Arthur Foxhake

1982 Mercedes 508d LWB. Going green for the future.

Most decent survivors have been exported, and what survivors there are left are Varios. Leeds City Council seemed to stick by em for a while, but they have largely dried up now. Minicoach ops switched to larger coachbuilt Varios years ago such as the Cheetah

Finding any old van or minibus in the UK is a real pain these days. There is so little pre-1995 about and what there is is often in OMG condition. I am looking for a pre-1998 big petrol van - not much around.

Thanks. Removing an engine a bit too much. But a Yank would do ok. If you see anything at an ok price let me know. Cheers

What sort of price range are you looking at, there was an unregistered Econovan at Dream Cars in Redhill but I don't know how much they're looking for.

Finding any old van or minibus in the UK is a real pain these days. There is so little pre-1995 about and what there is is often in OMG condition. I am looking for a pre-1998 big petrol van - not much around.

How big are you looking for?

My 98 Transit minibus will be for sale at the end of summer. Has a 2.0 DOHC petrol engine and is converted to a 2 berth camper.

How big are you looking for?

My 98 Transit minibus will be for sale at the end of summer. Has a 2.0 DOHC petrol engine and is converted to a 2 berth camper.

3.5 tonne or upwards if possible. I have an old style drivers 78 pass licence so I can drive bigger stuff. Not after a camper. I might have found something that would appeal to me in the S. of France so depending on communications I may go look!

Am I right in that fairground vehicles don't need an mot ?

Vehicles registered in the showmans catagory are exempted as special vehicles, ie not possible to test at a standard station or unable to meet certain requirements. This exemption also extends to a vehicle used as a showmans living van and vehicles registered as motor tractors (that's not the right name but I can't remember the class) which can haul multiple trailers.

You can also run exempted for various other reasons.

One of my friends was stopped in his living van by the ministry years ago, he was running legitimately on an exemption, they were overjoyed to find this and promptly sent him elsewhere for a 3 hour inspection, the conclusion of which was one rear light was a little dim.

Running in convoy or with a ride on the back you would probably be ok as it would be too much hastle to stop everybody.

The van above if it's got an organ built into it would probably fall into an specially built exemption catagory.

When using anything on an exemption it's vital to keep on top of repairs and maintenance or you will be target no one at a check point or if you are involved in an accident.

3.5 tonne or upwards if possible. I have an old style drivers 78 pass licence so I can drive bigger stuff. Not after a camper. I might have found something that would appeal to me in the S. of France so depending on communications I may go look!

I can't think of anything modernish that we have in the UK above 3.5t and petrol. Nearest would be a TK Bedford or similar?

Pretty sure the 709D and one or two others were about the same, possibly small versions of the 811?

I had a 609D 4.0 diesel that wasn’t lightning fast acceleration wise, but would motor past a lot of things when loaded and going some.

Pretty sure the 709D and one or two others were about the same, possibly small versions of the 811?

I had a 609D 4.0 diesel that wasn’t lightning fast acceleration wise, but would motor past a lot of things when loaded and going some.

IIRC the 811 was the same engine as the 709 but with a turbo.  The 814 in the Vario was a "tuned" version.

The story Dodgerover quotes about VOSA reminds me of the New Age Travellers in the 90's when they used to get a lot of hassle from the police.

Any shiters from the battle of the bean field era ... my mate recently found some of his pictures from the war zone . Plenty of old vehicles trashed that day apparently

I'd like to see some pics if he will share them.

I'm too young to have been there but was driving about in convoy a bit in the early 2000s and most police couldn't be arsed with us.

One keen officer did pull us all over once and asked where we were headed.

We told him our destination and he didn't know of any campsite there, there was one, just it was unofficial, a farmer with some fields would take money for a pitch and sell you logs for open fires.

After checking the convoy out, one by one, he decided he didn't have enough hours left in his career to go any further and let us go.

Except the sneaky fecker had phoned ahead and told the army we were on our way, near lulworth cove where they play.

They sprang out of bushes, as the lead vehicle, a bay window VW camper, was spluttering up the steep hill stuck in 3rd, as the selector rod had taken a whack from a rock or something.

Stopped the convoy and told us we could go no further as there was no campsite there and they would not allow us to set up a "site".

We gave them the address of where we were headed and they said they had forgotten about that place and we could continue.

Except we couldn't, because the VW was still in third gear and was now stuck on a hill, at the front.

Cue 10 squaddies pushing the thing up hill as Steff slipped the clutch 'till it eventually kangarooed up the hill under its own steam/smoke.

Happy days.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By dozeydustman
      Just about an hour ago I went to start my car up, had Mrs Dustman with me, to go and pick Miss Dustman up from work. Turned over fine but took a while to fire up.

Steering felt heavy. Thought maybe as it's currently -5 + wind chill it's just cold & the fluid is thick.

Started reversing out my bay then I was greeted with:
      "DING DONG" - ABS fault.
      "DING DONG" - ESP fault
      "DING DONG" - headlamp auto levelling not working, contact service.

I shut the car down straight away and we went in Mrs D's Corolla.

Alternator is less than 2 months old, it's a recon unit from Alternator Man in Portsmouth. Hoping the cold isn't killing the battery and it's taking the 'nator out with it (battery passed the drop test last time the no-charge warning came up). Looks like a session with the multimeter after work tomorrow.....

MEH.
    • By dozeydustman
      Mrs Dustman has a dash cam she wants me to fit to her '99 frog face Corolla. It came with a hard wire kit as opposed to the usual fag lighter lead, so I might as well make a decent* job of it and hide the wiring completely. Trouble is I can't remember how I got the radio pod out when I fitted the DAB unit she now has. I've also got a few dash illumination bulbs to change so I might as well do it all in one hit while it's a sunny afternoon.

A bit of googling comes up with the US spec dash which appears to be different from the European model, or the 2002-on model. I seem to remember spudging out the dash vents to access some bolts/rivets.

Failing that, is there an easier place to get a switched live from (besides the radio) that doesn't involve destroying the car's interior?
    • By 1970mgb
      So, someone posted on another thread a link to an Ebay listing for an LHD '74 Marina listed on Ebay.
      I called a little while ago and talked to the seller, and the story is that it was a good running and driving car 10 years ago, but has been neglected and won't run. I'm debating with myself about whether or not I want to take it on as a project.
      I know these had a terrible reputation when new, but at the same time they're actually legitimately rare in the US. I have seen one in person, and most of the estimates I've seen put the number of survivors at 10-20(although I don't know how much we can trust that).
      There's some definite appeal in the engine familiarity for me with the MGB. I MIGHT have to convert it to a manual though. In addition, there's the issue of having it shipped a couple hundred miles to me. It's listed now for $700...if I could do $500 it might be a make or break for me.
      Any thoughts here on it?

EDIT: The car as it sits now is an automatic. If I swapped the transmission, it would be to a manual. Sorry for any confusion from my incorrect statement!
    • By blackboilersuit
      After many a long year of occasional contribution on here I've probably got enough old shite on fleet now to do something I should have done yonks ago and start a project thread.
      The story so far.........
      I had an 02 CRV for 6 years and it performed faultlessly as an car taking everything in it's stride. The only issue with it was the 25mpg it returned but as I worked close to home that wasn't an issue. Cue December last year and a new job saw my commute go up from 4 miles a day to 32 miles a day.

By March I was drowning in green shield stamps so  bought the mighty diesel disAstra from Davehedgehog of this here parish. Shown here on the only off-road parking and only second car parking space I have. The garage contains a few motorbikes so I've always stubbornly stuck to a single car rule so I don't have to move motors to get bikes in and out. More on this detail in a bit.....

A combination of broken motorcycles needing worked on, a bike trip around the Baltic and work meant that I soon realised that I had no time to prep the disAstra for its MOT  at the start of this month. It wasn't worth enough to pay to have the work done so I decided that the poor old thing would be scrapped in favour of a replacement motor.........
      The mighty Volvo (V70 D5) was purchased from Ma & Pa forddeliveryboy of this parish and migrated north of the border back to it's natural home.

Three days after being pressed into commuting service the mighty volvo suffered a (badly) sticking caliper and much burning brake smells that had to be stripped and rebuilt before work the next day. Sticking piston at that so the whole thing was off and the brakes had to be bled afterwards. Two and a half hours in the pissing rain was a bit character building especially as the still MOT'd (by 3 days) and taxed (but not insured) astra was sitting on the drive. Decision made, insurance checked and a soon to be taken out Admiral multi-car policy will see me with two cars on the fleet again. I could have used one of the bikes but motorway commuting in the pissing rain on two wheels is no fun. The volvo needs an MOT in december so having the astra back on the road will take the pressure off getting that done if it needs work and the weather is bad.
      And so as the volvo continues to provide daily service, project astra revival starts. Known MOT work needed is frilly arches,  broken number plate and front discs and pads so nothing major. Thus far the arches have been sorted without resort to duct tape.
      After a bit of prodding.......

And after the angle grinder was let loose surprisingly it was only the return lip that was rotten so the welder was broken out to lash on some roughly cut fresh metal.

Linished off filled, sanded and primed. Note the use of a farmfoods brochure pulled out the bin being used as masking paper for extra shite points.

Followed by a near perfect colour matched (*) top coat....

Well I had black on the shelf and it's good enough to stop the primer soaking up the water so that'll do for now.
      Hoping to get brakes and MOT sorted in the coming week so more to follow soon (hopefully).