Mondeo hunting

sierraman

Your right it's the art of bangernomics. Problem is, the fuckers get under your skin. Her golf, I spent I Sunday wire brushing ,vactaning and undersealing the sills cos I didn't want to rub the testers face in it. It failed on a split steering rack gaiter. I was so grateful it got two droplinks, an oil and filter change and two track rod ends as well. It's such a nice thing to live with and good late ones are fetching strong money so it s increasingly hard to know when to walk away

• 2 weeks later...

Bad News! 

Ive decided to put this one to bed so to speak. The test is due, it wants the following...

Sills plating at the back

Rear hub carrier bushes both sides

Anti Roll Bar broken at the end - can’t get another for love nor money - this was the decider. 

Not a test failure but the inner driveshaft joint is going. 

I just can’t be arsed with it anymore. So I’ve started looking for something else, don’t know what exactly either another Mondeo or a Focus ideally an Estate but the chances of finding one worth having is slim sub £1000. 

I feel your pain. I had the same with my wife's car, Rover 75. We had it 7yrs. Spent loads on it. Finally it needed sills, rear lower arms, drop links and a tyre. It was going to cost £1000 to put right. Found a Jag X type 3.0. 79000 with a years ticket, £995. The wife has a new car. 

IMG_20200201_120904.jpg

IMG_20191008_094135.jpg

In all seriousness bad luck pal. Your right that it's probably time. Only thing that worries me with moving on is inevitably what you replace it with will be newer. Generally that brings a new set of problems. Stick with fords, they seem to have fucked the job up less than everyone else ?

Yeah, I’m going to look for a Focus Mk2 Estate. I could do with an Estate to be fair, the cars I have get used as a bit of a workhorse lugging timber about and various building materials. 

Saw a Mondeo Mk3 V6 for £600 bit I need to get away from Mondeos, most of them knocking about are on their last legs. 

14 hours ago, 2flags said:

I feel your pain. I had the same with my wife's car, Rover 75. We had it 7yrs. Spent loads on it. Finally it needed sills, rear lower arms, drop links and a tyre. It was going to cost £1000 to put right. Found a Jag X type 3.0. 79000 with a years ticket, £995. The wife has a new car. 

Don't X types rust for sport?

Any argument for getting another Mondeo so you've got a shelf full of spare bits?  

I think if was bangering* these days I'd be in a MK2 Focus.  Mine is currently being driven by the MIL and has presented zero issues since the alternator declared about 8 years ago.  I removed the Ghia wheels because they pitted to fuck and it's started rusting in all the usual Ford places, but mechanically it's brilliant.

17 hours ago, sierraman said:

Bad News! 

Ive decided to put this one to bed so to speak. The test is due, it wants the following...

Sills plating at the back

Rear hub carrier bushes both sides

Anti Roll Bar broken at the end - can’t get another for love nor money - this was the decider. 

Not a test failure but the inner driveshaft joint is going. 

I just can’t be arsed with it anymore. So I’ve started looking for something else, don’t know what exactly either another Mondeo or a Focus ideally an Estate but the chances of finding one worth having is slim sub £1000. 

Can’t you just remove the anti roll bar? Used to do it with Discoverys, supposedly to improve axle articulation but usually because the bushes were knackered. 

1 hour ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Can’t you just remove the anti roll bar? Used to do it with Discoverys, supposedly to improve axle articulation but usually because the bushes were knackered. 

No, if an ARB is fitted as standard on one as far as I know it must be fitted. I’d not be keen running it about like that, could be unpredictable if you had to swerve or brake heavy on the motorway. 

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Any argument for getting another Mondeo so you've got a shelf full of spare bits?  

I think if was bangering* these days I'd be in a MK2 Focus.  Mine is currently being driven by the MIL and has presented zero issues since the alternator declared about 8 years ago.  I removed the Ghia wheels because they pitted to fuck and it's started rusting in all the usual Ford places, but mechanically it's brilliant.

I had one, in fact I’ve an allotment shed full of bits of Mk2 Mondeos. But typically for me I’d not taken the anti roll bar out of the Saloon I had or the back bumper that I could have used when some helmet drove into me. 

Going to look at a Mk4 Mondeo later, at the minute I want something that just works as I’ve an enormous amount to do at work and I’m half way into some significant work on my house. Last thing I’ve got time for at minute is messing about with cars. Sadly.

There doesn`t seem to be many "big" petrol hatchback type of cars around circa late 2000's. I prefer them compared to a smaller estate for driving long distances and lugging stuff about, but a focus estate is still a usefull tool.  Mondeo or Mazda 6 springs to mind, dont fancy an Insignia or Vectra tbh.