OMG GGG Fucking Fourbanger Führerwagen - Now Force Ale again!

Junkman

Mine doesn't use any.

But an oil change requires six fucking litres and oil isn't available in six litre containers.

Count yourself lucky. My German daily takes 4.5l. However in the last 3000 or so miles I've put in nearly 3 litres. So in and between 9000 mile services, I'm expected to put in around 12 litres. Apparently normal I'm told. I say stealth oil taxation by the Germans.

Count yourself lucky. My German daily takes 4.5l. However in the last 3000 or so miles I've put in nearly 3 litres. So in and between 9000 mile services, I'm expected to put in around 12 litres. Apparently normal I'm told. I say stealth oil taxation by the Germans.

When I was a teen my dad had a Jaguar 3.8 S-Type that used to loose/use oil at the rate of a pint every 200 miles. 9,000 miles is 25 litres, but then Duckhams 20/50 was not that expensive! 

And I'll keep the radio off, since I do not wish a loudspeaker add unnecessary and easily avoidable noise pollution to my immediate surroundings.

This.  Silence is golden, and there's precious little of it.  If I'm unfortunate enough to have a passenger in the car I might even tell them to STFU, as I'm concentrating and/or enjoying the symphony of trim rattles.

This.  Silence is golden, and there's precious little of it.  If I'm unfortunate enough to have a passenger in the car I might even tell them to STFU, as I'm concentrating and/or enjoying the symphony of trim rattles.

Radio 4 is acceptable. The Archers and Afternoon Drama in the early afternoon is excellent on a long motorway trip.

Effectively that is an oil change.

I'll argue that as my W124 burnt oil like that when I got it. An oil change later & it stopped burning oil...

Same oil in there so it must have been it being able to flow round before it burnt due to a clean filter & sump.

Inner trackrod end LH, some dangling wire in the engine bay requiring cable tied, the battery requiring a cardboard spacer to prevent it from jiggling and a patch on the front subframe. An impressive failure list considering German cars are soooo good and never break.

The trackrod end is twelve fucking Quid btw!

Of course I asked whether that includes shares in the gingerbread house headquartered IG Farben that has them filed from solid blocks of platinum by Jewish forced labourers in Poland.

...to get another year on the road anyway

Sorry to piss on your parade, but it's merely passing a test on a day, not a letter of manumission to drive for a year.

Going by what I've been told by people who do have actual experience with these cars but don't see the entire world through the three pointed Swastika, these are constant drains with something else breaking every whipstitch.

Sorry to piss on your parade, but it's merely passing a test on a day, not a letter of manumission to drive for a year.

Going by what I've been told by people who do have actual experience with these cars but don't see the entire world through the three pointed Swastika, these are constant drains with something else breaking every whipstitch.

No parading here, I'm not leaving the fucking bathroom as summarised elsewhere.

Point valid and understood, but on the other hand the great unwashed certainly see it as a guarantee of roadworthyness.  It's probably* worth £2k with 12 months test on it.

Made me check on our costs, we have owned it for 4 years and 5 months and done 23,614 miles. Total spent on maintenance/repairs £1213.73 including 4 tyres, part exhaust and battery.

Outstanding problems is the driver’s side front wing is looking horribly rusty and after only 28 years! The other one which needs sorting is the control of the heater, start the car with the heater set on cold and it stays cold. Adjust to add some heat and you get full heat and it will not go back to cold without turning the ignition off and starting the car with the heater set on cold. I have not been able to fix this in spite of spending money on an Auto sparks, buying a used control unit and duo valve unit for substitution. 

No parading here, I'm not leaving the fucking bathroom as summarised elsewhere.

Point valid and understood, but on the other hand the great unwashed certainly see it as a guarantee of roadworthyness.  It's probably* worth £2k with 12 months test on it.

Yeah, it's guaranteed to be worth 12,500 by 2023, so grab yourself a bargain for 2k now with this unique investment opportunity if you don't want any regrets later.

Right, the fucking heap passed the test. Now I'm stuck with it.

The worst thing was the patch it needed on the front subframe, which I couldn't see because no ramp.

I asked whether there are other areas of corrosion I'd need to keep an eye on/look at.

The answer: "No, which actually surprised me no end considering what basket cases these usually are".

Do I own the only W124 in the world that has no rust in the shell as such and was never welded there either?

Well, it's got rusty rear brake pipes and springs, so let's see which of those fails first.