1982 Mercedes 508d LWB. Going green for the future.

Arthur Foxhake

You Sir, are a star!

About 220 busy miles in that, with nil prep and non existent backup, something that hasn’t moved for years and looks like a Steptoe reject?

Bloody marvellous. Well done that man

That sort of tale is what keeps me here. Excellent

You Sir, are a star!

About 220 busy miles in that, with nil prep and non existent backup, something that hasn’t moved for years and looks like a Steptoe reject?

Thanks. That means a lot.

My legs have never ached so much from driving, the throttle linkage was so stiff I used both feet and sometimes even used an arm pushed on both feet for a rest*. That needs looking at as the pedal top is about an inch square so my feet as well as my legs are fucked as that sort of pressure on that sort of area is less than ideal.

Good times though and I can't wait to get started.

You Sir, are a star!

Absolutely.  Me too.

BTW Nigel, near to Liege, but in Germany.  Aachen area?  Just wondered - am well familiar with that territory - Vaals etc....

IIRC the 811 was the same engine as the 709 but with a turbo. The 814 in the Vario was a "tuned" version.

The 508/608D used the 3782cc OM314 rated at 84bhp, 609/709/809D used the 3972cc OM364 rated at 86bhp, 611/711/811D used an LPT variant of the OM364 pushing out 106bhp, 814D was HPT at 136bhp. I suspect the lowest weight Dudos (L307?) used the same mill as the wee 207D. I've never seen a T2 614D or 714D, but I have driven a T2 809D and you could buy a SWB 814D which I expect negated the point of a 714D.

Varios are a different kettle of fish; the 810D, 813D, 614D, 814D, 616D and 816D all used the 4250cc OM904 engine at various power outputs; x13 and x16 replaced x10 and x14 atround 2006.

HOWEVER... if you were a total masochist you could specifiy a 512D or a 612D Vario with the 2.9 5-pot from the Sprinter. No idea why they just didn't used the derated OM904 from the 810D Vario but heyho.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Near Warenne, n e of Liege. Mother gaffe. Pop in/ out to keep a watching brief.

Most of my time now split Normandy ( other ageing p) & U.K right now

There’s a great walk from Liege to Aachen, through Vaals etc. It’s basically an old disused railway line, so cuts through loads of cool wee stations, but most notably, loads of really cool old war emplacements like Fort Batisse etc. Really worth a look, and also very chod-heavy along the way. We used to walk it every year for my mates birthday and camp In the evenings

I got struck down with some nasty 24hour lurgy type thing on Friday and spent 18 hours in bed trying to sleep it off.

Bloody marvelous, was itching to get to work on this all week but yesterday I could only muster enough energy to rip out some more of the inside and prod some bits that give me "teh fears".

Today it is lashing down so there'll be no outside work again but I'll go up and do a bit more ripping out and hopefully get the keys to the shipping container.

I was given a 3 way fridge, small oven and broken generator when I was collecting it and fixed the genny during the week so power tools are go when the rain stops.

I have found a source of repair panels for this.

Quite reasonably priced and the man is an encyclopedia of knowledge on these things.

I went up after work today with the generator and a grinder with knotted wheel attached. Quite surprised how solid some of it is really, don't get me wrong, theres a lot of welding to do but not as much as i previously thought.

With the repair panels, all the cosmetic bits will be easy. The hard bit is where the fibreglass roof meets the metal. The top is going have to come off to do it properly and I'm going to need to push myself into it and get it done.

Cheers for that. I've had no issues finding stuff like wings, the front apron, steps. Nothing for the windscreen surround though, the base of which is shot on mine. Having any part of the vents etc pre-owned will make the repair a lot easier obviously.

I did try the whole T1/TN thing, but that just kept making eBay show me two or three Mercedes items, then ignore the word Mercedes being in the search string and showing me a bunch of T1 VW nonsense.

Searching for 2/308 etc is useless as the model numbers were recycled on the Sprinter range.

I have always had a healthy regard for the travelling fraternity of new-age variety.

Whilst the appeal of the lifestyle is there for me, the unfortunate truth is that there is a very high correlation between the people who follow it and criminality. Every time there has been a group of the Travelling community arrive in an area where I've either lived or known people, the local crime rate has spiked (in various ways.. theft, vandalism, assaults, etc.) and the utter mess and destruction they leave behind is appaling.

Not far from where I used to live in Dorset is the location of the annual Great Dorset Steam Fair. Every year all the local farmers would barricade their field access points. The experience that some of them had had was appaling, including attempted arson. One year there was a major incident where a number of caravans appeared on a farmers field. These were very quickly followed by a number of very large tractors with the buckets ready to remove said caravans. I think every police officer from Dorset and Somerset was present. It was very messy and nearly spelled the end for the GDSF.

Whilst the appeal of the lifestyle is there for me, the unfortunate truth is that there is a very high correlation between the people who follow it and criminality. Every time there has been a group of the Travelling community arrive in an area where I've either lived or known people, the local crime rate has spiked (in various ways.. theft, vandalism, assaults, etc.) and the utter mess and destruction they leave behind is appaling.

Not far from where I used to live in Dorset is the location of the annual Great Dorset Steam Fair. Every year all the local farmers would barricade their field access points. The experience that some of them had had was appaling, including attempted arson. One year there was a major incident where a number of caravans appeared on a farmers field. These were very quickly followed by a number of very large tractors with the buckets ready to remove said caravans. I think every police officer from Dorset and Somerset was present. It was very messy and nearly spelled the end for the GDSF.

I was there that year..............found the whole atmosphere at the event extremely threatening.......never been back.

There is a vast difference between the caravan dwellers and the living vehicle dwellers.

There is a vast difference between the caravan dwellers and the living vehicle dwellers.

I've no doubt. I have met several people who live in vehicles and several who live in caravans. Suffice to say that like all groups of people, there are lovely ones, average ones, and some utter wankers. I'm sure like the correlation between modern Audis and utter wankers there is a correlation between caravan dwellers and utter wankers, but it's just a real shame that if you look at the overall "travelling community" there appear to be more arseholes than there are pleasant people.

Which is a shame, as then the nice ones who aren't thieves, vandals, arsonists or thugs get tarred with the same brush and are made to feel unwelcome wherever they go.

I had a mate at uni who ended up living with a new age type travelling community.  I once ended up dragging his caravan from one site to another as I owed him a favour and he'd got himself a driving ban.  Anyway, he told the story of one time when they pitched up on a field somewhere and the farmer came out with a shotgun.  A brief conversation ensued, which ended with the farmer saying "Sorry, I thought you were Irish pikeys.  As you were."  So yeah, different travelling groups do have different reputations.

Similarly in my historic chod thread you'll find a pic of my then-15-year-old C25 panel van towing a similarly-aged hobby caravan. It looked utterly pikey and I'm stunned I wasn't pulled over at any point. When we rocked up to the caravan park that it was to be parked on the owner nearly had a heart attack when he saw it draw in. 30 seconds of conversation with me and his entire demeanor relaxed somewhat, and he said "I thought I was going to have to call the police"

About 20yrs ago, this lad called Connis used to live on the sofa at my house when he wasn't hanging out up trees with Swampy and A.C.A.B. at various environmental protests.

I've probably mentioned this more than once before but he owed us a load of money for all the shit he'd used and we marched him out of the house and told him to go and get us the cash as we really needed it.

He comes back and I ask if he's got the money? He says:

"I've got something better than money"

And gets a 3ft long Gerry Andersons 'Stingray' model from the hallway.

WTF were we meant to do with that. I mean it was pretty cool but thats not the point.

He's still a traveller living on a bus as far as I know, and still does environmental protesting.

Oh, we also once bet him £20 or something that he couldn't eat a full block of lard. Before he took the bet he had a test run and ate 3/4 of a block but then decided he couldn't do a full one.

Anyhow, I digress. Vehicle is cool.

Don't suppose they're a similarly possible source of repair panels for the smaller T1 vans are they? Especially windscreen scuttle and bonnet...I have a 208D here which is in need of attention in those areas...

Try these people, they have a bonnet listed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-New-Complete-Bonnet-T1-207-307-407-208-308-408-209-309-409-210-310-410/281711272582?fits=Car+Make%3AMercedes-Benz&hash=item41974ce286:g:dr0AAOSwJ4hY~eIh

Edit. Scuttle/windscreen panel found.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Scuttle-Windscreen-Repair-Panel-207-307-407-208-308-408-209-309-409/271790262802?fits=Car+Make%3AMercedes-Benz&hash=item3f47f64a12:g:VPQAAOSwzqFY-gyB

Wish it was that simple to find my panels!

Had a good day stripping out the interior today and exposing some rot.

The worst bit, possibly mentioned before is where the fibreglass roof meets the metal gutter. The drivers side is shot away for the majority of its length and quite an awkward piece to make as original bit I may redesign it to make it as strong as original but less intricate to make up.

I'm also swaying towards deleting the bottom two grooves in the bodyline. Its going to cost a small fortune in panels for something I could easily make, without the detail, and again be just as strong.

post-19867-0-97540800-1540059462_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-52187500-1540059584_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-49806400-1540059706_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-77223800-1540059820_thumb.jpg