. The Disco lights I've always put down to Rover being cheap..Clever though and Mk1 discovery's werent bad cars

Loads of work done in a short period. Well done.

What is this?

a bit of dexion, but why?

It was being used as a rear shock mount  :shock: It wasnt particually welded in well, I took the bolt out and snapped it off with my hands..

Just remembered there is this H-plater in my local scrappers at the moment. Ideal for spares....

Nice! What yard is this?! Might have to go scavenging

Not weird at all.

land rover made great press when they launched the disco about how quickly they went from concept to production.

one major thing for us engineers is that they went straight from a CAD model to cutting the tool for the roof without building any clay models, or scale models.

They saved alot of time and engineering resource but using as much as they could from other British Leyland cars.

Iirc the chassis is pretty much a range rover.

So onto the rear lights. The stylist/ designer freely admitted at the time that he'd used the ones from a maestro van and that was what forced the design of the rear uprights for the disco. And because they have tried to keep a connection the series 2 and 3 Discos have the same shape but not the actual lights.

Strange that they were then too high for some markets and they had to put some lights in the rear bumper too.

In OLLI circles the thing to do is put bulbs and wiring to them and throw the ones away from the bumper.

the bumper lights was a UK thing afaik - at the time the law said tail lights and hazards must be visible with boot open (or somthing like that) so discos, vitaras, isuzus etc with the spare on the door had to have lights moved or duplicated the law got changed or relaxed some time after

the bumper lights was a UK thing afaik - at the time the law said tail lights and hazards must be visible with boot open (or somthing like that) so discos, vitaras, isuzus etc with the spare on the door had to have lights moved or duplicated the law got changed or relaxed some time after

Think Australia also has something in the ADRs about this, in case those big twin spare wheel carriers are fitted.

• 1 month later...

Another little update.. I've started driving it!! Impressions are that its not as slow as I seem to remember (but still slow), not as noisy as I thought it would be (but still sounds like a tractor). Its done about 450 miles since the start of the month, I'm slowly adding to the 233k its already got, bulk of that was a trip from Oxford to Norwich for a 13b engine for my mazda, which it coped with fine, the rest I've just been pottering about in it, I do quite enjoy it  :-D . However, we've recently had alot of heavy rain and I'd noticed that the passenger footwell was getting soaked. And then I realised that the drivers was just as bad. And then I remembered the MOT runs out at the end of the month  :shock:.  This concerns me greatly as i know it needs a fair bit doing.

Windscreen, crack over 40mm in the wiper area, wont just be the screen though as I guarantee there will be rust under the seal like every other maestro (Probably where the rains getting in??). Rust, every time I look underneath I see another bit and theres quite a few previous repairs with non magnetic materials. Handbrake, is shocking, I'd imagine its needs shoes, maybe the handbrake arm has seized? Oh and there was a brake fluid leak, would go down very gradually, and I couldnt find any leak, until driving home today when slowing for a junction my foot basically went to the floor  :? Found the leak, where a line has rusted and pinholed, of course all the fittings were well and truly seized so I cut the line and used sockets. All of this greatly annoyed me, to the point where I was going to get rid of the bastard thing and get something else. But really I want my own van, got to be retro and if this one needs these things doing, others are likely to. That and I cant find an Astramax for love not money  :mrgreen:  Enough of my moaning, I took some rubbish pics, MOT booked for 3rd November...

45316918122_a54dfd3318_c.jpg

44453703605_bf9c1a1c12_c.jpg

45316918242_61f4e98781_c.jpg

44453704115_c34ce1303b_c.jpg

Not so much when the rear door is open, but you must be able to see both left and right hand lamps when you're stood off to one side. Spare wheel blocks the view, so into the bumper they go.

And there was me thinking it was about the height.

Thought I'd treat myself to an saturday afternoon of mechanics, by replacing the burst brake line. After I'd spent £50 on a bender and some tube, had to redo 2 of the flares after I'd forgot to put the fittings on the pipe beforehand  :roll: , I tried bleeding it. The bleed nipple was flud of crud so that was flushed, but I couldnt get any fluid through the bleed nipple. Crack all the connections and there was fluid going all the way into the cylinder, but not out. Am I right in thinking that this means it needs a new cylinder?

The drum and shoes are pretty badly scored too. Think I'll put the drums on the lathe and buy new shoes. I'm also gonna buy new handbrake cables and try and get that locking too. I've sort of committed to it now, everyone thinks I'm mental  :mrgreen:

44725215544_112da47b16_c.jpg

Fancy new line..

44725215324_391628a789_c.jpg

44725215474_72a7148cab_c.jpg

45397921712_8edc5efb2c_c.jpg

They're not making any new ones.  Not even in China any more.  So it's perfectly reasonable to save this 233k example.  At least on here.  CHODSPEED!

I've only just found this thread. Cracking read. Good to see you're handy with spanners, welder etc... and even mention of a lathe. Just the sort of thing a van like this needs. Good job, thumbs up from me.

Thanks guys! That gives me some motive  :mrgreen:

I think I found an old picture of my van from its early days, judging by the state of it  :-P

45471802761_169a177612_c.jpg

I finished the rear brakes the other day, went for new drums in the end as I couldnt get a good enough finish on the old drums. New cylinders and shoes and the rear brakes are spot on, the handbrake is mean  8) I also have taken care of the wobbly gear change. The old bushes were completely shot so I made some inserts from mild bar on the lathe and welded them in to the gear linkage, so the bolts are the pivots. Literally all the play gone and they shouldnt wear out anytime soon

30661416377_0cfa8a1dfa.jpg 30661416467_a26cbf6b79.jpg

44877609954_df27925066_c.jpg

44877646164_b8e4340e35.jpg 45551883762_9e2a5f88a8.jpg

This weekend, as its halloween, I spent the weekend 50/50, being drunk and working on the maestro. MOT is next weekend, so I had the screen taken out Friday, after some 'wire wheel of truth' action I realised there was a hell of alot of corrosion. Both bottom corners, bits on the bottom rail in the middle, passenger a post and most of the top strip was properly holed. I'm no master fabricator when it comes to thin, rust sheet steel, but managed to get it looking something like it should. I've not taken too long to smooth and fill where its been welded, ran out of time as the new screen is booked for tomorrow.. I hope it fits in the hole  :neutral:

43784630260_582f8fe643_c.jpg

43784630410_79417c0811_c.jpg

44877643674_189303fe90.jpg 30661451237_cc71915efe.jpg

44877645104_ab65a69e33.jpg 45551883602_bbc1ffb646.jpg

44877640064_9247135446.jpg 44688360595_3ca5b37515.jpg

44877641664_2d26b7b4f4.jpg 45602487371_28652d5fc8.jpg

44877641114_16a69326f7_c.jpg

• 2 months later...

I thought I should update this, alot has happened! MOT was passed first time, I couldnt believe it, almost fainted. Few minor advisories, front tyre worn, small hole in sump and load sensing valve stiff, I've sorted 2 of them already.. I was just driving it about apart from that, enjoying it, butttt I'll admit I was getting bored  :roll:  I'll admit, I'm a bit of a yob, and the 50hp of the mighty perkins wasnt cutting it, so I have put the Type R engine I've had sat around in. I grossly underestimated how much work it was going to be and it isnt actually finished yet, need to sort the front suspension and make up the cooling system but its going to be very fun motor when done.

32742842558_c009ff3e7d_c.jpg

46580749692_9fb4647676_c.jpg

46564998252_f030078c7d_c.jpg

32818980288_798feb68a5_c.jpg

45834970744_73392cbf61_c.jpg

Bit of badge buggery and nice exhaust

32853305758_613988180f_c.jpg

Bloody hell. I had one of these years ago, I reckon your Perkins engine was pretty tired if it could only muster 80mph. I put a turbo diesel out of a montego in mine and it went like stink (relatively), but I can see you have the power situation well in hand. Torque steer much?

Flipping hell! I was just looking at a Maestro van thread on Retro Rides (some excellent styling mods on it, worth checking for inspiration). I thought turbo'ing one was mental enough but you sir have won at van!

Glad to see the van fits your Honda by the way....

I'm in Oxford too, pop over for a brew/beer some time. Would love to check out the van!