For Chod & Ulster: Local Auctions for Local People (Nordie Shiter Events)

Datsuncog

Cartell describes the Omega as "V6 SPECIAL AUTO Euro 3"

My 2003 Parkers's Guide (not infallible, admittedly) lists the only saloons with 3.2 as being MV6 and Elite. Maybe it's some sort of special order build that wasn't available to Joe Public?

Omega specials were the police version, which always had steel wheels. The thing that surprises me about this one is that its an auto as specials usually had manual boxes, which by the way weren't available in retail spec 3.2,s.

When I used to go out to Carrick in the 1100 of a night it was only ever for a Chinese or a McDonalds, I feel like I missed out!

Having said that, I don't think I've been in Carrick for at least 5 years, and I don't think a kebab will be enough to lure me back...

So who else is up for a dorty sphincter?

'Babs - dangerous at the best of times. My favourite - although we are going back a few years now - was on Donegall Road near the KFC on Shaftsbury Square. From mid-night on it used to play very load dance music which I am pretty sure was to 'pacify' the customers who were invariably full at that time of the night. Seemed to work well although ordering was rather tricky as no one could understand what you were saying.

I will try my best - just on a slightly sticky wicket as a shed load to do and I am off to Blighty on the 31st. I will keep an eye on the thread. 

So! Just to get a fix on this, I'm proposing a meet-up tomorrow (that's Sun 30th) in Belfast for a Shiter get-together.

Coffees or pints (or both) are possible. Afternoon or evening slots are available. The meet-up will involve an expedition to either the Sphinx or Boojum for sustenance, depending on preference/shrill arguments.

I'm suggesting either a 3pm afternoon slot, or a 7.30pm evening slot. Meet-up venue could be either Clements on Botanic Ave, or The Parlour on Elmwood Ave. Don't have to stay there; just more chance of seating, probably.

I'll be driving from Carrick so can pick up any N'abbey/ N.Belfast residents who fancy wetting their whistle (I won't be).

If this sounds like a plan to you, state your preferred timeslot below and I'll do my darndest to make it so!

Quick update: appreciate that folk have plenty on around this time of year, so mebbe best to just leave it for another date in 2019. Fear not, auction jaunts will resume soon, with all welcome!

TOP TIP: 'follow' this topic via the button up in the top-right to receive notifications of any updates! I know weeks can pass without a post, so make sure y'don't miss out when opportunity* knocks, kids!

(*opportunity limited to the prospect of watching a shagged Mercedes Sprinter dropping bits of inner arch around a concrete auction ring. One per customer, ts&cs apply.)

Right lads, who's about and when?

I'm heading off early on 31st and then back on the 4th and 5th, but I can squeeze a few hours in anywhere else!

Anything near boojum or the sphinx in Belfast would be handy as I've been dying for one of each for over 6 months.

been to the lyric and the first place after that was the sphinx :D

burp

kebabftw(bai)

• 2 weeks later...

Right right right!

So the much anticipated Nordie Midwinter Shiter Meetup Extravaganza didn't quite manage to go ahead, for many and various reasons - some of which included my own inability to get things in gear. All apologies are due to The_Equalizer, as the only one willing to rise to the challenge and go anywhere, anywhen!

But all is not lost.

Is there any interest in taking a turn up to Ballyclare again next Wednesday; that's the 16th January?

I can't make it the following week as I have concert tickets, but Wed 30 Jan would also be a possible runner for moi.

Thoughts/proposals/excuses? Let's hear 'em!

Okay then, so we've got:

• one vote for 16/01 (Faker)
  • one vote for 30/01 (TADTS)
  • two votes for either date (The_Equalizer and meself)

I'm now wondering whether we could feasibly pull off an auction visit to Ballyclare on the 16th, and also mebbe a sit-down social event somewhere else on the 30th, thus accommodating those who have work committments?

I do enjoy the auction, very much - and the writing-up afterward - but I'm conscious that conversation isn't always easy what with the auctioneer blether, the roar of the space heater and many clattery tappetty engines all happening simultaneously in a tin shed... and I've come to the point where I have to admit that my oul ears aren't so very brilliant after too many years on stage up against the bass stacks.

I've been giving further thought to the Brewers Fayre beside the harbour in Carrick as a potential venue - while it may be hideously anondyne inside, it does serve bottomless tea, coffee and hot chocolate (like IKEA, they just chuck you a mug and you get to go mad over at the machines as many times as your bladder and nervous system can handle it); also beer for those who fancy beer; plus it sells assortments of catering-grade deep-fried beige nibbles; and (best of all) no-one's chasing you to finish up and vacate the table - they're open until 11, and the staff don't give a toss if you just sit there for hours. I know, I tried it. Also convenient to railway stations.

I've a Cortina-related playdate also pencilled in for this Saturday afternoon with another local shiter, who may or may not be interested in attending auctions in the Antrim hinterland - but I'll ask anyway... the more the merrier?

Tim.... You know me by now. I can talk utter shite no matter what the background noise is!

I've been terriblly distant for a while, and need to give myself a shake.

Bikes are going to get an airing soon, as will the samba

Onwards and upwards, in possibly a slanted vertical climb of sorts