Irrational desires: The Humber Sceptre

barrett

So, the vendor of this thing is on holiday in Canada but said he could make sure somebody was there if I wanted to collect asap. Had a bit of a mad evening when I eventually got the okay from him that somebody could be there tonight. First dicking about in the heat getting the trailer hooked up despite the fact it was probably a bit small for the car, then remembering my friend with a big trailer lives just up the road from where the car was, calling him, going to meet at his unit, going over with his trailer etc...

When we actually got there I very nearly walked away. The car was quite a bit rougher than I had hoped, but I suppose there's not much you can do about that. There wasn't any paperwork, however, and I had a semi-bad feeling handing over a big wad of cash to somebody who wasn't the vendor who couldn't show me any proof of ownership or otherwise. But then I thought, fuck it, it's a Humber Sceptre ffs let's just get it loaded and crack on. We'll worry about the technicalities later!

Sadly my imagined 'quick recomissioning' looks like it's gone out of the window. Needs all the brakes doing despite what the ad said, and the exhaust must have a huge hole somewhere because it sounds ridiculous (new exhaust supplied), the 'new' tyres are all crappy budget remoulds by the look of it and none of them match, plus it's fairly crusty in a few tender areas etc etc etc Thankfully, SOD MOT. Have I made a silly mistake? Place bets now!

post-3924-0-26530300-1531170167_thumb.jpg

I decided I was gonna finish work at five for once today so as soon as the clock struck I ran downstairs and started giving this old a heap a proper clean. It's much nicer now the interior had had a going over and at least the glass has shined up even if the paint is flat. I took the glove off the steering wheel and removed the union jacks from the back which has made it roughly 98.9% better already.

Had a look at the spares that came with it and, beside the complete exhaust system, there are various brake bits so I reckon I'm just gonna book it in with my local old car garage and get them to sort all that shit out so I can get on with driving it. I've got enough DIY on the Minor to keep me occupied.

What I do need as a matter of urgency is a set of hubcaps. I guess they are the same as Super Minx or something but with the extra embellisher (which I have in fair condition, but the caps themselves are awful). It just looks shit with bare steels and I'd like to get some caps on as soon as the brakes are working as a psychological 'ain't taking those wheels off again' benchmark.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna really like this car if I can get it working without spending loads of money, I love the way it feels just sat behind the wheel, it feels really 'me', although at the same time it's a bit 'practical classics 1998' which is a bit embarrassing tbh

Partial fleet shot of DULL BRITISH CARS

post-3924-0-29111600-1531254831_thumb.jpg

I'd say on paper the Minor is much less dull than the Sceptre. It was genuinely revolutionary and it was Britain's people's car, as valid and culturally important as a 2CV or Beetle. The Sceptre is 100% conventional in every aspect of its design, but it is screwed together quite nicely and I do think it looks cool. In any case, they're both a bit 'flat caps, deck chairs and chrome polish' for my tastes, but hopefully when I'm driving around in it (and not just looking at it sat in the yard getting dusty) I'll feel more like Jeff Randal than Nick Larkin.

What I do need as a matter of urgency is a set of hubcaps. I guess they are the same as Super Minx or something but with the extra embellisher (which I have in fair condition, but the caps themselves are awful). It just looks shit with bare steels and I'd like to get some caps on as soon as the brakes are working as a psychological 'ain't taking those wheels off again' benchmark.

Pricey, but they're what it needs, I agree:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUMBER-SCEPTRE-1-11-BRAND-NEW-CONDITION-HUB-CAPS-X-4-FREE-UK-POST/142856038540?hash=item2142e2288c:g:3pUAAOSwGzlTuVGN

There are at least 3 singles on Ebay though at much keener prices. Maybe worth buying those and holding out for a third?

I'd say on paper the Minor is much less dull than the Sceptre. It was genuinely revolutionary and it was Britain's people's car, as valid and culturally important as a 2CV or Beetle. The Sceptre is 100% conventional in every aspect of its design, but it is screwed together quite nicely and I do think it looks cool. In any case, they're both a bit 'flat caps, deck chairs and chrome polish' for my tastes, but hopefully when I'm driving around in it (and not just looking at it sat in the yard getting dusty) I'll feel more like Jeff Randal than Nick Larkin.

Ah fair point. We obviously have differing viewpoints and I view cars as interesting or dull, not by how they were produced and viewed when they were current, but what they're like now.

It seems to me that classic car people are getting more boring. I'm seeing endless f*cking VWs, Morris Minors, MGBs, Stags, TRs but very little else. The Minor is a dull but capable starter classic you can get every component or panel new off the shelf, and there's still tens of thousands left. Very popular.

The Sceptre is something a bit out of the ordinary. It's not a car people would naturally gravitate towards owning unless there was some kind of nostalgic aspect to it, as the spares availability isn't brilliant (but not terrible either) and it's not 'sporty' and doesn't have much street cred.

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw one. It's certainly of interest in 2018, that's for sure.

I was trying to work out if I have EVER seen one before and I reckon quite likely I haven't. I certainly wouldn't have taken any notice of one at a car show or whatever and I'm sure I've never seen one on the street. I remember a couple of Super Minxes from childhood and quite a few Arrow series cars of various types, but none of these.

Might have a set of those hubcaps in the shed, I'll have a look in the morning.

Well that'd be flipping brilliant, thanks! I just made an offer on a couple of the cheap ebay ones but would still deffo be interested in a set if you have some knocking about for reasonable money!!

I hope the recommisioning goes fairly painlessly for you but even if it doesn't you can just sit in it. Or sit outside looking at it. I think it definitely falls in to the category of cars that look better from behind. Well done.

Another vote from me, my mum had a Super Minx (unfortunately the crap roof one);

25129728587_cc2168fc56_k.jpg20170821213637_01 by RS, on Flickr

I have strong memories of my mum starting it with the handle on cold mornings before school, and being very upset when it was sold in 1985 in favour of a Dolomite.
Ever since I've had a real hankering for one of the three, Hillman, Humber, Singer. My personal preference is the pre 65 Super Minx, saloon, estate or convertible but I have to agree the roof and fins on the Humber are superb.

Found this 2-doored MK1 a few years ago;;

34950849823_b37a8f2902_b.jpgSun005 (2) by RS, on Flickr

34919600384_58299201ed_b.jpgSun002 (2) by RS, on Flickr

Also this MK2 (better looking in my opinion) with a S/M front end and some Kustom touches;

34950857723_b2157af631_b.jpgSouthend003 (2) by RS, on Flickr

34919607134_51695c0052_b.jpgSouthend002 (2) by RS, on Flickr

35760990895_f5680cb983_b.jpg048 (2) by RS, on Flickr

For those that prefer them stock, how about this Singer estate from a local show recently;

41955593665_24cfcf49d1_k.jpg20180617_123623 by RS, on Flickr

41045397840_987ee42639_k.jpg20180617_123631 by RS, on Flickr

Finally here's the S/M estate my mate has just bought for a stupidly cheap price - I've called dibs on this one;;

43048709131_8cf1ba3761_k.jpg20180627_192719 by RS, on Flickr

Humber, certainly from the Rootes era, always were large, respectable and conservatively engineered cars for businessmen and the middle classes. If nothing else it should be doggedly reliable.

Ye, but it must be remembered the Sceptre only became a Humber at the last minute, it was always planned to be a Sunbeam and was marketed as a sports saloon. Presumably Rootes had been given a fright by the Rover and Triumph 2000s and as the big Hawk and Snipe were traditionally Rover P4/ 5 competitors it was thought a dashing, smallish luxury car that would fit in between the Corsair GT , VX4/90 , sporty* Farinas and these new 2.0 'executive' cars needed their best badge.

If nothing else it should be doggedly reliable.

Thanks, I needed a chuckle.

Today's ten minute tinker conclusion: it needs a carb rebuild asap. Despite cleaning all the jets that I could find it still won't idle and won't really sit below 3000rpm. Not unexpected for a car that's sat for 20 years but I was hoping I could bluff that one out. It's some hideous terrifying Solex twin choke job so I'll try and farm that out to the same garage who are going to do the brakes and exhaust - hopefully this week so I might even have it 'on the road' this time next week!! (He said, optimistically)

All joking aside, your recent foray into post war Brit porridge is still interesting, nonetheless. Like Angrydicky, PC mag 1998 was the zenith of 'attainable old car' reading for me and I devoured each issue as a freshly licenced young driver - but it was always supplemented by C&SC, as I like to dream (and read good articles). On paper, going from Panhards and a fuel injected convertible 404 to a grey 4 door Morris Minor and a Humber is the accelerated decay of youth personified but in reality, I like that you admit that 'dull' old British cars can be really interesting. Watching dollywobbler's old grey Morris test of Squire Dawson's Oxford, I'll admit that I was hooked and can totally see the appeal of such machines.

I think the 'dull' image is the dogged belief that British is (was) Best and that many of the enthusiastic owners of them would never entertain the idea of owning something from 50 miles across the water, say. But then you could say the same about many US car enthusiasts, Aussie muscle guys, Japanese enthusiasts, etc etc. Perhaps that's why I'm not a sports supporter - must be really boring gunning for just one team.

I am trying to work out if this now makes British cars cool; sure, hipsters may covet a Citroen Ami but it's a bit obvious. The real hipster drives a Morris 8  - and just happens to be 82 years old and married for 61 of those years. 

It's a strange predicament isn't it. Really, driving around in any old car in 2018 is pretty unusual and suggests a certain willingness to go against the grain, even if that takes the form of rabid conservatism and a rose-tinted view of the world. I am hyper aware of the image one's car projects but to 90% of people out there a Morris Minor is the same thing as a Panhard, although I suppose in my line of work I encounter a higher than average number of people who know the difference and would pass judgement. I do hope the fact that I'm not a boring old duffer in a Rootes baseball cap means I can 'pull this off' better than some people might but that remains to be seen...