The Austin 2dr 1100 story - Part IV - Now in sharleys hands

SiC

dont cap it completely sealed, it needs to have a drain hole at the bottom, from factory it was a 1/2 inch square that was around 1 1/2 long. Otherwise the wing will have no where to drain too.

Yeah ... I forgot about that. Well I didn't and I left bits pulled out between the membrane and sill for draining. Except I did that a couple of weeks ago and when I welded it up, I forgot what they were there for. So I flattened those bits up and welded them.

Oops!

I'll just have to drill some holes in the sill for drainage purposes. I was planning to do that anyway so I can get Dynax tubes or similar to line the insides with protection.

RE painting. Personally I would hand paint rather than leave it to hope. yes there will be brush marks but these can be rubbed down when the weather is better then sprayed.

Tips for warming up spray cans.

A bowl of very hot water and dip the spray can in for a short while never over heat. Or use a thermal belt from a beer making kit to gently warm the can.

s-l1000.jpg

I was supposed to be tidying the garage tonight. Instead I cleaned up my clutch cover with degreaser, a scraper, sandpaper and wirewool.

821f0968dfe71224fb255e4625f5dc0c.jpg

66bac99ad7335181af84e28d0cb01217.jpg

Any recommendations on paint that is suitable for painting engines and the like with? I think I'll go Morris Green with this. Like everyone else does in this world when painting an A-Series...

Might have been in BMC days, but this is a 1971/2 BL one.

BLACK.

6180054-high_res-the-fast-show-special.j

Yes the aluminium parts are likely not painted and the block is painted black when it came out of the factory - like it is now.

But I want it Green.

Or failing that, purple to upset the purists and a nod to this cars history.

Paint it what ever colour you like. I find if you paint engine enamel then heat proof clear coat it last much longer. The VHT pruple paint in a spray tin is good stuff, i did an engine that colour once.

Factory would have been black and just the block only, earlier cars seemed to be painted all over. 

Yes the aluminium parts are likely not painted and the block is painted black when it came out of the factory - like it is now.

But I want it Green.

Or failing that, purple to upset the purists and a nod to this cars history.

Mrs SiC was puking her guts out this morning, so any thoughts of us going out together were quickly eradicated. But it does mean that this afternoon I've had a chance to crack on with more 1100 stuff.

Didn't start great as pulling my welding cart out of the garage did this.

b93a7daab993b191a07da6aaf2b2c39d.jpg

There is a two inch lip at the edge of my garage and I don't think the cart is especially designed to be kept being dropped down like this. Luckily I can now weld, so in theory I should be able to fix it. Reality is that I cba, so it'll carry on getting worse until it can't be dragged out anymore.

First order of the day was capping off the sill. So according to Sharley above, this was never capped off out of the factory. I could leave it like that as the factory must had a reason for doing this. But then these things rust like buggery, so probably no bad thing to seal off bits that are open directly to the elements.

Cut a bit up to fit.

df935252392104cc3e2e9145632a041f.jpg

Tacked and then run a couple of beads on. This went on remarkably easy. I filled the corner up with several runs of beads on top of each other. I'm getting pretty good at this as some of this metal is so thin, I'm always blowing holes in it!

7acf9ba0e8845b76b85494c1f4c484d4.jpg

Then wizzed over with a flap disc to finish off. I'm quite happy how this has gone.

e1b73f88328825592450122346e8eb34.jpg

Now I keep getting people panicking that I'm not protecting the metal after welding. I usually do put paint on, but it's after I've taken photos. Also I keep using zinc rich primer which doesn't photograph too well. This time I decided to use red oxide.

ac16e266a0e9304703c6f148794f258e.jpg

Also sprayed a bit further a long too.

469d80cebc27a190425ecd7d0c2e8ea8.jpg

Put the subframe mount back on finally. This was damn fiddly and ended up taking longer than that end plate!

570f2f5c458114352712bc192376ef52.jpg

57b5e1e74475320f97c336a2e31927b0.jpg

I'm now at quite a big point. The drivers side floor is in, drivers side membrane & sill is now replaced, subframe mounting plate repaired + replaced and the rear wing attached together in a vague fashion. So after at least 3-4 months cocked on her side, Penelope finally now has all four wheels back on the floor.

ae95221e83e17931c51c2caf874433c6.jpg

dcf945daf08d42700aeb5943e820068c.jpg

Remarkably the hydrolastic suspension is still keeping it reasonably level and doesn't appear to lost any fluid. I have new valves to go on at some point which I'm hoping will cure the leak it had. For now it'll stay as is.

Under the bonnet I started cleaning off the bulkhead of old paint and filler 3+ months ago. Unfortunately some of the welds from where the bulkhead was reattached after previous work in the heater box area haven't held up to my poking and prodding. As I just shut the bonnet after cleaning the metal up and didn't protect it, it's inevitably gone rusty. My bad.

5141a90acac640443e03d7773610abab.jpg

9a32d44ad42f9f6f8fc5aebc9c35b35d.jpg

I did hope that I could just run a few beads along to just reattach the bits of bulkhead metal. However after cleaning up the rust that has developed I don't think I'll be able to do that anymore.

So I ended up going a bit vicious with the flap discs and grinding discs until I had broken off a lot of the bulkhead metal.

e88575799fb268cadb3420b78f1758b3.jpg

It doesn't look too difficult a shape to just put some new plates on, so that's likely what I'll just do. The old bulkhead metal is pretty buggered and wonky. I think it'll end up just a big mess if I try welding those bits back on again.

c1d794bc8058b03b5cb0e287976a212b.jpg

c2cca5cd3f8a56dc6ccec13c58270e79.jpg

After nearly 2 hours grinding, sanding and cleaning that bulkhead I'm fooked. Time to pack up and get something to eat methinks.

Weather tomorroe unfortunately doesn't look too great for more weldings though. :(