The Austin 2dr 1100 story - Part IV - Now in sharleys hands

SiC

Don't say that! I said to Mike that I'd like to get it done by the end of the year. His response was that it would be good going to be done by then!? He says that and he does it for a living too. It's put the fear into me. :o:?

Fucking headlamp peaks! (I'll leave it to Junkman to voice his views on the whitewalls :P)

The reality with red (when not over-saturated)....

13783796615_a5a830eb78_z.jpg

AUSTIN MORRIS 1100 ABD 861D, POLWARTH SEPT 1992 [92/054] NG by Steven S, on Flickr

I used to live just round the corner from there, 7 Merchiston Mews.

If you paint it red then everyone over a certain age will call you Basil.

When explaining what a Austin 1100 to people my age, I usually use the Basil reference! I personally don't mind it.

I also they look pretty neat blue too.

Anyway less talk about painting it, I have a crap load of work to do before then. I might clean down and spray the crusty bits on top to protect the exposed parts to stop them getting any worse. Those pictures above don't quite show quite the work needing to do.

So I haven't actually had a good look at this car yet, apart from a very brief chat with Mike. The car came pretty much when Mrs SiC was doing the weekly house clean and I was supposed to be helping. I also promised that I would get our holiday booked and sorted this evening. Hence to keep the peace, I was busy inside sorting that.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to have a good poke, prod and look round. I'll try to take a few more photos too.

Fingers crossed Mike should be home and safe in around the next hour or two. A very long day for him - especially after all the hold up and delays on the roads.

Painters Touch range is what I've used on the Princess.  I chucked some Halfords lacquer on top which helps with the finish and prevents it fading. I noticed with the darker purple that it faded after being sat outside for several months, not much, you could bring it back with a clean and a wax.  Lacquer seems to stop the fading altogether.  It also improves in colour and finish after the first month or so, and the finish is really very tough. I wonder if it has some sort of rust preventative property to it too because it really does seem to slow down rust coming back even when you put it on rusty stuff and don't do a very good job.  It's very cheap, and easy to get on eBay in large enough bulk to do a whole car.  If you do go this route, get a clip-on plastic spray handle, it'll save your digits from going numb and you can get a more controlled spray when applying.  They're cheap too, I bought mine a good 20 years ago and it's the same design as ones they still produce, and when taking inflation into account it's one of the few things that's actually got cheaper.