1982 Mercedes 508d LWB. Going green for the future.

Arthur Foxhake

• 2 weeks later...

Started the first part of the refit by putting some insulation in.

post-19867-0-16570900-1552330575_thumb.jpg

That was a load of free kingspan from work, a load more picked up today. It's being pulled out of a house we are renovating and would be skipped otherwise so it's a Billy bonus for me. Not cheap stuff, especially at 40mm thick.

Normally 40mm is special order from the merchant.

Also got the first of the "insert choice expletive" sunroofs out.

My flabber is completely ghasted at who thought they were a good idea to fit.

Leaky, heavy and couldn't be opened for ventilation.

Goodbye.

post-19867-0-11109200-1552331115_thumb.jpg

I did other small insignificant stuff and took no pics so you'll have to believe me on that.

It's true though.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't bother with fibreglass for the roof repairs in the end, I just cut some thin aluminium off the roof of the caravan and used wide rivets and plenty of goop to attach it and fill the hole.

Spent ages with the hose running on it and no leaks to report.

Done a load of wiring and pipework, my brother is coming tomorrow to do all my gasworks.

Put some ply on the walls today, only one bit fitted and a template made for the wheel arches.

I've slowed down with the pictures a bit now as I'm just trying to get it done.

Will take some more when there's a decent amount to show.

Apologies for the finger in the way!

post-19867-0-34775500-1553451474_thumb.jpg

More slow progress.

Includes a pic of Bro Foxhake, he's been sorting the gas out. Good thing as well, I'm not competent with that shit, my family will be staying in there and he's a gas Safe plumber by trade.

Paid him with the generator I was selling and a bullseye.

post-19867-0-79664600-1553537268_thumb.jpg

He can do plumbing with his eyes closed.

My 8yr old was trying to point out a van last night - I couldn't tell what he was on about……

This morning - on the way to school - we passed a slightly more modern version of the Merc LWB van. He pointed it out and declared:

"When I'm older - I'm converting one of them into a camper" ……… #parentinggoingwellmethinks

I'll show him this thread later - he'll be chuffed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks. 

I'll do a proper update soon, it's moved on in a few ways, gone backwards in others.

I was very close to throwing in the towel with it recently and even had a buyer who was interested.

I phoned the prospective buyer tonight and told them it was absolutely not for sale any more.

• 3 months later...

Well, it's all painted inside and looks lovely now but, when I was out in it last year for a test weekend it threw a con-rod through the sump on the way back.

It has been parked in disgrace ever since, basically, lost any enthusiasm for it. I'm still paying rent where it lives as I can't decide what to do with it. Engines are expensive and scarce and it still needs lots of other welding completing.

I have an Abbey touring caravan that fits the whole family, a 6 berth Hobby caravan that is sited up and I've just purchased the Granvia so, inevitably, this will have to go unfortunately. 

I'll probably just remove all the solar gear and diesel heater and sack it off to the highest bidder on eBay.

It's a shame after all the work I put in but, I have to admit, I'm never going to swap the engine AND do a load more welding when there are more convenient options around me.

Whaaat?!  Dude, keep going with this old German 🇩🇪 

You’ve come this far.  We all get disheartened when one thing goes right and fifteen things go wrong.  But there’d be little satisfaction if it was easy.

Do a bit at a time and keep your eyes peeled for an engine at handy money.

Good luck 👍