OMG GGG Fucking Fourbanger Führerwagen - Now Force Ale again!

Junkman

Excellent news.

This has all the makings of an Anneka Rice game show: get given a fistful of train tickets to random remote points in the countryside, then see how many strangers you can rope in to help you buy a car online to get home in. Extra points for more cylinders, an autobox and an ashtray.

Helll, I’d watch every week.

I was thinking the same thing. A roffle at £x per ticket, the winner gets the money and a random location in the British Isles. They have to get to said location and return home with a vehicle purchased as locally as possible, blogging or vlogging their adventures.

There’s a 1994 5 litre Caprice on Facebook in Waltham Abbey, £2500 with MoT until December

Sry for being anal for a sec but it's actually a '93. If it was the 2 previous years with the fender skirts I'd consider putting in an offer myself.

Edit: Just finished reading. This thread is like a fucking rollercoaster and exactly the reason why I love this community so much. Well done!

Excellent. I like! The 8 valve 2.3 four pot isnt a bad motor. I know a guy on the 190 forum who had a South African import 190 2.3 sportline and the 2.3 had a noticeable increase in grunt compared to the 2.0 I had at the time.

I like this era of W124, the facelift looks with the Sacco boards, but still with the big grille. Should be early enough to have avoided the spaghetti wiring loom too.

I once sold a car from under the nose of someone else. He travelled about 30 miles and when he arrived, another punter was handing over the cash. N reg cavalier it was.

I'd had a couple of no shows, so when someone showed up with cash I took it.

Felt shit about it though and have made sure it doesn't happen again, even if it meant losing a potential sale.

I had a blue J reg 230TE for a couple of years. Loved that car.

It does look smart though and doesn't appear to be rusty*. Could be a year or two of virtually free motoring if you follow The Reverends Ready Reckoner  - buy cheap, spend fuck all on it apart from oil and fluid / filter changes, sell it for what you paid. The price of Granite is rising as well.

*Check rear sub mounts

For what you need it for this is surely the best car over the Jag.

It stands a far better chance of just working all of the time. The last thing anyone needs is to have to spend time fixing the supposed reliable car instead of spending time on the project car.

And with a bit of luck the junk woman might be won over by shiny merc leaving you to reclaim the 405?

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Guest Hooli

Is is rather lovely. And yes, you could have bought a Peugeot 206 and drove it straight to your local scrapyard and it would have been better than the train home. Probably cheaper too...

Do that twice & you should get an MBE for services to motoring.

Forum, we have a problem!

There is no juice arriving at the offside taillight. It has its own individual fuse for this taillight, fuse #8.

Everything is working fine in the fusebox, I have 0V both sides of the fuse when the lights are switched off

and I have 12V both sides of the fuse when the lights are switched on - ok.

Do any of you W124 lickers know where one can check for continuity between the fusebox and the back of the Hewn from Granite Hulk that never breaks?

The taillight has a common earth for all bulbs. Since all other bulbs work, grounding cannot be the problem.

The result of the investigation is that no juice for the taillight bulb arrives at the taillight, i.e. the plug that plugs into it.

So there is an interruption between the fusebox and the taillight.

is the brake and tail light combined on these? does brake light work?

pull bulb from holder and then check voltages just from the holder terminal. ideally through the earth of the holder as well, if you havent already :D you may find 12v but at such a low current that as soon as the bulb is fitted it drops to zero volts. fairly common lucarse issue

resolved by finding the dry joint, behind the fuseboard or in the tail light fitting ... or most likely in a multi connector that is hidden under masses of interior fixings.

if no obvious dry joint run a wire from number plate light / other tail light.

is the brake and tail light combined on these? does brake light work?

pull bulb from holder and then check voltages just from the holder terminal. ideally through the earth of the holder as well, if you havent already :D you may find 12v but at such a low current that as soon as the bulb is fitted it drops to zero volts. fairly common lucarse issue

resolved by finding the dry joint, behind the fuseboard or in the tail light fitting ... or most likely in a multi connector that is hidden under masses of interior fixings.

if no obvious dry joint run a wire from number plate light / other tail light.

No, they’re separate bulbs.

As to the fuse box, it’s worth taking all the fuses out for a good clean. The contacts fur up.

There is also I think a set of connections under the top fuse board. See below pics from Haynes,

post-8687-0-04533100-1530448525_thumb.jpeg

post-8687-0-89372800-1530448555_thumb.jpeg

Thank you for the diagram scans, Mr Moss! We have found the problem.

c24df1733ade2cc87ce1080d9eb8e7b8.jpg

There is no connection between pins 10 and 16 on the light control module. If we bypass the module the light works.

Right now we're doing some intensive Googling to see if the module can be repaired by banging it on a wheelie bin or whether you need to go straight to banging it on a brick wall.